Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2023, 18:39   #1
BHPian

Delhi - Shirdi - Delhi : Route Update

Completed the Delhi - Shirdi - Delhi trip as planned.

Foreword
This is a trip which has been in the burner for quite some time, with our (self & wife) plans being chalked out and rewritten frequently since 2019. Covid happened and every plan had to be shelved. Revived the plan this year with apprehensions on the non-stop drive to Indore. The tipping point was the inauguration of Delhi- Mumbai Expressway, which altered the route out of Mandsaur and reduced the time to Indore. Then preparations started with queries on this forum and other colleagues about Delhi - Indore stretch.

I thank fellow BHPians pf007, Totoro11, LordSpymaster for the timely inputs which made this trip a reality. Plus the exuberance of my better half (who is a better driver than me but prefers to sit on the left hand side) to drive down the Mumbai Expressway accelerated the decision to go for it.

Salient updates on the route and road conditions are posted below. Regrets for not having any photographs.

Route Details

Day 1: Delhi - Mumbai Expressway - Lalsot - Niwai - Kota Bypass - Jalrapatan - Ujjain Bypass - Indore. Distance ~ 797 Kms. We started from Delhi at 0530 hrs and reached Indore by 1830 hrs, with a running time of 12 hrs. Prior to start, Google Maps indicated total running time of slightly more than 13 hrs. We took three stretch / food / bio breaks. First one was at Rajwada Darbar in Expressway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
....[*] One functional wayside amenity is this one: https://goo.gl/maps/bmiqq2dCSPDRggPUA
Though the Expressway restaurant facilities are yet to come up to the full 'as planned' state, it was not a handicap as our journey started from Delhi. {Details about the Expressway are already in the thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-12-hours.html (Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours)}. Covered the Expressway on Cruise Control with set speeds of 90/95 kmph.

After the Expressway exit at Lalsot, we took the NH 23 to join NH 52 at Kothun. This part of NH 23 has very good surface and one could clock 80 Kmph without discomfort. After taking the NH 52 till Jhalrapatan (which again was in very good condition) we took the NH 552G to Ujjain. This road in general is in good condition, with short stretches under repair, which did not slow us down much. The second and third breaks were at Batawari and Raipur in fuelling stations.

There was traffic congestion around Ujjain after 1530hrs and Google Maps diverted us ahead of Ujjain through Sahabkhedi Abhijat Bird Sanctuary to join back at the Ujjain Ring Road with a suggested saving of about 30 min. There was moderate traffic on Ujjain Ring road and could reach Indore much ahead of the planned time.

Filled up Diesel at Indore and we called it a day. Day 1 raised our morale with the pleasant feeling of having cleared one major doubt which we had before the start viz. ability to reach Indore before night. It was compounded with the excellent fuel efficiency clocked for the day of ~23.7 Kmpl, which is the highest ever recorded by our Creta.

Day 2: Indore - Dhule - Malegaon - Manmad - Yeola - Shirdi. We started at 0530hrs and reached Shirdi at 1415hrs. Covered a distance of 409 Kms in a running time of 07 hrs.

The rumblers and speed breakers on the highway within and till about 25 kms outside Indore are a bit dangerous with a few of them having no markers. Though there was considerable heavy vehicle traffic, we found them to be thorough and considerate drivers. One has to judge and be aware on the hilly terrains on this route not to get stuck between the trucks considering the climbs coupled with the speed breakers.

The roads up to Malegaon are wide enough with dividers and in very good condition. Thereafter, the width reduces and is without dividers. However the surface is fine enough except in patches which again are under repair. Got stuck behind the extremely long trailers carrying the windmill blades in this stretch. Not one or two, but 5 of them!! Each trailer could easily be around the length of 4 trailers edge to edge. Due to their length, each trailer had to first move to one side prior taking the opposite turn on the road. Overtaking them is the tricky part with one having to be the first vehicle and not a follower overtaker (which in normal situation can also be dangerous).

We took only two breaks prior reaching Yeola, one at Sendhwa and next at Arvi. The Yeola stop was for Paithani saree shopping at Bhandge Paithani showroom at Yeola. This was originally slated for the next day, however decided to wrap it up in this leg as we were ahead of schedule.

On arrival at Shirdi, we proceeded to the MTDC Shirdi Resort where I had booked online. But after seeing the poorly maintained condition of the 'Suite', we hastily decided to shift out immediately.

We could comfortably attend the Aarti and have darshan same day itself.

Day 3: Shirdi - Shani Shinganapur- Yeola - Manmad - Malegaon - Dhule - Indore. We started at 0630 hrs and reached Shani Shinganapur at 0745hrs. After the darshan there, started off at 0830 hrs and reached Indore back at 1830hrs. Total distance covered for the day was 565 Kms in a running time of 10hrs 10 min.

After Shani Shinganapur, we took two breaks at 24x7 Food Mall, Wadala, Newasa and Aggarwal Midway Sendhwa.

The road from Shirdi to Shani Shinganapur is under repair in patches but overall of good condition. After the left turn at Rahuri, most of the road is of concrete and without divider till Shinganapur. From Shinganapur, the Sonai - Shinganapur road is without median till it joins the NH 60 (Aurangabad - Ahmednagar Highway) which is in very good condition. we branched off at Kaygaon to NH48 till Yeola and thereafter continued on the route back to Indore, which we had taken the previous day.

On reaching back Indore, we filled up Diesel once again which indicated a good fuel efficiency of 21 Kmpl for Day 2 & 3 run. Decided to call it a day.

Day 4: Indore - Delhi (followed the return route as on Day 1 except for Ujjain bypass). Distance ~ 797 Kms. We started from Indore at 0530 hrs and reached Home at Delhi by 1755 hrs, with a running time of 11 hrs 15 min hrs. Took three stretch / food / bio breaks.

Since it was early morning with practically no traffic, we drove through Ujjain city rather than the bypass. Reached the first planned breakfast stop at Susner by 0745 hrs, even before the restaurant was ready with breakfast! But the other facilities at this place [Shivay Hotel and Resort Susner] were clean and tidy. We had planned to pack the food for lunch from this place. However had to drop that plan and consume the home packed food for breakfast sitting in the car itself and continue with the drive.

Was planning to have lunch from Debock Restaurant Daulta, but having reached Daulta around 1205 hrs, we continued with the journey without the stop. Thereafter we took the Kothun turn to NH 23 and looked around for good restaurants. We missed the first on the right side and thereafter realised that many seen on the google maps exist only there and not on the route!! Looking around for one, we reached Lalsot and got into the Expressway. Thereafter we got into the first operational restaurant on the left side viz DBD Restaurant by 1425hrs. Used Cruise control again on Expressway with set speeds of 90/95 Kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
Had a filling Thali for Rs.250/- followed by Ice cream, post which we reached home much ahead of the planned schedule in spite of some bottlenecks in the Gurugram - Delhi highway.

I had the vehicle thoroughly cleaned and power washed the next day and filled up Diesel, which returned a fuel mileage of 20.4 Kmpl, for the Indore - Delhi stretch.

Overall this was a very satisfying trip for us with many finds. Since my first long distance drive way back in 1998 when I drove down in a Premier Padmini to Delhi, the improvements in vehicles and highway conditions especially in last few years has made destinations reachable in shorter time with lesser strain.

Some Statistics: -

Delhi - Shirdi - Delhi : Route Update-shirditripstatsapr23.png

Takeaways: -
  • It is a good practice to prepare the schedule with pre-selected anticipated break points. The anticipated distance and time to reach also to be indicated for each point.

• In addition to planning the breaks, this would be a good aid in assessing the journey progress with respect to the overall schedule in slots.

• Though in our case, we were ahead of the planned break schedules, it helped us in judging the overall progress.

• Be careful of cattle in MP.

• Expect rumblers and Speed breakers ahead of & after every populated area and crossings in and outside Indore even on National Highways.

• If traffic is there, be fully aware and judge carefully while on hilly terrain (Manpur, Dara) with the heavy vehicles as they will be hampered not only by the slope but also by the speed breakers.

• In case stuck behind very long trailers (like the wind turbine blade ones), take your time, get to be the first vehicle and then only attempt to overtake.

• It is always a good practice to have some food with you if you are planning to start your journey early morning.

• A four day stretch drive is well within our abilities for us, raising hopes for a possible Delhi - Kerala trip

Last edited by bimal_67 : 8th April 2023 at 19:56.
bimal_67 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 08:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi - Shirdi - Delhi : Route Update

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Route section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 11:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean Shirdi-Rahuri is now motorable and devoid of sinkholes?

You could've done N-S Corridor and Samruddhi Mahamarg as well. Would have made a good 'round' trip.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 11:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

I was also planning a trip north for next month and wanted an update on the sink-hole situation of Mumbai Agra highway in the stretch from Malegaon to MP border.

I had been there in mid August and it felt as if I am playing a racing game on a Brick game console. Playing you miss, I hit with potholes in rainy weather going at 80-100 on an otherwise well laid NH was definitely not fun.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 18:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Does this mean Shirdi-Rahuri … devoid of sinkholes?
You could've done N-S Corridor ….. good 'round' trip.
Yes narayans80, Shirdi -Rahuri road is in good condition except in small patches.
As for giving Samrudhi Expressway a miss, the unfavourable schedule was the only reason. This would have resulted in an additional day as I prefer to avoid driving after sunset. There’s always a next time, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I was also …. in the stretch from Malegaon to MP border…not fun.
This stretch is in very good condition and one can maintain good speed consistently. Be wary in the hill sections as I mentioned in my post. All the best for your drive
bimal_67 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 19:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I have only one question. Why?

Why would you subject yourself for 2 full days of continuous car travel, crossing so many brilliant and unique places, not stop and visit any of them, then spend just a few hours at your destination and then turn back and repeat? 4 days for continuous travel for 4 hours at the destination in a leisure trip is pushing it, even for me.

This is not a criticism of any kind, I am genuinely curious about the thought process here. I am more of a journey is the destination person, but for that, I need to spend time on my journey. Explore some of the places on the way, Maybe spend a day or two extra for it if I have to. If it is just a splash and dash to the destination, might as well fly. In most cases, it is actually cheaper than a road trip this long, and far less tiring and stressful.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 20:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I have only one question. Why? …. This is not a criticism of any kind, I am genuinely curious about the thought process here..
On the face of it, I agree with you Shreyans_Jain. Last time we flew down to Shirdi. We usually explore places enroute as well on our road trips. However, this trip was different with Shirdi visit and darshan in our vehicle being the only agenda. To top it, personally I cherish the sheer pleasure of long drives with good company, in this case with my partner of more than 30 years!
bimal_67 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks