Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 19:21   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad to Srisailam : Route Queries

Hello Guys

I have never driven my car in ghat sections ,now that the srisailam gates are opened,we guys are planning for an overnight trip to srisailam.

my driving exp: 2 months.

how safe is it to drive in car considering my driving exp and also considering that the gates are also opened. Should be book a driver along to drive the car or can we go to a place near srisailam in car and from there take a taxi to the hill top.which is good? or avoid all this , book a cab from hyd to srisailam.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th July 2007, 22:39   #2
BHPian

Do you have enough highway experience?? Please be careful if you do not have any driving experience on highways. If you are not confident, please take driver. Of course, u can safely do the drive if you stick to the rules. you can directly drive to srisailam and near to dam, it is very safe.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 9th July 2007 at 22:41.
Old 10th July 2007, 13:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Romeyo, its quite easy to drive to Srisailam as the traffic is not much on that road and the ghat section is not too curvy or tough to drive like some other ghat sections in india.

Just make sure of the following when you do this trip :-

a) confident to drive on highways? if not, but still want to make this trip, make sure you do an early morning drive from Hyd to Srisailam that way you will get a grip on things

b) make sure you have a passenger who knows how to change the spare wheel ( the ghat is a lonely section with jungle type environment) and dont forget to check the air pressure including your spare.

When you approach srisailam you have a narrow path going down, that could be a little treacherous, so keep a watch out.

It would be real fun to see that water gushing out from those 7 gates, so go ahead and make the trip and post the snaps soon
Old 10th July 2007, 13:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
Hello Guys

I have never driven my car in ghat sections ,now that the srisailam gates are opened,we guys are planning for an overnight trip to srisailam.

my driving exp: 2 months.

how safe is it to drive in car considering my driving exp and also considering that the gates are also opened. Should be book a driver along to drive the car or can we go to a place near srisailam in car and from there take a taxi to the hill top.which is good? or avoid all this , book a cab from hyd to srisailam.

Thanks in advance.
If you know how to drive on highways, then Srisailam is a breeze. Please read my travelogue posted in June.
You do not need a cab to go uphill---the ghat is gentle, but there are a few curves indeed. Before you know it, when you start descending, the dam comes into full view, per images in my travelogue.
If you want to go to the temple, then you need to travel another 20 kms--in which case you need to descend the hill by road, cross the bridge at Pathalaganga,and ascend on the other side. This part has a few hairpins, and some huge speed-breakers, apart from rugged roads,so you need to be careful.
Best of luck!
Old 10th July 2007, 18:53   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys for replying pretty quick, Highway exp i went to Nizamabad and came back ....the concern was when we enter the dam and we have to cross it to go to the temple ,now that the gates are opened few of my friends told me taht the visibility would be poor ..taht was my concern.

Confidence I have it , just trying to not be foolish.

We guys are planning for the overnight stay.

DAM
Temple
Pathalaganga

any other places whihc could be visited? do we get booze over there or is it best to carry the booze and enjoy in the hotels?
Old 10th July 2007, 23:05   #6

I suggest, July is the best month to visit Srisailam. You can reach srisailam within 5 hours if you drive Fast. But, check the route, there are 3 major diversion you have to notice.

1. Before reaching kalwakurthi town, take left for bipass the town.

2. You have to take Right on the Kalwakurthi Devarakonda Road (app.. 10 Km from Kalwakurthy).

3. After crossing 'Dindi' Village, (after 20km from Dindi), you have to take left.(No proper display boards at that junction).

The checkpost at munnanoor will close between 9pm - 5:30 am. If you want to plan to reach srisailam in the night better start around 4PM in Hyderabad, so that you can cross the forest checkpost in time.

The other places to visit:

1. Bheemuni Kolanu.. If you are interested in Trekking you can enjoy this place. To reach this place, you have to walk almost 3 km's inside forest. Directions to nearest point: You have to take left at Paladhara - Panchadhara while going towards Srisailam. Bheemuni Kolanu is really good place in rainy season, The water falls from big single steeply rock. You can enjoy a lot there.

2. Istakameswari Temple: This is another place where you 'll enjoy the Journey. The way to this Temple is amazing, It's Purely Off-road, even I amazed how the 'Commander' Jeeps are going on those stones (Actually, there is no proper road to reach the temple). You can enjoy a full day there. It almost 25kms to Srisailam and to reach that place, you have go through rental Commander Jeeps(Only these vehicles can able to reach that place). The Temple is small, but year by year the number of pilgrim's are increasing. There a good scenic place near to the temple, if you like to roam around. You won't found any food or other facilities, because, it's in the Deep forest.

3: Akkanna Caves...: This is another place where you enjoy the boat ride. To reach there, you have to book through tourism. or visit Tourism website (vacationplanrs.org) - I'm not sure). AP Tourism board 'll conduct Daily 2 Boat Trips to these caves. You have to go in boat around 2 hours.

You can booze there near in forest, not in srisailam. Officially, Boozing and Non-veg are banned in Srisailam. You can get all kind of drinks nearby small town 'Srisailam Project Town', which is 12km away to srisailam.

Reg.. Hotel, I suggest choose the Tourism hotel near Pathalaganga. That's one of the best place to stay in Sraisailam. As per I know, Srisailam is the only place in AP where you find the Hotels (Sathrams in Telugu) are in Castewise. I didn't know why? I think those are there since Centuries.
hyderabadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2007, 10:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Info Hyderabadi.

Romeyo, best is to avoid eating non-veg and having drinks at a holy place. you can enjoy that on your way back. Just a friendly advice
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2007, 13:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

The bridge is about 400 metres away from the dam, so visbility should not be affected. Nevertheless, the bridge has many uneven bumps, so drive slow.
Even after you cross it, there are many speed breakers and hairpins at Pathalaganga.
Have fun !
Old 11th July 2007, 20:24   #9
BHPian

Very good information Hyderabadi. It helps a lot for them who tour Srisailam. Have not known much about the surroudning places. A good information.
Old 12th July 2007, 00:39   #10
BHPian

My Kudos to all of you guys ....great info...any BHP members game for it?
Old 12th July 2007, 10:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Kudos to all of you guys ....great info...any BHP members game for it?
Have a safe trip. I have quite a few drive plans this month and next time for sure. Cheerio !!!
Old 17th July 2007, 14:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Romyeo, did you make this trip?
Old 17th July 2007, 19:11   #13
BHPian

@Hyderabadi, that's quite a good info you shared with. Thanks a lot. Would not have known about all those places otherwise.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:50   #14
BHPian

hey Avi ......

I did go to Srisailam on July 14th ..collating the pics so that can write a travelougue...it was amazing,as you guys stated. i felt by looking at the ghat section that i could have driven it with ease..it was as dangerous as I was expecting and I didnt take my car went in an chauffer driven Innova...will post the pics soon... thanks everyone for the great info.
Old 19th July 2007, 12:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hey Avi ......

I did go to Srisailam on July 14th ..collating the pics so that can write a travelougue...it was amazing,as you guys stated. i felt by looking at the ghat section that i could have driven it with ease..it was as dangerous as I was expecting and I didnt take my car went in an chauffer driven Innova...will post the pics soon... thanks everyone for the great info.
uhmm, not in your car

Anyways, i am sure you had a whale of a time. Look forward to the report and pics soon. Ciao !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks