Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2022, 01:13   #1

Bengaluru to Mumbai in a 7-year old BMW

Hi everyone,

Planning to drive to Mumbai on the last weekend of this month with my wife and 5 yo. Wife has misplaced her license and it is MH issued so she can't drive now until we get back and get it renewed so I will be doing all the driving. But honestly no complaints about that

Just a few Qs.

The car has 60k on the ODO but has been pretty much idle since November. I take it out for a short drive once a week. She was last serviced in July 2021 and isnt due for a service for 3 more months. My parents drove down in November and flew back. We were supposed to drive her back in December but then Omicron laid waste to those plans.

1. What steps do I take to prep the car for this long drive? I have never done a 15-18 hour drive all by myself?
2. What should I keep handy in the car?
3. I don't have a spare wheel. The car has run-flat tires. Should I risk it?
4. What would be a good place to stop near Kolhapur, since we are planning to stop overnight?

Thanks in advance BHPians.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th April 2022 at 06:20. Reason: Corrected minor typo in numbering.
ajilphilip is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 06:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Bengaluru to Mumbai in a 7-year old BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajilphilip View Post
Hi everyone,
Planning to drive to Mumbai on the last weekend of this month with my wife and 5 yo.
Just a few Qs.
1. What steps do I take to prep the car for this long drive? I have never done a 15-18 hour drive all by myself?
4. What would be a good place to stop near Kolhapur, since we are planning to stop overnight?
Good on you to take on such a road trip. My 3 GT is October 2015 58,000 kms and I’d take it in a heartbeat to Goa / Bangalore or similar. Touch wood, it remains immaculate, tight and completely reliable to date.

Your wife’s driving license on digilocker / similar

Firstly (and most importantly), if your wife has a photocopy or otherwise has all details of her Drivers license, please check if you can upload it using the details to one of those digital portals like DigiLocker. If you can do this, it is as good as carrying the physical licence and you immediately have two drivers even for the trip out. Please do check on this. Per my recollection this is possible. There are a couple of valid online portals so please do check each of them.

Point wise, to your questions

1. I would usually send my car to BMW for a general check up if my service was anything more than 3 months old, before undertaking any significant road trip. At best they would report nothing but this is the least I would always do and ask them in particular to check battery health and the status of all fluids.

Other than that, I’d just check status of tyres, wheel alignment and get a tyre shop to check for anything unusual including any slow puncture or something which I’ve not noticed.

Some other tips since you might be the lone driver doing long hours at the wheel. Please do pay attention to your fatigue. Given how hot it is at least towards Maharashtra, do consider whether you want to do early AM (like 4 AM) departures. That way, you’re heading into daylight within a few hours, you cut out a lot of heavy post 7 / 8 am traffic for a good part of the way and you get less fatigued since you’re minimising driving hours in glaring sun. Personally I also try to eat light during the drive for such long journeys and stay well hydrated with both water as well as drink coffee as per needs.

2. A high quality air compressor, something from Michelin or similar as well as a puncture repair kit (they are very easy to use and you should check YouTube on how to use them). Particularly since you don’t have a spare wheel. If possible, do keep a space saver handy too. Check whether your tyre change toolkit is in order with no key parts missing and does it actually work (get it oiled or something if its never been used and is not functioning smoothly).

Other than that I guess a basic first aid kit I suppose and any basic medicines that you carry while traveling. There’s no end to what people might consider as basic travel stuff. I carry my own coffee too.

3. Yes, that’s fine. If you can get a space saver spare wheel its ideal. But overall see my reply to 2. above - you should be able to manage. The only thing I’d say is make sure you have an active RSA (as a last means resort/ insurance policy on any mishap) and check the terms of that RSA (what range they cover etc) and keep their numbers handy. But like I said, a space saver would be ideal.

4. Kolhapur is a good distance for your overnight wait. Sayaji Kolhapur is a great place to halt. Its not too far from the highway, is well appointed, and has good, safe parking. Do consider dinner at Dehati (famous for Kolhapuri food) - specially if you enjoy good mutton. Its not too far from this place.

Have a safe trip, and if you need anything when you’re in Mumbai or face any issues please do feel free to connect. Would be happy to help out

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th April 2022 at 06:30.
Axe77 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 08:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Bengaluru to Mumbai in a 7-year old BMW

Quote:
Wife has misplaced her license and it is MH issued so she can't drive now until we get back and get it renewed so I will be doing all the driving.
If the DL is valid and you have details, download mparivahan and get virtual DL as well RC for your car. Insurance, PUCC is also updated automatically. Remember, pictures or photocopies are not acceptable but virtual DL/ RC on this as well Digi locker are.

Quote:
What steps do I take to prep the car for this long drive? I have never done a 15-18 hour drive all by myself?
Break into 2 days if you have not done so long drive.

Quote:
What should I keep handy in the car?
Keep tyre inflator as well puncture repair kit. If the battery is fine it's ok else keep a pair of jumper cables for emergent use.

Quote:
I don't have a spare wheel. The car has run-flat tires. Should I risk it?
No, If you have space, keep a full size, else get a space saver. BMW sells the kit at around 30-40K, or you can find it cheaper in the market. It serves well for the intended purpose - driving at speeds up to 80.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th April 2022 at 08:20.
Turbanator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 08:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bengaluru to Mumbai in a 7 year old BMW 3GT

Quote:
The Fern, Kolhapur
Sai International, Kolhapur
Fairfield by Marriott, Belgaum

Do check if Belgaum might be a better halt for you.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 08:37   #5
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru to Mumbai in a 7-year old BMW

Remember to Tank up in KA as fuel price in MH is more by about 10 Rs per liter
W@SIM is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 09:01   #6

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Planning to drive to Mumbai on the last weekend of this month with my wife and 5 yo.

Just a few Qs.

Thanks in advance BHPians.
1. You will be all too enthusiastic on day 1, please don't over do it by driving for 15 hours or more. If you have planned a night halt you can spread the distance equally in both days. Do check out decent hotels on the way and keep them handy so you don't have to at the end of a tired day. Indian highways can be taxing in some crowded parts

2. Baby food and anything your 5 year old needs is top priority, snacks, water, toilet roll, red bull/ coffee or whatever your favorite legal drink is! Don't forget baby seat fixture, music you can mostly play it from online if you don't have a Playlist

3. Invest in a spare tire unless you are an expert at changing tires at 7.30 pm on a highway, that reminds me of a good quality portable light fully charged, should be part of your kit

4. Check out good hotels on cleartrip/ Makemytrip and someplace where both wife, kid and especially you get a good night's rest on day 1

Happy driving! Safe drive!
Balajiriyer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 09:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Do it in two days, avoid night time driving and enjoy a stress free drive.

Bangalore > Lunch at Apoorva restaurant Davangere (good facility, avg food) > Overnight stay at Fairfield by Marriott @ Belagavi

Belagavi > Lunch at ?? > Mumbai

Be prepared to deal with a flat tire. Carry tire pressure gauge, tire inflator and spare tire (or space saver) kit.

Have a good playlist and enjoy!
androdev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 09:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

In terms of splitting the drive I second the option of Fairfield Marriott at Belgavi as another option based on your preference on optimum distance split. It’s not a detour too off the highway.

Either that or Kolhapur both are doable based on your own comfort. They’re not TOO far apart.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 10:41   #9
BHPian

While I agree with everyone in terms of what you need to check in your car as well as the requirement for medical kit , tire inflator and spare, where I disagree is in terms of breaking your journey.

Bangalore to Kolhapur can be covered in about 10 hours. Another 4-5 hours and you would be in Mumbai.

If you can start by 4 AM tops, you would be able to easily reach Mumbai - Pune expressway exit near Vashi by 6 PM in the evening. you need to budget at least another 2 hours from the exit to wherever you are staying in Mumbai due to the ongoing Metro work.

Keep a separate folder ready with all your vehicle related documents - Car RC, Insurance, PUC and License - since the cops tend to stop non MH cars at the border for a quick buck. Also please ensure that both of you in the front wear your seat belts since they check that as well.

Carry at least 3-4 cups of tea/coffee and food / munchies. It helps you stay awake and reduces your need to take too many breaks. You can thank me later for this.

My general itinerary:

I start from 8th Mile on Tumkur road latest by 4:30 AM and generally stop for a refuel at an HP petrol pump before Belgaum since it is right next to a CCD. We break here for a quick coffee and leg stretch break (Location: https://goo.gl/maps/g9TqwAwaZVQJwQzN8)

Next stop is Amar Veg around Satara - The food and tea here is very good and will give your legs much needed stretch. This would be around lunch time around 2/2:30. (Location: https://goo.gl/maps/F2zS6DuKhDEL6CS97)

I do my final refueling at the Shell petrol pump that is just before you get into Mumbai - Pune expressway. (Location: https://goo.gl/maps/FngrH7JGyi4NnYgv8)

With this, I am able to cover the distance in about 15 Hours with the breaks. Total drive time is about 13/13.5 hours.

I use the Mi Inflator and I am satisfied with my usage so far. Luckily I have not had to use this on the highway, but during my recent trip to Tirupati when I got delayed going to the petrol pump to get my tire pressure checked and corrected, I used it to top up my five tires and it served well. It is compact and works on a battery. The newer version available now is claimed to have better speed and capacity. You can definitely consider it.
normaltusker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 10:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Bangalore > Lunch at Apoorva restaurant Davangere (good facility, avg food) >
Is this the one on the bypass? and is it OPEN, recently saw a google review mentioning it closed.
Old 12th April 2022, 14:03   #11

Wow, thanks everyone for the tips.

Has anyone used the Go Mechanic compressor? It runs off the car battery but I see a good price difference between it and the ones with a built in battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@SIM View Post
Remember to Tank up in KA as fuel price in MH is more by about 10 Rs per liter
Always useful information. Will definitely stop before crossing the border.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th April 2022 at 14:10. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the 1st post.
Old 13th April 2022, 10:02   #12
BHPian

I would say you can drop the car in at BMW and have them look at the essentials e.g. oil levels, coolant levels etc. Generally this should not take more than 45 mins.

Since the car was sitting for a while, make sure that there are no issues with the tyres and the battery. Again, BMW guys can help you with that.

I second the Fern at Kolhapur, it is a nice place.

Overall, I wouldn't stress too much, your machine is a BMW afterall and such kind of mile-munching is its true-calling. Maybe also have a nice playlist ready to beat the highway blues!

If there are any issues in Mumbai, feel free to reach out!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Planning to drive to Mumbai on the last weekend of this month with my wife and 5 yo. ....
Just a few Qs.
I would just reiterate what BHPians Axe77 and AKSarkar1 have said.

Sayaji Kolhapur would be the place to halt eyes closed. I wouldn't recommend anything else. Don't miss out on dinner at Dehati, as Axe77 said. It's right next door to Sayaji.

If I were you, I would hand over the car to BMW and ask them to do a check up. Please do get a Fastag, if you haven't got one. Keep papers in order, cops are usually present right before the entry to Kolhapur city on the highway.

You will enjoy the drive from Bangalore to Kolhapur. Leave early. Be aware of drowsiness, in case you aren't used to driving for long durations. Tumkur-Hubli section can induce drowsiness thanks to arrow straight stretches and sparse traffic.

Try halting at Rajasthan Dhaba post Dharwad, for some good Lassi. Food, at your own risk. Way too spicy.

Tank up over here, before entering MH https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bh...6!4d74.3345704

Next day too, would be better to leave from Kolhapur by 9 am latest, in case you want to beat early evening Bombay traffic. Search for Hotel Abhiruchi for some good snacks post Satara.

On the Kolhapur Satara stretch, be aware of really slow moving tractor trailers hauling sugarcanes. Also be patient with two wheelers. Since Karnataka has six lanes and good service roads, you'd find a lot of two wheelers on the Maharashtra stretch in comparison, which lacks service roads.

Beware of speed cams on the expressway. Speed limits are haphazardly displayed. Stay within 100 to be safe.

Have a happy and safe journey!

Last edited by TROOPER : 13th April 2022 at 11:10.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She was last serviced in July 2021 and isnt due for a service for 3 more months.
Why don't you advance the next service and get it done now? The car will get a once over with the technicians, you can do a little driving in between and on the day of your road trip, you'll be at peace.

Its a modern day car. Little can go wrong with it. As long as your tires are in good shape, you have nothing to worry about.

An advance Safe travels.
Old 13th April 2022, 12:04   #15

I travel medium to long trips (~400km) overnight or daytime with family and these are my primary checklist.

1. I am using a crysta and understand that almost all modern cars are capable of doing such long rides and should be safe as long as we are not pushing the machines to its limit. A friend of mine travels during holidays to his home town from work place, which is ~450km away, with family in a nano.

2. Normally, I do the following before all very long rides with family.
a. At least a basic check from the authorised service centre. {it is easy for me as the service centre is close to where I stay}
b. Ensure fuel, tire pressure, oil and spare wheel status before the ride {have a practice of resetting the meters before starting, just to track}
c. Ensure a working tire inflator is available. I have a regular one and an mi as well.
d. For night travels always keep more than adequate quantities of water and a torch
3. Never travelled without a spare tire. I had a bad exp where the back left tire got punctured and damaged beyond repair. It was night and noticed a few minutes later (it was WagonR and noticed a slight one side pull and when checked, found this) and by the time the tire had totally gone bad and the spare wheel saved us at that night.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

/Govind
Govind is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks