Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2024, 18:33   #886
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Please note that you will be fined for both spot speeding and sectional speeding as well on the same drive. My brother completely unaware of the speed rules and fines in place, went zipping on this expressway to end up with 2 spot speeding and 2 sectional over speeding fines for a total of Rs.4000.

He also received a call from Mandya station as soon as he exited the expressway to go along with the car and pay the fine. May be because he was well over the speed limit. He is yet to visit the station and settle the fines.
fast_elegance is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 21:02   #887
Senior - BHPian

This is getting interesting. Is this a fair practice to impose fines like this left and right, without showing a proof of the violation.

Not sure how it works. I got a fine stating sectional over speed. But I am cent percent sure, I never went above 100kmph, but was on middle lane. So assuming both first and second camera must have spotted me on middle lanes and calculated the average speed, but what if I had switched to the right lane for the entire distance in between the camera's? Then I am good to go with 100kmph right? So what is the logic here and how did it presumed I drove on middle lane in 100kmph through out?

Now if this what it is, if one has to drive on the middle lane (if that's where one is supposed to drive, the right one being for only over taking), then he has to stick with a speed limit of 75 kmph, just to be on safer side to avoid any error in the system. Then it will feel like crawling on the expressway, and i.e after paying a toll of Rs 300+.

How about using the service road then?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th August 2024 at 21:18.
Old 5th August 2024, 21:13   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
This is getting interesting. Is this a fair practice to impose fines like this left and right, without showing a proof of the violation.

Now if this what it is, if one has to drive on the middle lane (if that's where one is supposed to drive, the right one being for only over taking), then he has to stick with a speed limit of 75 kmph, just to be on safer side to avoid any error in the system. Then it will feel like crawling on the expressway, and i.e after paying a toll of Rs 300+.

How about using the service road then?
Technically I have the right to ask for evidence. If I need evidence I might have to run around. last year sometime, I got fined for passenger not wearing seat belt. At the time of so called violation, my wife was in passenger seat and she wears a dark sweater / dupatta which sort of hides the seat belt. I went to Jayanagar traffic police station and the officer informed me that I need to go to Ashok Nagar or MG road to see the evidence. I was pissed off and paid the fine. Later the Inspector informed me that since I have settled the fine, the photo would have been deleted from the database and I cannot view it.

Speaking about the service road, I would advice against that. On Saturday there was a political Rally and the service road was clogged for a few KMs.
Also, I think some folks drive till Bidadi on the service road, then join the express way and drive all the way till Srirangpatna and exit before the toll to avoid coughing up.
Old 6th August 2024, 09:54   #889
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been on the Mysore expressway 4 times recently in 2 different cars. I have checked for any fines on both cars in both the KSP websites and there are none. We kept to 90-100 kmph in middle and right lane (when overtaking), hence I was saying if one trusts the car speedometer and keeps to under 100 in middle/right lane it is quite safe.

Does anyone have a first hand experience of being fined for > 80 kmph on the left or middle lanes (does challan call out specifically that lane speed limit was breached?). I have my doubts on this one. While tracking instant/spot speed at the camera locations is easy, so is tracking Sectional speed because the ANPR cameras know your location and time.

*Note: there was a typo in my earlier post and I have requested MODS for an edit.

While most cameras show your speed as 3-5 kmph less than what your speedo shows, there are some that show exactly same speed as speedo, hence my advice on trusting your speedo and not assuming that 103-105 kmph will be considered as 100 at all camera locations.

Last edited by NPV : 6th August 2024 at 10:02.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 12:16   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
While most cameras show your speed as 3-5 kmph less than what your speedo shows, there are some that show exactly same speed as speedo, .
@parasanth_DIYer has mentioned correctly about the positive error in speedo readings on a vehicle. I think this is a global practice by car manufacturers.

The only reason I can think of when the displayed speed would match vehicle speed is when the car's speedo itself is showing a lower speed than normal - and this would happen when the tyres are upsized. More the upsize, lower the speed displayed.

eg;
My Tata vehicles show a 4 kmph over the actual speed
My other car has 215/75 R15 instead of 205/70 R15 and here the speed now displayed is the exact vehicle speed.

If you know of specific cars on stock tyres, or otherwise which show the exact speed, please share.
Old 6th August 2024, 14:07   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not sure how it works. I got a fine stating sectional over speed. But I am cent percent sure, I never went above 100kmph, but was on middle lane. So assuming both first and second camera must have spotted me on middle lanes and calculated the average speed, but what if I had switched to the right lane for the entire distance in between the camera's? Then I am good to go with 100kmph right? So what is the logic here and how did it presumed I drove on middle lane in 100kmph through out?
Quote:

Does anyone have a first hand experience of being fined for > 80 kmph on the left or middle lanes (does challan call out specifically that lane speed limit was breached?). I have my doubts on this one. While tracking instant/spot speed at the camera locations is easy, so is tracking Sectional speed because the ANPR cameras know your location and time.
Yes I have. Quoted in my post above. Challan doesn’t call out anything else apart from saying sectional over speed.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 14:15   #892
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you know of specific cars on stock tyres, or otherwise which show the exact speed, please share.
My Harrier is on stock 235/60/R18 tyres and some cameras displayed exact speed as shown on the speedo while others showed 3-5 kph less than speedo.
The same happened when we were in a friends Thar which is also on stock tyres.

Quote:
Yes I have. Quoted in my post above. Challan doesn’t call out anything else apart from saying sectional over speed.
One way to cross check would be if you have a dashcam with GPS.

Last edited by NPV : 6th August 2024 at 14:18.
Old 7th August 2024, 10:44   #893
BHPian

76 speeding vehicles caught on Bengaluru-Mysuru highway.

Days after Karnataka police announced the booking of drivers exceeding the 130kmph speed limit on highways, police have booked 76 drivers and registered cases against them. All the cases were booked on the Bengaluru-Mysuru access-controlled highway on Thursday and Friday, with a majority being against SUVs and MUVs.

Last week, state police announced they would register FIRs against drivers on highways if they crossed the 130kmph speed threshold. ADGP (traffic and road safety) Alok Kumar, while referring to road accident casualties, had said about 90% of fatal accidents were due to speeding and rash/negligent driving.

“On the first day, we registered FIRs against 33 drivers, and on Friday, 43 vehicles were booked. We’ve not booked anyone for just touching 130kmph; all errant drivers were given an error margin of 5-10 km over and above 130 kmph,” an officer said. A majority of the cases were booked between Ramanagara and Mandya on both days. Errant drivers could face imprisonment up to six months or fine of Rs 1,000 or both.
murthy_p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 10:54   #894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Harrier is on stock 235/60/R18 tyres and some cameras displayed exact speed as shown on the speedo while others showed 3-5 kph less than speedo.
The same happened when we were in a friends Thar which is also on stock tyres.
Also depends on how well the speed camera is calibrated and corrected. Thats the reason the police themselves consider a threshold of 105 as margin for error. 5kmph above the limit is the standard in most countries to levy a fine.
Old 7th August 2024, 14:16   #895
Senior - BHPian

Got one more challan on my return yesterday. Now this was taken by camera just after the Manipal jn towards Bangalore. Much ahead of toll. So the cameras are not just between toll booth to toll booth.

Though I maintained within 80/100 between toll to toll, this initial stretch I think I was hovering around 100-110 couple of times assuming there is no speed limit for that stretch.

So in all 2000/- gone to and fro. It’s instant, by the time you reach home it will be loaded in the system if you have violated. Good luck!!
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 18:05   #896
Distinguished - BHPian

This is quite confusing now on what is acceptable and what is not. I still assume as long as I am below hundred all across, I should not get flagged in both the spot speed and the sectional speeds. Or if I am in the middle lane, I have to be under 80 at the camera locations?

Also, are folks able to pay? I tried twice. Both time money has got deducted but no confirmation and the fine is still there. Not sure what to do. Keeping aside the point that the challan itself is wrong. I was just eating a bite of a cream bun
Old 7th August 2024, 18:24   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

^^As soon as you enter the main highway from the Mysore end - set cruise to 100, the first mast is at Kalasthavadi itself. You can be spot fined or sectional speeding fined, so its a 1+1 offer

Onwards to Mysore after the last toll, there is some scope for bravery but otherwise stay under 100. There are some folks who have figured out how to speed up after a section till they reach the next section and avoid the fines, just a matter of time they link all of them.

So set the cruise control, some nice music and relax.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 20:03   #898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This is quite confusing now on what is acceptable and what is not. I still assume as long as I am below hundred all across, I should not get flagged in both the spot speed and the sectional speeds. Or if I am in the middle lane, I have to be under 80 at the camera locations?
I'm also interested in the correct answer to the above. In our recent Coorg trip, I religiously used CC at 97-98 km/hr except when forced to slow down and then accelerate manually for whatever reason. BUT I stuck to the middle lane except when overtaking. Was I at fault doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Onwards to Mysore after the last toll, there is some scope for bravery but otherwise stay under 100. .
I'd stick to 97/98 just to be on the safe side. I also think many of the sectional bits are already linked up.

Again, definitely do make at least the front pax wear seatbelts (I do for all) and do not use a mobile while driving even to look at navigation. Those ITMS cameras are HD++ and the AI tech can immediately flag it as a violation.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 20:41   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Or if I am in the middle lane, I have to be under 80 at the camera locations?
Yes! Yes! Like I said in my few posts above, I was diligently maintaining 100kmph, but was on the middle lane most of the time assuming lane speed is not tracked. But I got the challan for sectional overspeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
In our recent Coorg trip, I religiously used CC at 97-98 km/hr except when forced to slow down and then accelerate manually for whatever reason. BUT I stuck to the middle lane except when overtaking. Was I at fault doing that?
Yes, middle lane speed limit is 80. You may once check that challan link shared in one of the post above and see whether you got one. But I guess they started enforcing this only since Aug 1st or so. So if you drove before that, you are spared.

One issue now I see is that, say you are cruising at 100kmph on right lane and you encounter a slow moving vehicle (eg 80kmph) in front of you and you have no way except switch to left lane. But need to bring your speed to 80 before you do that, else you may be caught if there is a camera right above. Now if you reduce speed to 80kmph, there is no purpose of it as you cannot overtake anyways that vehicle because he may is also cruising at 80kmph in right lane.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 7th August 2024 at 20:42.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 00:19   #900
BHPian

Quote:
But I guess they started enforcing this only since Aug 1st or so. So if you drove before that, you are spared.
I checked for my other car and found 2 challans issued on 21st July for sectional overspeed in this stretch. Looks like these rules have been implemented in July itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks