Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2023, 16:38   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil@KA25 View Post
I was making a very tiring effort, trying to maintain around 90-95 kmph on the rightmost lane...
This is incorrect road usage. The rightmost lane (closest to the median) is not meant for continuous driving.

Quote:
I wonder how do Cruise control users manage to stay alert / engaged while driving?

I sing along with my Spotify playlist :-)
Old 30th December 2023, 19:11   #782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

While I was not looking forward to be the challan books of the speed cops, I was making a very tiring effort, trying to maintain around 90-95 kmph on the rightmost lane (I drive a Ford Aspire TDCI - with no cruise control) But I felt, keeping that speed was quite risky / dangerous for "me", for - I have to keep checking the speedometer and some how - that continuous constant speed on the plain straight road with the constant hum from the car was making me feel sleepy!! I wonder how do Cruise control users manage to stay alert / engaged while driving?!!

If time is not a constraint, I would rather use the Nelamangala - Kunigal route which despite slightly longer (by about approx - 50KM?), is more scenic, has good eateries, the road curves and the occasional rumblers on the road and you can floor the pedal on clear stretches of road, all of which keeps the driver engaged.
The best way to travel between Bangalore and Mysuru is the new tollway, unless some stars align in such a way that traffic comes to a stand still for hours together.

There are roads in TN/AP where you can max out your speedo and still find it boring, so it's all about our ability to adapt to situations and keep ourselves alert behind the wheel.

But yes this road can induce tunnel vision / highway hypnosis etc given the right conditions , I'm sure many other roads too can.
Old 2nd January 2024, 10:27   #783
BHPian

Did multiple trip last week on Bangalore Mysore Expressway and then returned on 1st January.

The number of drivers hogging the right most lane at varying speed is only increasing day by day. Initially it was buses and mini trucks, then it was cabs and now I see a lot of private car drivers doing the same.

These private car drivers appear well educated, but still prefer to break the law and inconvenience other motorist. Just because they want to arrive home safe, they are breaking the law and forcing other drivers as well to over take from left and also weave through the traffic

Regards
Old 5th January 2024, 17:18   #784
BHPian

Is there a way to enter the expressway after having thatte idli from Bidadi?
Old 5th January 2024, 18:36   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwidFE View Post
Is there a way to enter the expressway after having thatte idli from Bidadi?
Yes, just go through Bidadi town via the old road and join the expressway at the end of the Bidadi bypass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is incorrect road usage. The rightmost lane (closest to the median) is not meant for continuous driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
These private car drivers appear well educated, but still prefer to break the law and inconvenience other motorist. Just because they want to arrive home safe, they are breaking the law and forcing other drivers as well to over take from left and also weave through the traffic
Regards
I think NHAI has created some ambiguity( or may be my ignorance). When the expressway opened the limits were very clear. Right most lane was indicated as the overtaking lane with the speed limit of 120 and the middle lane was the default 100kmph limit. Once they changed the limits, now across the expressway, the right most lane has road markings indicating 100, middle lane 80 and left lane 60. The overall speed signs also indicate the speed limit as 100. There is no mention of the right lane as the overtaking lane (although I know that is accepted standard by default)

So now if I drive at 100- which is the official speed limit, my understanding is that I need to be on the right most lane. I cannot technically go at 100 in the middle lane as the indicated speed is 80. If I am going in the right lane at a speed of 100, I should be under no obligation to give way to a faster vehicle behind me which will be above the permissible speed limit.

When I drove down last weekend, this ambiguity was there where I was at 100 and sometimes the cars coming at a faster speed, expected me to give way in the right lane.

So is my inference correct or if not what is the accepted approach?

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th January 2024 at 18:37.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 18:59   #786
BHPian

I am not familiar with this new highway, can someone tell me how to enter this highway coming from Hosur road to go toward Mysore.
Earlier we used NICE road and the usual Bangalore-Mysore road.

Google map still shows this as the route to be taken and the new highway is shown broken near Bangalore.

Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 19:03   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
I am not familiar with this new highway, can someone tell me how to enter this highway coming from Hosur road to go toward Mysore.
Earlier we used NICE road and the usual Bangalore-Mysore road.

Google map still shows this as the route to be taken and the new highway is shown broken near Bangalore.

Thanks
It is still the same. Take the NICE road and take the Mysore exit. The new highway begins after the NICE road when leaving Bangalore.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 19:18   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It is still the same. Take the NICE road and take the Mysore exit. The new highway begins after the NICE road when leaving Bangalore.
Is this the clover type exite near Varhasandra?
Is there a free left entry to Mysore expressway or do we have to exit NICE road and enter Mysore expressway coming from Bangalore?

Google map is not clear about this.
Thanks for the help
Old 5th January 2024, 19:27   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this the clover type exite near Varhasandra?
Is there a free left entry to Mysore expressway or do we have to exit NICE road and enter Mysore expressway coming from Bangalore?

Google map is not clear about this.
Thanks for the help
You will have to exit NICE and, get onto the Mysore road. The exit takes you to Mysore road and just before the overhead bridge. So you should not face any confusion there.

But, depending on what time of the day you are traveling, do expect to face heavy traffic at the exit. There is a eatery right on the Mysore road - Nice road exit, that most Mysore goers stop at and cause road block.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 20:39   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..do we have to exit NICE road and enter Mysore expressway coming from Bangalore?
Yes, first exit NICE road and pass through a exit toll booth and then enter the expressway coming from Bangalore City.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 11:39   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think NHAI has created some ambiguity( or may be my ignorance). When the expressway opened the limits were very clear. Right most lane was indicated as the overtaking lane with the speed limit of 120 and the middle lane was the default 100kmph limit. Once they changed the limits, now across the expressway, the right most lane has road markings indicating 100, middle lane 80 and left lane 60. The overall speed signs also indicate the speed limit as 100. There is no mention of the right lane as the overtaking lane (although I know that is accepted standard by default)

So now if I drive at 100- which is the official speed limit, my understanding is that I need to be on the right most lane. I cannot technically go at 100 in the middle lane as the indicated speed is 80. If I am going in the right lane at a speed of 100, I should be under no obligation to give way to a faster vehicle behind me which will be above the permissible speed limit.

When I drove down last weekend, this ambiguity was there where I was at 100 and sometimes the cars coming at a faster speed, expected me to give way in the right lane.

So is my inference correct or if not what is the accepted approach?
There are sign board saying the right most lane is for overtaking. Most prominent boards are on the bridges that pass over the highway. I will try to retrieve my dashcam recording.

I was mostly referring to the drivers hogging the right most lane at speed of 50 or 60 KMPH. They can as well drive on left lane at speed they believe is safe for them (50 or 60 KMPH). There should be no ambiguity about right lane.

Usually drive between 80-90 KMPH on the central lane and use the right most lane to over take and in some case I drive on right lane for extended KMs. If I am on right lane doing 100 KMPH and if there is faster approaching vehicle, then usually I move over. But there are times when I don't budge.

I am OK, if someone is driving at the speed limit (100 KMPH) on the right most lane. But speed of 50 or 60 KMPH is not acceptable.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 12:31   #792
BHPian

Fellow BHP-ians,

Am headed to Coonoor this weekend.

Given that this is a long weekend hence more traffic and the expressway is no longer a expressway with several shops operating through cut-out fences thus reducing speed; would it be prudent to take the Salem road ?

Am very inclined to take the Salem road on return since the shorter 36 pin road isn't allowed downhill, and we are forced to take the longer Gadalur road. But, now I am wondering whether I should consider this road even for the onward leg.

cheers
lazy
Old 12th January 2024, 12:44   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Fellow BHP-ians,

Given that this is a long weekend hence more traffic and the expressway is no longer a expressway with several shops operating through cut-out fences thus reducing speed; would it be prudent to take the Salem road ?

Am very inclined to take the Salem road on return since the shorter 36 pin road isn't allowed downhill, and we are forced to take the longer Gadalur road. But, now I am wondering whether I should consider this road even for the onward leg.

cheers
lazy
There would be traffic on the Hosur - Salem route as well and more on the climb from the Mettupalayam side. Better to stick to the Mysore route.

Last edited by tharian : 12th January 2024 at 12:45.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 21:34   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Fellow BHP-ians,

cheers
lazy
Traffic was fine today, i could say even on the lower side than what i expected for along weekend.

But 450 bucks for toll for 180 km stretch seems to be on higher side. Blr-kerala 650km stretch was 1000 bucks which i was feeling was higher earlier, now looking at this it feels VFM
Old 15th February 2024, 18:00   #795
BHPian

Once the Chennai- Bangalore Expressway is open, will there be a direct entry into Bangalore-Mysore Express way?

Any idea how many kms between these routes, and does it pass through any city traffic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks