Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2023, 08:23   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That was my thought too. So looks there is a section of the old Mysore road between NICE and expressway which is killing it. At Mysore again assuming bulk of the folks want to get on to ORR, there is no easy way out. I am sure a signal free exit proposal to either directions of ORR surely is bound to come up in near future at Mysore Columbia junction. At least non-city traffic will bail out.
Mysore end I think can easily be partially solved. Atleast for the traffic turning left on to ring road , it will be easy to keep a dedicated free left or even direct traffic turning left into the service roads before the end of expressway. The approach to the junction is very wide. Bangalore end, the choke is the small junction immediately after the expressway ends where a lot of vehicles coming from Bangalore side take a U Turn and a right turn and there is a lot of pedestrian movement also. If that is resolved, it should help.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 08:59   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

At the BLR end at least, they need to quickly finish that service road leading to NICE. That will really help smoother traffic flows, instead of the current mess where both expressway traffic and local traffic merge into a narrow section.

I hope NHAI will take cognizance of these points, and 'future-proof' both ends of the expressway gradually.

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th January 2023 at 09:05.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 11:35   #213
BHPian

Quote:
At Nelamangala, the problem is high traffic coming in both from Tumkur and Hassan side blocked at Nelamangala toll.

Some traffic will pile up for sure. But if it really builds -up in spite of many toll collection gates at the booth, I does the problem lie elsewhere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Its not the Toll gates alone. The exit planning are poor.

So, in my view, ideally at the end of the Expressway at the Mysore end, there should be a 3 lane exit. One towards the left side of the ring road towards the Ooty side, one straight to Mysore city and one to the right side of the ring road towards the Hunsur/ Coorg side.

And at the Bangalore end there should be one such exit towards the entrance towards the Tumkur side of the Nice road, one going straight towards Bangalore city and the third towards the entrance towards Hosur road. These have to be designed carefully so as not to cause havoc.
I think it is both toll booth related issues and unplanned exits that lead to converging traffic. Look at Attibele/Hosur toll on one side, Nelamangala toll on the other.

With toll booths, one idiot with a blacklisted fastag on a fine Sunday evening can cause enough chaos. I see people showing random ID cards and fighting with the toll booth folks about exemption. If they extend the booth driveway and provide another gate after the toll, these people can be stopped and diverted for further discussion. Now there is only one gate that stays closed and before you know, a pile-up happens. Add to it, folks behind who start cutting across to the next lane, only manage to aggravate the situation further. Sometimes for me, the pain of long toll lines where you don't even know if you're in a proper lane or behind a bunch of idiots cutting another lane, makes me avoid driving on Sundays altogether, especially post lunch. Now imagine the volume of traffic on Bangalore-Mysore road and the kind of mess the toll booths can cause.

When it comes to planning exits, I completely agree with the earlier posts here. Possibly a flyover that has multiple exits at different points, like the Hospet exit in Chitradurga or Salem/Coimbatore flyover diverting traffic to their corresponding exits, would help immensely. Completing the entire journey and getting stuck at one point is not only frustrating, it could cause cabbies and rude drivers to bully others and eventually to road rage and possibly, cars ending up with scars.
HighRevving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 15:26   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post
I
When it comes to planning exits, I completely agree with the earlier posts here. Possibly a flyover that has multiple exits at different points, like the Hospet exit in Chitradurga or Salem/Coimbatore flyover diverting traffic to their corresponding exits, would help immensely. Completing the entire journey and getting stuck at one point is not only frustrating, it could cause cabbies and rude drivers to bully others and eventually to road rage and possibly, cars ending up with scars.
Is it that we lack the expertise and planning ability and common sense? Or is it a matter of budgets and an unwillingness to spend? Or worse, is it just another instance of absolute uncaring apathy?

I wonder about this just as I despair that each time we seem to progress a step, we regress by two steps.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th January 2023 at 15:51.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 15:31   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Another pain on this road would be with people not maintaining lane discipline. Cars at different speeds sticking to their own lane irrespective of how fast the others are going.

Ideally they should tag the lanes for speeds and fine people who do not follow these.
Like keep the right most lane as mandatory > 80 kmph , middle lane for 70-80 kmph and , inner most lane for < 70 kmph
Like the Hyderabad ring road with limits of 100 RT lane, 80 middle and left lane, and cameras strategically placed to fine offenders.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 16:47   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Like the Hyderabad ring road with limits of 100 RT lane, 80 middle and left lane, and cameras strategically placed to fine offenders.
Yes, Camera monitored traffic control is what is missing in Bangalore. There are 1000s of cameras with command center, including automated speed cameras in ORR in Hyderabad.

Unless we go digital in Bangalore, police will keep fining helmetless riders and others can ride however they want.
shamanth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 17:41   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is it that we lack the expertise and planning ability and common sense? Or is it a matter of budgets and an unwillingness to spend? Or worse, is it just another instance of absolute uncaring apathy?
I think it is a matter of fragmented planning. The guy making the expressway has never met the guy who is planning the exit into NICE/Bangalore City road. The guy planning the toll booth has met neither and has been told to place a booth where one contractor's portion of road ends. One road is NHAI expressway, another is BBMP, and another, NICE. There needs to be coordination in understanding how one will work with the other and god knows who will do it.

Very similar to how it is with other works around the city as well - the guy making the sidewalk will overnight dig up the entire road when the actual road contractor is probably still going through tender process. Just look at the flyover over Koramangala 100 ft road. Look at Smart City project. It is appalling to see the lack of coordination between vendors everywhere.
HighRevving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 18:11   #218
Team-BHP Support

Where does one join the main carriageway of the expressway, if entering from Ramanagaram as in the map screenshot below?

I entered Ramanagaram from the Bangalore side (red marker), went into town, then took the green path back to rejoin the expressway service road. What I couldn't find for miles, was a join onto the main carriageway until I found an illegal break in the divider created by a roadside puncture repair guy. Plenty of crossover under/overpasses, but there didn't seem to be a break in the divider until the next town, or did I miss something?

Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-map.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th January 2023 at 18:15.
Old 18th January 2023, 19:43   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post

Have another drive next Tuesday and can update the latest status post that,
Did the BLR-MYS-Ooty drive and also returned the same day. Highlights as below,

Onward Journey - Was able to use the full expressway from Banglaore to Mysore, except perhaps 2 places, where I was redirected to the Service Road, But was able to complete the stretch from Nice Road exit to Manipal Junction in exactly 90 mnts, with cruising around 100 kmph and with couple of washroom breaks. Started from Sarjapur town at 6:40 AM and was at Swad restaurant at 9:22 AM, approx. 2.5 hours including Attibele Road, Nice road and the expressway.

Remaining Journey from Mysore to Ooty took the customary 3.5 hours with all moving traffic and 1 lunch break. Reached Ooty around 1 PM, albiet through the 36 Hair Pin road.

One good thing that govt is doing on this 36 hair pin roads is installing roll-on strctures on the entire stretch along the valley side, something similar to below,

Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-roll-barrier.jpeg

Pic Courtsey - Google Search

On The return journey, started from Ooty at 3:45 PM, filled up at the COCO Pump on the Mysore ORR and then had dinner at Swad Restaurant near Manipal Junction.

Started from Swad Restaurant at 8:40 PM, and used the Expressway all the way till Mandya where I was redirected to the Old highway. Here, thankfully, the advice from Shankar Balan came to rescue and with open eyes, was able to spot the "Cheat Road" to the expressway. Joined back expressway within 500-700 meters and thankfully was saved from the Mandya mayhem. The rest of the drive was all on the expressway until the NICE road junction, barring a small stretch near Toll on the Bangalore side. Reached home at 11:15 PM, in approx. 2.5 hours from Mysore ORR junction.

Overall from Ooty to Home, it took approx. 7.5 hours, which is fair considering the return journey is longer through Gudalur route.

The overall route is now much better than 6 months ago,

My only grouse is with the NICE road, after paying 125 as one way toll (250 for both ways), I get broken roads, partial carriageways and very slow moving traffic. In my view, they should charge half the toll until the NICE road is being revamped, but alas on my wish....

Last edited by shantanumishra : 18th January 2023 at 19:46.
shantanumishra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 09:42   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Off topic. But have to appreciate your stamina that you went to Ooty and came back on the same day. I was dead tired on my journey to Ooty last year. I cannot imagine doing back Ooty Bangalore with just a few hours of break!
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 10:05   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Off topic. But have to appreciate your stamina that you went to Ooty and came back on the same day. I was dead tired on my journey to Ooty last year. I cannot imagine doing back Ooty Bangalore with just a few hours of break!
Thanks, Necessity is the mother of all inventions and such scenarios, My kids are in a boarding in Ooty and hence, I need to do this trip almost every 45 days, since majority of these fall on a working day, cant take much leaves. Hence, I had to be innovative and find this option, anyways, we dont sleep better in hotel rooms and even if we reach home by 12 midnight, its easier for us.
Old 19th January 2023, 10:35   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Where does one join the main carriageway of the expressway, if entering from Ramanagaram as in the map screenshot below?
Basic question but a good question! People naturally would assume there is an entry/exit. I hope they are marked well! (More importantly hope they are available!)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 10:44   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Towards Bangalore:
Take left here-
https://goo.gl/maps/6iX3b27KZn146SmP9

Both are unofficial access roads. So it may or may not be open.
Quote:
. Here, thankfully, the advice from Shankar Balan came to rescue and with open eyes, was able to spot the "Cheat Road" to the expressway. Joined back expressway within 500-700 meters and thankfully was saved from the Mandya mayhem. ..
Shantanu, on your return, was this the place where you turned left to get onto the, not yet ready, Mandya bypass?
Old 19th January 2023, 11:10   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Shantanu, on your return, was this the place where you turned left to get onto the, not yet ready, Mandya bypass?
You would be automatically diverted to Service road as you approach Mandya and would cross the new Bridge underneath to meet the old BLR-MYS highway, within next 1/2 KM, you would see a Blue board (for some college) and a left turn next to it, take that left and you would see a railway gate, cross it, drive another 500-700 Meters, turn right on the service road after going underneath the expressway (newly laid) which is the ramp up to the new expressway.

The bypass is actually completely built and usable. The only item pending is the ramp to climb it, if coming from Mysore side, hence, you need to take this "Cheat Road"

Hope this helps

Last edited by shantanumishra : 19th January 2023 at 11:11.
shantanumishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 12:15   #225

Quote:
Basic question but a good question! People naturally would assume there is an entry/exit. I hope they are marked well! (More importantly hope they are available!)
As far as I know there is no exit/entry planned between the start and end of the expressway as of now so it seems you can not exit or entry from the towns/cities between Bangalore and Mysore officially. But all these might change in future if NHAI decides to create these entry/exit points.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks