Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2023, 14:46   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Have the toll gates started operating? It was nice to get an expressway run for free
No. Toll gated aren’t yet in operation as of yesterday afternoon.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 18:09   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The challenge I see is at both ends, especially during the crowded times. Already there are reports of the exit at Bangalore being congested causing a backup on to the expressway. Same at the Mysore end also where you suddenly hit the ORR Jn which is a major intersection. Maybe the plan should have comprehended the exit better (especially on the Mysore side), on the Bangalore side, with the Metro and NICE Road etc, don't think anything much could have been done.
The next project then would be a fly over at Mysore ORR junction by MUDA!
I also hope the Expressway to/from NICE is also worked out.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 10:20   #198
Senior - BHPian

Just landed in Mysore. Took 3 hours of very leisurely driving with a couple of stops. Left CV Raman Nagar at 0640. Expressway is about 80% complete. Bangalore to Mandya superb quality of construction, had to go thru the dreadful Mandya traffic (no diversion available). After Mandya there are a few diversions remaining but not troublesome.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 10:28   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Just landed in Mysore. Took 3 hours of very leisurely driving with a couple of stops. Left CV Raman Nagar at 0640. Expressway is about 80% complete. Bangalore to Mandya superb quality of construction, had to go thru the dreadful Mandya traffic (no diversion available). After Mandya there are a few diversions remaining but not troublesome.
Refer posts 155 & 167 for the diversion to approach Mandya bypass.
Old 17th January 2023, 12:53   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Refer posts 155 & 167 for the diversion to approach Mandya bypass.
I really looked for it as I had marked it in the Gmaps link sent in above post, the diversion was to come up at 102 km from my home, but at 98/99 km the main carriageway was blocked and traffic diverted to the old BM road and the subsequent fun in Mandya.
Incidentally, there was a HP pump at 100 km marker.
Old 17th January 2023, 13:02   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the expressway should have had 3 exits on the Mysore Columbia Asia signal -> Straight, Left and Right, each of them going over the signal and landing after it. Maybe entry from Mysore onto the expressway could be only one. This is similar to how the ECity expressway is -> Three exits and two entries. This way, the bottleneck at Mysore entry would have been completely avoided with no need to wait long Columbia Asia signal.
sagarpadaki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 14:04   #202
BHPian

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le66357128.ece

A friend sent this on a WhatsApp group after which many others agreed that during the weekends and especially evenings, the traffic does pile up at places. What's worse is the cops think this will get worse once the entire stretch is opened up.

But this is true even for the Nelamangala road once you try to turn towards Bangalore. I have experienced one Sunday evening experience between the junction and the Nelamangala toll exit and it was horrible to say the least.

Once the entire Bangalore-Mysore expressway is fully open, we will really know how much traffic actually goes which way and understand what route to take on a Sunday evening, though this road is best avoided Sunday post lunch any route we take at the moment.
HighRevving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 19:18   #203
BHPian

A recent video of the Srirangapatna Mysore stretch of the new Bangalore - Mysore Expressway.
ajishanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 21:28   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Two wheelers will be allowed till the service roads become fully functional, the MP was referring to the completion of a bridge across the river before restricting two wheelers on the expressway.
What is the route for two wheelers to Mysore will be then? Service roads throughout?
Old 18th January 2023, 06:02   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post
But this is true even for the Nelamangala road once you try to turn towards Bangalore. I have experienced one Sunday evening experience between the junction and the Nelamangala toll exit and it was horrible to say the least.

Once the entire Bangalore-Mysore expressway is fully open, we will really know how much traffic actually goes which way and understand what route to take on a Sunday evening, though this road is best avoided Sunday post lunch any route we take at the moment.
At Nelamangala, the problem is high traffic coming in both from Tumkur and Hassan side blocked at Nelamangala toll.

Similarly is the toll booth at exit the problem on the expressway? I guess theoretically if there was no toll booth, the NICE exit should see some rushes (Assuming a fraction of traffic does not enter NICE and goes into the city)

Some traffic will pile up for sure. But if it really builds -up in spite of many toll collection gates at the booth, I does the problem lie elsewhere?

Last edited by ampere : 18th January 2023 at 06:03.
Old 18th January 2023, 06:58   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
restricting two wheelers on the expressway.
Given the experience with Electronic City and Neelamangala flyovers and even the NICE road I will believe it when I see it..
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 07:16   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Atny toll collection gates at the booth, I does the problem lie elsewhere?
Its not the Toll gates alone. The exit planning are poor.

Unless, as someone earlier posted, there is a planned series of exits at either end, there will be a big bottleneck at the Columbia Asia Traffic Signal at the Mysore end and at this Bangalore end, the same will happen at the point of the 4 Headed Ganesha idol and these will cause a nice and lovely long tail-back once the road is fully operational.

Multiple cars and other vehicles will come flying and/or hurtling along at a 100kmph in both directions, congratulating themselves all the way, at having completed the Expressway journey in 90 minutes, only to have all their hopes crash, burn and die, when faced with the above-mentioned tail-backs at with ends.

So, in my view, ideally at the end of the Expressway at the Mysore end, there should be a 3 lane exit. One towards the left side of the ring road towards the Ooty side, one straight to Mysore city and one to the right side of the ring road towards the Hunsur/ Coorg side.

And at the Bangalore end there should be one such exit towards the entrance towards the Tumkur side of the Nice road, one going straight towards Bangalore city and the third towards the entrance towards Hosur road. These have to be designed carefully so as not to cause havoc.

But then, as with everything in India, from the point of experience of a common tax paying citizen, all these will very likely remain pipe dreams only.

Notwithstanding all the fanfare created by the Ministers in charge.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th January 2023 at 07:23.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 07:28   #208
BHPian

Another pain on this road would be with people not maintaining lane discipline. Cars at different speeds sticking to their own lane irrespective of how fast the others are going.

Ideally they should tag the lanes for speeds and fine people who do not follow these.
Like keep the right most lane as mandatory > 80 kmph , middle lane for 70-80 kmph and , inner most lane for < 70 kmph
Old 18th January 2023, 07:55   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Similarly is the toll booth at exit the problem on the expressway? I guess theoretically if there was no toll booth, the NICE exit should see some rushes (Assuming a fraction of traffic does not enter NICE and goes into the city)

Some traffic will pile up for sure. But if it really builds -up in spite of many toll collection gates at the booth, I does the problem lie elsewhere?
The toll booths are atleast 5-6 km from the end of the expressway on both sides. So I don't expect toll booths to become a bottle neck. It is just the natural choke of exiting from a high speed /free flowing corridor into the start of Bangalore City Limits, like we have everywhere else. Airport Road--Hebbal, BETL-- Silkboard, Tumkur Road-Goraguntepalya etc... Not sure of feasibility issues, but ideally they should have landed the final stretch integrating with NICE entry and on Mysore side , end it after the Columbia Asia Flyover. This would have naturally dissipated traffic.

Of course, just armchair analysis . Have to wait and see if these become as big issues as mentioned. Maybe some simple interventions will be enough.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 08:01   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not sure of feasibility issues, but ideally they should have landed the final stretch integrating with NICE entry and on Mysore side , end it after the Columbia Asia Flyover. This would have naturally dissipated traffic.
That was my thought too. So looks there is a section of the old Mysore road between NICE and expressway which is killing it. At Mysore again assuming bulk of the folks want to get on to ORR, there is no easy way out. I am sure a signal free exit proposal to either directions of ORR surely is bound to come up in near future at Mysore Columbia junction. At least non-city traffic will bail out.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks