Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 11:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Your wishlist for an India-specific road trip planning app

I end up doing something like this on google's mymaps feature. I curate the places I am visiting and put them on the map. The starred places are the airbnbs that I have booked. I add any details of the places like ticket costs or hiking routes etc in the text box for each place.

I realise all this is just static info captured at one place but when it comes to dynamic decisions, the subjectivity of individual choices will make it very hard for any app with limited data to be able to predict and suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Your wishlist for an India-specific road trip planning app-ef2552cba41d401f8577c81e99d61eb4.jpeg  

Old 27th October 2021, 13:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very relatable need, as I spend considerable time checking out Google Maps reviews on the condition of rest rooms of enroute restaurants. If travelling with parents this needs to be factored. While Google Maps gives many options (sometimes too many), the dilemma is which one do I select to add to my destination

I had availed of HVK service years back during my first multi state drive and I still find that (excel sheet) relevant as it is customised for your particular drive and schedule. I wouldn't mind paying for a service which give information which I want customised for my need (akin to getting tips from a known person who had taken that very trip). So far only Team BHP has come close to meeting my need

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2021 at 17:30. Reason: As requested
Old 27th October 2021, 18:14   #18

Dont know if I understand your requirement correctly, but google maps already has a feature called search along the route. You can search for petrol bunks, stay, restaurants etc. Its available on android auto also. Where it will suggest different say petrol bunks, give you deroute information in time and distance. Once u select one of the options it will add it as a stop.
roketracoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 18:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
There is a useful YouTube video that explains how to use Google MyMaps. Hope this is useful. It is fairly detailed.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=DKv0kaxY2JE
Hi,

I just went through this video and have managed to make a map of my own trip to Udaipur.

The prime issues faced were the absence of being able to add the rest stops, gas stations, restaurants, etc on the route. Had that option been there, this tool would have been simply the best for a route planning.

This seems better suited for a post-trip description post on a blog to detail where we went, what we saw, etc and keeping it interactive. Might add this on my blog later though

Our Rajasthan Trip.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by roketracoon View Post
Dont know if I understand your requirement correctly, but google maps already has a feature called search along the route. You can search for petrol bunks, stay, restaurants etc. Its available on android auto also. Where it will suggest different say petrol bunks, give you deroute information in time and distance. Once u select one of the options it will add it as a stop.
Agreed, Google Maps does meet most of the requirements of the original post, except for the toilets bit, but then, restaurants which are highly rated, generally do have clean restrooms.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st January 2024 at 10:10. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:08   #20
BHPian

I have had this idea of a Travel/Road Map App (started with Roads but I then thought about other modes too for families) but never worked on it. It is like one of those procrastinations that we usually do once every month

I wish to come across someone with same line of thought and a bit of spare time to work on this together.

But one reason I never started working on it is that I always find some product/site in the market that does 50% of the job that I have in mind flawlessly. So they already have a lead in terms of time, features and users. And today, most of what you are asking for is available across apps/sites. Only thing that is missing is a singe point/aggregator sort of app. Not to mention the opportunity cost that I may loose while working on it but that is obviously something unique to each individual.
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

I use Google Maps at present and really appreciate it.

My wish list is very basic:
1. Should not suggest to drive on the wrong direction of one-way roads (no entry roads)
2. When navigating for a four-wheeler, should not suggest roads that are single-lane, or through local markets
Old 6th November 2021, 23:50   #22

I have been following this thread closely, there are some great points made on the need for road trip halt recommendations and planning help. I do not intent to make this sound like a promotion but as I read about trip sharing, felt it might be relevant to introduce a travel app we have built in India primarily aimed at indian travelers for trip organization, media organization and trip sharing. The name of the app is 'Triparambh' and it can be checked out at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...triparambh.app.

What triparambh does is that it automatically captures your activities in a trip, so you halted at a gas station enroute, took a picture - that is assembled into an activity inside a dedicated trip, and along the route any stops you make and pictures you take are all catalogued sequentially one after another so you can always look back at the end of the day and trace your activities. Additionally, that entire trip can be shared with another traveler. So if one of the seasoned travelers here makes a roadtrip - stopping at the best places possible for food, sightseeing, gas halt, toilets etc. along the way (based on their own painstaking research and borrowing wisdom from other travelers), they can share that trip with the rest of the community and others can easily follow in their footsteps.

In terms of recommendations, we are working on integrating with google maps to be able to show whats available around a particular point and a trip calculator that can keep track of distance traveled and remaining and help recommend hotels for night halts etc. We will keep posted. Again, do not take this as an advertisement, the discussion and what we are working on seemed relevant, hence sharing.
motorheadsam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 09:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadsam View Post
I have been following this thread closely, there are some great points made on the need for road trip halt recommendations and planning help. I do not intent to make this sound like a promotion but as I read about trip sharing, felt it might be relevant to introduce a travel app we have built in India primarily aimed at indian travelers for trip organization, media organization and trip sharing. The name of the app is 'Triparambh' and it can be checked out at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...triparambh.app.

What triparambh does is that it automatically captures your activities in a trip, so you halted at a gas station enroute, took a picture - that is assembled into an activity inside a dedicated trip, and along the route any stops you make and pictures you take are all catalogued sequentially one after another so you can always look back at the end of the day and trace your activities. Additionally, that entire trip can be shared with another traveler. So if one of the seasoned travelers here makes a roadtrip - stopping at the best places possible for food, sightseeing, gas halt, toilets etc. along the way (based on their own painstaking research and borrowing wisdom from other travelers), they can share that trip with the rest of the community and others can easily follow in their footsteps.

In terms of recommendations, we are working on integrating with google maps to be able to show whats available around a particular point and a trip calculator that can keep track of distance traveled and remaining and help recommend hotels for night halts etc. We will keep posted. Again, do not take this as an advertisement, the discussion and what we are working on seemed relevant, hence sharing.
Thank you for this.

As I mentioned in my initial post when I started this thread, are there any plans to get this to iOS or are you limiting this to Android? That was my first pain-point.

The other pain-points I have are mentioned in points 1,2, and 3 of that same post. Would your app, at least at some point in the future, address these?

Thanks again and good luck with your app.

Cheers
Old 7th November 2021, 12:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Thank you for this.

As I mentioned in my initial post when I started this thread, are there any plans to get this to iOS or are you limiting this to Android? That was my first pain-point.

The other pain-points I have are mentioned in points 1,2, and 3 of that same post. Would your app, at least at some point in the future, address these?

Thanks again and good luck with your app.

Cheers
Thank you!

At the moment its only on android as its a fledgling startup and we only have about 250-300 users, so with funds and better user numbers there is definitely a plan to do iOS

From your original post points (1) and (3) are being worked at i.e. (1) Recommendations of places to halt enroute given a origin, destination pair and the calculated route between them. Here we are doing places of interest to visit along the route as well. (3) Plan ahead given preferred departure time and number of hours one wants to drive - suggest halts. These are things we are working on along with total toll and fuel costs estimation enroute.

For other dynamic recommendations based on the distance covered and remaining enroute, the app will need continuous access to gps location, and based on our initial research unless we were showing turn-by-turn directions, users were skeptical granting permission to the app to "access location always" in the background. So we picked static planning tasks like (1) and (3) first, and then win-over their trust to grant us "always location access" permission to do more dynamic recommendations.

Hope this is helpful, Regards.
motorheadsam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 16:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadsam View Post
Thank you!

At the moment its only on android as its a fledgling startup and we only have about 250-300 users, so with funds and better user numbers there is definitely a plan to do iOS

From your original post points (1) and (3) are being worked at i.e. (1) Recommendations of places to halt enroute given a origin, destination pair and the calculated route between them. Here we are doing places of interest to visit along the route as well. (3) Plan ahead given preferred departure time and number of hours one wants to drive - suggest halts. These are things we are working on along with total toll and fuel costs estimation enroute.

For other dynamic recommendations based on the distance covered and remaining enroute, the app will need continuous access to gps location, and based on our initial research unless we were showing turn-by-turn directions, users were skeptical granting permission to the app to "access location always" in the background. So we picked static planning tasks like (1) and (3) first, and then win-over their trust to grant us "always location access" permission to do more dynamic recommendations.

Hope this is helpful, Regards.
Have you made any progress on these?

Cheers
Old 18th September 2023, 19:55   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Places for Veg food !

Had been to Deogarh, JH earlier this year. Cab from Ranchi - and had a tough time finding a decent Veg place.

Cab drivers are helpful to know about such places, but if one is self-driving, then it becomes tough to find suitable places.
Old 23rd January 2024, 13:33   #27

Any progress on this? Has anyone else come across an ideal/better app that serves most of the requirements?

I am personally still using Google Maps and looking at TeamBHP reviews on route suggestions and experiences.

I am currently planning on a south india temple tour for my parents by road, so any recommendations would be welcome

P.S: Places planned to visit on the temple tour are as follows:

Chennai - Kanchipuram - Chidambaram - Thirukadaiyur (Markandeya Temple) - Kumbakonam - Thiruvaiyaru - Thanjavur - Srirangam - Madurai - Kottayam (Home Base)

Pls feel free to provide your suggestions
Old 24th January 2024, 12:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrishdrives View Post
Any progress on this? Has anyone else come across an ideal/better app that serves most of the requirements?
I am the thread-starter. I have discovered a work-around that almost serves my purpose: I use ChatGPT and give it all my restrictions and ask it to make a daily itinerary for me. I refine the suggestions by providing more info in the "conversation".

So far it seems to work pretty satisfactorily. YMMV of course.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 01:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I have tried using this once, paid 250 bucks for a map from Thrissur to Mysore via Dhimbam. The app is (was) crude, has a very tacky interface and kept crashing. I think the USP is that it (might) works offline even when there's no connectivity.
Yes this the app by (in)famous HVK which many used in the past. There are dedicated threads I believe on people using this paid service and pros & cons of the same.

https://hivayking.in/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ut&hl=en&gl=US

Last edited by Samfromindia : 31st January 2024 at 01:35.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks