Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2016, 20:53   #511
BHPian

Is there an entry tax for vehicles coming to Goa ? Sounded really absurd but wanted to authenticate its existence
Old 8th October 2016, 20:55   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Planning for Goa, where to stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Is there an entry tax for vehicles coming to Goa ? Sounded really absurd but wanted to authenticate its existence
250 rupees valid for a week. This was imposed after mining was banned in the state. Ridiculous I know.
Old 8th October 2016, 22:32   #513
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't entry tax/toll to Goa added after reduction of VAT for petrol by Manohar Parrikar when he was Goa CM?

Couple of old news related to this.

VAT reduction

Petrol hike & entry tax
Old 9th October 2016, 16:27   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
There is an entry tax of Rs.250/- for cars/ jeeps entering Goa and it is valid for 4 hours only. For a bus it is Rs. 1,000/-.

The tax was imposed when mining was banned in Goa around 2013 to generate some revenue.

Petro/ Diesel rates were reduced as a part of fulfilling the election manifesto by BJP (Manohar Parriker) in 2012 assembly election. That has nothing to do with the road entry tax which was imposed an year later.

But the govt has steadily increased the VAT (/which was earlier scrapped to reduce the fuel rates) and now the fuel rates in Goa are quite at par with other states, albeit slightly less ( but nothing extraordinary).

If one is coming from Mumbai side and entering Goa from Sawantwadi side on coastal highway ( or Amboli ghat from Kolhapur side), there is still a loop hole that can be used avoid the road tax at Dhargal.( toll booth while entering at North Goa). One can simply enter Goa through Pernem village and use the coastal road (Arambol - Mandrem- Siolim - Mapusa road). But that requires you to have a slight knowledge of Goan interior roads.
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 20:46   #515
BHPian

Car rentals in South Goa?

Guys,

Travelling to Goa next week and staying at Benaulim (Taj Exotica).

Do you know of any car rental (car with driver) that I can hire for site seeing.

I inquired on many sites, but they (the providers) are based in North Goa and dont come to benaulim.

One guy even mentioned that due to the Taxi Mafia, they dont come, any idea if this is correct?

Hiring a car from the hotel is an option, but would be way pretty expensive as they would charge a big overhead.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 18th October 2016, 21:11   #516
BHPian

Re: Car rentals in South Goa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Guys,

One guy even mentioned that due to the Taxi Mafia, they dont come, any idea if this is correct?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
This part is totally true. The Taxi-wallahs are pretty rowdy once they spot a car not from their circle.

Safe bet would be take your own car or take slef-drive.
Old 20th October 2016, 01:22   #517
BHPian

Re: Car rentals in South Goa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Guys,

Travelling to Goa next week and staying at Benaulim (Taj Exotica).

Hiring a car from the hotel is an option, but would be way pretty expensive as they would charge a big overhead.
!
You will find a score of taxis waiting outside each of these resorts. You cannot take any taxi other than these lot waiting at the gate. It is a big mafia. They even have a printed rate sheet like hotel menu card which is obviously very expensive.

Unfortunately u can't beat the system. One way is to get pally with the most malleable taxi driver in the group and bargain heavily.

These taxi guys are coming down heavily on self drive rental cars ( which most are private cars black n white board types that are rented out to tourists by private people to make some extra money ) check the below link that appeared here yesterday. Private cars running as self drive cars are being cracked down by Goa police and then it gets ugly with argument n police station visits n stuff as the car gets seized. So if u rent a self drive car, make sure it is not a private regd one. Though the owner will reassure you that there is nothing to worry, the recent trend is that private regd self drive cars are being marked by cops as tourists are easy prey compared to locals.

https://www.goaprism.com/goa-taxi-ow...-meet-demands/

If you have any friend, ask him to pick you up and show around with a driver. Else rent from among the hooligans at the gate or ask Taj to arrange one for you. No external rental car guy would venture near such big resorts. Unfortunate, but that's how things are going on here. For similar monopolistic mafiaraj reason Uber & Ola have been successfully blocked from operating in Goa.
Old 5th December 2016, 09:12   #518
BHPian

Hello Guys
I'm planning a Goa trip in the second week of January. Looking for a decent 4 star resort, preferably in South Goa. Came across 'Karma Royal Haathi'. Can anyone give me an idea as to its reviews?
Thanks.
Old 15th December 2016, 14:18   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Hello Guys
I'm planning a Goa trip in the second week of January. Looking for a decent 4 star resort, preferably in South Goa. Came across 'Karma Royal Haathi'. Can anyone give me an idea as to its reviews?
Thanks.
You can also check O Hotel (Candolim), it has a good setup and faces beach. You can walk from your room to the beach (about 60 seconds). The staff is good but phone network is poor; Airtel would not work at all, you will only get missed call alerts.

The property is next to Vijay Mallaya's holiday home in Goa. The beach is less crowded and there are good eating options adjacent to the hotel. The hotel provides internet facility on chargeable basis.

Avoid Karma - One of my known connects has gone their and checked out after first night. If you want, I can ask him for the reasons.

Last edited by i74js : 15th December 2016 at 14:21.
Old 16th December 2016, 13:17   #520
BHPian

Hello People,

I am travelling to Goa from 18th Feb 2017 to 22nd Feb 2017. Since this is the first time I am travelling to Goa, I would need your advice. Here is the tentative itinerary:

1) Day 1, 18th Feb 2017 - Pune to Goa
2) Day 2, 19th Feb 2017 - Attend wedding in Goa. Place TBD.
3) Day 3, 20th Feb 2017 - Roam around in Goa
4) Day 4, 21st Feb 2017 - Roam around in Goa
5) Day 5, 22nd Feb 2017 - Goa to Pune

I would need you suggestions on

1) Route to take from Pune.
2) Where to stay in Goa? Budget max. 5K per night
3) Which places to see? I want to see, Chapora fort, Spice Plantation and other than these two I have no clue what else is there to see.
4) Any specific precautions to take? Onward journey we will be three, me, my wife and MIL. MIL would return on 19th Feb.
5) We will be travelling by our car and we plan to take two wheeler on rent once in Goa. Please suggest good rental agencies.
Old 29th June 2017, 20:20   #521
Senior - BHPian

Goa TBHPians/Regulars to Goa andall travel experts.

A query from my side. Planning to visit Goa in the last week of September. Zeroed in South Goa only specifically areas around Benaulim, Palolem, Utorda, Majorda etc. Since I am on a budget mode, have been looking at airbnb for 1 BHP apts. How good are these apts as seen on the airbnb? Should I still look out for a resort/hotel with package options? If I have to book in one of the air bnb apts, then food would be a major criteria for the location. Driving down from Thane, so relaxed vacay is also a top priority. Dont want to end up searching for food options. No plan to visit any markets, temples etc.

So confused, need advise. Have been searching websites left and right and getting even more confused.
Old 30th June 2017, 11:28   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Goa TBHPians/Regulars to Goa andall travel experts.

A query from my side. Planning to visit Goa in the last week of September. Zeroed in South Goa only specifically areas around Benaulim, Palolem, Utorda, Majorda etc.
So confused, need advise. Have been searching websites left and right and getting even more confused.
Airbnb is always a mixed bag experience. Sometime your expectations are exceeded and sometimes you have a not so good taste in your mouth.

Palolem is very deep in South while Benaulim, Majorda are actually central Goa. September is the best month to visit Goa as the monsoon would have receded, with only sporadic rains once in a while. that gives you ample clear sky times to go around, explore and have fun.

There are ample resorts in the areas that you mentioned above. If budget is not a problem, I suggest you look at a good 4-5 star resort in those regions.
Food can be a major problem with airbnb houses and going around searching for it could dampen your mood.

Generally Airbnb is for budget conscious people or who have some constraints such as no of people in the group are more or have some specific needs regarding privacy or just to experience the local Goan life . Budget is no constraint to you. so you can go all the way and chill out without much going on in the back of your mind.

try a good 4-5 star resort and that should work out great for you.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 15:03   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A query from my side. Planning to visit Goa in the last week of September. Zeroed in South Goa only specifically areas around Benaulim, Palolem, Utorda, Majorda etc. Since I am on a budget mode, have been looking at airbnb for 1 BHP apts.
While the suggestion from ashkamath is certainly the recommended one, I do understand that the feeling is to extend the goacation by a couple of days by reducing costs on accomodation. At least thats the way I am thinking.

While September would be challenging to find shacks with food, some of the bnb options would have a kitchenette too. That should take care of basic breakfast at least. None of us would want to cook and clean during vacations anyway. Perhaps you could stay for a few days in a bnb. If that works well, continue there for the entire duration. If it doesnt, try for a last minute option in a resort for the last couple of days to recover. You may get better deals; normally Goa isnt that crowded in September.
Old 30th June 2017, 16:17   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Goa Zeroed in South Goa only specifically areas around Benaulim, Palolem, Utorda, Majorda etc. Since I am on a budget mode, have been looking at airbnb for 1 BHP apts.
Coconut Creek, Bogmalo, Bogmalo Beach Resort (usually have monsoon deals), Martins Comfort, Betalbatim, John's Highland Comfort (Guest House), Majorda, are some good properties.
Old 30th June 2017, 16:23   #525
BHPian

I am traveling to Goa from 14 - 17 Jul. Booked myself in Riva Beach resort using goibibo app. Got good discount as well.

Have heard that this beach is in North Goa and it is very calm and peaceful as it is free of the crowd.

Hope to have a relaxing time.

Am taking flight from Bangalore and reaching on 14 evening. Any pointers on option to reach the resort which is a good 55 KM away?

Does Goa Airport has prepaid taxi or have to haggle with the taxi guys at the arrival gate?

Last edited by ant_vas : 30th June 2017 at 16:28. Reason: added a question on taxi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks