Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2020, 21:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Day trips for foodies from Delhi-NCR?

If food is what you think about all day, here is a day trip within Delhi which will tickle your taste buds:

Start your day in Lajpat Nagar having Nagpal's chole bhature. Don't have more than a plate even if you can't resist and keep some space in your stomach as it is going to be day dedicated to food.

For lunch, drive to Kamala Nagar. At Gullu's meat wala, get a meat keema and rice combo after you have enjoyed their juicy mutton barra.

Get yourself moving and reach Greenpark by the evening. Munch on the tangri fry at Rajender da dhaba and follow it with chicken dhania adrakhi and naan.

I know, getting yourself up to go home after such feast will be a task in itself.
TheVegabond is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 21:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Old Rao Dhaba near Hero plant in Dharuhera. Recommended for vegetarians. Haven't been there in long time but food quality was good when I last visited.
There are a lot of copycat Rao dhabas and most of them horrible, as I found out.

If you have the location of the original, please post.
Old 9th December 2020, 21:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...dhunt-nh1.html (Karnal Desires! The Foodhunt on NH1)

That thread has been around for 9 years! Many of the places mentioned have gone upmarket since then, and prices have gone north even before the lockdown, but the charm as well as the quality of food seem to have declined. Somehow, that attraction for visiting the Ambala highway just to indulge one's taste buds, has reduced sharply.

Edit:Just remembered a nice joint for foodies - Pizza Bay at Karma Lakelands, on NH48, just after the Kherki Daula toll. Genuinely good food, though a tad expensive, but they seem to have a 25% discount offer going now. Enjoy the peace and quiet of the place, with an attached golf course for those who are so inclined. https://www.eazydiner.com/delhi-ncr/...manesar-670595.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 9th December 2020 at 22:16.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
There are a lot of copycat Rao dhabas and most of them horrible, as I found out.

If you have the location of the original, please post.
Ok, I just looked up and I am confused myself as I can see lot of photographs on google for Old Rao. It was a small dhaba in those days, with a red colour signboard. Now every dhaba has a red signboard it seems.

For the original - if you are travelling from Delhi to Jaipur, it will be on your right side, right after Brijmohan Munjal University. As soon as you cross the dhaba on your right, there is a major road built for travel towards Bhiwadi/ Alwar, on your left. This should be the one, if I got it correct:

Day trips for foodies from Delhi-NCR?-20201209_223509.jpg
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:35   #20
GRV
BHPian

Yes, This is correct address of original Rao dhaba. Food is fantastic and very reasonably priced. Must try on Delhi / Jaipur trip.
Old 11th December 2020, 09:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
If food is what you think about all day, here is a day trip within Delhi which will tickle your taste buds:
Can you narrate one for vegetarians like me pls ?
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 13:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Can you narrate one for vegetarians like me pls ?
A little tough, but here it goes:

Start the same way with Nagpal's chole bhature.

For lunch, go to Kwality dhaba in West Delhi near Subhash Nagar. I liked their Kadhai Paneer and Tawa Chap with rumali roti.

The dinner calls for some luxury. So, head to ITC Maurya on Sardar Patel Road and enjoy Daal Bukhara with naan.
TheVegabond is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 14:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Ok, I just looked up and I am confused myself as I can see lot of photographs on google for Old Rao. It was a small dhaba in those days, with a red colour signboard. Now every dhaba has a red signboard it seems.

For the original - if you are travelling from Delhi to Jaipur, it will be on your right side, right after Brijmohan Munjal University. As soon as you cross the dhaba on your right, there is a major road built for travel towards Bhiwadi/ Alwar, on your left. This should be the one, if I got it correct:

Attachment 2090999
Yes, this is the correct one, the confusion is actually that Rao is a surname used in the area locally for my community and that is why they name it like that more than to copy

I go there regularly as I have my in-laws nearby quite often but prefer eating at rajwara nearby on the left side while going to Jaipur. This place though is very popular for sure and huge queues are witnessed even during COVID
Old 12th December 2020, 12:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Start your day in Lajpat Nagar having Nagpal's chole bhature. Don't have more than a plate even if you can't resist and keep some space in your stomach as it is going to be day dedicated to food.

For lunch, drive to Kamala Nagar. At Gullu's meat wala, get a meat keema and rice combo after you have enjoyed their juicy mutton barra.

Get yourself moving and reach Greenpark by the evening. Munch on the tangri fry at Rajender da dhaba and follow it with chicken dhania adrakhi and naan.

I know, getting yourself up to go home after such feast will be a task in itself.
Quote:
A little tough, but here it goes:

Start the same way with Nagpal's chole bhature.

For lunch, go to Kwality dhaba in West Delhi near Subhash Nagar. I liked their Kadhai Paneer and Tawa Chap with rumali roti.

The dinner calls for some luxury. So, head to ITC Maurya on Sardar Patel Road and enjoy Daal Bukhara with naan.
Been in Delhi since 2001 and have loved these places. Went to Hansraj so Gullu (along with Chache & Bille di Hatti) still holds a special place in my heart & stomach! Have been on a Chhole Bhature streak for the past couple of weeks (blame the dip in temperature) and also tried Gopal ji (near Rohini), Darshan's (Subhash Nagar), Radhey Shyam Subhash Kumar (Paharganj) and Sharma ji (Lajpat Nagar). All are A-grade!

Next will try Bhushan's (Karol Bagh) and Sharma ji (Afeem-wale, Shahdara)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...dhunt-nh1.html (Karnal Desires! The Foodhunt on NH1)

That thread has been around for 9 years! Many of the places mentioned have gone upmarket since then, and prices have gone north even before the lockdown, but the charm as well as the quality of food seem to have declined. Somehow, that attraction for visiting the Ambala highway just to indulge one's taste buds, has reduced sharply.

Edit:Just remembered a nice joint for foodies - Pizza Bay at Karma Lakelands, on NH48, just after the Kherki Daula toll. Genuinely good food, though a tad expensive, but they seem to have a 25% discount offer going now. Enjoy the peace and quiet of the place, with an attached golf course for those who are so inclined. https://www.eazydiner.com/delhi-ncr/...manesar-670595.
Pizza Bay must be somewhere near Under the Neem at Karma Chalet. Will check it out too.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:22   #25
PKG

Folks who would like Chole Bature, pls don't miss Sitaram Diwan chand in Pahargunj.
https://www.sitaramdiwanchand.co.in/index.php
Being from Bangalore and a south Indian, did a lot of research 4 years back when I had a days stay planned in Delhi before proceeding to Jim Corbett. That day started with arrival in Delhi early around 8:30 AM, checked in at a hotel in Connought place. Straight took a rick to this place. it was Lip smacking. From outside and the area, my Wife was reluctant to even eat anything. once inside and the aroma of the chole.. she had 2 plates herself. 3 of us had 6 plates of chole bature and 3 Lassi. This is a must have.
Evening we went to Kareems, then Parate wali Galli.. try https://goo.gl/maps/7bqZ6ZT5DMuHx6Un6.. ghee fried Parathas.. then Gajar ka Halva
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKG View Post
Folks who would like Chole Bature, pls don't miss Sitaram Diwan chand in Pahargunj.
https://www.sitaramdiwanchand.co.in/index.php
Being from Bangalore and a south Indian, did a lot of research 4 years back when I had a days stay planned in Delhi before proceeding to Jim Corbett. That day started with arrival in Delhi early around 8:30 AM, checked in at a hotel in Connought place. Straight took a rick to this place. it was Lip smacking. From outside and the area, my Wife was reluctant to even eat anything. once inside and the aroma of the chole.. she had 2 plates herself. 3 of us had 6 plates of chole bature and 3 Lassi. This is a must have.
Evening we went to Kareems, then Parate wali Galli.. try https://goo.gl/maps/7bqZ6ZT5DMuHx6Un6.. ghee fried Parathas.. then Gajar ka Halva
Next time you're in Delhi, do try Radhe Shyam Subhash Kumar also in Paharganj. Sitaram is more popular due to publicity but the locals & I swear by Radhey Shyam in this area. Other Chhole Bhature recommendations after sampling almost a dozen top rated ones are:

Chache de Hatti, Kamla Nagar
Anand ji, Lajpat Nagar
Odeon sweets, Gole Market
Gopal ji, Rohini
Darshan, Subhash Nagar
Kaka ji, Lajpat Nagar
Bhogal, Connaught Place
Old 24th December 2020, 16:05   #27
BHPian

I recently visited Hill Fort Kesroli as an overnight trip. The food itself was average but it is a very intriguing place to stay and experience.
The room we stayed in was pretty big. Nearly a 1 bhk and this was the middle category room. Even though it is a small fort, one can spend hours just exploring the fort, the multiple terraces and view points it has. It is surrounded by greenery on side with a view of the Aravali and you can constantly hear the sounds of birds chirping. I am not a bird-watcher but I did spot a couple of them which I had never seen before. Add to that, AQI was 113 when it was 400 in Gurgaon. I would strongly recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails
Day trips for foodies from Delhi-NCR?-4caef8e691c1435eb86f5d9b53a7028c.jpg  

Day trips for foodies from Delhi-NCR?-615ece8664784f2fb03f5d53ffffbb5c.jpg  

Day trips for foodies from Delhi-NCR?-48caab85d09a469faf759cfcd88c0916.jpg  

Day trips for foodies from Delhi-NCR?-img_5688.jpeg  

warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 13:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I recently visited Hill Fort Kesroli as an overnight trip. The food itself was average but it is a very intriguing place to stay and experience.
My thoughts exactly after visiting in 2018. Great 1 night away spot from Delhi.
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:24   #29
BHPian

Bumping up this thread, for Agra's famous Ram Babu Paranthas, which have also set shop at Manesar. Same taste and quality. Shallow fried in Desi ghee till crisp. Served with chutney, dahi and sitafal sabzi. Quite different from Murthal's Tandoori Paranthas and home-style Tawat Paranthas. Try their Matar Parantha, and Mix-veg Parantha.

Most Viewed