Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 11:03   #76
BHPian

Ideal speed in NH4 - Bangalore to Chennai

Guys, I am planning to drive to Chennai this weekend via Hosur- krishnagiri- vellur-Chennai. I am very much concerned about the driving speed on this highway. Can anyone advice me ? Last time when i drove, i saw 4-5 horrible accidents, deaths on the same road.

Thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2008 at 13:16. Reason: Search and continue in one of the existing threads. Thanks
Old 6th November 2008, 13:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

I would do 140 to 160 kph and be comfortable with it!
Old 6th November 2008, 14:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thanks buddy! But, i don't have ABS on my car.
Old 6th November 2008, 14:35   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Guys, I am planning to drive to Chennai this weekend via Hosur- krishnagiri- vellur-Chennai. I am very much concerned about the driving speed on this highway. Can anyone advice me ? Last time when i drove, i saw 4-5 horrible accidents, deaths on the same road.

Thanks
I would suggest not to go beyond 100Kms, as pedistrian / cycle / motor cycle has increased. Also, now almost all villages sport 50 Kms speed limit board in this road!

Last edited by mail4loys : 6th November 2008 at 14:36.
Old 6th November 2008, 15:46   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.
Thats a difficult question to answer. It all depends on what is your comfort level in your car. For some its 100 and for some its 150+.

So take it easy, be vigilant, watch out for crossings and wrong side driving.

If your car brakes are in a good condition and you have confidence in it, then you can drive faster.

Be advised, the official speed limit on the GQ is 80 kmph and when you hit a village it is 40-50 kmph. So that is the advisable speed limit if you ask me. :-)
Old 6th November 2008, 15:55   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post

Be advised, the official speed limit on the GQ is 80 kmph ...
@csentil: I was looking for this (speed limit) information on this stretch. is it displayed anywhere? i dont know how i missed it!
Old 6th November 2008, 16:00   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Wrong person answered your question.

@funda2max... keep a steady 100kmph & keep a look out all the time for jay walkers & morons driving on the wrong side, you should be fine. If you can see a straight with no interferences, push the pedal & see what your car can do. BTW, what car do you drive ?
Old 7th November 2008, 07:44   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy! But, i don't have ABS on my car.
But, you dont need ABS to go fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Wrong person answered your question.
Speed is a personal choice and one should do a speed one is comfortable with!

Why am i the wrong person BTW?
Old 7th November 2008, 13:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
@csentil: I was looking for this (speed limit) information on this stretch. is it displayed anywhere? i dont know how i missed it!
Oh.. they are there. Its just that you don't see them if you are driving by too fast. ;-)

I've had run ins with cops on the GQ for speeding. Its quite funny actually. They don't have a speed gun or anything. They will claim you are speeding and give you a ticket. I refused to pay them.
Old 14th November 2008, 21:52   #85
BHPian

the road is very neat and laned. there are barricades whenever a village cross and flyover's when a large town comes by. the traffic and the speed will not be a problem if you are driving safe. i think you will have to pay some where around 350 - 400 Rs for toll gates until you reach chennai. those toll gates are okay for some rest rooms as well. if you are travelling with family it will be safe to stop around them too.
Old 15th November 2008, 12:50   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magesh_kumar View Post
... i think you will have to pay some where around 350 - 400 Rs for toll gates until you reach chennai. ...
The toll gate fee from Bangalore to Chennai for multiple entry works out to be Rs 38 (Krishnagiri) + 53 (Vaniyambadi) + 65 (palikondam) + 40 (Samudram - Valaja ) + 40 (Nemili - Sriperambathur) => Rs 236. So it is less than this for Single entry!!
Old 18th November 2008, 10:31   #87
BANNED

Hosur flyover is back to being dangerous. Lots of construction material / debris piled up on the right lane again. This is on the side coming from Sulagiri, don't know yet about the other side. Stick to the left lane on the Hosur bridge / flyover. There are warning cones but visible only at the last minute.

Chennai city traffic is slowly aping Bangalore. Took almost an hour to reach the highway (in better times, I would have crossed the Sriperumbudur toll plaza).

19:20 Thiruvanmiyur
20:20 Hit NH4 at Poonamalee bypass
23:15 Dinner + fuel halt at A2B Chinnar
23:45 Start from Chinnar
01:15 Hebbal (via Attibele - Sarjapura - Varthur - Marathahalli - ORR)

There are 2 new HUGE speedbreakers at Varthur town or the existing ones have been beefed up.
Old 18th November 2008, 11:41   #88
BHPian

hrag,

any updates on the road conditions of kolar/chitoor route to chennai?
Old 18th November 2008, 11:44   #89
BANNED

yes sir, please see:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1054231 onwards for the latest on NH4
Old 18th November 2008, 12:11   #90
BHPian

that is helpful - thanks. i did not notice that you had updated that thread.

would be travelling this weekend - so needed an update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks