Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2011, 20:43   #586
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Quick couple of questions.

1. When do the fuel pumps open along the GQ route, especially in TN (Hosur/Krishnagiri stretch)? I am traveling tomorrow morning, and I think I have about 70-80 km worth of fuel in the car. Wondering whether I should go out now for a fill at KA rates, or fill in the morning - in which case I'd wait till I enter TN (fuel price arbitraging :-). I intend to start at 5AM from home (Marathahalli).

2. I am rather sick of the Porur-Guindy route to my destination (Kottivakkam, on the ECR few kms beyond Thiruvanmiyur) - traffic jams, metro construction etc. Last time it took me about 1.5 hours from Poonamallee to home - distance of about 25 km. Am looking at alternatives:

a. Go along the highway till Ega Theatre, turn towards Nungambakkam-Gemini flyover and then either Alwarpet-Besant Nagar-home or Kotturpuram-Madhya Kailas-IT Expressway-home.

b. Take the Chennai bypass, Irumbuliyur-Tambaram-Medavakkam-Sholinganallur-ECR-home.

Which should it be? Or is it even worth it? I expect to hit the city between 10 and 11 AM tomorrow.

Hi,
Here is my response point by point .Hope this helps

1.The petrol bunks in TN usually is 24 hours. I can remember the BP bunk with A2B restaurant being open at 4 AM in the morning. But remember the Food is usually available only around 6-6:30 AM. There is also an HP bunk which is 24 hours and you get good fuel. As per your thread 70-80 KMS if you can manage, then please do fill up petrol in one of these 2 bunks

2. With regards to the route i would request you to either go with choice b) Irumbuliyur route or it would be better to stick on to the Porur - Kathipara - Madhya Kailash - Tidel Park - ECR

Both these in terms of traffic or time taken is going to be more or less the same.
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 20:59   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. When do the fuel pumps open along the GQ route, especially in TN (Hosur/Krishnagiri stretch)? I am traveling tomorrow morning, and I think I have about 70-80 km worth of fuel in the car. Wondering whether I should go out now for a fill at KA rates, or fill in the morning - in which case I'd wait till I enter TN (fuel price arbitraging :-). I intend to start at 5AM from home (Marathahalli).
Last Monday, during my return journey from Coimbatore, I filled diesel at BP (A2B), thoppur. It was around 1:00 AM. So, I think even BP (A2B) which comes before krishnagiri should be open 24 hours.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 08:18   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand

2. I am rather sick of the Porur-Guindy route to my destination (Kottivakkam, on the ECR few kms beyond Thiruvanmiyur) - traffic jams, metro construction etc. Last time it took me about 1.5 hours from Poonamallee to home - distance of about 25 km. Am looking at alternatives:

a. Go along the highway till Ega Theatre, turn towards Nungambakkam-Gemini flyover and then either Alwarpet-Besant Nagar-home or Kotturpuram-Madhya Kailas-IT Expressway-home.

b. Take the Chennai bypass, Irumbuliyur-Tambaram-Medavakkam-Sholinganallur-ECR-home.

Which should it be? Or is it even worth it? I expect to hit the city between 10 and 11 AM tomorrow.
The petrol pump at Hosur five star agencies is a good HP pump.

Try the porur Guindy OTA new bypass to velachery taramani route? Very less signals except for velachery.
Old 18th November 2011, 08:19   #589
J.Ravi

Quote:
I intend to start at 5AM from home (Marathahalli).
By the time you reach Hosur, it will be 6 am. So, all the petrol pumps will be open by then. BP COCO pump at Chinnar before Krishnagiri toll plaza is open 24x7. At the attached A2B, you will get coffee/tea from 6:30 am, breakfast from 7 am. I suggest you fill your car with 5 litres of fuel at Bangalore rate and tank up at BP COCO pump at Chinnar, as it is located at about 90 km from Bangalore. Similarly, while returning also, you can tank up at BP COCO pump at Chinnar.
Quote:
In this route too Metro construction work is in full swing with a lot of traffic jam. Porur-Kathipara route is better than this, IMO.
Quote:
Again you have to cross Tambaram. I feel Porur-Kathipara route is better of all the alternatives.

Old 18th November 2011, 17:13   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
BP COCO pump at Chinnar before Krishnagiri toll plaza is open 24x7. At the attached A2B, you will get coffee/tea from 6:30 am, breakfast from 7 am.
I eventually filled up as I usually do at the HP pump a few kms before this one (the one with McD/CCD). I prefer the CCD coffee anyway :-)

Quote:
Porur-Kathipara route is better than this, IMO.
I took the Irubuliyur-Sholiganallur route as I was alone and could afford to explore. I made a hash of getting onto the bypass - took the northbound ramp instead of the southbound one; inadequate signage at the interchange - so had to go all the way to Ambattur to do a U-turn. Tambaram was a breeze crossing at around 11:15 AM. Took the elevated roundabout (I was surprised to see it!) towards Velacheri and then the right turn to Sholinganallur at at Medavakkam ("ECR Link Road") and onwards to ECR at Injambakkam.

Distance to my home from Poonamalle was about 25km more than the Porur-Guindy route, but time taken was a good 40 minutes less compared to my last outing. The only bad stretch is the approx. 4 km between Medavakkam and Sholinganallur, likely result of the recent rains. They have knocked down a functional bridge (eastbound lane) between Sholingallur and Injambakkam; wondering why.

Toll for the bypass is Rs. 30, toll to cross IT Expressway is Rs. 19.

Most likely I will be taking this route in the future too.
Old 18th November 2011, 17:16   #591
Senior - BHPian

Most petrol bunks on the highway would be open 24x7, you shouldnt have any issues after 5am for sure.
Old 18th November 2011, 17:32   #592
J.Ravi

Quote:
I usually do at the HP pump a few kms before this one (the one with McD/CCD).
I tried several times at HP COCO pump at Shoolagiri at night [it's called e-terminal, IIRC]. This is what happens: if I give my debit card after filling my car, the attendant takes it to their office room, swipes it and enters the next higher round figure instead of exact amount, before I go there. I blasted them left and right. But these attendants never change. On the contrast, the transactions at BP COCO pump at Chinnar are transparent. The system is automatic. First, the attendant swipes his ID token, fills the fuel, I give my debit card to him, he swipes it in the system which is located by the side of the pump, the process is over in a jiffy. No manual entering of the amount in the system, and hence, foolproof. That's why, I started patronising BP COCO pump at Chinnar and stopped HP COCO pump. Of course, if I have to go CCD for a cuppa during the ghostly hours, I directly go there. But, fuel for my car only at BP COCO pump!

Old 18th November 2011, 17:47   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what happens: if I give my debit card after filling my car, the attendant takes it to their office room, swipes it and enters the next higher round figure instead of exact amount, before I go there.
Ah OK. I always pay cash on the highways.

Anyway, it is considered a cardinal sin to let your credit card out of your sight. You are expected to keep the card in your possession/control all the time, or else the card company can refuse liability.

Especially in the case of a debit card - where the money leaves your account instantaneously.

"Skimming" card details and then misusing is not -yet- a cottage industry in India. In the western world, it is a big problem.
Old 18th November 2011, 18:16   #594
J.Ravi

Quote:
"Skimming" card details and then misusing is not -yet- a cottage industry in India.
It has already become a small-scale industry in Chennai! Chennai police have recently arrested an international gang, who were experts in stealing the details of credit/debit cards, and later, withdrawing money from ATMs and/or indulging in shopping spree with doctored cards .

Old 18th November 2011, 21:56   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has already become a small-scale industry in Chennai! Chennai police have recently arrested an international gang, who were experts in stealing the details of credit/debit cards, and later, withdrawing money from ATMs and/or indulging in shopping spree with doctored cards .
I wish the Chennai police act tough on this before this becomes a large scale industry . I have stopped using Debit/Credit cards as much as possible. Now a days I prefer only CASH.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 18th November 2011 at 21:58.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 08:22   #596
BHPian

Quote:
I made a hash of getting onto the bypass - took the northbound ramp instead of the southbound one; inadequate signage at the interchange - so had to go all the way to Ambattur to do a U-turn.

Distance to my home from Poonamalle was about 25km more than the Porur-Guindy route, but time taken was a good 40 minutes less compared to my last outing.

Toll for the bypass is Rs. 30, toll to cross IT Expressway is Rs. 19.
I too feel the signage is poor in general at this area - as I also have mistakenly missed the exit on to West direction and ended up doing a round about trip till ambathur (while coming from Tambaram) then come back and properly exit to go west. and it is one loooong one

Chennai bye pass- I always have vouched for it though it is almost double the distance (compared to taking the Manimangalam route to Sri-P) when I take the case of Pallikaranai to Sriperumbudur stretch. Except for late night hours when traffic will be meagre. ANother let down possible in bye pass is the possibility of a long que at the Toll which would eventually negate the time factor.

Why on earth would you pay the toll to "CROSS" IT Expressway??? If you are coming from Medavakkam and have to just cross over Sholinganallur Jn to go ahead to ECR, you "NEED NOT" pay anything at the toll. Just need to say "ECR" to the toll-desk guy (or "medavakkam" while you are in opp direction), and the he would give you a 0 value toll receipt which you need to show at the next toll booth and you just move on...
Old 19th November 2011, 09:43   #597
Senior - BHPian

Is there any point in investigating a similar non-standard route to Bangalore? I am looking at Hosur-Bagalur-Dommasandra-Varthur-Marathahalli (maybe not today, but certainly one of these days). How does this route compare to BETL-Madiwala-IRR-Old Airport Road? Distance-wise they appear to be the same, so the variables are road quality and traffic.
Old 19th November 2011, 20:16   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Why on earth would you pay the toll to "CROSS" IT Expressway??? If you are coming from Medavakkam and have to just cross over Sholinganallur Jn to go ahead to ECR, you "NEED NOT" pay anything at the toll. Just need to say "ECR" to the toll-desk guy (or "medavakkam" while you are in opp direction), and the he would give you a 0 value toll receipt which you need to show at the next toll booth and you just move on...
Oops! Didn't know this. Will certainly do it next time (which is around 2nd week of December).
Old 7th December 2011, 12:21   #599
Senior - BHPian

I am doing Bangalore-Chennai this Sunday (11/12) and was thinking of trying the Kolar-Chittoor-Sriperumpudur route. I am alone and intend to start from Bangalore around 5:00 AM. What is the status of this route? How much of the route is 2-lane? Traffic conditions on a Sunday?

Also, from Marathahalli, it is better to join NH4 via ORR-KR Puram or Varthur-Whitefield?

Edit: Food is not a problem for me, since my wife ensures I carry my own.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:52   #600

Quote:
I am doing Bangalore-Chennai this Sunday (11/12) and was thinking of trying the Kolar-Chittoor-Sriperumpudur route. I am alone and intend to start from Bangalore around 5:00 AM. What is the status of this route? How much of the route is 2-lane? Traffic conditions on a Sunday?

Also, from Marathahalli, it is better to join NH4 via ORR-KR Puram or Varthur-Whitefield?

Edit: Food is not a problem for me, since my wife ensures I carry my own.
I drove last week from Basavanpura. For me I hit the highway in leass than 2 kms, i.e the kolar-chitoor route. If you are leaving that early this route is good. You have a barricade 2 lane toll road (no need to pay toll as of now) for about 90 kms. After that you will go through single lane roads. They have done some work on these roads and you should find them fairly good. I personally prefer this route when I travel from Bangalore to Chennai, early in the morning. I also have a gripe against the GQ expressway. Despite paying tolls all along the way, there are so many pot holes.

If you plan to eat (if you happened to not carry food that day), at about 150 kms from KR Puram, there is a hotel called nandi Plaza.
araman2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks