Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 15:29   #496
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are referring to the one which you hit, within 50-70km from Madras (its on the left while coming from Madras), then yes even I have seen that. There are no boards which say CCD approaching. So mostly I used to miss it.

If what Narayan mentioned, is different, then its really useful.
ampere, I checked with my wife now & this comes after Vellore. So it more than 50-70km from madras..

https://foursquare.com/venue/24470443

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 8th August 2011 at 15:34.
Old 8th August 2011, 15:44   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are referring to the one which you hit, within 50-70km from Madras (its on the left while coming from Madras), then yes even I have seen that. There are no boards which say CCD approaching. So mostly I used to miss it.
The CCD you mention is bang on Sriperumbudur bypass start. The Sriperumbudur entrance arch is the identification. Though you have to drive slowly from Pennalur toll to identify and stop at that CCD. As you said its easy to miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I drove to blore. CCD service is very good but looks like there is not much space to park many cars, it was raining heavily so I did not have proper visibility of the entire area.
You drove last afternoon eh ? It was raining cats and dogs then. The CCD i mentioned is attached to a HP pump, the CCD being on the far right corner. I didnt get inside, from outside I felt there was sufficient space to park atleast 6-7 vehicles just around the CCD, may not be able to accomodate crowd like the HP, BP Ghar near Shoolagiri.

Strangely I dont remember seeing boards ahead coming from Madras, but there were 2-3 ahead from Bangalore side.
Old 8th August 2011, 15:50   #498
Team-BHP Support

Yes I was referring to the one at Sriperumbudur. So indeed there is new one.
Also which side of the road is this one?

Also is it right in between Vaniyambadi and Pallikonda?

The fact that its on the right side coming from Bangalore, is a bit of a downer.
But since there are boards, one should be easily able to take a U.
Old 8th August 2011, 16:30   #499
Senior - BHPian

The new CCD, if my memory serves me correct is part of the HP pump before the Pallikonda Toll booth. It is about a couple of kms before the tool booth. It also has a new Veg restaurant attached to it.
Old 8th August 2011, 17:56   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

You drove last afternoon eh ? It was raining cats and dogs then. The CCD i mentioned is attached to a HP pump, the CCD being on the far right corner. I didnt get inside, from outside I felt there was sufficient space to park atleast 6-7 vehicles just around the CCD, may not be able to accomodate crowd like the HP, BP Ghar near Shoolagiri.
Hey I drove during the last weekend of July & it was raining badly, all these CCD outlets on the highway should provide covered car parking, otherwise people would think twice to drop in during rainy seasons.

The roads have deteriorated due to rain, from Karnataka border till Hosur the roads have plenty of craters, the stretch covering around 30-40 kms on highway starting from Chennai is also equally bad.
Old 8th August 2011, 18:54   #501
BHPian

What are they going to do with the increased toll rates or what is the purpose of increasing the toll if the condition of the road keeps deteriorating??
Old 9th August 2011, 16:39   #502
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai OMR Update As On May 15, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Guys anyone did OMR (NH4) route recently? Are the tollbooths between the Kolar/Mulbagal stretch completed/functioning now?
I went last month. they were completed but not functional. toll may start anytime
suvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 07:21   #503
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Strangely I dont remember seeing boards ahead coming from Madras, but there were 2-3 ahead from Bangalore side.
Yesterday, while driving from Chennai to Bangalore, I saw sign boards indicating HP outlet with CCD well before reaching that spot. There was also an abs-Arya Bhavan Sweets vegetarian restaurant [nothing to do with ABS of Bangalore/Madurai - this abs has branches in Hosur/Krishnagiri only], where we had coffee/tea just to test the quality, which were good. The HP was COCO retail outlet located on the LHS 1 km before Pallikonda toll plaza while driving from Chennai to Bangalore.

Another nice development I experienced: passage through Porur junction was smooth without any hassle [at 1:30 pm on Tuesday and 2:45 pm on Wednesday] as the approach roads were widened by demolishing road-side shops and buildings. Still many more buildings were marked for demolition, which was in progress.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th August 2011 at 07:25.
  (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 09:03   #504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday, while driving from Chennai to Bangalore, I saw sign boards indicating HP outlet with CCD well before reaching that spot. There was also an abs-Arya Bhavan Sweets vegetarian restaurant [nothing to do with ABS of Bangalore/Madurai - this abs has branches in Hosur/Krishnagiri only], where we had coffee/tea just to test the quality, which were good. The HP was COCO retail outlet located on the LHS 1 km before Pallikonda toll plaza while driving from Chennai to Bangalore.

Another nice development I experienced: passage through Porur junction was smooth without any hassle [at 1:30 pm on Tuesday and 2:45 pm on Wednesday] as the approach roads were widened by demolishing road-side shops and buildings. Still many more buildings were marked for demolition, which was in progress.

Thats a good update. Thanks. So at least there are not one but 2 good break points at the centre of the journey.
That helps a lot. Breaking at A2B at Shoolagiri too early and its extremely crowded. This will help ease that part very much.
And more importantly it helps while coming from Chennai as this would be one of the few good places one would encounter.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:47   #505
Senior - BHPian

Last week I drove from Chennai to Bangalore, via the GQ route with my wife, two kids and mother-in-law. At the BETL toll booth (just before entering the elevated road), I had a curious experience.

I had drifted to the far left when entering the toll complex. But then I noticed that the first few booths are not for going into the city, so I had to stop adjacent to the leftmost city booth's line (there was quite a long line at the tollbooth). Parallel to me and in the line were two Force Travellers, and behind them, a small car (I think an I10). I made eye contact with the driver of this car, who indicated that I could squeeze in front of him. So I put my car in neutral, engaged parking brake and was waiting for the traffic to move.

Suddenly I heard a thud from behind, and when I looked in the ORVM, I saw another Traveller van behind me, with a chap (its driver) bending between the two cars looking at the bumpers. I thought he had rear-ended me, and was about to get out of the vehicle when this guy walked up to my window, and started screaming in Kannada. I told him I cannot speak Kannada, and tried Tamil, Hindi and English with him - to no avail. He was quite agitated and started banging on my car, at which point I raised the window up. He banged some more on my window, windshield etc. screaming (I could make out that he was asking me to come out and pay him money). I looked around and saw that two more Force Travellers were on my left and ahead of me - that is, a total of 5 such vans, all belonging to the same travel agency, had surrounded me. With this chap going all ballistic, my wife refused to let me get out of the car. By then traffic had started moving, and I could squeeze into the line leading to the toll booth, so I quickly escaped from the spot.

When I got to my destination and checked, there was no indication of a collision on my rear bumper. So I am at trying to figure out what this whole experience meant - was it an attempt to extort money from me? What would have happened if I had stepped out of the car? Why did they target me - because of my TN-07 numberplate and all-female passengers? The routine this guy tried now appear stage-managed to me. My wife theorizes that they had followed us all the way from Attibele at least. Has anyone had any similar experience or heard about such an experience? This was on Tuesday around 5PM.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:33   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Last week I drove from Chennai to Bangalore, via the GQ route with my wife, two kids and mother-in-law. At the BETL toll booth (just before entering the elevated road), I had a curious experience.

I had drifted to the far left when entering the toll complex. But then I noticed that the first few booths are not for going into the city, so I had to stop adjacent to the leftmost city booth's line (there was quite a long line at the tollbooth). Parallel to me and in the line were two Force Travellers, and behind them, a small car (I think an I10). I made eye contact with the driver of this car, who indicated that I could squeeze in front of him. So I put my car in neutral, engaged parking brake and was waiting for the traffic to move.

Suddenly I heard a thud from behind, and when I looked in the ORVM, I saw another Traveller van behind me, with a chap (its driver) bending between the two cars looking at the bumpers. I thought he had rear-ended me, and was about to get out of the vehicle when this guy walked up to my window, and started screaming in Kannada. I told him I cannot speak Kannada, and tried Tamil, Hindi and English with him - to no avail. He was quite agitated and started banging on my car, at which point I raised the window up. He banged some more on my window, windshield etc. screaming (I could make out that he was asking me to come out and pay him money). I looked around and saw that two more Force Travellers were on my left and ahead of me - that is, a total of 5 such vans, all belonging to the same travel agency, had surrounded me. With this chap going all ballistic, my wife refused to let me get out of the car. By then traffic had started moving, and I could squeeze into the line leading to the toll booth, so I quickly escaped from the spot.

When I got to my destination and checked, there was no indication of a collision on my rear bumper. So I am at trying to figure out what this whole experience meant - was it an attempt to extort money from me? What would have happened if I had stepped out of the car? Why did they target me - because of my TN-07 numberplate and all-female passengers? The routine this guy tried now appear stage-managed to me. My wife theorizes that they had followed us all the way from Attibele at least. Has anyone had any similar experience or heard about such an experience? This was on Tuesday around 5PM.
Try to be in the right most sides after the BETL signpost since this is the best way to take the up ramp for the elevated expressway. If you had noted the travel agency name and the vehicle # you can lodge a complaint on the bangalore traffic police facebook and they will take up your case. On highway always keep a check for vehicles tailing you as they are sure signs of mischief.
Cheers
Prasad

PS: never try to pick arguments with local elements if you cannot match up in language and your wife was correct in restraining you.

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 24th August 2011 at 11:34.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:44   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Last week I drove from Chennai to Bangalore [snip] When I got to my destination and checked, there was no indication of a collision on my rear bumper. So I am at trying to figure out what this whole experience meant - was it an attempt to extort money from me? What would have happened if I had stepped out of the car? Why did they target me - because of my TN-07 numberplate and all-female passengers? The routine this guy tried now appear stage-managed to me. My wife theorizes that they had followed us all the way from Attibele at least. Has anyone had any similar experience or heard about such an experience? This was on Tuesday around 5PM.
You did a good thing by not coming out. Bangalore is witnessing several such tricks:
  • spitting on your car
  • throwing stones
  • bikers purposely hitting your vehicle
  • bikers "acting" an accident and telling you that they are relatives of some political bigwig
Some best practices:
  • Drive early in the morning - most mischief makers get up only after 1100 hours
  • Keep your windows always closed
  • Allow adequate safety margin with respect to clearances / braking
  • Drive in such a way that you don't "invite" attention (this is one point which I keep telling myself)
Old 24th August 2011, 19:04   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
If you had noted the travel agency name and the vehicle # you can lodge a complaint on the bangalore traffic police facebook and they will take up your case.
It was Shiva Travels or some such. We did note the van number - KA-52-54NN (not posting the full version here). I was not aware of the FB option, though. :-)
Old 31st August 2011, 22:57   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Good breakfast place recommendation please?
- Starting from Bangalore to Chennai
- Close to Krishnagiri area
- Good parking facility, clean rest rooms and some open space to stretch (child friendly)
- On the same side of the highway (left) - would like to avoid U-turns if possible.
Thanks.

Edit: Searched a bit more and shortlisted these two:

1. CCD before Shoolagiri - Do they serve breakfast?? Or just sandwiches and coffee?
2. A2B at Chinnar after Shoolagir but before Krishnagiri

Which is better? (Food, parking, rest rooms)

Last edited by androdev : 31st August 2011 at 23:12.
Old 31st August 2011, 23:54   #510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
1. CCD before Shoolagiri - Do they serve breakfast?? Or just sandwiches and coffee?
2. A2B at Chinnar after Shoolagir but before Krishnagiri

Which is better? (Food, parking, rest rooms)
A2B is known for south Indian stuff. Good parking and OK rest rooms.
CCD is only sandwiches and coffee, but clean rest rooms.

Now there is a new CCD after Krishnagiri also. (At Pallikonda). See post #599.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks