Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
You mean to say it is NOT valid for 24 hrs and ends at 12 midnight the same day??
Suggest, just confirm with the toll booth guy

Abhi
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that detailed directions to Chennai. Have taken a print out of the same.
My query is: I plan to leave Saturday post lunch from Bangalore. Hit CHennai for dinner. Then leave CHennai for Bangalore after breakfast and intend to hit Blore just after lunch.

In that case can I opt for a two way ticket at the toll booth?

Is it valid for 24 hrs or validity ends at 12 midnight the same day?

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Total toll one way is around Rs.150/- one way. 25+35+40+30+25 I think for the 5 toll gates (Krishnagiri, Vanyambadi, Pallikonda, Ranipet, Sriperambadur)

If you want Two way please mention explicitly. The rates are higher. Krishnagiri Toll plaza is Rs.38. That I know for sure. The return toll is valid for 24 hours. No it does not expire at midnight. I've stayed in Krishnagiri and returned the next day and not paid anything as I was within 24 hours. Make sure you have the slip.

Anyways you can always enquire as akroy said.
Old 23rd February 2008, 02:10   #33
BHPian

Thanks csentil and akroy. Last time when I went to Vellore I enquired. First theres a queue behind you and not much time and when I asked he said it expires at midnight.. one of my friends said it is 24 hrs. So thought it better to ask the experts here.. that clears my doubt. Will enquire also and ask for two way!!
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:21   #34
BHPian

Quote:

In that case can I opt for a two way ticket at the toll booth?

Is it valid for 24 hrs or validity ends at 12 midnight the same day?

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks.
If you are sure of crossing the toll booth, within 24 hours, then you go ahead buy the 24 hrs multiple entry ticket, which will be around 30% more compare to one entry only ticket.

regards,
-manju
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

The GQ rocks period. One can do Chennai - Bangalore [read sriperumbudur - hosur] in 3 hours at constant 140. The last stretch either side is another hour if lucky.

The OMR used to be good. But one cant do speeds..the roads are great to drive especially at night - I've done Chennai Banglore too many times on OMR and its fun..but the journey takes around 5 to six hours and one is tired!

The GQ does not tire you and the journey is more relaxed. Agreed the old trees are gone and the occasional mad idiot comes straight at you in your lane ahead of you and expects You to MOVE..We are in India where democracy rocks..

The GQ gives you better FE too as there are minimal gearshifts. Prefer the GQ!

Madan, why not have a poll ?
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
buy the 24 hrs multiple entry ticket,
Its not a multiple entry - its a return which can be used only ONCE and within 24 hours - the time is usually scribbled in the ticket and some use a hologram to distinguish the return from the regular single.
Old 25th February 2008, 11:05   #37
BHPian

Did the Chennai trip and back in my SParky.

Yes its valid for 24 hours. And I understand its mutiple entry.

I bought it Saturday afternoon and returned with the ticket on Sunday morning.

Thanks
Nimz
Old 29th February 2008, 09:32   #38
BHPian

They are 4 laning the road between Hoskote and Mulabagal. The beautiful Gulmohar trees are all gone. pretty soon, there will be no difference between the 2 routes to chennai except the Palamaner Ghat section.
Old 29th February 2008, 15:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

How sad. The road from Hoskote to Kolar is lined with so many nice big shady trees. As is the road from Kolar to Mulbagal.

This was budgeted for and money allocated quite sometime back in the Karnataka budget. I was actually surprised to see work had not started when I took this route a few months back.

Atleast Mulbagal -> Palmaner -> Chittoor is spared as of now.

Summer drive through this route used to be good as there was plenty of shade and the roads cooler. Now it will be as you said as hot as the GQ !! Hope no one gets a flat on this stretch !!
Old 19th June 2008, 11:15   #40
BHPian

bangalore-chennai via krishnagiri

Hi,

I will be driving from BLR to chennai via krishangiri (stop-over at Vellore) tomorrow.
Based on ealrier threads, it seems that blr-chenai via chittoor is not advisable.

Has anyone done the above route recently? Please let me know if the route I plan to take is ok..in terms of the roads as well as the traffic.

Also, what is difference in terms of Kms in the two routes?

any advice on eating joints to get a bit of rest..

if the latest info on the above Q is already posted, then please point me to it. I cudnt find it.

thanks so much..

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread closed. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th June 2008 at 11:38. Reason: Search forum before new thread
Old 19th June 2008, 11:28   #41
BHPian

Not sure what search string you used, but there are a lot of threads here regarding both the routes. Please find a few below :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-old-new.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-no-pics.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-highway.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-chittoor.html
Old 19th June 2008, 11:45   #42
BHPian

thanks vvnagan,

I prefer to take GQ and most of the other threads have info about NH-4. So, wanted to check if someone has done the route thru GQ.

Thanks for pointing to the threads anyways..
Old 19th June 2008, 14:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

What do I have to say about the GQ from here to Chennai. Its in excellent condition except from Bangalore - TN border as this section is being 6 laned. Hosur bus-stand is outside the town on the GQ itself so except small snarls there.

You'll have to pay 25 (Krishnagiri), 35 (Vaniyambadi), 45 (Pallikonda) , 25 (Ranipet), 30 (Poonamallee) at the toll gates for one way.

Watch out for wrong side driving and vehicles jumping onto the GQ from either side.

You have a lot of eatouts before Krishnagiri and after Ambur towards Vellore.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:39   #44
BHPian

csentil,

Thanks for the info. I am planning to start by 2PM tomorrow, so I think I should be able to stay away from the peak traffic on EC - Hosur.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:40   #45
BANNED

Day / not in a big hurry: NH4 all the way
Night / in a hurry: GQ (NH7 - NH46 - NH4)

I don't particularly advise the old route at night because overtaking can be a pain (single lane road from Bangalore all the way until Ranipettai) plus you have manic bus drivers who WILL try and push you off the road (was almost pushed off the road twice on Sunday night by buses overtaking on the other side)

The GQ is longer by around 20 km. Watch out for town traffic and pedestrians at Hosur, Ambur and Vellore. The stretch between the Sriperumbudur and Ranipettai toll plazas is the best of the lot.

Last edited by hrag : 19th June 2008 at 14:44.

Most Viewed