Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 07:06   #4051
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

New Chennai to Bangalore Route

Recently I been to Kanchipuram temple and notice the bad roads, potholes and diversions, dust and what not right after crossing Vellapanchavdi.

Last time I used NH48 to bangalore was in 2021 and it wasn't in this bad shape.

I was checking this thread for any updates on the road condition and surprised to see everyone's sailing in the same ship. I am also surprised to see none of the travellers or seniors have mentioned the new route to bangalore which is part of the Chennai - Bangalore Expressway project.

During the covid peak and lockdowns, I have taken this new route which is build by NHAI between 3 states (AP, KA and TN) and the quality of the road was top-notch. it's a mixture of 6 and 4 lane highway. The only drawback of this route is that we don't get small tea shops but only branded outlets like Starbucks, CCD and hardrock cafe. This road quality is very similar to Chennai Outer Ring Road.

This route saves lot of traffic which we may encounter after entering hosur and this will land us directly into heart of Bangalore city.

Right after crossing vellore, we have to turn right underneath a flyover, a few kms inside city and hit this expressway.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-screenshot-20230116-5.42.28-pm.png

Exit point at Bangalore near UB City.

Last edited by udayjani : 17th January 2023 at 07:13.
Old 17th January 2023, 08:02   #4052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
New Chennai to Bangalore Route

Recently I been to Kanchipuram temple and notice the bad roads, potholes and diversions, dust and what not right after crossing Vellapanchavdi.

Last time I used NH48 to bangalore was in 2021 and it wasn't in this bad shape.
I think you referring to the 4-laned old Madras route? Can you post the route map in more detail?
Old 17th January 2023, 08:08   #4053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think you referring to the 4-laned old Madras route? Can you post the route map in more detail?

Here’s the GMAP link for the route:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/AsWiSP6EVfYwQS2g6?g_st=ic

Google shows 3 route to Bangalore. Thus route is after vellore via Gudiyatham.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-016a71dd7543413b8e51bc70c20fbcbe.png

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2023 at 09:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged
udayjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 09:49   #4054
BHPian

Had to make a quick dash to Chennai (Pattabiram) on 15th Jan. Since, I live closer to Old Madras Road, my usual route is via Chittoor-Ranipet-Nazarethpettai-ORR-Pattabiram.

But given the state of NH between Chennasamudram toll plaza and Sriperumbudur, I was eager to try out alternatives.

So my onward journey was:
Tin factory-Chittoor (go inside the town) - Ponnai - Sholinghur - RK Pet- Tiruttani bypass - Tiruvallur - Pattabiram
With leisurely driving, (most towns were empty due to Pongal holidays), and 1 hour dinner break at Tiruttani, we reached destination in 7 hours (Door-to-door distance 320kms). Most importantly, it was stress-free driving. 2-lane SH in TN remain great

Return journey on Monday (16th Jan) was Pattabiram - Tiruvallur - Tiruvalangadu - Arakkonam - Sholinghur - Ponnai - Chittoor (inside town) - Kolar - Bangalore.
Total journey time including 20 minutes food & bio break was 6.5 hours. Again very sedate, non-hurried driving, enjoying tree-laden SH in TN & AP.

Out of the 2 routes above, I prefer the Tiruttani one since the roads are less curvy and wider. Roads betwen Pattarai-perumbudur toll plaza and Tiruvalangadu is smooth but lots of speed breakers at every village slows you down. But the stretch between Tiruvalangadu and Arakkonam are a driver's delight. Lots of curves, no pot holes, very smooth, and no speed breakers

Only fly in the ointment is navigating Chittoor town during peak hours which can take about 20-30 minutes.

Last edited by srvm : 17th January 2023 at 09:50.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 09:50   #4055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
Here’s the GMAP link for the route:
if the 4-6 lane section that you are referring to is between Hoskote-Mulbagal-Palamener, then that's the regular 4-lane update of the old-Madras road and not the Expressway. That was the point I was making earlier. The expressway has a different route alignment compared to the ones you pointed to.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 09:56   #4056
BHPian

Quote:
if the 4-6 lane section that you are referring to is between Hoskote-Mulbagal-Palamener, then that's the regular 4-lane update of the old-Madras road and not the Expressway. That was the point I was making earlier. The expressway has a different route alignment compared to the ones you pointed to.
Noted!

I couldn’t recollect most since it was night and raining heavily but one thing for sure is that this route has less pedestrian crossing than the NH48. This route is quite similar to Chennai Outer Ring Road.

Can use this route to avoid Hosur and Electronic City flyover traffic and toll charges.

Another important thing to note is that after Gudiyattam, I hardly seen any toll plazas.

Will update more on this route as I’m planning to travel Pune via this route.
Old 17th January 2023, 10:00   #4057
Senior - BHPian

Took the Tiruvannamalai route from Hosur.

Started from Chandapura around 1000 am, crossed Krishnagiri toll little after 1100 am. Reached Tindivanam bypass intersection at 245 pm (2 breaks totalling about 30-40 minutes). Left at 330 pm and reached home (near SRM) at 440 pm.

Mathur and Tiruvannamalai bypass is open to traffic. Singarapettai, Uthangarai, Chengam bypasses are still not open to traffic. Don't know if Gingee bypass is in progress, no indication of it.

Tiruvannamalai-Gingee-Tindivanam and initial kms from Krishnagiri is busy, relatively easy going. Speeds varied between 70 and 90 through the trip.

Couple of diversions with bad sections < 100 meters. Couple of 1/2 km sections where one side road is done. Rest are good tarmac.
narayans80 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 11:55   #4058
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Looks like timing wise its all the same. But surely more peace of mind this way (~7 Hrs with breaks) ?

Still the last mile pain exists here too? I mean Chengalpettu-Chennai? (Or you go via Thiruporur/Kelambakkam?)

But good to note about this option! Am still thinking to start early and endure the Arcot- Kanchi pain and then head inside by Miltary road to Walajabad.

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2023 at 11:57.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:47   #4059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like timing wise its all the same.
When I branched of Krishnagiri, this route showed 50 minutes slower. It is slower by atleast 30 minutes, you'll only do 90 kph max (as opposed to 100-110 on Krishnagiri-Arcot section). If you have that expectation in mind before taking it, it is a peaceful drive. Distance wise its not much, Hosur-Chandapura-Tiruvannamalai route-SRM took me 352 km.

Quote:
Still the last mile pain exists here too?
If you are well inside city limits, its always going to be there.

I reside out of town. Took me 70 minutes for the 80 km from Tindivanam bypass. My only worry was SP Koil traffic. For those residing along OMR/ECR, you can branch off at Chengalpattu and go via THiruporur

Quote:
Arcot- Kanchi pain and then head inside by Miltary road to Walajabad
Military Road is now a total mess with lots of diversions. It was a lot worse when I drove onward on Pongal eve.

If you are enduring the diversion mess, as well endure till Sunguvarchatram and go through Sriperumbudur SIPCOT/SH120.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 14:02   #4060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Started from Chandapura around 1000 am, crossed Krishnagiri toll little after 1100 am. Reached Tindivanam bypass intersection at 245 pm (2 breaks totalling about 30-40 minutes). Left at 330 pm and reached home (near SRM) at 440 pm.
How ironic. Life has come a full circle for this stretch now. For the past many years everyone was trying to find alternate routes between Tiruvannamalai & Krishnagiri now this has become an alternate to Krishnagiri - Chennai.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 16:03   #4061
BHPian

Quote:

Mathur and Tiruvannamalai bypass is open to traffic. Singarapettai, Uthangarai, Chengam bypasses are still not open to traffic. Don't know if Gingee bypass is in progress, no indication of it.
Does the stretch between Krishnagiri and TV Malai have lots of speed breakers or smooth as the TV Malai Gingee section?
Old 17th January 2023, 19:33   #4062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
How ironic. Life has come a full circle for this stretch now.
Indeed it is! For Chengalpattu through Villupuram, this actually would be the faster route.

Since this is just a wide 2-lane, its not going to scale up significantly. So this is only stop-gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Does the stretch between Krishnagiri and TV Malai have lots of speed breakers or smooth as the TV Malai Gingee section?
No speed breakers on the highway stretch. There are few inside towns, which is on expected lines.

Roads beyond Tiruvannamalai are wider than Tindivanam-Tiruvannamalai stretch and less traffic.
narayans80 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 22:38   #4063
BHPian

How about this route to avoid bad roads upto Chennasamudram toll plaza via vembakkam. Atleast the map shows a difference of just 3 minutes between the two different routes
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-ac81bcb1d98a48a688fa91f0cc323ae1.png  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-bf4f212b338c49d2a16f005983dcda09.png  

Old 18th January 2023, 08:30   #4064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Chennasamudram toll plaza via vembakkam
I went via Vembakkam on my onward on Pongal eve. I had left Chromepet around 330-345 pm and reached Alankar near Ratnagiri at 700 pm.

Till Walajabad it is fast.

After Walajabad till Iyengarkuppam via Military Road there are WIP sections, all shift bus traffic. It is actually slower than NH4 on this section. Iyengarkuppam to Cheyyar-Arcot road (Vembakkam is one of the villages enroute) is a strict 2-lane with intermittent speed breakers. You'll at the most do 70 on this stretch.

Cheyyar-Arcot road (you'll join 25 km north of Cheyyar) is fast, you can 80-90 at stretches. You'll join NH4 right after Palar bridge bypassing all bad sections.

My timings are a bit skewed from the Pongal eve traffic, still the roads are not fast or great enough to compete with NH4. You don't get any significant peace of mind gained taking this route. That's what I felt.

Bukkathurai-Uthiramerur-Manampathy-Mangal X Road-Cheyyar-Arcot bypass is a notch better. After Uthiramerur you get wider roads and less traffic for the detour taken. Last summer, there was work going on the Bukkathurai-Uthiramerur and Mangal-Cheyyar section for short distances, but the lesser traffic makes it easier to negotiate.

Whichever detour you take, you'll have to set some expectations in mind before you drive:
  • Speeds will be 60-90 depending on the merit of the road.
  • None of the alternatives save time, infact add about 20 minutes.
  • The only reason you are detouring is to give you peace of mind and save your car suspension a bit.
narayans80 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 09:53   #4065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Till Walajabad it is fast
I'm sure you know, but still, Chennai is AT BEST to ride/drive during the season of Pongal reminding the traffic of late 90s
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks