Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2022, 08:35   #3736
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Need to drive to Hebbal from Chennai this weekend. Google shown Chitoor route to be faster by 30 mins and shorter by 16 kms. Is it worth taking this route or stick to Krishnagiri route.

I am planning to take Tambaram - Sriperumbudur road since I stay in Nanganallur.

Advices welcome
Thanks for all the suggestions.

1. Onward route

My first stop was at Vidyaranyapura. The roue was Nanganallur - Tambaram - Perungalattur - Manivakkam (even though a slight detour avoids traffic on Tambaram Mudichur road), Sriperumpudur - Krishnagiri - Nice Road - Vidyaranyapura. Left at 9 am and reached at 4 pm with a break in between.

2. Return

Started from Yelahanka. Cut through the city and took Hosur road. Left by 7 am on Saturday and not much of city traffic. Same route back home.

Lot of diversions between Wallajah to Kanchipuram but road conditions are generally good.
raju2512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 21:54   #3737
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I plan a quick day trip to Mangadu and back to Bangalore tomorrow.

What’s the best way to reach the temple? Do I go all the way across Poonamallee and then turn off to the temple? Also, does this have parking place?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 9th February 2022, 10:10   #3738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Do I go all the way across Poonamallee and then turn off to the temple?
Unless you are crossing early morning or late night. I'd advise against going through Poonamalee, since Mangadu turn is at the other end at the junction of SH55 and NH4.

Am not in touch with the parking facilities. Its been several years since I had been to Mangadu.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 11:15   #3739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I plan a quick day trip to Mangadu and back to Bangalore tomorrow.

What’s the best way to reach the temple? Do I go all the way across Poonamallee and then turn off to the temple? Also, does this have parking place?

Yes, though not big, but there is a small dedicated parking, for Mangadu temple. Also, there is parking space in nearby road/other entrance of the temple, with little walking (5 minutes) required.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ym6HquYmoxs771tP7

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 14:44   #3740
BHPian

Quote:
Do I go all the way across Poonamallee and then turn off to the temple? Also, does this have parking place?

From Sriperumpudur take the Kundrathur Road. If you are new to this route, go up to the Sriperumpudur temple entry arch , take a U turn and turn left into the Kundrathur road. There are clear markings on the road.

Another option is to take the outer ring road from Poonamalle and get of at Kundrathur exit.

GMAP will guide you
raju2512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 15:28   #3741
BHPian

Reached Chennai couple of hours back , took the usual Krishnagiri route and timed it to avoid the traffic jam near Sriperumbudur. Drive was stress free and no major hold ups anywhere.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 16:07   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Narayans80, Ravib and Raju2512 - Thanks a lot. I took the U turn at SriPerumbudur. I never imagined the kind of jams and traffic I saw there.

There is a board saying No U turn. But the cops manning that junction was ok. I saw many take the U turn.

Good trip and the Kundrathur Road was a peace after the traffic filled drive.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 20:22   #3743
BANNED

If taking the kundrathur route from sriperumbudur, which of 1,2,3 is the best route to Tiruvanmiyur ?

1) kundrathur -> porur -> guindy -> madhya kailas -> tiruvanmiyur
2) kundrathur -> pallavaram -> airport -> guindy -> madhya kailas -> tiruvanmiyur
3) kundrathur -> pallavaram circle jn -> pallikaranai -> thoraippakkam -> OMR to tiruvanmiyur

"best" = surface first priority, less traffic second priority
Old 14th February 2022, 22:51   #3744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
1) kundrathur -> porur -> guindy -> madhya kailas -> tiruvanmiyur
This may work only in one direction, when going to Tiruvanmiyur. Thanks to metro construction, Porur would see pileups

For return, you can take OMR-200 ft Road-Vandalur-Oragadam-Sriperumbudur. Only the Perungulathur junction is mediocre, rest are fine.

Quote:
2) kundrathur -> pallavaram -> airport -> guindy -> madhya kailas -> tiruvanmiyur
Quote:
3) kundrathur -> pallavaram circle jn -> pallikaranai -> thoraippakkam -> OMR to tiruvanmiyur
There is metro construction at Tidel, so there are traffic pileups after SRP till Film City Road on a daily basis.

I don't think Kundrathur to Pallavarm really makes sense for a Tiruvanmiyur destination.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 05:58   #3745
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
For return, you can take OMR-200 ft Road-Vandalur-Oragadam-Sriperumbudur. Only the Perungulathur junction is mediocre, rest are fine.
So now the section from Kathipara to Poonamallee is so bad that its better to take Vandalur/Oragadam? Is there no other option?
Old 15th February 2022, 15:33   #3746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So now the section from Kathipara to Poonamallee is so bad that its better to take Vandalur/Oragadam? Is there no other option?
Porur-Kattupakkam was bad enough. According to a colleague who lives in Manapakkam, metro work has started near Trade Center. So expect that section to be glorious for the next 2-3 years atleast. Kundrathur route is OK for Porur junction, but beyond Arcot Road or Mount-Poonamalee road will become a mess.

Last 2-3 times I drove, GMaps always suggested Koyambedu-Maduravoyal-Poonamalee bypass.

Tambaram-Mudichur has 25 speed breakers.

Vandalur-Oragadam is fast route, except Perungulathur junction and Padappai. Remaining can be done at 80-90.

OMR too is going to be a mess. Exactly which sections is what remains to be seen.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:27   #3747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post

"best" = surface first priority, less traffic second priority
Kundrathur-> Pallavaram : During day time (8am -9pm), the traffic might be bad and may take around an hour to cross. But still feel the 2nd option to be faster and good roads.
pram_ind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:01   #3748
BHPian

Okay so my Chennai trip is done. I got to Pondicherry yesterday and was pretty disappointed with ECR after Mahabalipuram. I didn’t know the road is mostly an undivided two-lane highway. The density of traffic is too high for that kind of a road, with rashly driven state tourism buses + large vehicles with fancy/illegal VIP number plates. One such Innova went three-wide (our car in the left lane, an overtaking vehicle to our right, and the Innova to the far right) and almost caused an accident.

Rants aside, we’ve finalised the plan now. On Thursday we are going to Taj MG Road in BLR. Is this the best route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
If you are leaving from Pondicherry, then Pondicherry-Tindivanam-Arcot-Vellore-Ambur-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Attibelle-Bangalore route.

Not sure where is your destination in Bangalore, but these are mostly NH and straightforward, so that you are not confused or lost.
Google Maps shows three routes and Ravi’s option seems to be the fastest. I’m obviously trusting Team-BHP members more than G Maps. Here are the routes:

https://goo.gl/maps/E1VaeRDZW46QC32m6

It shows Ravi’s suggestion, another one via Chittoor, and a third one via Tiruvannamalai. Which of these routes avoids two-lane stretches? I’m okay with a longer option if I can stay on four-lane roads throughout.

Secondly, we plan to leave early (5am or earlier) so will have to stop for breakfast and lunch on the way. Any suggestions for that would be very welcome. Places with clean washrooms are high priority, because I’m travelling with my wife.
Crow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:42   #3749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Google Maps shows three routes and Ravi’s option seems to be the fastest. I’m obviously trusting Team-BHP members more than G Maps. Here are the routes:

Yes. Please go ahead take the Tindivanam-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot road. At Arcot you get on to the 6-lane to Krishnagiri. Many good break options available.

PS: Check out Google maps. Tindivanam has a good bypass option to Vandavasi. No need to get into the town. About 90km you have some uneven 2-lane roads to Arcot. And there on its easy 4/6 lane.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd February 2022 at 08:44.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 19:51   #3750
BHPian

Are there any other threads for restaurants and stops on the Chittoor route?

If not, can someone recommend 2-3 options that are clean/good for families between the Bangalore Chittoor stretch? We usually use the Krishnagiri route but wanted to try this option to go to Whitefield. We have a 18-month-old and a 5-year-old kid so a stop or two are mandatory.
showboat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks