Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 15:28   #3676
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
^^Since KR Puram is closer for me, wondering if Bangalore-Chittoor would be fine ? Any roadwork in progress between Chittoor-Ranipet ?
Yes the roadwork is (still) in-progress between Chittoor bypass and Ranipet, decent roads in that stretch, though. Be wary of traffic on the same carriage-way in certain stretches.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 21:41   #3677
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Sriperumbudur-Oragadam-Vandalur-Mambakkam-Kelambakkam-Sholinganallur would be the most peaceful route even though its tad longer. Except for the right turn at Sriperumbudur, you'll not see traffic anywhere else.
Can you please share the gmaps route link ?

**If it helps, my destination is in VGP Prabhu Nagar, Medavakkam/Perumbakkam.
Old 26th October 2021, 21:54   #3678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the gmaps route link ?
Here you go

Before you ask, yes it is a detour. These are fully divider separated roads until Sholinganallur junction and possibly part of Perumbakkam Road leading to your destination. You'll only see some suburban traffic which is pretty minimal.

Last edited by narayans80 : 26th October 2021 at 21:59.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 22:03   #3679
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go

Before you ask, yes it is a detour. These are fully divider separated roads until Sholinganallur junction and possibly part of Perumbakkam Road leading to your destination. You'll only see some suburban traffic which is pretty minimal.
Thanks so much.

Are there any confusing turns ? Hope the right turn turn before the Rajiv Gandhi Memorial is easy to not miss ?
Old 26th October 2021, 22:11   #3680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any confusing turns ?
The Oragadam turn from Sriperumbudur is the only place you need to be careful.
Oragadam to Vandalur turn is marked I think. There is a large overbridge (which is the only one that crosses). You should see quite a few automotive OEMs approaching Oragadam.
Padappai-Vandalur to GST is a T- junction some 4 km after Padappai Shell.
Vandalur-Mambakkam road - Keep below the bridge, the left turn is exactly after Vandalur Zoo.
Mambakkam-Kelambakkam to OMR is again a T junction.
Sholinganallur junction is a major junction. Its probably the biggest traffic light after Navalur toll (the only toll you'll see after Chennasamudram if you have followed the above route).
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 09:02   #3681
BHPian

Started from Jayanagar at 3:15 am and reached Nungambakkam at 8:30 am. Lot of traffic near Sriperumbudur, cops at Hosur stopped me for any liquor bottles. None found and was let off

Last edited by ampere : 27th October 2021 at 11:02.
Old 27th October 2021, 09:07   #3682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
cops at Hosur stopped me for any liquor bottles
Is this a new thing? have never faced liquor check at KA-TN border before, in both pre-covid and covid era.
Old 27th October 2021, 09:41   #3683
BHPian

Quote:
^^Since KR Puram is closer for me, wondering if Bangalore-Chittoor would be fine ? Any roadwork in progress between Chittoor-Ranipet ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Yes the roadwork is (still) in-progress between Chittoor bypass and Ranipet, decent roads in that stretch, though. Be wary of traffic on the same carriage-way in certain stretches.
I have done the Chittoor route 4-5 times in the last 2 months.
Agree with Rocky_Balboa. Chittoor route is doable in daytime. Not preferred in night time (though I have done it myself since I became familiar with location of bad sections due to repeated travel). Most sections are completed between Chittoor bypass and Ranipet but small bad sections (about 50m each) remain. Watch out for vechicles (particularly 2 wheelers) who will travel wrong-side in your carriageway to avoid bad sections in the opposite carriageway. In day time, they are easy to spot.

Couple of things to note:
1. On the Nangli-Chittoor section, on several locations (particularly on overpasses) only one lane is open (other lanes are blocked using barricades). Watch out for them and change your lane much in advance.

2. Ranipet railway overbridge is under repair work. Take this route to cross Ranipet.

Overall this route might be more peaceful than Krishnagiri route during the impending long weekend.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:01   #3684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bong_voyager View Post
Is this a new thing? have never faced liquor check at KA-TN border before, in both pre-covid and covid era.
Totally unheard of. At Zuzuvadi, they are more busy extorting trucks than bothering private cars.
Old 27th October 2021, 10:02   #3685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bong_voyager View Post
Is this a
it might have been the time at which I was crossing the border (3:30am) and also might be my unshaven wfh look
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:26   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
Totally unheard of. At Zuzuvadi, they are more busy extorting trucks than bothering private cars.
Cops can be found in "Mufti" or Civilian attire right after crossing Attibele border towards Hosur, just before the 1st flyover opp. to SIPCOT. I have been checked a couple of times, but if they see you in company uniform they usually don't stop you for checking.

Have heard that they usually hit jackpot at that check-post.
k88k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:43   #3687
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my experience as well. I have done BLR MAA trip 8-10 times a year for the last 15 years ( single and with family ), and have never been flagged down.

Never seen them check the buses/cabs/TTs either
Old 27th October 2021, 11:00   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
Cops can be found in "Mufti" or Civilian attire right after crossing Attibele border towards Hosur, just before the 1st flyover opp. to SIPCOT.
I've seen them. Doing Hosur/Bangalore is like visiting grocery store. Happens 5-6 times a year atleast. Mostly with family, few times done alone too. Only 2 times I've been flagged down in years, both were during elections on the service road leading from HP Shoolagiri to NH.

These experiences are based on driving a TN vehicles.
Old 27th October 2021, 12:24   #3689
BHPian

Quote:
Folks - need some help with route recommendations.

Bangalore - Old Mahabalipuram road (Sholinganallur) on Saturday morning, early morning 5am start, guess I will have to endure long weekend traffic, no escape!

Sholinganallur - Bangalore on Monday morning (Nov 1). Can start after 8am

**Is there a need for TN E pass or RTPCR ? I'm fully vaccinated so will have the digital copies of certificates.
This is the alternate straightforward route Link. Apart for around 12KM on SH110 till Mudichur, rest all is divider separated roads. Manimangalam - Mudichur - Tambarm has recently been resurfaced at places and is in good condition. Traffic might be on higher side in this route after Tambaram, but for most part it would be moving. Only bad part is the last 1KM between Medavakkam Junction and Perumbakkam, where roads have been dug and only one lane is usable.

Quote:
Here you go

Makin Rulesz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 14:31   #3690
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sholinganallur junction is a major junction. Its probably the biggest traffic light after Navalur toll (the only toll you'll see after Chennasamudram if you have followed the above route).
Thanks so much for a great route suggestion and perfect directions with landmarks I made it to my destination without losing my way/missing a turn anywhere (if you're wondering why I'm emphasizing this, it's because I have a history of missing at least one turn in routes I try the first time, despite having navigation support! ).

I started around 5am, on a whim I just took the Krishnagiri route instead of Chittoor route. Traffic was quite normal/low despite being a long weekend. Most tolls had just a few vehicles and no long lines anywhere. I took it very easy and drove slowly too as there was intermittent rain and after Chennasamudram toll there's the 6-laning work in progress which needs driving on narrow service roads for a good distance interspersed with diversions to the main carriageway for short stretches at some places).
Took a 45 minute breakfast break at Sai Sangeet Vaniyambadi and another 30 odd minutes at a Shell outlet in Oragadam to make some phone calls to folks who were trying to reach me to find out if all was well!

From Chennasamudram, I had G-Maps navigation with the map link that you shared, but once I took the turn towards Oragadam Industrial area, it started having its own mind and insisted that I make a U-turn multiple times. So much so, I just turned it off and simply followed the road signages and your directions, I did have the Garmin PND to guide me, though it was asking me to turn towards Mudichur after Padappai and finally understood my intent and recalculated the route towards Kelambakkam-OMR-Sholinganallur and navigated me perfectly to my destination. I reached at 11:15am with total distance of 380Km door to door.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st October 2021 at 06:11. Reason: As requested
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks