Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 17:38   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Regarding the Sarjapur-Bangarpet-Gudiyatham road, would not recommend for Night drives. Use it only if you have an SUV and want to save on Toll charges.
I have to reach Ambattur Industrial Estate, Chennai. So do you recommend the NH46 + NH4 itself.
What should be the ideal time i should start. Have to reach max by 8am.
What should be the average driving time from Silkboard to this place. I drive max to 110-120 and on my Punto
Old 31st August 2010, 18:15   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Aryaas was my coffee stop when I used to do Bangalore Chennai every alternate weekends eight months back. The filter coffee was kick ***. Not tried anything else there.
I recently tried Chola the restaurant for breakfast when I went to Pollachi last weekend. The food was good and the prices were nominal (compared to A2B which is a ripoff). This is just between Vaniyambadi and Natrampalli.
Pollachi and Vanyambadi? Did you mean Pondicerry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjo View Post
How is the route through Sarjapur - Bangarapet, the one attached. My dad ones did that to Aarni and said its ok, but was couple of months back.
Its basically SH 59 + NH4.

Heard traffic is quite less, that's why asked.
I have to leave in the night as in i have to be in Chennai tomorrow morning before 8am.

See the Turupathi route and my updates on the following thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...de-help-9.html

Summary: Till Malur its fine. Never driven towards Bangarapet and Venkatagirikota.
Time wise: Take the GQ. If you want some SH fun, you may try. I am told its a bit desolate. Not recommended for nights.
Old 31st August 2010, 20:21   #318
BHPian

Quote:
What should be the ideal time i should start. Have to reach max by 8am.
What should be the average driving time from Silkboard to this place. I drive max to 110-120 and on my Punto
Hope you have not started yet. If you have not, would suggest start before 3:30 am. I have only done the reverse in the morning. start from Chennai (Perungudi -OMR) at 4:30 AM and be in e-city at 8:15 AM. I believe you can do similar times at the speeds you have mentioned.

@ampere: Yes I did travel to Pollachi. I no longer live in Bangalore, but in Chennai now. So route was Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Bhavani - Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi

Last edited by DWind : 31st August 2010 at 20:25.
Old 31st August 2010, 21:01   #319
BHPian

Well, werez Mr naveenroy gone ?? Started the query and left for a stroll or what ??
Old 31st August 2010, 23:42   #320
Senior - BHPian

Hehe....still here....

Hello quadra - nope me still here and was reading all your inputs.

Can't usually access from office, so no reply.

This is why I love Team-BHP so much. So much of good information and help. Thanks for the guidance. Hope this will be enough and I have a safe ride with my friends and back.

aargee - glad to see you are interested in bikes too! RX? And many thanks for the detailed map and explanations.

No worries on the riding safe part - full kit with armor and boots - and hopefully a sane head to go with it all!
Old 31st August 2010, 23:43   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
aargee - glad to see you are interested in bikes too! RX?
Yep a brand new 2010 model released out of home . But how did you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And many thanks for the detailed map and explanations.
I'm glad; I could be of some help.
Old 31st August 2010, 23:51   #322
BHPian

Quote:
How is the route through Sarjapur - Bangarapet, the one attached. My dad ones did that to Aarni and said its ok, but was couple of months back.
Its basically SH 59 + NH4.

Heard traffic is quite less, that's why asked.
I have to leave in the night as in i have to be in Chennai tomorrow morning before 8am.
If possible, avoid this route. I do travel often in this route, can't even compare to GQ. By the time one reach Sarajpur to Bangarpet, you can reach KrishnaGiri.

regards,
-manju
Old 1st September 2010, 02:59   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yep a brand new 2010 model released out of home . But how did you know?
The 4 minute ride from porur to ambattur on RX and the 6 minute drive on Wagon R and the 7 minutes on Activa.

This is how we know you are an RX Fan!
Old 3rd October 2010, 19:27   #324
JLN
BHPian

Bangalore - Chennai: Route Guide

Bangalore - Chennai Road Trip for newbies

After having done over 12 trips on this route, I have provided information that will be useful for future travelers. I have provided info on the Bangalore-Chennai route - the same directions in reverse will hold for the return trip.

Route Options:
1) NH7-NH46-NH4: Hosur, Krishnagiri, Ambur, Vellore, Sriperumbudur
2) NH4: Kolar, Chittoor (bypass), Ranipet, Sriperumbudur

Option 1 is highly recommended. The entire route is a 4 lane divided highway and the road surface is excellent - so driving comfort and safety levels are higher. You should be to do the trip (door to door) in under 6 hours with a reasonable break for about 30-45 minutes. If you time your trip right, 5-5.5 hrs is possible with sane driving and a reasonable stop.
Option 2 is a 2 lane undivided highway all the way upto Ranipet. Road surface is quite good, but overtaking will be more difficult and driving a little more stressful
After doing option 2 twice, we always take Option 1.

Stretch 1: Silk Board (Bangalore) to Krishnagiri - 90 kms, 1.5 hours
From silk board, you can take the elevated toll road (if you are driving anytime between 7:00 AM and 9:00 PM, to avoid the local traffic and intersections)
Continue on NH7 through a few toll booths all the way upto Krishnagiri.
Stops: There are 2 great options - a HP bunk with Krishna Inn and a Cafe Coffee Day and a BP bunk with a Adyar Ananda Bhavan
I would recommend the first stop - table service available, relatively less crowded than the Ananda Bhavan.
The first stop comes about 20 kms about Hosur and the second one about 10 kms after the HP bunk. You will see enough sign-boards for both (esp. the BP bunk)

Stretch 2: Krishnagiri to Ranipet (via Vellore) - 150 kms, 2-2.5 hours
After the Krishnagiri toll booth, you need to climb the first flyover and then take the left onto NH46 (The sign-board showing the route to Chennai is small) - so watch out - don't get onto the second flyover.
Once you take NH46, the road is fabulous all the way to Ranipet (you will also zip through Vellore town on multiple flyovers), except for the stretch through Ambur town (which can get quite crowded in peak hours). Watch and slow down whenever you drive through any towns. I am noticing increasing local traffic and accidents over the last few months.
Stops: Chola restaurants (after one of the toll booths) - signs clearly marked. Deepam Motel highway (on the right after the pallikonda toll booth - with easy access from the left side too through a proper opening on the highway).
Deepam has become our default stop as it is midway and takes us 2.5 to 3 hrs from home. Enough petrol bunks all along the way. As you enter Vellore, you will see a lot os sign boards for saravana Bhavan, but it is a pain to get into this place as you will need to drive into the town quite a bit.There is a Aryas just off the highway, but again I would stop at deepam (about 20 kms before Vellore) - easy off-easy on from the highway

Stretch 3: Ranipet to Sriperumbudur (via Kanchi) - 80 kms, 1-1.5 hrs
This stretch is again quite good, but the number of towns in-between significantly increases, thus impacting your average driving speed.
Stops: Sakthi restaurant just after Kanchipuram on the right.

Stretch 4: Sriperumbudur to Poonamallee flyover - 30 kms, 45 minutes

The stretch is a high traffic stretch and the road surface has deteriorated over the last year or so (not broken, but uneven).
Stops: cafe Coffee Day on the right (quite convenient)

Stretch 5: Ponnamallee Flyover to Chennai
Depending on where you need to go to Chennai, you will need to plan your route.
For Chennai city: Go through the Poonamallee Bypass - Don't take the Poonamallee flyover. Continue on NH4, after the first flyover, get onto the right lane (you will notice a flyover only for the opposite side). Take a right (sign-boards will direct you) and you can avoid Poonamallee town traffic.
From then on, you will get stuck a little at the Porur signal and drive you city traffic all the way upto Guindy (Kathipara)
For Tambaram and the airport: Drive further on NH4 almost upt Maduravoyal and take the Chennai Bypass toll road to Tambaram. You will see some signs for this road (ask someone for directions if required)
For Koyambedu, Vadapalani, Annanagar: Continue to NH4 all the way upto Koyambedu through Maduravoyal and ask for directions.

Last edited by JLN : 3rd October 2010 at 19:30.
Old 21st December 2010, 00:41   #325
BHPian

Bangalore - Kelambakkam via SH110 Road conditions

I got to know from HDNivara that SH110 was good except for short stretches before the recent heavy rains.

Has anyone done Bangalore - Krishnagiri NH46, NH4 Sriperumbudur (before), right fork (near petrol bunk) towards Mudichur via Manimangalam recently - like in December 2010?

How is the condition? Potholes are fine, but deep craters is scary. I will be driving in day time though.

2. Also, am planning to take a right on to SH48 till Vandalur road, via Mudichur bus stand, go left on Vandalur road till I hit NH45/GST road. Take right towards Kelambakkam.

Any suggestions and advice? Especially road conditions? Traffic conditions at 11-12noon?

Thanks in advance.

Dhuli.
Old 21st December 2010, 21:11   #326
BANNED

Re: Bangalore - Kelambakkam via SH110 Road conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
I got to know from HDNivara that SH110 was good except for short stretches before the recent heavy rains.

Has anyone done Bangalore - Krishnagiri NH46, NH4 Sriperumbudur (before), right fork (near petrol bunk) towards Mudichur via Manimangalam recently - like in December 2010?

How is the condition? Potholes are fine, but deep craters is scary. I will be driving in day time though.

2. Also, am planning to take a right on to SH48 till Vandalur road, via Mudichur bus stand, go left on Vandalur road till I hit NH45/GST road. Take right towards Kelambakkam.

Any suggestions and advice? Especially road conditions? Traffic conditions at 11-12noon?

Thanks in advance.

Dhuli.
Hi

If you want to reach kelambakkam then i would suggest you two routes.

1. Blore>Krishnagiri>Sriperumbadur >After Nokia take right(ask for tambaram road)>Mudhichur>padappai>Join GST road(after 20-25kms)>take right >Take left next to Vandalur zoo>Kelambakkam aprox 16 kms

2. Blore>Krishnagiri>Sriperumbadur >poondamalee>Maduravoyal>take right(Chennai bye pass) >25km Vandalur zoo>Take left next to vandalur zoo>Kelambakkam aprox 16 kms

In 1st route you will not enter chennai at all,in second you will enter chennai outskirts ie..bye pass.

In both routes you never touch city
Old 21st December 2010, 22:15   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi

If you want to reach kelambakkam then i would suggest you two routes.

1. Blore>Krishnagiri>Sriperumbadur >After Nokia take right(ask for tambaram road)>Mudhichur>padappai>Join GST road(after 20-25kms)>take right >Take left next to Vandalur zoo>Kelambakkam aprox 16 kms

2. Blore>Krishnagiri>Sriperumbadur >poondamalee>Maduravoyal>take right(Chennai bye pass) >25km Vandalur zoo>Take left next to vandalur zoo>Kelambakkam aprox 16 kms
Thanks Joshguy. 2 years back, I had done the route 2 you mentioned. Wanted to explore route 1, which I assume is SH110. I was thinking this route...see google map image below. (Bangalore Elevated Expressway/Bangalore Elevated Tollway Limited to Unknown road - Google Maps )

My specific query is on the road condition. Especially, after all the recent rains!

Cheers,
Dhuli
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-sh110mudichur.jpg  

Old 26th December 2010, 12:45   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Thanks Joshguy. 2 years back, I had done the route 2 you mentioned. Wanted to explore route 1, which I assume is SH110. I was thinking this route...see google map image below.

My specific query is on the road condition. Especially, after all the recent rains!

Cheers,
Dhuli
Dhuli,

Which road did you end up taking and how are the conditions? I am asking that as I am heading towards that area tomorrow am.
Old 30th December 2010, 09:49   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Dhuli,
Which road did you end up taking and how are the conditions? I am asking that as I am heading towards that area tomorrow am.
Sorry for the delay. I just got back from Mahabs yesterday evening.

While going, I took a right before Sriperumbudur from behind Nokia factory. Sign said - towards Tambaram. Bad initial stretch. Went fine till Apollo tyre factory. Took a left towards Tambaram. There was a SH48/58 ? junction road closed. Sign said - Vandalur 3Km, Tambaram via Manimangalam some 22 odd Km. Local shop said, road is doable go via a diversion OTERI EXTN. and you hit Vandalur. WARNING - avoid this road (no road actually, with deep ruts). Its meant for Offroad vehicles or trucks IMO. I have a lot of respect for my WagonR. It managed with one or two scrapes to the underside!!

Managed to hit SH45 at Vandalur, almost opposite the Zoo . Had to take a short left and right towards Kelambakkam and we were fine.

On the return, instead of the Chennai Bye pass approach, I tried Mahabalipuram > Tirukalukundaram > Chengalapatu (cross railway line), go below NH45 flyover towards Kanchipuram> NH4 towards Vellore and so on.

Overall, IMO, the best route in terms of time and road condition is perhaps via poonamallee, Chennai Byepass, Vandalur, Kelambakkam, Mahabalipuram for those heading from Bangalore and want to avoid Chennai city. Given the road conditions, I do think the SH110 via Mannimangalam, Mudichur, Tambaram (Gandhi road), GST road, Vandalur as verified by HDNivara, is pretty ok.

To try the SH110, at the sign showing Tambaram Right,at the Nokia Factory (on your right while going towards Sriperumbudur), take the right but go further along the NH4 a bit to go to the Mudichur road which is SH110. The full right alongside Nokia factory goes to Apollo factory via SH57, which is a bit roundabout. Refer picture from Google maps.

Local experts can weigh in.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-sh110.jpg  

Old 30th December 2010, 10:08   #330
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

How was Chengelpet-Kanchi SH58 on your return? That seems the best and straight in terms of avoiding Chennai. Even Poonamalle has its own issues of driving on Porur road with lots of traffic jams.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks