Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 06:03   #181
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
hi,

I traveled to Bangalore from Chennai today morning and some updates

1. There is a huge crater on the road towards Bangalore between Madhanur and Pachakuppam flyover. Be extremely careful and try to slow down a bit and prepared to swerve to avoid(if you are on the slow lane). Hope this is repaired as soon as possible.

2. Roads are being relaid in Hosur-Krishnagiri sector near Chinnar. Be careful of oncoming traffic coming in your lane.
1. This was fixed when I travelled on Sunday
2. This is slightly dangerous as the diversion signs are visible only at the last moment and the stretch being a mini-ghat, one races up a slope only to find a bus in your lane
Old 24th September 2009, 12:58   #182
BHPian

How to Get to ECR

Hello:
I need some help on getting to the ECR. I will be traveling from Bangalore to Chennai tomorrow morning. Once i get on the Bangalore - Chennai highway and get to Chennai, how do i find the way to the ECR?

Thanks
Varghese
Old 24th September 2009, 14:11   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varghesepaul View Post
Hello:
I need some help on getting to the ECR. I will be traveling from Bangalore to Chennai tomorrow morning. Once i get on the Bangalore - Chennai highway and get to Chennai, how do i find the way to the ECR?

Thanks
Varghese
At Poonamalle, check for the Porur Road - take the Porur Road and reach Kathipara Junction.

At Kathipara Junction, keep left and go towards Guindy. Cross the Guindy Bridge and take a right at the main junction towards Raj Bhawan.

Just before Raj Bhawan (it is T-junction) take left towards Sardar Patel Road - you'll cross Anna University (left), Cancer Hospital (right) - go over the Bridge - IIT (right) and go up Adyar Corner.

At Adyar Corner, take a right and from that point there are road signs that will lead you to ECR.

Last edited by Tempelhof : 24th September 2009 at 14:12.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:17   #184
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

After you cross the IIT Madras Flyover you will see the Madhya Kailash Temple on your right hand side about 300-350 metres along the same road - you could turn right there and you will see the elevated Madras Metro Train line on your left all along this road. You can go along this road to the ECR by following the signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
At Poonamalle, check for the Porur Road - take the Porur Road and reach Kathipara Junction.

At Kathipara Junction, keep left and go towards Guindy. Cross the Guindy Bridge and take a right at the main junction towards Raj Bhawan.

Just before Raj Bhawan (it is T-junction) take left towards Sardar Patel Road - you'll cross Anna University (left), Cancer Hospital (right) - go over the Bridge - IIT (right) and go up Adyar Corner.

At Adyar Corner, take a right and from that point there are road signs that will lead you to ECR.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:24   #185
Senior - BHPian

I think the better option for you is to take the Chennai Byepass all the way upto Tambaram then take a right onto NH45 go upto Vandalur Zoo. At this Jn. take a left onto Kelambakkam from where ECR is hardly a km away. If you are going to some point in ECR after Muttukadu this makes sense otherwise you could use the route suggested by shankar.balan
Old 24th September 2009, 14:43   #186
Senior - BHPian

good suggestion but for a person who is completely unfamiliar with the terrain this may be difficult to find and follow.
further problems compounded by the lack of good road signs on the Bangalore to Madras approach - especially marking the way to reach Porur.
but it might help to find out the ultimate destination - because for example if he is going to say Pondy or somewhere in between Madras and Pondy, he could cut off the main highway at Sriperumbudur and go through Kanchipuram instead, to hit the ECR near Mahabalipuram. what say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I think the better option for you is to take the Chennai Byepass all the way upto Tambaram then take a right onto NH45 go upto Vandalur Zoo. At this Jn. take a left onto Kelambakkam from where ECR is hardly a km away. If you are going to some point in ECR after Muttukadu this makes sense otherwise you could use the route suggested by shankar.balan
Old 24th September 2009, 14:44   #187
BHPian

Thanks to your speedy replies.

I am planning to go to the Taj Fisherman's Cove..is it better to use the Chennai Byepass road as suggested?

Thanks
Varghese
Old 24th September 2009, 14:50   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
for a person who is completely unfamiliar with the terrain this may be difficult
Alice: Which route should I take?

Cat: That depends on where you want to go.

Alice: I do not know where I need to go.

Cat: Then it doesn't matter which route you take.

-- With due apologies to Lewis Caroll
Old 24th September 2009, 14:54   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
good suggestion but for a person who is completely unfamiliar with the terrain this may be difficult to find and follow.
further problems compounded by the lack of good road signs on the Bangalore to Madras approach - especially marking the way to reach Porur.
but it might help to find out the ultimate destination - because for example if he is going to say Pondy or somewhere in between Madras and Pondy, he could cut off the main highway at Sriperumbudur and go through Kanchipuram instead, to hit the ECR near Mahabalipuram. what say?
Chennai Bypass is pretty well marked and cant miss it from highway. So is the joining of GST which is very well marked. Am not sure where is the left turn to hit NH45.

Going via Kanchipuram is an option as well, but believe me, it was a nightmare with no signs at all inside Kanchipuram. Once you are nearing outsides of Kanchipuram one sees good sign boards. I drove in this road last week, to Tambaram from Bangalore via Walajapet. To my horror I found the road that connects GST and Walajapet is dug up, just at the connecting point( mudichur or perungulathur I guess, from the boards I saw ) I could see the GST 50 mts from where I stood but had to take a detour through villages, and entered GST nead Perungulathur.

Nainar
Old 24th September 2009, 15:22   #190
Senior - BHPian

ha ha

good one

but where exactly are you headed to on the ECR?
because this would in a way determine whether you actually need to go into Madras city through the traffic etc or simply bypass it.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Alice: Which route should I take?

Cat: That depends on where you want to go.

Alice: I do not know where I need to go.

Cat: Then it doesn't matter which route you take.

-- With due apologies to Lewis Caroll
Old 24th September 2009, 15:37   #191
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to go to the Taj Fisherman's Cove..
You can then take the byepass.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:21   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to your speedy replies.

I am planning to go to the Taj Fisherman's Cove..is it better to use the Chennai Byepass road as suggested?

Thanks
Varghese
Once you reach Poonamallee continue onwards towards Koyambedu until you reach Maduravayol which is where this road meets the Chennai byepass. You would find some diversions and construction happening. Here you take a right, you will have signages to take a right to Tambaram. (Basically the byepass is an elevated road perpendicular to the NH4 at this Jn. though still under construction). Once you join the byepass you would have a toll booth about 2 kms later, this would also confirm you are on right track.

Keep going until you reach the end of the flyover where the left would take you to Tambaram and back into Chennai city and the right would join you to NH45. Continue on NH45 until you reach Vandalur Zoo which is on your left. Take the left that runs along the periphery of the zoo. This is basically the first major road to branch on the left. Once you onto this road keep going as the road goes until you reach Kelambakkam. From here ask anyone for ECR they would guide you.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:59   #193
BHPian

Thank You

Thanks for all your help, will report back on how the trip went.

Regards
Varghese
Old 25th September 2009, 13:04   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Going via Kanchipuram is an option as well, but believe me, it was a nightmare with no signs at all inside Kanchipuram. Once you are nearing outsides of Kanchipuram one sees good sign boards. I drove in this road last week, to Tambaram from Bangalore via Walajapet. To my horror I found the road that connects GST and Walajapet is dug up, just at the connecting point( mudichur or perungulathur I guess, from the boards I saw ) I could see the GST 50 mts from where I stood but had to take a detour through villages, and entered GST nead Perungulathur.
Nainar
I believe you meant Wallajabad. Yes the GST Road junction is dug up to lay flyover at Vandalur level crossing. Another alternate would be to take a left 2 kms before at Mannivakkam on Kanchi - Vandalur road to reach Tambaram via Mudichur-Old Perungalathur.
Old 5th October 2009, 19:46   #195
BHPian

Old Madras Road Condition

Hi,

I am planning to travel to Bangalore this Wednesday via the Old Madras Road, does anyone have any update especially due to the ongoing spell of rains & highway work??? ( especially the AP stretch )

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks