Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:57   #1621
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Just back from a 2 day Chennai trip. Left Bangalore (Basavanagudi) at 5:30 AM (plan was 5 AM) and reached Chennai (Mylapore) at around 11:50 AM. Pit stop at Arya Bhavan for breakfast somewhere in between Ambur and Vellore.
The road widening activity (6 laning) between Hosur to Krishnagiri is in progress causing innumerable devaiations (read digress) and hence slowing down the traffic. Post Krishnagiri till Sriperembudur is a bliss. I could consistently maintain a low 3 figure speed without any problem. After Sriperembudur, the road gets a bit rough and patchy. Need to slow down at places as the surface gets uneven.
Chennai traffic was dense but manageable. Traffic police was helpful. Reached our destination at around 11:50 AM.

A special thanks to Ampere for suggesting the route.

Regards,

Samish
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:07   #1622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
A special thanks to Ampere for suggesting the route.
Dont thank me Samish! Its the standard route for all of us.

But what has changed over time, is that the pit stop is no more at Shoolagiri (A2B, CCD etc). Beyond Krishnagiri/Arcot/Vellore, there are many many better places. And thankfully people have sensed that there exits business opportunity on this route even beyond Krishnagiri. I see many good hotels coming up on the way. That has eased the situation quite a bit. Especially when one leaves very early from Bangalore, (say 4AM), he is in time for a steaming hot TN styled breakfast in and around Arcot/Vellore.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:15   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But what has changed over time, is that the pit stop is no more at Shoolagiri (A2B, CCD etc). Beyond Krishnagiri/Arcot/Vellore, there are many many better places. That has eased the situation quite a bit. Especially when one leaves very early from Bangalore, (say 4AM), he is in time for a steaming hot TN styled breakfast in and around Arcot/Vellore.
You are right ampere sir. If one leaves Bangalore at 4 AM (or even 5 AM), it will not be breakfast time when we cross Shoolagiri / Krishnagiri. Quite a few joints have cropped up post Arcot / Vellore. A few worth mentioning was Hotel Sai Sangeet and Hotel Oasis. Decent places worth a try.

Regards,

Samish
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:44   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Dont thank me Samish! Its the standard route for all of us.

But what has changed over time, is that the pit stop is no more at Shoolagiri (A2B, CCD etc). Beyond Krishnagiri/Arcot/Vellore, there are many many better places. And thankfully people have sensed that there exits business opportunity on this route even beyond Krishnagiri. I see many good hotels coming up on the way. That has eased the situation quite a bit. Especially when one leaves very early from Bangalore, (say 4AM), he is in time for a steaming hot TN styled breakfast in and around Arcot/Vellore.
Please list the exact co-ordinates of a few new ones. It has been a long time for me on this route and hence would like to know a few new ones along with first-hand review/feedback.
Old 2nd June 2014, 22:34   #1625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Please list the exact co-ordinates of a few new ones. It has been a long time for me on this route and hence would like to know a few new ones along with first-hand review/feedback.
1. Hotel SaiSangeet. The location is here
We had snacks here on our return journey from Chennai. Food and ambiance was good. The location shown in google maps is on the wrong side of the road. It is actually situated on the opposite side.

2. Hotel Arya Bhavan Sweets. I am sorry, I do not have the co-ordinates. It is located somewhere in between Ambur and Vellore. It falls on the right hand side if you are travelling towards Chennai. It is actually attached to a HP petrol bunk. There is also a small CCD outlet attached.

Regards,

Samish
Old 2nd June 2014, 22:49   #1626
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where have you been? Its been a long time Ajith!

Few places that I know:

- Arya Bhavan : After Walajapet Toll. I would say this is the best as of date.
- Murugan Idly.
- Mary Brown
- Vasanatha Bhavan (along COCO HP and CCD past Penukonda toll)
- Anandas
- Couple of proper fine dining too (I think). I see a Hotel Landmark

CCDs :
- One after Penukonda toll. Then one at Kanchi bypass.

Now I also see one Sai Sangeet coming up close to Ambur, apart from the one which Samish mentioned.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2014 at 22:52.
Old 2nd June 2014, 23:06   #1627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
1. Hotel SaiSangeet. The location is here
We had snacks here on our return journey from Chennai. Food and ambiance was good. The location shown in google maps is on the wrong side of the road. It is actually situated on the opposite side.

2. Hotel Arya Bhavan Sweets. I am sorry, I do not have the co-ordinates. It is located somewhere in between Ambur and Vellore. It falls on the right hand side if you are travelling towards Chennai. It is actually attached to a HP petrol bunk. There is also a small CCD outlet attached.

Regards,

Samish
+1 to Sai Sangeet but -1 to Arya Bhavan (pretty average) . The only reason I visit is because the HP filling station is a company owned and operated outlet IIRC.

Would be great if we can get a list of better options. Frankly, I am yet to find a decent alternate for A2B.
Old 3rd June 2014, 05:04   #1628
BHPian

Quote:

Few places that I know:

- Murugan Idly.
- Mary Brown
- Vasanatha Bhavan (along COCO HP and CCD past Penukonda toll)
- Anandas

CCDs :
- One after Penukonda toll. Then one at Kanchi bypass.

Now I also see one Sai Sangeet coming up close to Ambur, apart from the one which Samish mentioned.
Yes Ampere, a long time now which is close to 2 years since I shifted to New York... or as a BHP-ian would say, it is almost 100 weekends of not doing a road trip on our favourite routes !

BTW, someone mentioned about a recently opened (not authentic) Saravana Bhavan near Krishnagiri or so. Did you deliberately miss that one?
Old 3rd June 2014, 05:36   #1629
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
-1 to Arya Bhavan (pretty average) . The only reason I visit is because the HP filling station is a company owned and operated outlet IIRC.
I think you were referring to the one after Penukonda toll gate. Because thats the one along with HP COCO bunk and CCD. And yes that is pretty average. The one which I was referring to after Walajapet toll. That I found to be pretty good.

Quote:
BTW, someone mentioned about a recently opened (not authentic) Saravana Bhavan near Krishnagiri or so. Did you deliberately miss that one?
Oops! Yes there is a Saravana Bhavan. In fact there are two. One before Krishangiri (but after Shoolagiri) and one after Krishnagiri towards Salem. This is not the Chennai chain (Hotel Saravana Bhavan, HSB for short) but the Coimbattore based chain (the one you find at Salem bus stand). I have not been here. But many have been to the one after Krishnagiri and they say its good.
Old 3rd June 2014, 07:15   #1630
J.Ravi

Coming to the topic of umpteen number of eateries on Bangalore-Chennai route, nowadays, I have become a regular at Hotel Aryaas, Vellore bypass at the junction of NH 46 and Katpadi road, LHS while driving from Bangalore to Chennai, below the flyover. This place has become a standard pit-stop during my drives and rides. Their USP: very good food at affordable prices and clean toilets. The negatives: this place is always crowded [which indicates its popularity!] as it is located near the bus stand. The car parking is on the road-side, but the road is very wide there. They have another outlet nearby on RHS at Satthuvachari service road, but there is no place to park the car as it is located at a busy area.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-dsc00925.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 3rd June 2014 at 07:18.
  (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 08:51   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Coming to the topic of umpteen number of eateries on Bangalore-Chennai route, nowadays, I have become a regular at Hotel Aryaas, Vellore bypass at the junction of NH 46 and Katpadi road, LHS while driving from Bangalore to Chennai, below the flyover. This place has become a standard pit-stop during my drives and rides. Their USP: very good food at affordable prices and clean toilets. The negatives: this place is always crowded [which indicates its popularity!] as it is located near the bus stand. The car parking is on the road-side, but the road is very wide there. They have another outlet nearby on RHS at Satthuvachari service road, but there is no place to park the car as it is located at a busy area.

Attachment 1246571
Yes, they serve good food at economical prices, esp. the Special Thali Meals for lunch. I have been to this place a few times when I used to visit CMC as well as Rathinagiri Murugan Temple. For those who don't know this good temple just outside Vellore, on the left side immediately before Palar bridge while going towards Chennai, here are 2 links that might be useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratnagiri_Murugan_Temple

You can drive upto the hilltop and it will be a good practice drive before embarking on a bigger ghat road trips, like that for Ooty, Kodai, Yercaud, Yelagiri, Valparai or to Kerala crossing Western ghats. And the view from the hilltop is very nice and the omnipresent cool breeze has some soothing effect too !

Last edited by ajithbr : 3rd June 2014 at 08:54.
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:54   #1632
BHPian

Quote:

and one after Krishnagiri towards Salem. This is not the Chennai chain (Hotel Saravana Bhavan, HSB for short) but the Coimbattore based chain (the one you find at Salem bus stand). I have not been here. But many have been to the one after Krishnagiri and they say its good.
A small correction - the coimbatore based saravana bhavan and the salem bus stand saravana bhavan are different. The salem bus stand one is called saravana bhavan classic.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:57   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
I think you were referring to the one after Penukonda toll gate. Because thats the one along with HP COCO bunk and CCD. And yes that is pretty average. The one which I was referring to after Walajapet toll. That I found to be pretty good.

Oops! Yes there is a Saravana Bhavan. In fact there are two. One before Krishangiri (but after Shoolagiri) and one after Krishnagiri towards Salem. This is not the Chennai chain (Hotel Saravana Bhavan, HSB for short) but the Coimbattore based chain (the one you find at Salem bus stand). I have not been here. But many have been to the one after Krishnagiri and they say its good.
Yes, I was referring to the one with the HP bunk. The other one you mentioned falls right after Sai sangeeth. Sai Sangeeth has a small parking area available just on the opposite side of the ( LHS, if you are driving towards chennai) and they have security guard as well. Hence I stop there usually.

The Saravan bhavan ( CBE chain) has come in multiple places on the BLR-CBE route. I have had lunch at one of their places near sangagiri IIRC, and it was pretty good. The one near krishnagiri looked a little deserted the last time I passed by and hence didn't think it was the same. I have seen that the other one after krishagiri is busy through out the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I used to stop at Aryaas during my trips couple of years back. I gave up after missing the right exit couple of times . Also this place is quite crowded as you said and even that intersection is busy always. It's not smooth getting in and out and hence I just skip it these days. On the plus side, it has a decent food (predictable atleast), clean restrooms and have a dedicated parking lot.
Old 3rd June 2014, 13:40   #1634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
A small correction - the coimbatore based saravana bhavan and the salem bus stand saravana bhavan are different. The salem bus stand one is called saravana bhavan classic.
Thanks for correction. I thought they were same! In fact thats first Saravana Bhavan that I had food and not the classic Hotel Saravana Bhavan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Yes, I was referring to the one with the HP bunk. The other one you mentioned falls right after Sai sangeeth. Sai Sangeeth has a small parking area available just on the opposite side of the ( LHS, if you are driving towards chennai) and they have security guard as well. Hence I stop there usually.
Yes I did notice that. Thats why I was a bit hesitant to park and cross over.
If I am doing an afternoon drive, I usually break at CCD on the Kanchi bypass. If breakfast its the Arya Bhavan. CCD break at Kanchi also is a logical one for me in case I want to take the Manimangalam exit at Sriperumbudur.

Quote:
The Saravan bhavan ( CBE chain) has come in multiple places on the BLR-CBE route. I have had lunch at one of their places near sangagiri IIRC, and it was pretty good. The one near krishnagiri looked a little deserted the last time I passed by and hence didn't think it was the same. I have seen that the other one after krishagiri is busy through out the day.
Yes. I remember @rameshnanda mentioning them opening even on the Salem-Ulundurpet stretch.

Quote:
I used to stop at Aryaas during my trips couple of years back. I gave up after missing the right exit couple of times . Also this place is quite crowded as you said and even that intersection is busy always.
+1. I mostly avoid places for which I need to make an exit to get there (esp. getting off the 4-lane). In that process I have skipped many a good places! (On the other sectors and not this one)

Quote:
For those who don't know this good temple just outside Vellore, on the left side immediately before Palar bridge while going towards Chennai, here are 2 links that might be useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratnagiri_Murugan_Temple
Have seen the exit but never had the time to visit. In fact even the Golden Temple is on my list of "to visit". The main reason being, one must see it in the night to see the lights.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2014 at 13:43.
Old 3rd June 2014, 21:05   #1635
BHPian

Quote:

Few places that I know:

- Murugan Idly.
- Mary Brown
- 1. Vasanatha Bhavan (along COCO HP and CCD past Penukonda toll)
- Anandas
2. Now I also see one Sai Sangeet coming up close to Ambur, apart from the one which Samish mentioned.
1. This is the one which I was referring. I think it is not Vasantha Bhavan, it is Arya Bhavan Sweets which has COCO HP and CCD attached to it. The location is here.
It is situated after the Pallikonda toll booth. If you heading towards Chennai, it falls on the RHS and you need to take an U turn and come back for half a kilometer. Ample signboards / hoardings are available.

2. This is the same Sai Sangeet I am referring too (again). The other Sai Sangeet is situated near the Walajapet Toll Gate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks