Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2004, 22:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Speed is killing....Controlling ur mind is one of the greatest things one can do at any point of time,leave aside driving.
The only safety equipment in the car is the driver,regardless of the safety features u have in the car.One dies in a Ferrari as in the M800.
Drive safe.......always wear a _.... ,if u know wot i mean.

Cya.
Old 8th October 2004, 16:38   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]so, I shifted to the extreme right lane and was horrified by what I saw. 7 guys were walking abreast in that very lane
I was once driving on Airport Road(Bangalore) around 2am. The road being almost empty, I was doing a good 70-80 kmph. Suddenly I spotted this guy sleeping on the road a few meters in front of me.
I changed to the left lane immediately and went inches past him. I honked like crazy and he just stood up and left. I drove to my flat at a speed of 20-30 - boy that was one scary incident.
Old 29th October 2004, 11:48   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Most of the cars in these pics are driven without a lane sense...
The Siena and the truck are perfect. The Santro appears to be shifting his lane to overtake the truck. The Sumo? Well...

But generally I have found that the worst of drivers really get disciplined on the expressway.

GTO
Old 29th October 2004, 16:05   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Oct. 29 2004,10:18)]
But generally I have found that the worst of drivers really get disciplined on the expressway.
Umm... lets see…

There is this piece of golden quadrilateral (between hosur and krishnagiri, promplty with all vajpayee hoardings removed…), where u have median running to the length of the road seprating the 2 sides. Now what happens is that these mini trucks and vans joining from nearby villages, instead of taking the correct direction go down the road and make u turn to reach the opposite side, have started taking the left most part of worng side. And they do this with high beam.

Last time when I was returing to bangalore, a bus in front of me jerked to left to give way to some thing coming from opposite side. Guess what was in front my car after the bus moved away?? *A fully loaded TVS 50. Mean with father, mother and kids!!!

But I must agree with u to some extent. The more closer u get to banglore, travelling from this road, the less of *civilisation u will see on road. Umm… Bangalore, I guess, was once known for its civic minded people.

And when we reacehed bangalore, I dropped off my friend in his dell office. Its on this inner ring road, which is a small stretch but a very good “2 lanes/side” road. This IBM, DELL et all are on one side of the road. And when these peoples want to reach the opposite side, they have to go down the road where medians are seperated for this purpose. But guess the zen fellow didn’t want to do that that evening. And result, A completely smasehed up zen, and I couldnt recognize what the other car was.

Old 29th October 2004, 16:21   #65
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]A fully loaded TVS 50. Mean with father, mother and kids!!!

Another fully loaded Trax on the Golden Quadrilateral Road.
Old 8th November 2004, 22:31   #66
BHPian

nh 17 maybe or mumbai-pune expressway but nun really upto it man
Old 16th November 2004, 18:12   #67
BHPian

I vote for NH 5 .... From Vijayawada to Vizag Stretch of some 500 kms .....
part of Golden Quadrilateral ,.... Lovely Road , Lovely views and yes .... Oncoming TVS, Cars , Trucks and one occasion RTC Bus in Wrong lanes ....
If we dodge around all of them then its a lovely drive , coconut trees , canals and lush greenery on either sides ....
I did 140 Kms in 90 Mins at one stretch and Best part was my Cousin , my Wife and My aunty were snoring away in the car .....
and i have been to Munnar Thekkady roads twice .... lovely scenery painful hands ( keep on honking at every bend and here must have been 500 bends in that 100+ km drive )
Old 21st November 2004, 20:17   #68

Post deleted : Posting in full CAPS and screaming is against board regulations. Do maintain the same protocol as most other members

GTO

Old 24th November 2004, 14:40   #69
BHPian

Best roads (not necessarily in order):
1. Nelamangala - Hassan
2. Ankola Hubli
3. Sakleshpur - Mangalore (the ghat section immediately after sakleshpur is sad and the road immediately before mangalore is crowded) sample of that road is below:
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Rahul.Mohandas\Desktop\Clutter\01030005.J PG[/img]
4. Ooty - Masinagudy
Old 16th December 2004, 11:15   #70
BHPian

i went on Mumbai Pune Expressway .. I was in pune for MRF India Rally with my a friend and after the Rally we decided to spend a night in Lonavala and got onto the expressway for the 40 kms and .... I love it .... I enjoyed it totally ........
Great .. I wish that all the highways in India were like that
Old 16th December 2004, 11:38   #71
Senior - BHPian

hey rahulmd

no pics of the mangalore rd .can u pls load it again.

satya

Last edited by speedsatya : 16th December 2004 at 11:43.
Old 16th December 2004, 11:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryan
i went on Mumbai Pune Expressway .. I was in pune for MRF India Rally with my a friend and after the Rally we decided to spend a night in Lonavala and got onto the expressway for the 40 kms and .... I love it .... I enjoyed it totally ........
Great .. I wish that all the highways in India were like that

hey haryan,
did u participate in the rally.
which car?
i had cum to see the rally.
Naren Kumar and karamjeet were God.and everyone's car control was unbelievable.

satya
Old 19th December 2004, 12:29   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hey haryan,
did u participate in the rally.
which car?
i had cum to see the rally.
Naren Kumar and karamjeet were God.and everyone's car control was unbelievable.

satya
No da ... i didnt participate
but couple of my friends were participating ...
Pritveen , Jiby took part and Rahul Kanthraj last year's runnerup in championship was with us ...
Taguchi was awesome along with Karamjit ... Naren was good but was not to their level
Which car did you come in and which stages did you see ???
Old 1st January 2005, 13:41   #74
BHPian

Just joined today . Straight away came to this 'collection of best threads' and this thread on roads awoke my interest immediately.

Just last week, I had a 2000 km trip (on my Matiz). From Mumbai to Manipal going via Pune, and returning via Goa.

The Expressway of course was very good. Not exactly boring, but different kind of fun going fast and cutting the total time of the long journey, etc. The Pune bypass road is also very good. Smooth surface. Post that, I was disappointed. After Pune, for around 70km, the road is quite bad (the surface has worn off and quite bumpy). After that you see that the 4-laning of the road is nearly complete. But nearly 70% of the time, you are forced to use only one side of the road -- either left or right -- both for incoming and outgoing traffic. This is really irritating as you can see that the other road also looks complete and there is also no sign of any work going on. And in-between stretches where both roads (all 4 lanes) are operational, some vehicles still travel on the wrong side of the road! I remember around 6 years back when I had travelled on this road through Satara, Karad, etc the road was beautiful with tree lined up on either sides, and joining at the top.

Once we touched the Karnataka border, the road magically transformed into a beautiful 4-laner. This stretch going through Nipani -Sankeshwar - and upto Belgaum is simply mind blowing and better than the Pune Expressway. Begaum to Hubli stretch is just ok. Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola is of couse a driver's road. What to say about that! And of course the NH17 post that is also good. The stretch from Kundapur to Mangalore is full of traffic and not fun to drive.

While returning we came via Goa. This road is also beautiful. Good surface, lovely scenery and sparse traffic. Though I feel the road is slightly narrow and has a bit too much of ghat sections. The traffic from Panjim-Mapusa and Pen to Panvel is bad though.

HK
Old 21st February 2005, 10:26   #75
BHPian

Second best road!!!

The NH 8A............only second to the expressway!!!!
Have cruised it in the Humble 800, Aged Amby and the Mighty Merc E!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks