Team-BHP - The Best Roads In India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The Best Roads In India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/2198-best-roads-india-38.html)

NH 7 is the most dangerous highway with morons coming in the opposite direction on the lane, one is driving.This though the highway is four lane. Its not at all safe by any standards. If one is not alert, he or she is sure to end up in unwanted trouble due to somebody's mistake.

The MUMBAI -Pune expressway is the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nandans2005 (Post 2180969)

The MUMBAI -Pune expressway is the best.

I would still gun for the old mumbai - pune road. Nice curves. If you have a car / bike that can handle turns its a pleasure to drive on.

cheers,
ac

Old Mumbai-Pune road has character (the expressway lacks it), great views, reasonably good quality of roads and some reaaaly nice curves ... :)

Btw, another awesome curvy road is the "36 hairpin road" from Bandipur forest exit upto Ooty ... there is a specific name to this place/ road that I forget ... but man, if you love using your steering wheel and driving in general, the road is very nice. Overall steep incline, 36 truly hair-pin bends, would be typically in 2nd gear ... with a view to distract !

Trivia - I recall a board on this road that talks about the number of folks who said goodbye to the world, trying to unsuccessfully navigate the ghats (i guess most must have been on the way down the ghats, unable to control)

I know a fair number of folks on t-bhp have done this road - Any experiences to share?

I would vote for the SH between Hyderabad and Ramagundam (SH 1, I think). Glorious tarmac, lovely curves, banked turns. A truly fun highway during the night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucifer1881 (Post 2282637)
I would vote for the SH between Hyderabad and Ramagundam (SH 1, I think). Glorious tarmac, lovely curves, banked turns. A truly fun highway during the night.

Are you talking about the direct route (Rajiv Rahadari) or the one via Warangal (NH202 + Warangal -> Ramagundam, essentially following the train)?

The former's really nice!

Regards,
spadix

The road to Kodaikanal is quite beautiful. You're literally driving through the clouds and there are amazing vistas as you go up.

But my major gripe with Indian roads, and even NHs, is that people don't follow the rules. The quality of highways and connectivity has seen a dramatic change for the good in the last decade or so, but our mentality is still the same.

Someone mentioned on this thread before but having close encounters on the highways with people driving in opposite direction. I've had some close shaves myself. When you're doing a 120+ and overtaking a slow moving vehicle from the right, you don't expect a tractor heading your way without a care in the world. On the B'lore Chennai highway, I almost ran into the back of a lorry at night since it had no tail lights, reflectors or whatsoever and to make it worse, its entire behind was covered with mud.

NH4 - Old mumbai-pune highway. It has barely a few speeding vehicles (thanks to expressway) .
I love the ambiance it creates.

Cheers

The newly laid road from Tindivanam to Pondichery is simply amazing. The drive is scenic and makes for a perfect blast.

It would be Mumbai-Pune Express way for me. At least I can drive with out the fear of vehicle coming in the wrong lane towards me.It is a bit relaxing to know that you have to take care of your own problems and not that of another moron coming against me.

Apart from all the expressways, Palm Beach Road is awesome to drive on a rainy morning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Beat (Post 2367210)
Apart from all the expressways, Palm Beach Road is awesome to drive on a rainy morning.

^^^ agreed. What with the lack of heavy vehicles, it's a fantastic drive.

During a recent trip on NH3, the stretch between Sendhwa and Mhow is an absolute joy to drive especially if one has covered the previous 90 kms from Dhule (absolute pain). It was a monotonous ride but empty tar road with nicely painted markings made it a good one.

vizag - the beach road drive, mostly devoid of traffic (except from ramakrishna beach to ymca in the evenings) right up to rushi konda and beyond to bheemli is a dream.

I love driving on Palm beach road. I stay just about 100 mtrs from the palm beach roadclap: in Seawoods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac 427 (Post 2180153)
Very few would argue that twisties get better than these.

And yes these are in India.

Enjoy.
ac

Wow ac. This could very well be the best road with twisties in India. How was the tarmac? Smooth or slightly graveled? Added to my list for sure and big thanks for sharing. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace F355 (Post 2505001)
Wow ac. This could very well be the best road with twisties in India. How was the tarmac? Smooth or slightly graveled? Added to my list for sure and big thanks for sharing. :thumbs up

no gravel at all. pure 100 % tarmac.

Sharp turns, the rubber grips well on this tarmac, no pot holes, smooth all the way.

cheers,

ac