Team-BHP - The Best Roads In India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The Best Roads In India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/2198-best-roads-india-30.html)

I think the Mumbai - Goa - NH17 is the best motoring road in India. Not so for quality of road but for the "Quality of driving pleasure" you will get on this road.

Belgaum - Kolhapur stretch of the NH4 is the best road I have driven.
Next, Mumbai - Pune Expressway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1476269)

+1 to Belgaum - Kolhapur.

I would rate the "East Coast Road" from Chennai to Pondicherry as the second best - though there are some fast curves, 2 wheelers + all and Sundry on the road, you can easily discern the change in humming of your tyres when you hit this road!

The road from Aurangabad to Ajanta is also excellent - though it is only two lane, you will enjoy the drive.

NICE road as of now is also not bad. Once you start towards Tumkur, the stretch is awesome. Best place to TD for highways.

1. Varodara - Ahemdabad
  2. Udaipur - jaipur : the complete section. beautifull winding highway.
  3. Manali - Kullu: lovely winding roads
  4. Lonavala: the road that goes up to Amby Valley, the road where you can test your cars handling capabilities.
  5. ECR. the best ever.
cheers,
ac

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1476269)

+2 for Belgaum - Kolhapur. Purrfect road. Level, good grade, fantastic visibility, extremely well-planned intersections, protection from oncoming high beams....

And then you cross Kolhapur (towards Mumbai) and it all goes horribly wrong... :Frustrati

Until you cross Pune that is!!

In my limited view, the following roads take the cake.:D

Mumbai - Pune Expressway
Lonavla - Amby Valley
Dahanu- Gholvad ( north of Mumbai)

Regards

To add to my previous posts other good roads are:
  1. Ahmedabad - Baroda NE1
  2. Kishangarh - Udaipur thru Bhilwara/ Chittorgarh NH7X
  3. Patharsahib to Leh . Pure 140KMPH country NH1D
  4. Hyderabad - Nirmal NH7
  5. Mysore - KushalNagar SH88
Nagpur - Bhopal is a decent road. Most of the stretch upto Betul is good. After that the horror story starts

I agree with Prince Pervez regarding the Belgaum - Kolhapur stretch. The NE1 is fantastic anyday as well. Udaipur - Jaipur via Chittor is another stretch one can really fall in love with. But I have voted for the GT Road, the good old lifeline of India's northern parts. I especially like the stretch starting from Ganaur towards Ambala. One factor that contributes to this vote is also my home, which is right by the wayside :)

Hi, I agree that the Manali-Leh drive is one of the best in India.
But, I would like to say that the drive from Darjeeling to Gangtok (Sikkim)via Teesta (River Teesta) is one of the most beautiful drives I have ever experienced. The scenic beauty is just amazing and so are the roads. Last month I had an opportunity to drive to Horsely Hills in Andhra Pradesh. The drive from Rishivalley to Horsely hills was also very beautiful along with the curves and bends in the hills.

Ahmedabad to Udaipur is quite fun, esp. after you hit the hills :)

I enjoy driving in the following roads:

1. Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai [Fully 4-laned:Earlier, I used to go by NH 4 via Kolar, now I use this 4-laned road]
2. Chennai-Puducherry [Pondy] ECR [sheear pleasure notwithstanding curves]
3. Bangalore-Mysore SH 17 [beats NH if road humps are pardoned]

It has to be ECR. Mum-Pune Exp.way is too boring mate. Its like point and shoot.

They dont make highways like they used to, these days almost all NH are four laned. You don't get the excitement of overtaking the vehicle before you. Most of the drivers now dont have the skill set of judging the speed of the on-coming vehicle, speed of the vehicle being overtaken and acceleration of his own vehicle all at the same time and making a art full overtake. ECR still gives you the pleasure.

Mumbai Roads are the Worst.

Mumbai - Expressway in the Ghat Section is horrid.

The Best Road used to be Amby Valley but I have not gone there recently so cannot comment on road condition. :)

I would say Raipur to Jagdalpur then to Bailadila (the hill station) in the central state of Chhattisgarh State, plus the roads around the Chichola Border in the same states are one among the best roads to drive on, the same were also rated high by Top gear and Autocar India Magazine.

ECR from Chennai to Pondichery and Lonawala to Ambiwalley are other 2 good roads.