Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2007, 13:57   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

My latest informed addition to this thread: The Hassan-Belur highway.
Old 30th June 2007, 15:49   #317
BHPian

Start a new thread on bad roads in india. All the roads will be from kerala, gods own country.
Old 30th June 2007, 17:12   #318
BHPian

For good reason. Kerala has one of the most inhospitable weather for tar-based roads with continuous rains battering them for a whole of nearly six months. Also the undulating geography of the state makes it very difficult to make wide and flat roads. Low lying roads are easy to get submerged in water and roads in higher areas subject to strong storm water flows.

I think mixing rubber with tar did bring some positive effect, even though its expensive. A better alternative would have been concrete roads, and we can still see some small stretches of them which dates back to decades in cities like Trivandrum and Trichur.
Old 30th June 2007, 19:22   #319
BHPian

It is certain that weather plays its roll. But the real culprit is not weather, but something else.The geography and chemistry all are excellent excuse for those who makes it.

I can show you few stretches of road on similar terrain unaffected by aforesaid weather and geography. It was done well thats all. See the condition of M.C. road(Connects capital with eastern districts, sabarimala pilgrims are familiar with it).

There are strecthes of roads made both by GOVT(PWD)and private company in M.C road . When you enter you can easily discriminate between them. Such huge is difference in quality. On most GOVT maintained roads you cant cruise comfortably over 60 kms/hr. It is due to severe negligence and malpractises.

You can always expect a crater/ pathole/hump in front of you while doing speeds over 100 kms/hr. So beware while driving in kerala.
Old 30th June 2007, 19:32   #320
BHPian

i loooove DND. that road is as good as those in dubai! only its too short a stretch
Old 30th June 2007, 21:42   #321
Senior - BHPian

Please define "best".
If it means good surface and ease of driving then Mumbai-Pune, Delhi-Agra, Kolkata-Burdwan will top my list (haven't driven much in South India).
If best means history and economic importance then undoubtedly GT Road. GT Road is like Ganga to north India. Raghubir Singh has a book on the road - right from Kolkata to the Pakistani border. I have a personal ambition to do this stretch (a la Route 66) before I die. But it is certainly not practical.
If best means scenic beauty - for me it is this stretch from Solan to Kufri via Chail. Like a private road with beautiful little villages and meadows and forests around. Traffic is only in the form of the odd shepherd with his flock of sheep.
Obviously I haven't done Leh/Ladakh.
Old 8th July 2007, 00:13   #322
Senior - BHPian

Recently did the NH 4 from Mumbai to Bangalore (1052 KMs).Its a part of the GQ and includes the Mumbai-Pune expressway.My favourite - not just because of the Mumbai -Pune expressway (which I don't like much) but the overall stretch, some spots have great panoramic vistas to soothe the eye, ease of driving (barring some spots, and idiotic antics of other drivers) and the conveniences on the way A-1 plazas; Reliance and other pumps, it's ability to get you into Bangalore in one day and the fact that it's an all weather road- to me it means that the road doesn't deteriorate during and after monsoons ! In all a great drive !
Old 8th July 2007, 19:56   #323
BHPian

What say abt the Chennai - Pondi - ECR

Hey Folks,

I would vote for the chennai - Pondicherry East Coast Road (ECR) . Since there are super long bits along the coastline a Convertible is a must have . Lovely patch I would say !!

Thanks
Old 8th July 2007, 21:15   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Hey Folks,

I would vote for the chennai - Pondicherry East Coast Road (ECR) . Since there are super long bits along the coastline a Convertible is a must have . Lovely patch I would say !!

Thanks
It's scenic all right, but a bit dangerous too since there are no road dividers & the state transport buses doing some stupid maneuvers.
Old 10th July 2007, 23:04   #325
Senior - BHPian

Down south its GQ - FAST ECR - Scenic.
Old 11th July 2007, 17:06   #326
VBV
BHPian

In my experience, the drive from Hasan to Chickamagalur on the newly built road for 65 kms is great. The best part is very low truck/bus traffic.
Old 18th July 2007, 11:18   #327
Senior - BHPian

NH4 Not fully done yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Recently did the NH 4 from Mumbai to Bangalore (1052 KMs).Its a part of the GQ and includes the Mumbai-Pune expressway.My favourite - not just because of the Mumbai -Pune expressway (which I don't like much) but the overall stretch, some spots have great panoramic vistas to soothe the eye, ease of driving (barring some spots, and idiotic antics of other drivers) and the conveniences on the way A-1 plazas; Reliance and other pumps, it's ability to get you into Bangalore in one day and the fact that it's an all weather road- to me it means that the road doesn't deteriorate during and after monsoons ! In all a great drive !
The stretch from Hubli to chitradurga is not complete 4 lane. at many ponts it is still 2 lane with heavy traffic. work is in progress but it is very very slow. I have been on this rd a number of times and can vouch for the slow progress. I have no idea as to the stretch between Nipani and Hubli as I take karwar rd to goa from bangalore and amboli from nipani when i come from mumbai.
Old 18th July 2007, 17:14   #328
BHPian

Don't really like the Bombay-Pune expressway....firstly, being a concrete road, it generates too much of road noise and concrete roads always have a tendency to burst your tires due to the heat generated compared to a nicely laid bitumen-tar road.
The GQuad is wonderful and so is the Delhi-Jaipur highway. Likewise for Palm Beach Road in New Bombay but its of a limited length. The Calcutta-Durgapur expressway is a dream to drive on as well.
Old 18th July 2007, 18:45   #329
BHPian

I Like the Bangalore-Mysore road, simply love the bends.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:47   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hormaz View Post
I Like the Bangalore-Mysore road, simply love the bends.
Nice that u love it, but dont cross 100kmph...I hate its banking atleast till Maddur...Also there are lots of village traffic enroute...

be careful
Abhi

Most Viewed