Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2007, 14:14   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilchakola View Post
For me i tried Bangalore - Selam (Hosur-Krishnagiri exactly) i touched 130+ KMPH im my M 800 i thing thts the best streched road i feel.....
Didnt know M800 goes that fast, anything special inside?
Old 26th April 2007, 14:33   #272
BHPian

ECR (East Coast Road), Chennai to Pondy
Old 26th April 2007, 14:42   #273
BHPian

53% people voted for the mumbai-pune expressway. No , i wasnt surprised. I had the same notion till i rode around india in 2006.

there are far better highway sections around India than the Mumbai-Pune expressway :

1) Golden quad between kishangarh and Chittor. The highway is a lil elevated, you can see for miles and miles and no matter at what time you are there, traffic is always next to zero. This is also where i lived my fast stint yet on a bike.

2) Pune-Blore highway, specially between pune and Belgaum. What awesome curves, smooth tarmac, roads curving in front of you for miles and miles!

3) Golden quad section between Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata : the whole stretch isnt 4laned yet, still there are sections, 4lanes on each side, elevated, not a single soul around. You can even land a Jet here easily!

4)Golden quad between chennai and vijaywada : Just too good. We managed 800+kms from chennai to secundrabad, via vijaywada just coz of the awesome roads from chennai to vijaywada (On the CBR, Blazes and a Comet)

The above roads are in India, yes they are. The real best roads are out there somewhere, go explore

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 26th April 2007 at 14:44.
Old 26th April 2007, 15:16   #274
Senior - BHPian

Hey BunnyPunia..!!!

Fantastic Highway pics..!!

Can u just put the NH nos with for the pics.....?
Old 26th April 2007, 18:03   #275
BHPian

b'lore chennai....the last bit after ranipet....its a tolled road....3 lane on each side with a median.....sadly couple of idiots cut across and come in the opposite direction...i.e facing you!!
Old 26th April 2007, 19:52   #276
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics BunnyPunia,

Chennai - Vizag is an awesome stretch...some of the best part of the GQ...Once the GQ gets completed in Orissa then u can do Chennai - Kolkata faster than Coromondal Express...

Abhi
Old 26th April 2007, 20:26   #277
Senior - BHPian

Blore-Chennai toll highway is really awesome. Except for crazy two wheelers and bullock carts driving on the wrong side of the road .. and on the fastest lane to boot.
Old 26th April 2007, 23:22   #278
BHPian

akroy : yep, it was a shame to see the superb highway come to an end ..into a single lane village road at the border of orissa! Otherwise, i agree, once finished, chennai to Kolkata will be a breeze
Old 27th April 2007, 00:11   #279
BANNED

Bunny, My fav is the stretch between Kalka and Simla ... nice smooth winding road -- just sucks that a lot of city people drive like *** holes -- making the road not as much fun anymore .

Cheers
Old 27th April 2007, 00:48   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Bunny, My fav is the stretch between Kalka and Simla ... nice smooth winding road -- just sucks that a lot of city people drive like *** holes -- making the road not as much fun anymore .

Cheers
yep, that stretch is great.
Also discovered that the mandi-Jogindernagar route too has some awesome curves..

A picof the kalka-shimla route:
Old 27th April 2007, 08:06   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
akroy : yep, it was a shame to see the superb highway come to an end ..into a single lane village road at the border of orissa! Otherwise, i agree, once finished, chennai to Kolkata will be a breeze
Ya, but the work has started in November last year for the stretch connecting Sunakhala to Ichchapuram...It was stopped due to some legal issues...During my drive to Kolkata, there were culverts and flyovers columns were already done, so if started in full pace, Sunakhala - Ichchapuram can be completed in 6 months...

Also in the Northern side of Orissa, entire bypass of Jaleswar is done expect at the border where the one small bridge is not done...

I just hope that they complete all these patches so that Jaleswar - Ichchapuram can be a breeze like the AP stretch...

Abhi
Old 27th April 2007, 08:12   #282
Senior - BHPian

Well, the top 5 stretches which I have driven:

1) Nellore - Ongole (entire stretch is AP excellent, I am still picking up the best from it) (GQ / NH5), Kgp - Angua (GQ / NH60)
2) Kolkata - Barddhaman - Panagarh, also known as Durgapur expressway (GQ / NH2)
3) Neelamangala - Hassan (NH48)
4) Thiruvannamalai - Pondy (NH66)
5) Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 27th April 2007 at 08:20.
Old 27th April 2007, 08:42   #283
BHPian

The two best roads I have travelled are:
Vijayawada to Chennai: The highway is a four-laned butter smooth road. When I entered the highway, I was surprised to see the smoothness of the road and my astonishment continued till I reached chennai. I have not seen a single pathole throughout this 425-km stretch. The road is so smooth that I count on my fingers how many times I travelled less than 80 kmph.

and second road is
Chennai to Pondi: Though it is a sinle lane, it is a visual treat to travel through this road. It is buttersmooth and well marked. There are enough twists and straits a riding soul would want.

I encountered these roads, during my trip to Nagapattinam in Tamilnadu from Hyderabad. I was the solodriver and enjoyed thoroughly with my WagonR. Waiting for the time to drive again on these roads.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:05   #284
BHPian

I have seen the Mumbai -Pune Expressway and I was quite impressed. I have not seen many of the other routes mentioned in the thread. The fact that two wheelers and slow moving four wheelers etc are not allowed in the Mumbai-Pune Expressway makes it a dream highway for the drivers. Are there any other roads where two wheelers etc are prohibited. There may not be too many, I am sure.
Old 28th April 2007, 02:48   #285

I personally love the Mumbai Pune Expressway as it lets you get away from the madness of the traffic in mumbai and pune. It lets you do what you do best and that is to drive safe and fast at the same time. I love the design of the road, especially since the road is well banked and it can easily allow speeds of 120-160 without batting an eyelid.

The other road that I loved was the road to Manali - to Rohtang, it provided some stunning views.

The other road I love is the road from Pune to Paud (to Mulshi). This was recently upgraded by H.C.C. for the Lavasa Lake city. That road is an absolute delight to travel in during the monsoons (not a single pothole). Its a dual-lane single carriageway road.

Are there any roads in the himalayas/ North east which are similar to the road of death in Bolivia. That would simply be stunning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks