Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 13:12   #1
BANNED

Mumbai to Varanasi route

We are planning do a road trip from Mumbai to Varanasi during end of July, 2019. Which is the best route.

I have done many road trips, Mumbai - Calicut ( more than 50 times), Mumbai- Kanyakumari, Mumbai - bangalore (20 times), Mumbai - velankanni- 5 times). Mumbai- Ahmedabad, Mumbai- Delhi.

This is first time I am venturing this side of India. Please suggest best routes and road conditions and other general safety related issue. I will be traveling with family in XUV 500

Last edited by mppaulose : 4th July 2019 at 13:17.
Old 4th July 2019, 13:22   #2
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Varanasi route

I think the best route will be Mumbai - Nasik - Jhansi - Kanpur - Varanasi. I think all four lane. Till last year Jabalpur - Varanasi road condition was really bad with multiple constructions and craters after Mirzapur.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 16:08   #3
BHPian

I had travelled the route in Jan 2019.

The roads from Mumbai to Sagar in MP are good.

However, there is road work going on in MP after that, so you can expect slower times from Sagar to Varanasi.

I maybe wrong too, cause its been around 6 months since I did the route.
mayurpalav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 16:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mppaulose View Post
We are planning do a road trip from Mumbai to Varanasi during end of July, 2019. Which is the best route.

I have done many road trips, Mumbai - Calicut ( more than 50 times), Mumbai- Kanyakumari, Mumbai - bangalore (20 times), Mumbai - velankanni- 5 times). Mumbai- Ahmedabad, Mumbai- Delhi.

This is first time I am venturing this side of India. Please suggest best routes and road conditions and other general safety related issue. I will be traveling with family in XUV 500

Do you have any particular route in mind?

I travel Pune - Panna very regularly, can suggest this route to you

Mumbai - Nasik - Indore - Bhopal - Sagar - Chhatarpur - Kanpur - Varanasi.

In this route, only Bhopal - Sagar & Chhatarpur - Kanpur are 2 laned, rest all is 4 laned. Road conditions however, are excellent all the way.

This will give you an idea of the approximate time and road conditions, we leave from Pune at 4am and usually reach Sagar very comfortably by 630pm and Panna by 11pm.
If you do not wish to push all the way upto Sagar, would suggest to plan your night halt at Bhopal or Sanchi (40kms from Bhopal) and then you can continue the next day all the way upto Varanasi.

The only 'thing' one needs to worry about are cows, there are scores of them post Bhopal and they love hogging the roads.

Stay options at Sanchi are many due to the world famous Stupa, you have a MPTDC right on the highway.
At Sagar, I would highly recommend Hotel Deepali on the Sagar - Chhatarpur road. A very good and huge hotel with a good veg restaurant.

I would hesitate in recommending the Jhansi route, because of 1. Heavy Truck Traffic and 2. It was under 4 lane construction the last time I traveled.

Cheers,
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 16:38   #5
BANNED

I have not planned any particular route. I have to reach IIT BHU Varanasi. I avoid driving in the night.
Looking for best route in terms of road condition, 4 lane roads and general safety.
Old 2nd June 2022, 21:17   #6

Re: Mumbai to Varanasi route

Hi BHP-ians,

I am also planning a road trip From Mumbai to Azamgarh/Jaunpur.
I have seen the suggestions on the forum, late between 2009-2012 route of Mumbai - Sagar - Prayagraj was a favourite.
And recently I have seen Indore - Jhansi - Kanpur route being the better one.

Routes explored:
Route 1: Mumbai - Indore/Ujjain - Jhansi - Kanpur - Azamgarh
Pros -
Can visit Ujjain, have a relative at Kanpur whom we can visit and then reach destination.
Seems the route has gotten better from what I have read till now.
Cons -
Old reviews of the route said a lot of construction was on going.

Route 2: Mumbai - Indore - Bhopal - Sagar - Prayagraj - Azamgarh
Route 3: Mumbai - Indore - Bhopal - Sagar - Katni - Rewa - Prayagraj - Azamgarh
Route 2 & 3 are both 120KM shorter and still an hour more to travel, so I assume the roads are either narrow or not good.
Route 2 is still talked about but route 3 seems the least favourite throughout the forum.

My priority is to stay away from routes which are infamous for dacoits/loot, as I will be travelling with my parents.
I have travelled to Udaipur and Delhi multiple times and I can drive 800KM a day comfortably with short breaks. I will not be driving in night, prefer to stay and start early by 3-4AM using pit stops.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai to Varanasi route-route-options.png  

Old 3rd November 2023, 21:03   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Mumbai to Varanasi route advise

Hi all

I have Creta adventure edition SX O CVT purchased in Oct 2023. Will be doing a Mumbai to Varanasi and return ride in Deewali holidays.

Can I get best options on routes available. I will be traveling with my wife and two kids. This trip is solely gor performing some rituals and only a night stay is planning at Varanasi.

Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 15:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Varanasi route advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimalvittaladas View Post
Can I get best options on routes available. I will be traveling with my wife and two kids. This trip is solely gor performing some rituals and only a night stay is planning at Varanasi.

Thanks
The first option is : Mumbai-Nagpur (via Samruddhi EWay)-Jabalpur-Rewa-Varanasi. You can plan for nightstay at either Nagpur or Jabalpur based on how much you want to cover on the first day. Nagpur-Jabalpur Bypass-Varanasi road is absolutely fine and four laned.

The other option would be : Mumbai-Nashik-Dhule-Indore-Bhopal-Jabalpur-Rewa-Varansi. I am not aware about the latest road condition on this route.

Hope you enjoy your journey.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks