Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2006, 13:12   #1
BHPian

Info needed about Lansdowne

Hi,

I am planning to drive to Lansdowne (in Garhwal) during the long week-end next month (12-16). I am planning to take the Delhi-Meerut-Bijnore-Najibabad-Kotdwar-Lansdowne route.
This will be my first foray on this particular route. Please tell me how's the road, is it safe to travel during night, in lansdowne which hotels are good, and any other info which u feel might be useful?

\N
Old 28th July 2006, 15:01   #2

Lansdowne

Hi,

Haven't been on those routes since the days of the Himalayan Rally, so I can't comment on the current status of the roads.

However, I WOULD recommend you don't travel the Meerut-Bijnore-Najibabad-Kotdwar route at night. NOT safe.

Beyond, it's a great place. Enjoy and go prepared for wetness - good tyres, wipers, etc

best wishes
Old 28th July 2006, 17:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Delhi to Meerut is pretty good, then you go through meerut city and get diverted towards Mawana. Till Mawana the road is well paved and lightly trafficked, after that the road deteriorates badly till Bijnore and onwards till Kotwali. After Kotwali till Haridwar via Najibabad is a pretty well paved and good road.

After Haridwar I ahve no knowledge since I haven't been on this route for a long while but yes I agree with Arun that it's not a night route.
Old 31st July 2006, 13:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Delhi to Meerut is pretty good, then you go through meerut city and get diverted towards Mawana. Till Mawana the road is well paved and lightly trafficked, after that the road deteriorates badly till Bijnore and onwards till Kotwali. After Kotwali till Haridwar via Najibabad is a pretty well paved and good road.

After Haridwar I ahve no knowledge since I haven't been on this route for a long while but yes I agree with Arun that it's not a night route.
hi ishaan,
are you sure that the road to lansdowne is via Haridwar? I searched on net and found that after Kotdwar, one has to take the Pauri road to reach there.
\N
Old 31st July 2006, 13:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

Buy the weekend getaways from Delhi by Outlook. Great info about hotels(phone numbers and all). Landsdowne was described as a sleepi little town to hang out during the monsoons.
But from personal expirience, enquire about roads, when we went to chamba last monsoon, we got stuck for hours due to landslides. Uttranchal doesn't have a policy of maintaining roads as well as Himachal does, partly because BRO isnt very active there. So the adventure may turn out to be a bit too much you see
Old 31st July 2006, 13:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh I'm sorry I got confused a bit. The route is from Najibabad - Kotdwar - Dugaddha - Landsdowne. My mother visited till Kotdwar recently and says that the roads are pretty good. Also if you are going to Landsdowne then you could also visit Jehrikaal which is also a very beautiful place, very scenic.
Old 31st July 2006, 14:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Buy the weekend getaways from Delhi by Outlook. Great info about hotels(phone numbers and all).
used to have that book; somebody borrowed it and never returned :-( Today eve gonna buy this book and lonely planet for northern india.

\N
Old 31st July 2006, 19:20   #8
BHPian

I was planning to go to Lansdowne a year back, but never got the chance. My 2cents avoid driving/riding at night, especially in UP. However a friend of mine went there few months back, you can check out his trip log http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59
Old 1st August 2006, 12:20   #9
BHPian

Went to Lansdowne this June, route as mentioned "Delhi-Meerut-Bijnore-Najibabad-Kotdwar-Dugadda-Lansdowne", roads are pretty good except a few stretches between "Dugadda-Lansdowne".
Recommend you to book hotel before reaching there. Only 2 worthwhile palces to stay -- 1) FairyDale Hotel and 2) GMVN TRH.
PM me if you need more info.
Old 3rd August 2006, 18:36   #10
BHPian

Hi, thanx for all the replies. I checked for accomodation but couldn't find anywhere. Now plans are changed, now thinking of driving to Shoghi in HP. Any info on that?

\N
Old 29th March 2007, 11:52   #11
BHPian

Hi,

I could not go to Lansdowne then; instead went to Ranikhet. But planning to drive to Lansdowne this week-end.

Anybody visited the area recently? Any info on road-conditions etc.?

\N
Old 29th March 2007, 11:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

ntomer, I havent been there recently but one thing I know for sure that road maintenance there is very poor. With the recent heavy rains etc., there is a possibility that roads are bad, so do your research well.
Old 10th September 2010, 12:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys am planning a trip to Lansdowne tomorrow but a friend just informed me that the roads are gonna be in a bad condition thanks to the rains and i might get stuck in bijnor or najidabad ,does anybody have any info regarding this ?
Its just a weekend trip ,have to return on Sunday so cant afford to waste time.
What to do ?
Old 10th September 2010, 13:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Guys am planning a trip to Lansdowne tomorrow but a friend just informed me that the roads are gonna be in a bad condition thanks to the rains and i might get stuck in bijnor or najidabad ,does anybody have any info regarding this ?
Its just a weekend trip ,have to return on Sunday so cant afford to waste time.
What to do ?
Hi Faithless,

I was there in Lansdowne around 22 Aug, 2010 week. The roads are good till Kotdwar. The problem starts after Kotdwar as a lot of landsliding is happening.

While I was going towards Lansdowne, I found landslides at just two places. Once during the midway from Kotdwar to Lansdowne and another before the toll of Lansdowne, where more then half the road had started sinking and sliding off.

On my return, the situation was quite bad. I found a lot of landslides on my way. The place where the road started sinking, due to rain and mud a lot of slush had created which was getting worse by movement of jeeps. At one point just before Kotdwar I crossed a landslide and a big boulder came crashing down. That was quite spine chilling.

Rest the trip was quite refreshing
Old 10th September 2010, 14:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

That sounds scary Naman.!
Hope the situation is better now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks