Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2021, 09:37   #1996
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Does doing away with the inner line permit also allow us to visit hanle?

And any update on the leh manali highway? Would it be advisable to do it in early september given all the rain havoc caused?

Last edited by manasmadaan : 12th August 2021 at 09:40.
Old 12th August 2021, 13:48   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Does doing away with the inner line permit also allow us to visit hanle?

And any update on the leh manali highway? Would it be advisable to do it in early september given all the rain havoc caused?
They have removed ILP but its changed to Environment and Wildlife fee which you still have to pay online at https://www.lahdclehpermit.in

Hanle I am still not sure. On some of the groups ruzbehxyz mentioned earlier, some have been able to visit hanle and some even been able to stay for the night but it all depends if you are allowed. Also main issue still there is not being able to go via Chushul.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 16:18   #1998
BHPian

Planning a drive from Trivandrum to Leh to explore the region at leisure in September-October 2021. Himachal Pradesh now requires Epass to transit the state. Ladakh requires negative RTPCR to enter. What about the other states, such as Haryana, Punjab, JK?

Has anyone gone through this process? Where in Manali can we get an RTPCR test done and how long does it take to get the result?
Thanks in advance for any information in this regard.
Old 20th August 2021, 16:54   #1999
BHPian

Any update on the leh manali highway? Would it be advisable to do it in early september given all the rain havoc caused?

We would be starting our return journey from Leh on 5 september. We plan to come back via manali route however are a bit skeptical considering all the rain and landslides.
What is the current situation there? And would it be better in the 1st week of september?

Last edited by manasmadaan : 20th August 2021 at 16:55. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 20th August 2021, 17:33   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We would be starting our return journey from Leh on 5 september. We plan to come back via manali route however are a bit skeptical considering all the rain and landslides.
What is the current situation there? And would it be better in the 1st week of september?
September is the best month for Ladakh. It is relatively dry. Landslides in September is rare, but you can never predict with global warming everywhere.
September is good, and even if something happens, the road is always opened immediately whereever possible. If you can't go in September, you can't go anytime else.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 18:48   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
September is the best month for Ladakh. It is relatively dry. Landslides in September is rare, but you can never predict with global warming everywhere.
September is good, and even if something happens, the road is always opened immediately whereever possible. If you can't go in September, you can't go anytime else.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Actually i was specifically asking about the leh to manali highway. We are going by srinagar route and will be starting our return journey from Leh to manali on 5 september so was asking about it.

If there are still landslides there, then we can come back by srinagar route also
Old 20th August 2021, 19:21   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually i was specifically asking about the leh to manali highway. We are going by srinagar route and will be starting our return journey from Leh to manali on 5 september so was asking about it.
Leh-Manali highway is good except at passes and September is the best month as I mentioned before. Weather predictions from now for September 5 cannot be achieved so soon. And Ladakh is no fun if you don't get rough roads.

Quote:
If there are still landslides there, then we can come back by srinagar route also
You have answered the question yourself.

All the best !
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:26   #2003
KPR
BANNED

We are 4 of us planning to drive to Leh from Sept 4th onwards from Chennai to Leh and back in our cars. As of now, there is no RTPCR negative report requirement to enter Srinagar. Double vaccination is accepted which all 4 of us have taken. However post Zozilla somewhere at Meenmarg RTPCR negative report should be shown for further travel into Ladakh. In that case I need help from members on the following clarifications:

1. How long does it take to get RTPCR test results in Delhi or Jammu?
2. Since we are driving from TN any test lab recommended between Delhi and Jammu where we can plan our night stay as well.
3. I think RTPCR test result can be viewed as PDF online. Is it necessary to show a print out of the same at Ladakh entry?
Old 25th August 2021, 20:12   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
Traveling in this region, you should always expect the unexpected.
Glad to say that our trip went well as planned -

Climate in most of places around Leh town and Nubra valley was moderate like typical north Indian winter.

Khardungla Top - Overall it was too cold for us and there was a tiny amount of snow fall coupled with cloudy skies and chilled breeze but not harsh as in Pangong Tso.

Pangong Tso - Climate was harsh, it rained for few hours in the noon and we had to endure unbearable cold through out the night (despite multiple layers of warm cloths). Fortunately it was sunny next morning.

Pangong Tso to Leh via Changla pass - The road connecting Pangong Tso to Changla pass was too bad. Few of us had lower oxygen levels when we were at the Changla pass top point.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th August 2021 at 20:19. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please don't quote large posts entirely.
sat123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 23:29   #2005
BHPian

Seems we should be prepared for almost 0 deg weather at night given we will be there end of September. Also at end we are visiting Chandratal probably on 30th Sep and luckily its right before camps close in 1st week of Oct, unless its snowing at that time. Excited for my trip.
Old 26th August 2021, 11:49   #2006
BHPian

Hello Friends

I am flying to Leh in the mid of September, for a 8 day trip and below is my draft plan.
Please suggest good accommodations at Leh, Nubra valley and Pangong Tso.
Also - tips on booking taxi would help aswell. I want to specifically know if i can reach there and pick a taxi at lower tariff or its better to book in advance through tour-operators.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-plan.jpg

Regards
Pramod
pramod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 22:56   #2007
Senior - BHPian

31st August 2021.

Ladakh MP Jamyang Tsering Namgyal inaugurated a strategically important road built by the Indian Army connecting Zingral to Tangtse via Kela. The road has been built by the Indian Army and is set to play a great role in the development of the area.

On the inauguration, the Indian Army said in a statement, "The strategically important road will reduce 41KM travel from Leh (Zingral to Tangtse) to reach Pangong Lake crossing Kela Pass of 18600 feet height connecting Lchagri Gyamtso Lake and Tharuk Village."

Read full story here: https://www.republicworld.com/india-...o-pangong.html
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 22:32   #2008
BHPian

My trip is ready to start after 8 days. Have been waiting since Feb last year. Have made little changes to original plan and instead of going to Chandratal will visit Hanle which i had removed because of closure of Chushul route. Will take the newly inaugurated route mentioned above and travel via Kela Pass (highest motorable road open for public, Umling La sadly not open for public). Now going directly from Srinagar to Leh and staying 2 nights at Tso Moriri as i hope to capture the Galactic Core with Tso Moriri one evening. Not possible with Pangong as GC appears in south direction. Also visiting Amritsar before moving to Srinagar.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img20210908wa0032.jpg
Old 8th September 2021, 23:24   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Now going directly from Srinagar to Leh and staying 2 nights at Tso Moriri as i hope to capture the Galactic Core with Tso Moriri one evening. Not possible with Pangong as GC appears in south direction. Also visiting Amritsar before moving to Srinagar.
Tso moriri / Karzok village is roughly at 15,000 feet and sleeping at such altitude for two nights may not be a very good idea. Make sure you are well acclimatized and well hydrated.

Hanle has one of the most clear skies in entire Ladakh for star gazing.
Old 8th September 2021, 23:25   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Now going directly from Srinagar to Leh and staying 2 nights at Tso Moriri as i hope to capture the Galactic Core with Tso Moriri one evening. Not possible with Pangong as GC appears in south direction. Also visiting Amritsar before moving to Srinagar.
Tso moriri / Karzok village is roughly at 15,000 feet above m.s.l. and sleeping at such altitude for two nights may not be a very good idea. Make sure you are well acclimatized and well hydrated. Since Karzok is towards the end of your trip, it should not be of much issue, but you have to be careful about yourself and your travel companions.

Hanle has one of the most clear skies in entire Ladakh for star gazing.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks