Team-BHP - Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/132600-kolkata-puri-travelling-options-detours-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimatechamp (Post 3046748)

I have taken my Estilo all the times before, but this time around I am taking my newly acquired Ertiga ZDi. So hope you can understand my predicament.

Dont worry you'll be better with the Ertiga. Ertiga has the ability to shrink in size!

Quote:

IIRC, there is a road turning to the left from the NH 6 stating 'KGP' and it turns above our head and we go below that and continue onto NH6,isn't it ? How many kilometers from here would be your point B ?

Point B will be 63 kms from the point you mention above.

Quote:

Hope I can equate that with my Estilo (roughly speaking so far as dimensions and so-called 'sedate-ness' are concerned !)

Figo is wider.

Quote:

OT Anirban da : Where does NH6 ends ? Is it at the KGP bypasss which ultimately goes to Mumbai etc, and where does NH 60 ends and it becomes and continues upto as NH 5 and till where ?

NH6 ends at Mumbai. While going to Puri, one leaves NH6 at the point mentioned above (KGP byepass). NH60 ends at Balasore, merges with NH5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkesh (Post 3046765)

They have diverted a road for konark before entering pipli so its better now. So vehicles going to konark from bhubaneswar need not enter pipli.

So do you take this diversion to go to Puri?
Or going to Puri still needs Pipli to be crossed.
Or are you suggesting that one takes Kolkata-Bhubaneshwar-Pipli-Konark-Puri route- its a complete zig-zag though, coming from Kolkata.

Quote:

I would recommend you to go via bhubaneswar only.

Why?

One of the posts in this thread talks about bypassing Bhubaneshwar altogether. Infact, its not only the Bhubaneshwar town center, but coming from Kolkata the melee starts at Cuttack. As one starts to get near Bhubaneshwar, one has to encounter motorbikes driving, occupying 75% of each flank of the roads, at bullock cart speeds. Driving through Bhubaneshwar after having driven all the way from Kolkata is a definite irritant.

Probably many folks who have driven from East of Bhubaneshwar (especially from Kolkata) will agree with me here.

Quote:

SH 60 is ok but its not safe at night and

What's the threat?

Besides for folks driving from Kolkata, most of them will reach this stretch in broad daylight around or after noon.

Quote:

you have to travel around 40 kms extra that too in two lane road.

About 30 extra. Remember we are branching out of NH5 around 10 kms ahead of Bhubaneshwar. Those 10 kms during mid-day at Bhubaneshwar almost equates to double that in terms of stress. In the end, you drive by the ocean (refer post no 2)

Quote:

Moreover it has a lot of village traffic viz carts,tractors, villagers, animals, cyclists, with limited road sense.

Last time, I have driven on this route on both legs to and pro at different times of the day.

While going towards Puri, it was past noon and probably village traffic and animals were busy taking their afternoon siesta because I found it to be absolutely free. While coming back the same village traffic might not have even woken up, as it was just past 9am and was also free.

Quote:

You can also avoid the rasulgarh roundabout (flyover construction site)at bhubaneswar if you take a left turn 1km before it at palasuni. You can avoid a lot of traffic and reach near the court area(kalpana square).

After driving 500 odd kms from early in the morning and then fighting for space with the bikers and local traffic at Bhubaneshwar for the last 15 kms or so, do you think its really pleasant to ask around for Palasuni, Rasulgarh etc and then Kalpana Square. As I said earlier, we want to avoid Bhubaneshwar-Pipli altogether and want to Reach Puri relatively hassle-free.

I can understand, that for folks from Bhubaneshwar the routes that bypass Bhubaneshwar makes little sense, but for people coming from east of Bhubaneshwar, the city happens to be a little irritating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sommos (Post 3046893)
If you are coming from Kolkata taking the left side road (not crossing over to the wrong side), there is a narrow road that goes down and crosses NH60 through an underbridge to enter into Jaleshwar town. I hope 1100D is also talking about the same point.

No the entry point I was speaking about is level with the NH60 (neither over nor underpass). So please help pinpoint it on a map.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3047459)

Why?
Probably many folks who have driven from East of Bhubaneshwar (especially from Kolkata) will agree with me here.

What's the threat?

Besides for folks driving from Kolkata, most of them will reach this stretch in broad daylight around or after noon.

About 30 extra. Remember we are branching out of NH5 around 10 kms ahead of Bhubaneshwar. Those 10 kms during mid-day at Bhubaneshwar almost equates to double that in terms of stress. In the end, you drive by the ocean (refer post no 2)

Last time, I have driven on this route on both legs to and pro at different times of the day.

While going towards Puri, it was past noon and probably village traffic and animals were busy taking their afternoon siesta because I found it to be absolutely free. While coming back the same village traffic might not have even woken up, as it was just past 9am and was also free.

After driving 500 odd kms from early in the morning and then fighting for space with the bikers and local traffic at Bhubaneshwar for the last 15 kms or so, do you think its really pleasant to ask around for Palasuni, Rasulgarh etc and then Kalpana Square. As I said earlier, we want to avoid Bhubaneshwar-Pipli altogether and want to Reach Puri relatively hassle-free.

I can understand, that for folks from Bhubaneshwar the routes that bypass Bhubaneshwar makes little sense, but for people coming from east of Bhubaneshwar, the city happens to be a little irritating.

You will have to cross pipli and go to puri. What i was telling was the place that gets jammed in pipli is the konark junction which is not the case now.

Being a local i know its a unsafe road after sunset and i was just suggesting for safety. I work at NIRTAR hospital which is in that route.
And i didnt know that all vehicles coming from WB cross this part around noon only.
Its just an advise and it is upto you whether or not to take it. You were probably lucky both times that you could drive without hassles on that road. It is quite frequently blocked for anti posco demonstrations. And iron ore is transported by trucks through that route to astaranga port.
By the way i felt people from kolkata are pro drivers in heavy traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkesh (Post 3047707)
By the way i felt people from kolkata are pro drivers in heavy traffic.

Yes they are! Infact my office commute consists of a substantial crawl. Not something I would like to be part of on a leisurely long drive.

Besides traffic at Bhubaneshwar is not heavy by any means, its just plain chaotic. Mostly its the bikers who think that the road belongs to them and for cars (and other 4+wheelers), the poor things have to keep to the extreme right only. If one bloke ahead of you is going super slow, you would meet a biker beside him preventing the overtake. You could probably honk their brains out, but they dont budge, Atleast the situation is much better at Kolkata, where despite older narrower roads you can actually weave your way ahead. But then, we now have the added traffic lights playing equaliser. Coming back to topic.

Question is, why would go through Bhubaneshwar, if I really dont have to!!

I have had a smooth flow both sides, without hitting that town. The person who suggested me the route also experienced the same. One or two more people talk about this in a positive note, then its proven by method of induction!

Anyway jokes apart, can you please mark Palasuni, Rasulgarh Kalpana square on the google map and share. Probably a distance from a fixed point on the Balasore-BBSR stretch of the NH5 would be very helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3047736)

Besides traffic at Bhubaneshwar is not heavy by any means, its just plain chaotic. You could probably honk their brains out, but they dont budge..

I have had a smooth flow both sides, without hitting that town....

Anyway jokes apart, can you please mark Palasuni, Rasulgarh Kalpana square on the google map and share. Probably a distance from a fixed point on the Balasore-BBSR stretch of the NH5 would be very helpful.

Even i feel the same for the biker morons. Problem is due to lack of public transport there are a lot of 2 wheelers.

Before going through SH 60 just keep in track about the anti posco thing and remember that bikers in that route are bigger morons with limited IQ. And never venture at night.
Tomorrow i ll mark palasuni, etc. I ll give you km wise details.

Quote:

Dont worry you'll be better with the Ertiga. Ertiga has the ability to shrink in size!

One amongst the many positives of Ertiga, I guess ! clap:

Quote:

Point B will be 63 kms from the point you mention above.
Figo is wider.
NH6 ends at Mumbai. While going to Puri, one leaves NH6 at the point mentioned above (KGP byepass). NH60 ends at Balasore, merges with NH5.

All the points above noted.I upsized from 185mm to 195mm,so I will have to be careful about that 63 Kms as you said earlier,I think.

Quote:

Or are you suggesting that one takes Kolkata-Bhubaneshwar-Pipli-Konark-Puri route- its a complete zig-zag though, coming from Kolkata.

Actually the Puri-BBSR road is AFAIK NH203 and the Konark route via Pipli is 203A which goes further to a place called Satapada (near Chilka).That road is a sharp left turn from Pipli bazar area (where 1100D rightly said that two buses stop and start chatting,blocking the narrow road).So isn't Pipli crossed even before this diversion ?

Quote:

One of the posts in this thread talks about bypassing Bhubaneshwar altogether. Infact, its not only the Bhubaneshwar town center, but coming from Kolkata the melee starts at Cuttack. As one starts to get near Bhubaneshwar, one has to encounter motorbikes driving, occupying 75% of each flank of the roads, at bullock cart speeds. Driving through Bhubaneshwar after having driven all the way from Kolkata is a definite irritant.

I couldn't have said it in a better way!
There is a fly-over, which takes you right into the heart of Cuttack city,which has possibly been never ever repaired,the surface of the fly-over is extremely undulating and full of pesky two-wheeler at almost all times of the day. From there right upto BBSR the road (read NH or GQ) is absolutely chaotic and full of sacred ox,two-wheelers,three wheelers and local automobiles,and what not !?
Entire GQ has been made bypassing almost all big towns/cities,except probably Cuttack and Bhubaneshwar !! Those two have the GQ going right through them and that creates trouble for people like us who have been driving since 6am and over 500 Kms and still get jittery to finish off the last 60 odd Kms.

Quote:

True.Like I said there has to be a way where either the mayhem on the road has to be regulated or a proper bypass has to be made connecting GQ before Cuttack,going right upto Puri.

Btw,is this the route from Pipli we are discussing here ? Arkesh ?

Furthermore,we have some bad news for the coming days as evident from this map of Odisha where the roads depicted in RED ( already part of 4-lane GQ )will be 6-laned and the roads in PINK will be 4-laned under the National Highways Development Project !!
BBSR - Puri (59 Kms approved length) will be part of Phase III of the NHDP and 6-laning of 61 Kms of Chandikhol-Jagatpur-BBSR and also 6-laning of 138.1 Kms of Balasore-Chandikhol will be part of Phase V of NHDP.

So beware potential Puri tourists for coming months !! :Frustrati
GQ will go back to its 2003-2004 days and we will need bypasses for those stretch as well .

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimatechamp (Post 3048544)

All the points above noted.I upsized from 185mm to 195mm,so I will have to be careful about that 63 Kms as you said earlier,I think.

So what tyre profile did you upgrade to. The stock tyre being 185/65R15. Assuming that you upgraded to 195/60R15, you would have a 1% under-read. So when the odo will show 63kms,you will still be 630 meters from reaching the point. Likewise for all other milestones.

Quote:

Furthermore,we have some bad news for the coming days ............ 6-laning of 61 Kms of Chandikhol-Jagatpur-BBSR

So beware potential Puri tourists for coming months !! :Frustrati
GQ will go back to its 2003-2004 days and we will need bypasses for those stretch as well .

Work has already started (also between Howrah and Kgp in stretches) but the going is still smooth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3048658)
So what tyre profile did you upgrade to. The stock tyre being 185/65R15. Assuming that you upgraded to 195/60R15, you would have a 1% under-read. So when the odo will show 63kms,you will still be 630 meters from reaching the point. Likewise for all other milestones.

Thanks Anirban da for the exact calculation.
But I hope to stick with GQ this time too,but am also keeping my options open.
I upgraded from 185/65 R15 MRF ZVTV to Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3048658)
Work has already started (also between Howrah and Kgp in stretches) but the going is still smooth.

There is some work going on right before the Dhulagor crossing,in the middle of the highway,with diversions. Heard from local source that they are allegedly building a fly-over ! Whoever has heard of fly-overs on a highway,slowing down everybody ?!! :eek: :Frustrati

Quote:

No the entry point I was speaking about is level with the NH60 (neither over nor underpass). So please help pinpoint it on a map.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimatechamp (Post 3047048)
Where exactly do one take the left turn ? Distance / location on a map would be helpful .

Sorry guys for the delay in replying. I have uploaded the picture of the entry point to Jaleshwar or the underbridge that I was talking about.

I cannot post pictures between the text, so guys please bear with me to that extent.

The first picture shows the point, branching off from NH60, going below the NH through an underbridge and joining the road that goes through Jaleshwar town. The portion from the underbridge to the Jaleshwar town road is concrete.

The second picture shows the relative position of the point 1100D was talking about (shown as "A" in the map) and the entry point that I was talking about (shown as "B" in the map). If in a hurry anyone misses the point Anirban was talking about, then he/she can always take point B to enter Jaleshwar.

Hope this would clarify my point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sommos (Post 3048745)
Sorry guys for the delay in replying. I have uploaded the picture of the entry point to Jaleshwar or the underbridge that I was talking about.

I cannot post pictures between the text, so guys please bear with me to that extent.

The first picture shows the point, branching off from NH60, going below the NH through an underbridge and joining the road that goes through Jaleshwar town. The portion from the underbridge to the Jaleshwar town road is concrete.

The second picture shows the relative position of the point 1100D was talking about (shown as "A" in the map) and the entry point that I was talking about (shown as "B" in the map). If in a hurry anyone misses the point Anirban was talking about, then he/she can always take point B to enter Jaleshwar.

Hope this would clarify my point.

The Distance between A and B in your last pic is approximately 2.3 kms.

Now this is fantastic information. Would have "thanked" you multiple times if I could.

This is definitely a better entry point for Jaleshwar. Because refer below. Travelling on the route that I took, till the point your route is merging with it, is around 2.4 kms.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-pic-7.jpg

I mentioned that the first 2 kms or so on my route was bad. Your suggestion actually bypasses that bad patch. Had I taken your route the slower car would not have been ahead of mine!

Only problem could be, you could be behind the line of trucks before reaching the exit ramps. In which case, you can always drive back to the entrypoint shown in the first post.

Anyway to place a picture within your post, click at the location within the text, you want your pic to appear, click on the "paperclip" icon above the text box, select the pic you want to post. That pic will appear at the location within the text where you had clicked first. Hope this helps.

Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours-pic-8.jpg

I may drive down to Kolkata somewhere down the line (may be in a couple of months). I guess this thread should be helpful. I hope I manage to locate the Jaleshwar town entry! By the way, how do you cross over to the other side when encountered with that truck jam? If I remember correctly in between the two sides/shoulders of the highway there is a pit kind of thing which remains somewhat water logged also at times.

Quote:

True.Like I said there has to be a way where either the mayhem on the road has to be regulated or a proper bypass has to be made connecting GQ before Cuttack,going right upto Puri.

Btw,is this the route from Pipli we are discussing here ? Arkesh ?

They are constructing a bypass(6lane) to puri before entering bhubaneswar. It will be ready before 2015 for nabakalebara festival at puri that comes once in12 years.

What you have marked is the old puri konark bhubaneswar triangle. Now the diversion towards konark lies before entering pipli.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 3048981)
I may drive down to Kolkata somewhere down the line (may be in a couple of months). I guess this thread should be helpful. I hope I manage to locate the Jaleshwar town entry! By the way, how do you cross over to the other side when encountered with that truck jam? If I remember correctly in between the two sides/shoulders of the highway there is a pit kind of thing which remains somewhat water logged also at times.

The entry, coming from Balasore side has to be landmarked, but I guess I remember seeing a direction board pointing towards Jaleshwar town.

The crossovers (on the WB side) is through the cut outs between the flanks only. But on the Orrissa side, the median is soft median and can be crossed over at points. However coming from Balasore there wont be need for switching on to the other side, cos the Jam usually is mostly on the WB side (as the trucks try to enter OR).

First time when I drove to Orissa, I had read this post in some other forum and followed it, as I did not employ a GPS device. It helped me much. But on my last two visits I have not taken any detour from the highway and simply crossed the border check-post to Orissa by taking the opposite lane.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul4640 (Post 3049216)
First time when I drove to Orissa, I had read this post in some other forum and followed it, as I did not employ a GPS device. It helped me much. But on my last two visits I have not taken any detour from the highway and simply crossed the border check-post to Orissa by taking the opposite lane.

This entry point is the same as what Sommos had mentioned.

The re-entry onto NH60 as suggested is through the SH57 (Egra solpatta road), will not give you substantial benefit, as the straight road ahead is relatively congestion free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3049553)
The re-entry onto NH60 as suggested is through the SH57 (Egra solpatta road), will not give you substantial benefit, as the straight road ahead is relatively congestion free.

Yes, I had taken that road as well, although only when on my return journey. I feel that the benefit of taking the straight road is that it lets you avoid two huge speed breakers, on either side of the railway level crossing.