Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2024, 10:27   #1351
BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
However, the recent highlight of this route is the newly 4-laned Krishnanagar - Ranaghat - Barajaguli (Kalyani) section. It's now the fastest section of Kolkata Siliguri route with official speed limit being 100 kmph. Besides, it is the first section of this route in which speed cameras are being installed at multiple locations!

On 12th April, while returning from Malda, we crossed Kaliachak at 5:45 am and reached Mother's Hut, Krishnanagar at 8:45 am (had a 10 min loo break in between). After having breakfast we resumed our journey at 9:30 am and exited NH-12 at Kalyani More at 10:18 am. Ranaghat mess is now a thing of the past . This was my fastest ever drive from Malda where we covered ~260 km in a bit less than 4 hours of drive!.
This is superb progress in the last 3-4 months, been closely tracking all the updates.
Will the pending work for small 2L stretches between Krishnanagar and Berhampore start this year atleast?
Also any idea what's the status at Fulbari, the 5-6km from the Mahananda barrage is still 2L without any sign of road work.
adetour is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 13:48   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adetour View Post
Will the pending work for small 2L stretches between Krishnanagar and Berhampore start this year atleast?
Thankfully yes! NHAI has now awarded the balance work to a new contractor last month. I guess, the actual work won't start until the end of general election. On a positive side of this long delay, both towns (Beldanga and Debagram) will now get a new over bridge each as per the revised DPR (old DPR did not have any!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adetour View Post
Also any idea what's the status at Fulbari, the 5-6km from the Mahananda barrage is still 2L without any sign of road work.
This 5.5 km long stretch was also de-scoped (from L&T's work order) earlier due to the land valuation dispute between NHAI and the land owners (similar to incomplete stretches between Berhampore and Krishnanagar). Calcutta HC last year passed a judgement on a PIL, covering Barasat (Kolkata) to Barobisha (Assam border) asking NHAI to pay these land owners as per the new LA act (significantly higher compensation) rather than the old act (pre-2013). This has already resolved all pending land logjams for Kolkata - Siliguri route, including Barasat - Barajaguli section of NH-12 (NHAI has already awarded this work last month). So I am hopeful for a resolution soon even for the Fulbari stretch of NH-27.
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 02:12   #1353
Distinguished - BHPian

So Raigunj bypass is now open with both side traffic using the Siliguri bound railway over bridge which is complete. The Kolkata bound flank is also getting ready soon enough with some pending work going on well. The last remaining bypass work is now on the way to completion.

The Siliguri flank of the overbridge which is operational:
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_4447.jpeg

This is from the opposite side where the Kolkata flank can be seen where work is still going on the overbridge.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_4555.jpeg

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 9th May 2024 at 02:37.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 08:47   #1354

Hello fellow BHPians, what is the current condition of NH12 now? I would be traveling with family from Kolkata to Siliguri around September 20th, 2024. Are there any deterioration due to rains? What is expected time to cover the distance with sedate driving? Any good suggestion of eateries for both onward and return journeys? What is suggested time to start from Kolkata? I would be taking my XUV7OO AWD to Kalimpong, any tips for that drive will also be helpful, as it would be my first drive in Himalayas (although have driven on hills earlier).
Old 29th August 2024, 00:27   #1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by princegaurav View Post
Are there any deterioration due to rains? What is expected time to cover the distance with sedate driving? Any good suggestion of eateries for both onward and return journeys? What is suggested time to start from Kolkata? I would be taking my XUV7OO AWD to Kalimpong, any tips for that drive will also be helpful, as it would be my first drive in Himalayas (although have driven on hills earlier).
Though some parts of the NH12 are newly built and should have a smooth road surface, the older parts especially from Dalkhola to Islampur stretch and Morgram to Farakka stretch have always been 'Pothole Prone' , so be cautious.

To start from Kolkata, night driving has lesser obstacles but, poor visual acuity. Though, currently night time hill driving is not at all recommended as the main road to Kalimpong NH10 has been damaged at many places and recently opened after more than a month closure and landslide is a common problem in these hills.

There are many good dining options en route from Mothers Hut at Krishnanagar, Punjabi Dhaba at Palsanda, Pardesi Dhaba after Malda or Banphool Dhaba at Gajol. For tea break/Snacks at Burman hotel at Gajol Truck line bay or Chauhan Sweets at Panjipara are good.

As a weekly commuter from Siliguri to Kalimpong, I can only say just enjoy the roads through the banks of the Teesta, though some parts of the beautiful road has gone now. After the Chitrey the uphill starts and as there are some undulations of the road don't race your engine too much . Chitrey to Kalimpong is only 15 kms and though some points are very narrow and bendy, overall road condition is good and easily doable with some hill driving experience.

Enjoy your trip and please share your experience afterwards. Happy miles!

Regards
Rakesh
DrRC83 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks