Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2021, 18:53   #1171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post

I am wondering, how was the road surface of the stretch, Gurap- Boinchi- Kalna? Also I am bit curious: was there any specific thought for not taking Dankuni - Mogra - Kalna stretch?

Frankly, It is amusing to see that even now Kolkata - Siliguri route continues to be dependent on "time of the day", "time of the year". Nevertheless, the end-games of uncertainties along this route are in sight!
The road surface through Gurap- Boinchi- Kalna is good with little or no disturbances at all although my choosing of this route is because of a place called Hindustan Dhaba

Also, during the night, the entry point to GT road before Dankuni is jam packed with trucks and makes the route somewhat cumbersome. From Boinchi to Kalna consists of fantastic road surface and also is devoid of commercial trucks since those are prohibited due to a small load bearing bridge.

You are right about the Mogra- Kalna part though and should be used during the day if no other distraction like Hindusthan is there. I stop rarely on the highways and NH 34 anyways have few eateries worth of its salt. Moregram BP Dhaba is a mess right now and should be avoided as plague. Only saving grace is Ghoshpukur BP Dhaba just before Siliguri.

Also, this dilemma of traveling through the day or night will remain even if Dalkhola ROB is complete. The thing is, Bahrampur bypass needs to be complete for a smooth transition and so does the unfinished portions of Beldanga and Barasat. But yes, as things stand now, Dalkhola bypass completion will be a major headache gone for sure.

One thing which pisses me off is the undulations along the road with surface tar scraped off at places on majority of sections through out from Moregram to Gazole. Tolls have been increased substantially now and it’s about time that these things are taken care off by NHAI. One more grievance is the putting of guardrails along the highways at almost every intersection and which is a major risk when cars are moving at speeds in excess of 80kmph. Rest is good as we have left the Kaliachak and Sujapur Jams far behind and the dreaded days of Farakka and Malda are gone as well. I hope with the completion of Raigunj and Dalkhola bypass, the days of taking Dhantola route should be history as well although I have started to like the route because of the twists and turns

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 28th August 2021 at 18:55.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 22:38   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Was watching Doordarshan Bangla news channel a little while ago. There was a news snippet about the ongoing work on the widening of NH-34.
A politician was being interviewed, a lady, who happens to be the local MLA. She was saying that several important permissions and something called a "power block" will be received by the National Highway authorites this weekend from the Railways.
Apparently these permissions will help speed up the balance work on the Dalkhola Bypass, particularly the flyover over the rail tracks. Lady politician even went on to say that it would take another 45-50 days, weather and monsoon rains permitting, for at least one flank of the Dalkhola Bypass to be thrown open to the public. She stated quite firmly that by October end one flank would be ready and by November end both lanes would be commissioned.

I have crossed all my fingers and toes. Hoping against hope.
arjab is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 23:23   #1173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Was watching Doordarshan Bangla news channel a little while ago. There was a news snippet about the ongoing work on the widening of NH-34.
A politician was being interviewed, a lady, who happens to be the local MLA.
Saw the snippet too, the lady in question is the local MP and present minister of state in the central government. Let’s hope what she is saying is achieved but going by what I saw last week, October is an ambitious target. But then, strange things have happened and one never knows.

Should it happen before the pujas, that would be a wonderful gift to road users for sure.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 07:58   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
She stated quite firmly that by October end one flank would be ready and by November end both lanes would be commissioned. ... I have crossed all my fingers and toes. Hoping against hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
the lady in question is the local MP and present minister of state in the central government. Let’s hope what she is saying is achieved but going by what I saw last week, October is an ambitious target.
During the same visit, Mr. Omnath Bihari, deputy project manager, Malda division of NHAI (this division is the supervising authority for 255 km of NH-12, between Baharampur and Dalkhola) gave an official update to the media.

He said, "there are total 4 spans of the Dalkhola ROB of which 2 are obligatory spans (right above the railway tracks) and 2 are non-obligatory. Yesterday (i.e. Aug 29, 2021), we have completed the concrete casting of 1 non-obligatory span. The shuttering and reinforcement work of the corresponding obligatory span have been completed but we are waiting for Railways to give us the power and traffic blocks for concrete casting. Without these blocks from the Railways, it's not possible to do the concrete casting. We are in touch with them at different levels. Let's see.

Once the concrete is cast for the obligatory span, it will take another 45 days for concrete curing, top-layer bituminous work and necessary diversion roads at the ends, to open one-side of the Dalkhola bypass for the traffic. "

As usual, the babus at Railways taking their sweet times to move the files! So if the power blockage (of the electrified railway tracks) is obtained within a week from now, then end-of-October opening of one-side of the bypass is certainly possible. In that case, if not Pujo, then I guess, we can have a double happy Diwali.

Let's hope, good sense prevails sooner than later. We have waited too long for this ROB!

Quote:
my choosing of this route is because of a place called Hindustan Dhaba
Got it totally . Inspired by your comment, we drove to this Dhaba for having a lunch on last Sunday, adding 185+ km on the odometer!

Last edited by gmhossain : 2nd September 2021 at 08:01.
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 18:19   #1175
BHPian

The Hindusthan Hotel is one of my favourites along Durgapur expressway. For me it started during a road trip to Asansol when we found the Azad hind dhaba to be full, after which we were looking for another eating place.

Eversince, be it breakfast or lunch (never had dinner), Hindusthan is the place for us. Over the years, the looks of the dhaba has changed substantially, but the food story continues unabated.

While returning to Kolkata, its almost a routine to pack their Biryani, Butter chicken and the Rosogollas. It tastes heavenly!

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_1_1630760626004.jpg
Lunch time!
Best Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Got it totally . Inspired by your comment, we drove to this Dhaba for having a lunch on last Sunday, adding 185+ km on the odometer!
Quote:
The road surface through Gurap- Boinchi- Kalna is good with little or no disturbances at all although my choosing of this route is because of a place called Hindustan Dhaba

Last edited by sayakc : 4th September 2021 at 18:36.
sayakc is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 22:25   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
She stated quite firmly that by October end one flank would be ready
Quote:
Should it happen before the pujas, that would be a wonderful gift to road users for sure.
Looks like, it is on course. Both the spans of Kolkata-bound carriageway of Dalkhola railway over bridge (ROB) have now been cast with concrete. It means that we can literally begin the count down of 45 days from now for one-side of the ROB becoming operational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
... While returning to Kolkata, its almost a routine to pack their Biryani, Butter chicken and the Rosogollas.
Sayak, it's time for Rosogollas to celebrate the Dalkhola ROB.

One-side of Dalkhola ROB with both spans, cast with concrete
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dalkholarobsep7.png

Here is the full video:
gmhossain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:42   #1177
BHPian

Dear Golam-da,

Indeed and not only rosogollas, I believe we should celebrate with Biryani and Chicken Chaap! And if anyone deserves it I believe 1100D who created this thread, regular updates from BlackPearl/Samba/Papabravo in the past years and then it was you who did a yeoman service to update us on the road conditions.

Quote:
Sayak, it's time for Rosogollas to celebrate the Dalkhola ROB.

One question though, I was scrolling through the thread and found that ABHI_1512 and you had mentioned about SH7 not in a good condition and you were talking about an alternative path. Can you pls elaborate on it pls?

Also, pls update us on the 4 laning from Barasat to Bahrampur?

Best Regards,
Sayak
sayakc is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 22:09   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed and not only rosogollas, I believe we should celebrate with Biryani and Chicken Chaap! And if anyone deserves it I believe 1100D who created this thread, regular updates from BlackPearl/Samba/Papabravo in the past years
I guess, after it becomes operational, we should have a special Team-BHP Kolkata meet to celebrate the Dalkhola ROB.

Quote:
ABHI_1512 and you had mentioned about SH7 not in a good condition and you were talking about an alternative path. Can you pls elaborate on it pls?
Basically, you skip the NH-12 stretch between Kolkata and Krishnanagar by driving through the western side of the Hooghly river using newly upgraded state highways: Dankuni - SH13 - Mogra - SH6 - Nabadwip - SH8 - Krishnanagar.

Quote:
Also, pls update us on the 4 laning from Barasat to Bahrampur?
(1) Baharampur bypass (11 km): The work has resumed after NHAI released a compensation package to HCC for cost escalation in lieu of delayed handover of land [1]. The work was stalled for last 7 years and HCC had moved to the court.

(2) Baharampur - Krishnanagar: 65 km is now 4-laned and tolled. The remaining 11 km was in limbo. However, the work has resumed for around 7 km stretch in this year, around Beldanga and also a bit around Bhabta.

(3) Krishnanagar - Barajaguli: The widening work is in full swing for this 66 km long section. It's bit messy now and better be avoided at least for next few months.

(4) Barajaguli - Kolkata Airport: Around 20 km road in this section is still 2-laned and was left out from the last 4-laning tender of NH-12. This 2-laned stretch is also in very bad shape now. Fortunately, widening work of Kalyani Expressway is in full swing. It will connect Belghoria Expressway with NH-12 crossing at Barajaguli through 6/4 lane highway.

Best,

[1] https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/81776689.cms
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 20:47   #1179
BHPian

Need advice: Planning for a road trip to Darjeeling/Ghoom etc in late October/early November

Last year, in the last week of December (25th Dec, 2020) I travelled to Doars/Coochbehar in the EcoSport for a 10-day trip. It is now almost 9 months, and again planning to be there - but this time target is to go to Darjeeling and Ghoom and Tinchuley.

Has anyone travelled to Kolkata - Siliguri route via Botolbar or Dalkhola recently? How is the overall road condition?

Last time, Futishanko/Kumrodanga x-ing to Kuli was pretty bad. Similarly, Botolbar road was equally bad (at times horrible!).

Any idea, of the road condition?

Any advice would be greatly helpful for proper planning.
Old 6th October 2021, 21:56   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuk View Post
Need advice: Planning for a road trip to Darjeeling/Ghoom etc in late October/early November ... Has anyone travelled to Kolkata - Siliguri route via Botolbar or Dalkhola recently? How is the overall road condition?
We returned today after a hill trip. Overall, the road condition is good. Let me reiterate that at present the best Kolkata - Siliguri route is as follows:

Kolkata airport - Belgharia Expy - Dankuni - SH13 - Mogra - SH6 - Nabadwip - SH8 - Krishnanagar - NH12 - Botolbari/Domohona - B2B Road - Dhantola - NH27 - Bagdogra airport.

Few additional points:

SH6 (or STKK Road): This state highway is now in its best shape ever. A few potholes caused by last week's heavy rain have now been patched up mostly. The traffic has gone up considerably than what I saw in July. As a result, I do not see any safety issue even for the night driving!

NH-12: There are a few bad but short stretches (in 2-laned sections) after Krishnanagar, around Beldanga and after Baharampur. The rest are in good to decent shape. However, please watch out for those nasty, sudden potholes even in the 4-laned sections.

Bengal-2-Bengal Road: After consulting with arjab, we took Domohona - Bhulki - Bajiaur - Goagaon - Dhantola route for both onward and return journey. The surface was mostly in a very good shape. However, Bhulki - Bajiaur stretch is narrow and I had to drop wheels on the shoulders a few times to let oncoming trucks pass. For our Nexon it wasn't an issue but a low GC vehicle would struggle on this particular stretch. The rest are wide enough!

However, it's quite possible that one carriageway of Dalkhola bypass could become operational in about a month or so. If so happens, I guess, then personally I have had my last run along B2B road this week.

NH-27: Again, please watch out for those sudden potholes. Besides, due to the widening work, the stretches around Bagdogra airport is in mess.

Finally, NH-12 between Barasat and Krishnanagar was already in terrible shape before last week's heavy rain. After the rain, it's now a pure bloodbath; avoid!

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 08:43   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
the best Kolkata - Siliguri route is as follows:

Kolkata airport - Belgharia Expy - Dankuni - SH13 - Mogra - SH6 - Nabadwip - SH8 - Krishnanagar - NH12 - Botolbari/Domohona - B2B Road - Dhantola - NH27 - Bagdogra airport.
Many thanks dada, it is very helpful.
basuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 10:54   #1182
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Need suggestions on route to be taken from Ranchi to Siliguri. G Maps suggests the one via Giridih - Banka - Bhagalpur - Purnea - Islampur. Any idea how good is the route via Bhagalpur?

Any updates on the Dalkhola situation now? Does it makes sense to take the Purnea - Araria - Siliguri route instead?

Another option is to travel via Dhanbad - Pakur - Raiganj - Botolbari - Dhantola - Islampur.

Awaiting suggestions !
Old 7th October 2021, 11:28   #1183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Need suggestions on route to be taken from Ranchi to Siliguri.

Any updates on the Dalkhola situation now? Does it makes sense to take the Purnea - Araria - Siliguri route instead?
If you have to come via Bhagalpur, just after the JH border ends & Bihar border starts, roads deteriorate a bit and traffic increases significantly. Post Bhagalpur, there is still some amount of traffic [it is a wide single lane NH] till Purnea.

Dalkola nowadays sees traffic jams. Especially, post 13:00 / 14:00 hours onwards. Also Kishangunj [because of over bridge construction].

Would suggest to check G-Maps, if Kishangunj shows too much of traffic, you can take a left from Kishangunj overbridge and go via Bahadurgunj.

During day time, a single lane bridge is extremely congested in the Araria route. [A culvert was being made last Tuesday, unsure if it is operational, can revert maybe by Sunday evening]. You really need patience here, else, this road is okay as of now. But, is a single lane with a local traffic [unruly & sudden cyclist / cattle etc].

If its all boys in a SUV, take the Araria route.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 11:47   #1184
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If you have to come via Bhagalpur, just after the JH border ends & Bihar border starts, roads deteriorate a bit and traffic increases significantly. Post Bhagalpur, there is still some amount of traffic [it is a wide single lane NH] till Purnea.

Dalkola nowadays sees traffic jams. Especially, post 13:00 / 14:00 hours onwards. Also Kishangunj [because of over bridge construction].

Would suggest to check G-Maps, if Kishangunj shows too much of traffic, you can take a left from Kishangunj overbridge and go via Bahadurgunj.

During day time, a single lane bridge is extremely congested in the Araria route. [A culvert was being made last Tuesday, unsure if it is operational, can revert maybe by Sunday evening]. You really need patience here, else, this road is okay as of now. But, is a single lane with a local traffic [unruly & sudden cyclist / cattle etc].

If its all boys in a SUV, take the Araria route.
Thanks for the pointers, Sheel.

I had actually put this query on behalf of my brother, who is riding with one of his buddies to Siliguri on 16th October. So there will be two riders in two motorcycles.

I have suggested him to stick to the Dalkhola route as of now, not very sure of B roads that G Maps may suggest if Dalkhola has heavy traffic considering it is a long weekend and that too the Dussehra weekend so I am anticipating a major crowd heading to the hills from the plains.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 14:43   #1185
Team-BHP Support

On Motorcycles, please suggest them to stick to the main route [via Purnea]. Or via Botolbari.

Congestion / bottlenecks don't exist for 2 wheels, hence I love them more . Just ask them to watch out for potholes, especially between Purnea to Dalkola to Islampur.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks