Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 22:18   #31

Re: Belgaum - Goa " The Chorla Route "

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
I had the (mis)fortune of taking this route last november after missing the Amboli route from Belgaum. The road surface from Ramnagar to Jamboty was uneven but there was a dense tree canupy as we approached Jamboty. The drive from Jamboty to Chorla took us close to 3 hours. But the breathtaking views of the green hills once we climb to the top and the view of the dam(not sure of the name) blew us away. It was so beautiful, we forgot our tiredness and were instantly revived.
Wow! This is some road! And your trip can best be described as an expedition!

@Shahir, On an aside- could you throw some light on the condition NH4A? It was reasonably good six weeks ago, has it deteriorated now? I asked coz I plan on taking that road on Wednesday.
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:32   #32
BHPian

I think I'm the only one to have done this route when the road was pure silk. This was in 1993 or 1994. I did it on an LML Vespa and Mapusa - Belgaum took us around 2 hours. I later did this on a Kinetic Honda in 95. That time the road was in bad shape and it took us 5 hours. I don't think it's been fixed after that.
@Sahir, very nice of you to do this route for the conditions.
@Ashish - Tilary Ghat is a doable route but do it only while driving into Goa. The ghat section is very short. I last did this in an Accent in 2006
Old 14th February 2013, 22:34   #33
BHPian

Any update on the road condition. I am dying to make a trip on this road this monsoon! It surely looks heavenly!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 15th February 2013, 08:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Any update on the road condition. I am dying to make a trip on this road this monsoon! It surely looks heavenly!

Cheers!
Rohan
Please check out post nos. 974 to 987 in the thread "Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Go" on this forum, at the link given below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2999327

You can definitely give this route a try and look forward to your feedback after your trip
Old 15th February 2013, 09:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

We travelled on the Goa-Belgaum via Chorla in Jan 2013, the road is now in excellent shape, just a few metres of road to be laid back then, the entire stretch is a pleasure to drive on now.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 15:11   #36

"Belgaum - Jamboti -Kanakumbi - Chorla - Sanquelim.
This drive is wonderful. Don't miss it.
aanandb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 16:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I also had taken the same route in Dec 2012. Barring a few kilometers (5 kms in all) the road was excellent all the way. Must say that this one is the most scenic entry to Goa.
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:29   #38
BHPian

hooo...the pic are so tempting !! how was the performance of Wagan R on those roads ? Which tyre you are using ? Done any upgrades ?
Old 5th April 2013, 14:31   #39
BHPian

I have done this route 3 years back in my old Indica... I ran out of diesel half way through... I wanted to tank up at Belgaum, but there was bandh that day and I was told I can get some on the way...which never did... it was a great effort to get the few litres of diesel to reach Goa through this nightmare... added to this torture was the constant nagging of better half for having 'intentionally' chosen this route... it took me over 4 hours to cross this stretch of about 30 KMs...with the result, I missed all the 'beauty' on the road... and with total companion non-co-operation could not take any snaps too... fortunately my Indica supported me through and through and where many a HMVs were vanquished, defeated & deflated, mine went through the minefield totally unscathed... I will never forget this one journey in my life...
refaircargo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 16:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by refaircargo View Post
I have done this route 3 years back in my old Indica... I ran out of diesel half way through... I wanted to tank up at Belgaum, but there was bandh that day and I was told I can get some on the way...which never did... it was a great effort to get the few litres of diesel to reach Goa through this nightmare... added to this torture was the constant nagging of better half for having 'intentionally' chosen this route... it took me over 4 hours to cross this stretch of about 30 KMs...with the result, I missed all the 'beauty' on the road... and with total companion non-co-operation could not take any snaps too... fortunately my Indica supported me through and through and where many a HMVs were vanquished, defeated & deflated, mine went through the minefield totally unscathed... I will never forget this one journey in my life...
By all accounts on this thread, this road is now not only the most scenic but also the smoothest route to enter Goa. I am just waiting to try it out maybe in May.

I do hope you will get the chance to drive on this route again so that the better half will be convinced about your good intentions !
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 00:03   #41
BHPian

It was quite pleasant to see someone putting Tilari photos on Team BHP.
Spent few years of my childhood there. What a place it is.
Those days only connection we had with the outside world was 6 buses a day. The power plant project was being constructed then. Within few months of completing the project most of the people shifted out and once bustling town started looking like a ghost town. Still it is definitely comparable to other best hill stations in Maharashtra as far as scenery goes.
There is a route from TilariNagar to Goa via Dodamarg. Better follow this route. the way up isn't very easy. At least when I was there last. The ghat has some insane inclines and curves. A lot of stones that are used to under the wheels to stop trucks sliding back are left in the road.
I used to go there till off late from konkan. But used to go to Gadhinglaj via amboli then Chandgad to Tilari instead of climbing up from Dodamarg and save substantial km.
I remember being told by my father that in one particular year there the rain fall was more than that in CheraPunji.
I love rains there. Anyways apologies for going OT.
Old 7th August 2013, 18:28   #42
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone taken "The Chorla Route" this monsoon? Hope the road is holding up well.

Also, reports from Dec'2012 timeframe talk about a couple of kilometers of under-contruction stretch on this route. Any updates on that front?

From Belgaum to Panjim, what would be the approximate drive time by this route?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SDP : 7th August 2013 at 18:29.
Old 7th August 2013, 19:01   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Thanks in advance!

Nowadays all routes to Goa are via Chorla!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...route-150.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ad-goa-38.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...s-here-16.html
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 20:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Has anyone taken "The Chorla Route" this monsoon? Hope the road is holding up well.

Also, reports from Dec'2012 timeframe talk about a couple of kilometers of under-contruction stretch on this route. Any updates on that front?

From Belgaum to Panjim, what would be the approximate drive time by this route?

Thanks in advance!
Approximately 2.5-3hrs of drive time.Road all good
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 16:28   #45
BHPian

Hi to all,
Will drive from Mumbai to Chorla in last week of Sept. Plan to leave Mumbai around 5AM. Request expert inputs on a couple of things:
1. Best route to bypass Belgaum/minimize city trafice there.
2. Expected time to do the route. I plan a non-stop run.
3. Best refuel options. I should have an 3/4 empty tank from Mumbai-Chorla. Any good options near Chorla? Or should I fill up in/around Belgaum?

Any other tips are welcome too.
TIA
Karthik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks