Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 17:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Query about Wayanad/Coorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Even though the shortest way to Thirunelli would be through the Thamarassery ghats (NH212 from Calicut), that road is in terrible shape, so may be you should consider going via Nilambur (Kodungallur-Ponnani-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Nilambur-Nadugani-Vaduvanchal-Ambalavayal-Meenangadi-Panamaram-Mananthavady-Thirunelli) - would probably be about 30 kms extra, but it'd be easier on your car.
The last I heard was that the Nadugani ghats is inexistent. There was a land slide in September/October, and I heard the road is in poor shape now - pure hear-say, not sure. On the other hand, my relatives had traveled Kozhikode (Koduvally) to Bangalore in an A-Star in about 6 hours.

Quote:
Thirunelli has a Temple guest house (Panchatheertham) that is right outside the temple which is very cheap. Also there's a KTDC Tamrind hotel close by as well as a few resorts and homestays. No idea about quality since I've never stayed there.
Thanks. I've booked in Tamarind Thirunelli - reservations are very easy. One just has to call up them to block a room - advance payment can either me made by cash transfer to their account, or paying at any KTDC office. (I did the latter - made my payment at the Tourist Reception Centre of KTDC in Cochin).

Quote:
For the return route via Iritti, checkout the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...fo-needed.html - it generally has up to date info on roads in Coorg and the Iritti route. NH17 north of Calicut is also in terrible condition as per last reports - especially around Mahe.
That topic really left me confused - one saying the road is good and the other saying no. NH17 North of Kozhikode was inexistent the last time I went - in August this year. After the hues and cries about the road being inexistent, I hope they would have done something (atleast made things worse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
When you are going to Talacauvery, add Bhagamandala to your places to visit.

If you can travel 30kms from Madikeri, Nisargdama is another good place which is on the banks of River cauvery. Kushalnagar / GOlden Temple(Tibetan monastry and settlement) is a great place to spend some time.
Thanks for the suggestions. Thalacavery is on my list - I guess Bhagamandala is on the way to Thalacavery.

What exactly is Nisargadham? I saw a couple of photographs of it being some island - what exactly is it?

Golden Temple is on my list - it'll be covered if time permits.
Old 4th November 2011, 18:20   #17
BHPian

Re: Wayanad - 2 day / 3-day itinerary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
What exactly is Nisargadham? I saw a couple of photographs of it being some island - what exactly is it?

Golden Temple is on my list - it'll be covered if time permits.
Nisargdhama is nothing special. Do not plan to go there just for Nisargdhama and you will be disappointed. If you plan to go to Kushalnagar, you can spend about 30 minutes on the way at this place. Then you will feel 30 minutes well spent.
This is a small island formed by River cauvery. There is a deer park inside and a walkway to go into the river. You can go for a swim here if you want. Also there is elephant ride here. But not sure if it is functional any more.

If you have seen the telugu movie Kshanakshanam, then there is a movie scene where people cross a small hanging bridge over the river. This scene is shot here.

Wiki page link to this place
Nisargadhama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had been to this place last weekend and I felt it was time well spent with friends.

Additionally you can also check out Dubara elephant camp if you are around this place before 10 30 am. The road from Virajpet to Dobara elephant camp is really scenic.
Link to more info of my visit a to this place a couple of months back
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...an-temple.html

Note that in this travelogue, I did not go visit Nisargdhama. I had done that prior to metallica concert last week.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 4th November 2011 at 18:22.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 23:17   #18
BHPian

Nisargadama is a waste of time! was there ten days back...no elephant ride, long walk through slushy paths to see very tired deer, and a very uncouth crowd! Better bet would be to combine a visit to Dubare elephant camp (be there by 10 am latest to see the elephants being bathed and fed) with a tripto the Tibetan monastery.
Old 5th November 2011, 00:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wayanad - 2 day / 3-day itinerary?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Nisargdhama is nothing special. Do not plan to go there just for Nisargdhama and you will be disappointed. If you have seen the telugu movie Kshanakshanam, then there is a movie scene where people cross a small hanging bridge over the river. This scene is shot here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Nisargadama is a waste of time! was there ten days back...no elephant ride, long walk through slushy paths to see very tired deer, and a very uncouth crowd!
Agreed. Nisarghadhama is no big deal specailly on weekend wen crowd will be more.

Here is a good option to enjoy Cauvery. Go to Amanvana Spa next to Nisargadhama. Excellent resort on the banks of Cauvery. Peaceful and you can walk on the banks of the river and have a chilled glass...you know what!!!
Old 5th November 2011, 00:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The last I heard was that the Nadugani ghats is inexistent. There was a land slide in September/October, and I heard the road is in poor shape now - pure hear-say, not sure. On the other hand, my relatives had traveled Kozhikode (Koduvally) to Bangalore in an A-Star in about 6 hours.
Yes, Nadugani ghat section had a landslide in September or so, but apparently the road was repaired in less than a week, and as per reports from someone who travelled that way recently, the road is decent.

Normally I do Kalpetta to Bangalore in 4.5 hours (I'm something of a regular on that route) , but ended up taking 5 hours+ when I travelled that way 10 days ago because the roads in Kerala are pathetic to say the least. Also the Thamarassery Ghat section being in bad shape definitely isn't fiction - Last week my brother in law took a KSRTC sleeper from Calicut to Bangalore (nigth service) and was stuck in the ghat section till from 11PM to 7 AM because of a huge traffic jam caused by a truck getting stuck on a hairpin. So the 6 hours from Koduvally to Bangalore is certainly excellent timing. Just wonder if that wouldn't amount to cruelty towards the poor car

Quote:
That topic really left me confused - one saying the road is good and the other saying no. NH17 North of Kozhikode was inexistent the last time I went - in August this year. After the hues and cries about the road being inexistent, I hope they would have done something (atleast made things worse).
Well, everything is relative isn't it ? The Bangalore-Kannur regulars are so used to the terrible condition of the roads in the Coorg area that even a bit of a patchup must appear as god-sent for them (I recall taking the Gonikoppal-Hunsur section by night once based on a comment in that thread which said that the road was quite OK and had the shock of my life when I actually drove through that stretch !!)

Don't think there has been much of roadwork on NH17 since August, so don't expect too much of improvements from August to November. May be you could experiment with the route via Kuttiadi in case you have no specific reason to go to Thalassery.

Whichever route you take, please do post your feedback here. Will at least help the next guy who's travelling that way..
Old 5th November 2011, 10:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't think there has been much of roadwork on NH17 since August, so don't expect too much of improvements from August to November. May be you could experiment with the route via Kuttiadi in case you have no specific reason to go to Thalassery.
Via Kuttiadi? Do you mean this route: Virajpet-Makkuttam-Iritty-Peravoor-Boys Town-Mananthavady-Kuttiadi-Kozhikode?

Or Iritty-Peravoor-Nedumpoyil-Periya-Kuttiyadi-Kozhikode?

I was planning to go via Kozhikode-Kuttiadi-Thottilpalam-Korome-Manthavady. Any idea if there is any road in this route? Haven't been on the Thottilpalam stretch ever, so would like to have a look at how it looks as well.

I am actually in a Fix - would love to have a look at the Thamarassery Churam (had been there more than 5 years back), would love to see the Makkutta stretch (haven't been there ever) and also see the Thottilpalam route (haven't been there at all)..

I am bored of the Nadugani stretch - its a horrible narrow way all the time from Manjeri onwards - and have been on the Nadugani stretch many times. That route is ruled out for sure.

Quote:
Whichever route you take, please do post your feedback here. Will at least help the next guy who's travelling that way..
Most certainly. Hope to do a travelogue itself, hope it happens.
Old 5th November 2011, 13:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Via Kuttiadi? Do you mean this route: Virajpet-Makkuttam-Iritty-Peravoor-Boys Town-Mananthavady-Kuttiadi-Kozhikode?

Or Iritty-Peravoor-Nedumpoyil-Periya-Kuttiyadi-Kozhikode?
Actually neither of these. I was referring to Virajpet-Mananthavady-Thottilppalam-Kuttiadi-Calicut. But then that would also mean retracing the horrible stretch from Virajpet to Kutta.

Both the options you mentioned involve climbing down the ghats to Iritty and then going back up to Periya / Boys town and then down again - don't think it'd be worth it in this season.

Haven't travelled in any of these roads in the recent past. Last I went that way was Thalipparamba to Mananthavady via Iritty-Boystown about 3 months back, and the roads were bad between Peravoor and Boystown (especially around Kottiyoor if I recall right). The other routes I haven't taken for years, so no clue about the conditions. Remember reading someone's report here a few months ago about the Mananthavadi-Calicut route via Kuttiadi, and he had mentioned that the roads were not too bad except for some small stretches around Kuttiadi. But the heavy monsoon this season could have changed things drastically, so even that route could be a risk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks