Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2013, 19:59   #31
BHPian

Some technical help

On my way to Hampi this week I had the misfortune to go on the dreaded Sandur road used almost exclusively by sand trucks. Along the road the left wheel of my I10 (passenger side) fell into a large ditch. Upon reaching my hotel brought it to Bosch service center where they put it over a pit to examine it (they did not lift it as the had no lifters free. I found the plastic shield covering my auto trans underneath had broken in two. Also the trans underside had been slightly scraped and also the lower side arm scraped a bit. The car seems fine when driving it over a good road as well as some bad roads but not as bad and terrible like Sandur road. I will be bringing it to trident hyundai on Tuesday. What do you guys think I should check the suspension for when I bring it for the check other than replacing the broken plastic shield? Incidentally I tied the two pieces of the shield with twine to form some kind of temporary protection to avoid further damage.

Guys, feedback and advice would be appreciated .

Last edited by motorguy : 2nd November 2013 at 20:00.
Old 2nd November 2013, 21:44   #32
BANNED

Re: Some technical help

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
I will be bringing it to trident Hyundai on Tuesday. What do you guys think I should check the suspension for when I bring it for the check other than replacing the broken plastic shield? Incidentally I tied the two pieces of the shield with twine to form some kind of temporary protection to avoid further damage.
Sad to hear that buddy. Hope you and the passengers are fine.

Coming to the car: When you take the car to HASS, check the suspension and the wheel as it would have suffered equal damage. May be the wheel would have got bent or lost it's roundness and also get the cover (Shield) replaced ASAP. Also check if the Auto transmission has got any serious damage as you have found scratches on it.

Suspension and wheel examination is a must.

Anurag.
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:40   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
do you guys think I should check the suspension for when I bring it for the check other than replacing the broken plastic shield? Incidentally I tied the two pieces of the shield with twine to form some kind of temporary protection to avoid further damage.

If the car drives fine,then you should just be fine with just a shield replacement.

Just for your satisfaction, you could get the alignment checked at a competent independent tyre store.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 07:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Check for any leaks especially the transmission oil. It should be relatively easy if you park at some level cemented or concrete ground if possible. If there are no leaks, you should most likely be fine. It might be just scratches. If rims are bent or alignment is way off, you might experience steering wobbling at speeds above 60 or so.

I'd recommend avoiding bad roads and driving during odd hours if possible till you have got your car checked.
Old 3rd November 2013, 09:04   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

As long as nothing is broken don't worry. Just replace the plastic shield, inspect the lower arms and cross member for bends.

Get alignment carried out at a reputed shop and you are good to go
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 13:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Replace the shield at the earliest opportunity but get the suspension checked. The lower arm may require attention (replacement). An alignment check and correction is then needed.
Old 5th November 2013, 12:37   #37
BHPian

Quote:
On my way to Hampi this week I had the misfortune to go on the dreaded Sandur road used almost exclusively by sand trucks. Along the road the left wheel of my I10 (passenger side) fell into a large ditch. Upon reaching my hotel brought it to Bosch service center where they put it over a pit to examine it (they did not lift it as the had no lifters free. I found the plastic shield covering my auto trans underneath had broken in two. Also the trans underside had been slightly scraped and also the lower side arm scraped a bit. The car seems fine when driving it over a good road as well as some bad roads but not as bad and terrible like Sandur road. I will be bringing it to trident hyundai on Tuesday. What do you guys think I should check the suspension for when I bring it for the check other than replacing the broken plastic shield? Incidentally I tied the two pieces of the shield with twine to form some kind of temporary protection to avoid further damage.

An update: Took the car to HASS (Trident Hyundai) - luckily the plastic shield was available at just Rs.400). They check the car and other than a scrape on the auto trans and the lower side arm, the car is fine.

Apparently this plastic shield is only for auto i10s to protect the underside of the gearbox - unfortunately in my situation, falling into the ditch cracked the shield and because of the crack, the auto trans got scraped.

Also did an alignment at Trident - seems fine. However will do it again with a wheel rotation at Madhu's - who are the only guys I trust with my car's tire work.

On another note - replacement auto gearbox is Rs.2.6 lakhs compared to about Rs.55,000 for a manual.....!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks