Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2021, 12:09   #1246

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Hi,

I just bought a Chicco Unico Plus for my daughter who is a year old. However after fitting it yesterday ( isofix + top tether), I observed that the seat rattles a lot while moving. Like most of us, I hate any rattling noise in my car and I am wondering if something is defective with the piece. Also not sure how a baby will sleep if peacefully if the seat rattles so much. Was using a Chicco keyfit lap seat belt option till now and there were no rattles while using it. Can others who are using Chicco unico or other isofix car seats comment if this is expected? I am planning to return the seat but not sure if this is common in bigger car seats. Appreciate the inputs.
Old 26th September 2021, 23:06   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aken View Post
Hi,

I just bought a Chicco Unico Plus for my daughter who is a year old. However after fitting it yesterday ( isofix + top tether), I observed that the seat rattles a lot while moving. Like most of us, I hate any rattling noise in my car and I am wondering if something is defective with the piece. Also not sure how a baby will sleep if peacefully if the seat rattles so much. Was using a Chicco keyfit lap seat belt option till now and there were no rattles while using it. Can others who are using Chicco unico or other isofix car seats comment if this is expected? I am planning to return the seat but not sure if this is common in bigger car seats. Appreciate the inputs.
You should probably tighten the seat mount to isofix by pulling that strap in the seat when not in use. Might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
I'm also looking for a booster seat for my 6 year old girl. My car doesn't have ISOFix, can this seat get fixed with just the car's seatbelt? Thanks!
Honestly isofix will only help you to latch the seat when it is unoccupied. The seat sits in place with the belt when it is occupied. So yes, am sure you can use it without Isofix too. You can probably order and check the fitting by yourself, the product when I bought at least had 10 days returnable option - but yes you will waste those days.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 16:35   #1248

Thanks Sunikkat. I am not able to find any strap that tightens the mount. The only strap is to tighten the harness. I called Chicco customer care, had a video call and also sent them a video and they were not sure if this is an issue with my product or if this is expected. Can others please comment if rattling is normal in bigger car seats? Planning to return but not sure what else to buy as the options are limited for isofix seats.
Old 3rd October 2021, 09:08   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aken View Post
Thanks Sunikkat. I am not able to find any strap that tightens the mount. The only strap is to tighten the harness. I called Chicco customer care, had a video call and also sent them a video and they were not sure if this is an issue with my product or if this is expected. Can others please comment if rattling is normal in bigger car seats? Planning to return but not sure what else to buy as the options are limited for isofix seats.
0 rattle in my chicco nxtfit car seat as well as earlier keyfit car seat.

Get it checked by chicco store
dhruvwali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:58   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
I'm also looking for a booster seat for my 6 year old girl. My car doesn't have ISOFix, can this seat get fixed with just the car's seatbelt? Thanks!
Booster seats don't come with ISOFIX anyway. ISOFIX is only fit for less than 18 kg weight, which 6 year olds are either close or over it already.

Boosters are only for height, so that you can put the conventional 3 point seat belt on them.

I have my 7 year old son on 3 point seat belt on a combo seat (which is in use since he was 2.5 years old), since he has outgrown the 5-point harness size when he was 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Anyone with experience, and links to buy, car seats for around a 7-9 year old kid?
I got this when my daughter was almost 8. She grew tall enough to put her on regular seat with 3-point belt on sometime before her 11th birthday.

Last edited by narayans80 : 3rd October 2021 at 12:03.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 08:05   #1251

Hello everyone. I was searching for car seat for kids and landed on this webpage. I have some doubts and I am hoping that all of you who are using the car seats can shed some light on it.

1) Car seats should be used only after the baby is at least 6 months old ,right? My little girl is 2 months old.

2) The safest place is to install the seat in the rear seats. I have read it before and people here have commented that too. I want to know if I install the baby seat in the rear, will two persons (including the child with the car seat) will be accomodated comfortably in the back seat? I am asking because I want my parents to also travel with me.

I have a Ford Ecosport.
foadbear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 05:46   #1252
BHPian

1. It’s recommended to make your child sit in car seat from day 1. Infact in US in many states you can’t take your kid from hospital without a car seat. There are infant car seats for this very purpose.

2. Depends on the car seat you get. But in the ecosport it will be a tight fit for 2 adults + car seat in rear seat.

Nevertheless don’t let this deter you. Safety over comfort in this case should be the motto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadbear View Post
Hello everyone. I was searching for car seat for kids and landed on this webpage. I have some doubts and I am hoping that all of you who are using the car seats can shed some light on it.

1) Car seats should be used only after the baby is at least 6 months old ,right? My little girl is 2 months old.

2) The safest place is to install the seat in the rear seats. I have read it before and people here have commented that too. I want to know if I install the baby seat in the rear, will two persons (including the child with the car seat) will be accomodated comfortably in the back seat? I am asking because I want my parents to also travel with me.

I have a Ford Ecosport.
dhruvwali is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 19:09   #1253
BHPian

For a 3 year old and 7 year old, what car seats would be recommended? I am looking for 2 different far seats. Is booster ok for 7 year old which I guess I can then fasten him with standard car seat belt?
Old 18th October 2021, 23:05   #1254
BHPian

Quote:

I have a Ford Ecosport.
I second what Dhruvwali said. Regarding your 2nd point, there are some slim car seats that are designed so that 3 car seats can accommodate in the 2nd row. I believe such a setup is called '3-across'. You can check the Diono Radian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
For a 3 year old and 7 year old, what car seats would be recommended? I am looking for 2 different far seats. Is booster ok for 7 year old which I guess I can then fasten him with standard car seat belt?
For the 3 year old, it is better to go with an all-in-one seat (something like the Graco 4-ever Extend2fit) as they can be used as booster seats till the child is ready to use a seat belt.
For the 7 year old, there is no other option other than the Booster seat. Go with a highback booster for the additional safety in side-impacts.
Rohan265 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 07:23   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Get a rear facing child seat, it is advised to use rear facing seat at least till 12-15 months based on the weight of the kid. As mentioned by others, you can put your kid in child seat from day 1.
Old 21st October 2021, 10:20   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car seats can be used from day 1. Get a combo seat, so you can use it for the 10-12 years you child would need one. It will be expensive, but it will be an one time investment.

I got the Diono Radian RxT when my son was 2.5 years old. He was on forward facing 5-point harness initially and have been using it as a forward facing booster for the last year (he is 7 now).

Since your child is much younger, you will have to start with rear facing 5-point.

Quote:
2) The safest place is to install the seat in the rear seats.
Ideally the rear-center. But then we don't get 3-point seat belt for the middle passenger. So the best is rear passenger seat.

Yes, you can seat 2, including the child. 3 in the back with child seat will be a tight fit in any car.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 22:14   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Bought this Evenflo Spectrum Highback Booster Car Seat for my 5 year old son after some research on the web.

Evenflo Spectrum 2-in-1 Booster Car Seat https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MQWR6UU/..._Cdf6zb549ZRXW

Pros:-

1. Good construction. Feels sturdy and well put together.

2. Very very comfortable. The best part is the rests on the sides of the head area. Prevent head from drooping sideways when the child falls asleep. This was my biggest worry as children inevitably fall asleep on long drives and drooping heads negate the advantage of correct seat belt positioning achieved by such seats. The side head rests got tested during a drive to Jaipur few weeks back, where my son slept peacefully all throughout with his head rested on these side supports.

3. The rests on the sides of the head are also designed to provide safety to head during side impacts. And you can make out they will do a good job in this once you see them. I feel this is a great advantage and an added safety feature, which will compliment the curtain airbags.

2. Sized perfectly. The size can be adjusted to accomodate the child as he grows. This is expected in such seats.

Cons / Issues.

1. When I had routed the seat belt through the supports/ sleeves provided in the area under the head rests, the belt was not retracting on its own if the child bent forward. However, I have now taken the belt out of those sleeves and just route it in the area between the head rest and back support. Not only does the seat belt still fit snugly on the shoulder as it is intended to, but also retracts freely now. Lap position of the belt is good anyways.

Really happy with the quality of the seat, perfect seat belt positioning, extra side supports / safety for the head area.
Hi guys.

I had bought this seat for my son around 4 years back, through amazon. It was imported from US, and had cost me upwards of 14k back then.

My son has now outgrown it. However, the seat is in perfect condition, and is like brand new.

I am looking to sell it, to anyone who can pick it up in Delhi NCR. If interested, pls send a PM.

Regards
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 20:30   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
I ordered a maxi-cosi rodifix for my elder one from amazon UK. It costs 180GBP in the UK, the overall bill with the duty etc came to 300GBP, so thats a more expensive option. Your call.
Only those child-safety aware can appreciate the value of a good car seat. I bought this seat from Amazon UK right after buying my Jetta DSG, and I have never regretted spending so much on it, there is a certain satisfaction one gets knowing the kids are safe in the back seat.

My kid has now outgrown this seat, so it is up for sale now. Interested members please get in touch with me, so I can share more pictures etc.

Model: Maxi Cozi Rodifix with ISOFIX.
Suitable for: 15-36 Kgs of weight.
Imported from the UK in 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-pxl_20211104_065918043.jpg  

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-pxl_20211104_070018837.jpg  

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-pxl_20211104_070147958.jpg  

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-pxl_20211104_0703047412.jpg  

Last edited by harryputtar : 4th November 2021 at 20:43. Reason: Attaching pictures.
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 18:43   #1259
BHPian

Hi,

Request for help from fellow BHPians in selecting the Child Seat for my 2 little ones. We have 2 cars in the family. One has ISOFIX and the other one does not have it.

The children are aged 1.5 and 5.5 years at present. Would request inputs to help me select the right brand and Group for the child seat. Also will the ISOFIX seat be compatible with the other vehicle?
Old 10th November 2021, 11:15   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingCars View Post
Hi,

Request for help from fellow BHPians in selecting the Child Seat for my 2 little ones. We have 2 cars in the family. One has ISOFIX and the other one does not have it.

The children are aged 1.5 and 5.5 years at present. Would request inputs to help me select the right brand and Group for the child seat. Also will the ISOFIX seat be compatible with the other vehicle?
For the younger child, I would suggest going with a multistage or all-in-one car seat. These child seats can be used across all groups (0-3). Naturally, the price is higher compared to the standard convertible seats. But, considering that the seats can be used till the age of 10, such seats can actually be considered the value-for-money option. The only downside is their size if you have a small car. My suggestion would be to get a seat that allows rear-facing for a longer duration.

For the elder child, you have no other option but to get a booster seat. Consider a high-back booster.

Regarding the ISOFIX, almost all child seats that have ISOFIX are also compatible with a seatbelt(make sure to check the specs first). Using a seatbelt is just as safe as an ISOFIX. The only difference between an ISOFIX and seatbelt fitment is that the ISOFIX eliminates any errors in installation. If you follow the guidelines for using a seatbelt, you should be fine. One downside of the ISOFIX is that it has a weight limit (around 30-40kg). This means that you are better off using a seatbelt if you plan to get a booster seat for your elder child. The ISOFIX mount can be used for the younger child till he/she moves on to a booster setting.

Selecting the right brand for the child seat is a personal choice. You have a choice between the local/Chinese ones such as Luvlap, R for Rabbit, etc., and the global ones such as Britax, Graco, Chicco, Maxi Cosi, Diono, Joie, etc. My suggestion would be to go with the global brands. The global brands' seats are much more expensive (~20-30k) than the local ones (~10k). However, the difference in quality is also considerable, even though both categories claim to have passed the ECE R44 standards. You can try to visit a baby-products shop to see the difference yourself. Another important reason for choosing global brands is because you can find proof of their reliability all over the internet through crash tests and the real-world crash experience of users, which is an important factor. I have never come across any user's real-world crash experience with a seat from the local brands. I am not saying that the seats are not safe, just that there is no proof that will give credibility to their quality. The only downside with the global brands is their lack of availability in India. You may have to import the seats.

For global brands, Britax is the gold standard. The seats used in crash tests are Britax seats. You get a lot of features but their seats are quite expensive. You can consider Graco, Chicco, Maxi Cosi for relatively cheaper but reliable seats. Diono seats can also be considered if you have a narrow/small car.
Rohan265 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks