Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2023, 14:54   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
A man got killed when his car burst into flames while trying to park the car. Wonder what happened here as apparently the fire didn't start from the engine bay. Scary stuff.
https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...-man-dies.html
PS: Can anyone identify the car from the pics?
This happened just 2kms from our home. Sad that the guy couldn't get out.

There was a loud explosion reported by neighbours before the car burst into flames. Heard someone mention about a canister of inflammable stuff in the car which could have led to the fire - authorities yet to confirm actual cause.

Another possibility mentioned was that the petrol tank burst on hitting something (the way up to his house is kinda inclined) sparking off the fire and thus only the passenger compartment burning.

As ecenandu posted, it's a Tata Tiago 2017.
Old 21st August 2023, 19:55   #812
Senior - BHPian

Article in today's Hindu (Kerala edition) on this topic.

I had a feeling that there was increase in the insects (mosquitoes, beetles, grass hoppers, crickets etc.) near the back of the car (below the fuel cap) since more than a year (post ethanol blending) when the car was parked near the garden..... felt that the fuel odour was higher than earlier, attracting these insects.

My doubt is, if the fuel pipes have been bored (holes drilled) by these insects, won't the fuel spill out? Shouldn't that catch our attention?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img_20230821_194251.jpg  

vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 23:21   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

A Tata Ace caught fire near Cadbury signal on the Eastern Express Highway, Thane West. Noone was injured which is a relief.

"Thane: Running Tempo Catches Fire On Eastern Express Highway, No Injuries Reported (VIDEO)"

http://dhunt.in/OIMY7?s=a&uu=0x4a09defdfbda8a93&ss=pd
Source : "Free Press Journal" via Dailyhunt

They wrote Tata Ace once in the newsreport but bounced back to the fossilized brandname "Tempo". The brandname "Matador" was used for all mini trucks till recently. Now Tempo has made a comeback.

The video on twitter

https://twitter.com/fpjindia/status/...xWs6bauew&s=19
Old 30th September 2023, 22:21   #814
Senior - BHPian

An EV caught fire in Bangalore today. Looks like a Mahindra E2O. Not sure though.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1708146632381128784
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 06:36   #815
BHPian

Mahindra e2o goes up in flames in Bangalore

A Mahindra e2o electric car went up on flames in Bangalore yesterday, near the Dalmia circle flyover in JP Nagar.

The exact cause hasn't been ascertained yet. No casualties, thankfully.

Video on X

https://x.com/rakeshprakash1/status/...381128784?s=46
Old 1st October 2023, 08:59   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
An EV caught fire in Bangalore today. Looks like a Mahindra E2O. Not sure though.
Yes it definitely is a Mahindra e2o.
Saw the news in TV yesterday night and the fully burnt car looks like e2o only after seeing the rear end in the below video.

bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 10:34   #817
BHPian

Re: Mahindra e2o goes up in flames in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufficient_shop View Post
A Mahindra e2o electric car went up on flames in Bangalore yesterday, near the Dalmia circle flyover in JP Nagar.

The exact cause hasn't been ascertained yet. No casualties, thankfully.

Video on X

https://x.com/rakeshprakash1/status/...381128784?s=46
Mahindra should conduct an thorough investigation and comeback with a reason for the fire. We can clearly see that the battery has also caught fire. Now it is to be seen that the car caught fire due to the battery or vice versa
Old 1st October 2023, 11:06   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra e2o goes up in flames in Bangalore

Probably the first reported battery fire in an E2O, unlike the Tata Nano! That, too, for a car that has been out of production for nearly 7 years. This one looks like the 2-door E2O, so its production would have been stopped around the end of 2016. So my guess would be, this one had after-market lithium batteries installed without a suitable battery management system, which led to the fire.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 13:04   #819
BHPian

I thought the car in the Delmia circle fire looked like a MG Comet. Is it confirmed that it is Mahindra?
Old 1st October 2023, 14:11   #820
BANNED

Many E2o owners replace or add additional batteries from no name battery makers who make battery packs from no name chinese cells.

The original batteries are LFP, the only way to make a car with a LFP battery to go up in flames is by causing a short which lead to arcing like cheap BMS, shoddy wiring or the insulation of cables has been compromised. Even loose contact in the electrical connections can cause a Arc which then needs a flammable materials in the car like carpet, rubber, plastics to catch fire.

Last edited by aim120 : 1st October 2023 at 14:13.
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:51   #821
BHPian

One of the users on twitter found the registration of the vehicle from the number plate. The car is a 2015 registered first owner car.

https://twitter.com/east_bengaluru/s...15461098991633

The owner could have replaced some batteries since the car is 8 years old. Or Mahindra did not maintain the battery and charging systems properly.

Due to battery degradation, the battery loses life every year. Subsequently it charge output and recharging thresholds have to be recalibrated.

After 4 years of use, my E2O lost about 20 kms of charge and Mahindra didn't bother checking or maintaining it, and my car stalled in the middle of the road with 20kms of charge still showing on the indicator.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ice-visit.html (Once a proud Mahindra E2O owner, I'm now absolutely frustrated with problems after a service visit)

Now imagine if the battery had degraded and the charger kept trying to push charge into it, or draw more charge (say in boost mode) from the battery that cannot handle such a high current drain / load. Surely a recipe for disaster.

I am going to place the blame on Mahindra here. The owner may have done something too, but in this case I think it's more likely a negligence from Mahindra..
Old 2nd October 2023, 14:10   #822
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post

Now imagine if the battery had degraded and the charger kept trying to push charge into it, or draw more charge (say in boost mode) from the battery that cannot handle such a high current drain / load. Surely a recipe for disaster.

I am going to place the blame on Mahindra here. The owner may have done something too, but in this case I think it's more likely a negligence from Mahindra..
Lot of Myths in the post.

The battery will not take more charge. If a battery has lost its capacity the battery will reach its fully charged state faster due to the fact that the fully charged state voltage is attained faster which for LFP (3.6v) and NMC/NCA (4.2v). Once the charger detects this max voltage, it slowly ramps down the current till its slightly more then the bms balacing cell current.

So a charger will not overharge a battery unless the charger/BMS has also failed.

Now to your point of boost mode where the car draws more current on weak battery. This will cause the voltage to drop below the 0% SOC or what ever is the cut off voltage set to and this will not cause the battery to catchfire.

Last edited by aim120 : 2nd October 2023 at 14:13.
Old 2nd October 2023, 14:35   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Lot of Myths in the post.

The battery will not take more charge. If a battery has lost its capacity the battery will reach its fully charged state faster due to the fact that the fully charged state voltage is attained faster which for LFP (3.6v) and NMC/NCA (4.2v). Once the charger detects this max voltage, it slowly ramps down the current till its slightly more then the bms balacing cell current.

So a charger will not overharge a battery unless the charger/BMS has also failed.

Now to your point of boost mode where the car draws more current on weak battery. This will cause the voltage to drop below the 0% SOC or what ever is the cut off voltage set and this will not cause the battery to catchfire.l

I will disclaim that I am not a battery expert or an electrical engineer.
So help me with this

1) How does a sealed battery lose its capacity, rather how does one detect that a sealed battery loses it's capacity and what is the current capacity it has? Google says the E2O battery is 200Ah (let's go with this assumption). How does the BMS know if the capacity has dropped to (say) 180Ah? Is this the manual recalibration that needs to be done? As I have mentioned, my E2O (while driving) believed that I still had 20% charge, but the battery was dead. This could work similarly while charging. What if the system tries to continue to push current till the battery goes up to 200Ah thinking the battery was still in good health?

2) Let's be clear on what you mean when you say "weak" battery. I am not talking about a "drained" battery, I am talking about drawing a lot of current on a "degraded" battery which still has sufficient SOC. Why will the SOC drop to 0%? I've driven my E2O with 10% SOC and the electronics limits boost mode and top speed, but will never mess with the SOC and cutting off of the car while driving.

Have you used your phone to record 4K videos for a long time? if yes, you would have seen the phone heating up until it has to shut down or shut down the recording. iPhone had this scandal where they reduced performance of the phone when battery reached 90% capacity to avoid overheating and similar dangers. Wouldn't the car battery be similar? The BMS or whatever system needs to detect this, the battery temperature etc. and take preventive / corrective action.

I postulate that all these electronics needs to be calibrated / recalibrated to adjust to battery capacity and degradation and Mahindra may not have done a good job here. I have lived this experience.

The car was on a flyover (from what I see in the videos) and maybe was using more power to climb the incline.

Happy to have electrical engineers / battery experts that know these system provide their hypothesis. I'm sure Mahindra will do an investigation and come out with their report. I am also sure that there will be no finger pointing at Mahindra or their technicians in their own report, if they don't find the owner having willfully done any unauthorized wiring changes.
Old 2nd October 2023, 15:22   #824
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
So help me with this

1) How does a sealed battery lose its capacity, rather how does one detect that a sealed battery loses it's capacity and what is the current capacity it has? Google says the E2O battery is 200Ah (let's go with this assumption). How does the BMS know if the capacity has dropped to (say) 180Ah? Is this the manual recalibration that needs to be done? As I have mentioned, my E2O (while driving) believed that I still had 20% charge, but the battery was dead. This could work similarly while charging. What if the system tries to continue to push current till the battery goes up to 200Ah thinking the battery was still in good health?
Good questions, a BMS may or may not know what capacity the battery is, its job is just to balance the cells and cut off the charging or discharging due to full charged state voltage or the low voltage cut off respectively. Some BMS will know the capacity after you enter the details in its settings. Even if the factory settings was 200ah and let say the capacity of the battery now is 150ah, the motor controller and charger is only looking at the voltage of the battery.

The SOC indicator in the car is just guessing the range based on the voltage or in some cases using the kwh reading.
The most full proof method to know what the capacity is by using a DC columb meter which shows everything like voltage, current draw, kw and kwh. This will show how much SOC is left but you have to do your own math to translate that to range by looking at kw drawn and speed.

Quote:
2) Let's be clear on what you mean when you say "weak" battery. I am not talking about a "drained" battery, I am talking about drawing a lot of current on a "degraded" battery which still has sufficient SOC. Why will the SOC drop to 0%? I've driven my E2O with 10% SOC and the electronics limits boost mode and top speed, but will never mess with the SOC and cutting off of the car while driving.
I am talking about degraded battery, if you draw more current then what the battery can handle the voltage drops and it triggers the low voltage cut off in your motor controller. This can result in either reverting to crawl speed or complete shut off depending one the parameters set in the motor controller unit.

Quote:
when battery reached 90% capacity to avoid overheating and similar dangers. Wouldn't the car battery be similar? The BMS or whatever system needs to detect this, the battery temperature etc. and take preventive / corrective action.
Some cars do have temperature monitoring to stop batteries from overheating by increasing the coolant flow rate. But in E20 its passively cooled it doesnt even have a heatsink because they are charged at a slow rate and motor also is not pulling a lot of amps. Those cells in E20 don't need cooling because the battery cell casing cannot conduct meaningful heat.

Last edited by aim120 : 2nd October 2023 at 15:24.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 22:28   #825
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

NMMTC electric bus gutted in fire at Airoli, Navi Mumbai

The normal holiday evening suddenly got a bustling awakening with blaring incessant sirens below my apartment. I went to balcony and saw that some thing is on fire and assumed it is the transformer in the street corner. After a couple of minutes, looking at the intensity and flashing nature of fire, I figured this would be an EV. I went down saw a JBM electric bus belonging to NMMTC, getting gutted in fire.

The fire men were trying to put out the fire with water initially and the fire was erupting again as soon as it was put down. I later saw the
foam cans getting mixed with water. It took a good 30-40 mins to control the fire. Now I'm wondering if the battery pack is in the ceiling and I don't recall if saw public buses plying on this road before.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img20231002214159.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img20231002214339.jpg  

Last edited by JReacher13 : 2nd October 2023 at 22:48.
JReacher13 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks