Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2015, 11:53   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Ban alcohol sale on highways: Supreme Court panel
Source
While the alcohol sale ban itself may not have much bearing at the ground level, it is heartening to see court take note of other problems in our system -

Quote:
The committee also suggested that road safety audit be conducted by states to ensure that safety standards are incorporated in the design, construction and maintenance of road
Quote:
"The procedure for issuing licenses is also very lax. A large number of licences are issued by licensing officer in one day which implies that standards are not met," the report said.
Quote:
Highlighting lack of awareness among people on road safety rules, the committee finds fault with the government for not framing a policy on educating people in this regard.
Quote:
"states also do not have adequate number of trauma centres and the ambulances do not have required medical facilities"
Old 25th May 2015, 14:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Ban on liquor vends stays

The ban stays. The court shows more sense than some of the members.

Allowing liquor vends on highways is an example of 'misplaced' freedom. Their major revenue stream is the guys driving down the road. There are no two things about it. My hometown ( a small one) is bang on NH-1 and I am talking from what I have seen all my life. Drunk driving used to be ( may be still is) way too common and we used to hear news of accidents on highway with alarming frequency.

So, at some point in time, the court banned it on a PIL. Moving them from plain sight has helped. To a degree.

A good comparison is with US gun laws, not with rice meals. Promising a "Large Life" on highways in big and bold hoardings does more harm than good. Period.
Are you sure that drunk driving would come down (in your home town) because of closure of the shops on this highway?

Misplaced freedom or not, but Courts have actually infringed upon my freedom to drink while my non inebriated driver delivers me home safely.

Did the courts direct the police to do a better job of checking drunkenness, rather than only create hue and cry about vehicle registration, entry tax, PUC and yellow stickers on the headlight?

Di the court admit its own shortcoming about taking timely decisions on matters pertaining to loss of life and property? Which ultimately leads to people believing that in India you can actually drink and drive and get away with it.

Did the courts talk about unsafe road designs? And further made unsafe by banners/hoardings/wires/cables/trenches and other activities under ownership of multiple peoples and organizations. What does police do in such cases?

What about the well equipped govt hospitals and effective staff? Who does the court hold responsible for lack of these?

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th May 2015 at 14:32.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 17:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

I totally support discouraging liquor wine and beer sales on the highways. Even more so sine we do not know how to limit ourselves. I have hardly ever seen what will be called 'social drinking', it is to get sloshed 95% of the time. I know I am pushing the no alcohol rule bit, but cannot resist making this comment.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 20:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I totally support discouraging liquor wine and beer sales on the highways. Even more so sine we do not know how to limit ourselves. I have hardly ever seen what will be called 'social drinking', it is to get sloshed 95% of the time. I know I am pushing the no alcohol rule bit, but cannot resist making this comment.

I agree totally with you sir. Actually your comment would also make one think that the alcoholics could also logically get their booze from anywhere and drink on the highway hence not making a difference. But the way I see it, since we Indians have proved that we can't control ourselves in the drink and drive thingie amongst numerous other things, the authorities should think on simple yet effective remedies.

Two simple things.

1) What are we doing that encourages and aids makes it easier to drink-n-drive and

2) what are we doing that discourages it makes it harder and scarier to drink n drive.

And highway liquor shops would certainly aid in the former, which, I think, is going in the wrong direction. Period.
Old 26th May 2015, 02:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

To all of those people who are for removing liquor shops from highways - remember - one who is a habitual drunkard shall BHOB (Bring his/her own booze) to sip through the drive.
I normally pick up liquor from highway stores if I have forgot to get them the last night before our trip! they are lifesavers ! But I do not mix drinking with driving - I have got the minimum common sense and love for my life and my family to not indulge in the same.
I am against any more government influence in my life. Not what I should eat (by banning beef), whom I should have a relationship with (article 370) , and whether I should drink/smoke or not (dry states / smoking messages during movies). Its my life, let me and my insurance company deal with it.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 09:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Let me ad in the UK alcohol sale is not allowed within 1/2 a mile of any motorway (and I guess A-grade highway).
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 10:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me ad in the UK alcohol sale is not allowed within 1/2 a mile of any motorway (and I guess A-grade highway).
Is it the same case in rest of Europe and US/Can/Aus?

Also, are the advertisements allowed that can be seen from the motorway?
Old 27th May 2015, 10:29   #53
BHPian

Long Post Alert –

I would like to tell an incident which happened in my office. Every Friday it was casuals and everyone used to look forward to Friday to get rid of the suit boot tie. One day a very senior official saw a guy in the lift wearing a low jeans and a round neck t-shirt. This senior made a fuss out of it and what happened next is ridiculous.

Casuals was banned on Fridays in the office immediately. Since the HR and Security couldn't implement the policy in a right manner, the majority of the employee had to suffer.

My previous company had 2 days full suit boot, 2 days business casuals and Friday full casuals. But you couldn't wear slippers/floaters, round necks, low jeans, Ts with wordings etc... Now the security and HR in this company are damn strict in implementing the rules. The security wouldn't allow you inside the campus if you are not in compliance with the company policy. If at all you escape from Security and get got with HR, there was high chances of termination. That means everyone knew the consequences and I never saw an incident like the one I explained above. Every employee fell in line with the company policy and many were more than eager to follow the rules on other days as well

Now why am I telling you all a boring story? Apply the same logic in this discussion regarding banning of alcohol sales on the highways. Just because the Police and Government cannot implement the Law, the law abiding netizens wake up and ask for alcohol to be banned on the highways without proper study and understanding

The Mentality in India is like below

1. If we cannot implement it, let’s Ban it
2. If we don't like it, let’s Ban it
3. Other are deprived of it, let’s Ban it
4. Some section of vote bank doesn't like it, let’s Ban it
5. Shows the actual reality, let’s Ban it

Now, whose problem is it if drunk and drive check is not implemented efficiently by the police and the government. Why the Janata doesn't take it out on the Police. What does banning liquor shop has to do with it.

There are lot of other things which are causing equal if not more accidents than drunk and drive on the highways.

The hotels/eateries with haphazard parking by the customers. Should hotels be banned?
Tractors, overloaded trucks, rampant bus drivers. Should these also be banned?
Pedestrians’, fruit/vegetable vendors, handicraft shops, tea stalls etc.. I can give a long list.

What all to ban and whom all will you ban.

Is this problem limited to the highways or is it in the cities also. I think it’s more in the cities than the highways. People just shut their eyes to it in the city since We are a nation of convenience, justification and denial.

As long as something is convenient to me even though it means I am breaking the law or it’s illegal, I am in denial mode to accept it’s wrong. After all what’s wrong in doing it if 1000’s are doing it is the justification.
The moment something becomes inconvenient to me even though it’s legal, we have every justification to deny following it.

I know it’s a long post and many things are irrelevant here, but can’t help write when someone talks of banning something since we don’t have the mindset to implement it.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 14:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Dp not recall seeing any. I am wondering what happens in France. Whether vin can be served with or without meals.
Old 30th May 2015, 14:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Is it the same case in rest of Europe and US/Can/Aus?

In USA , the law varies widely from state to state.
A perfect example is the Massachusetts/ new Hampshire border. Liquor is taxed in MA, so people living in Boston and surrounding areas drive to NH which is a tax free state and buy liquor by the truck full.
Once you cross over from MA to NH, huge billboards welcome and direct you towards the nearest tax free liquor shop.
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dp not recall seeing any. I am wondering what happens in France. Whether vin can be served with or without meals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
In USA , the law varies widely from state to state.
A perfect example is the Massachusetts/ new Hampshire border. Liquor is taxed in MA, so people living in Boston and surrounding areas drive to NH which is a tax free state and buy liquor by the truck full.
Once you cross over from MA to NH, huge billboards welcome and direct you towards the nearest tax free liquor shop.
Then the same can happen here in India too, not making any great difference.
If I was owner of such a facility, hit by the ban, I would place strategic advertisements for the prospects.

Thereby not changing the situation after all!
Old 8th June 2016, 18:56   #57
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To ensure road safety, National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has written to chief secretaries of all state governments to take necessary action to remove liquor shops from being located directly on the National Highways and not to issue fresh licenses if the location is squarely on the National Highways.
Source:Govt puts brakes on national highway liquor shops to curb drunk driving
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 15:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Oh ... I wonder what NHAI thinks about overloaded and non roadworthy vehicles?

Take the easy way out - ban something which may or may not be fruitful / relevant, and claim credit for the next elections - this is the mantra on which all public bodies are being run.

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th June 2016 at 15:12.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 10:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

The ban on liquor shops is now extended to state highways as well.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...g/54474561.cms
Old 15th December 2016, 11:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

The NHAI, which can't get toll booth operators on to Fastag or construct rest rooms on the highways has washed its hands off and asked chief secretaries to implement this. The liquor vends come under the excise portfolio, so the ensuing turf war will ensure nothing happens, although the paperwork is up to date. Banning liquor won't prevent drunk driving, alcoholics will get their fix, legislation doesn't change addiction, any more than the horrible public service advertisements we are subject to on the media about smoking, washing hands and whatever else is the current fad.

Most Viewed