Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 01:05   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The ABS discussion thread

Quote:
Can anyone please tell me an exact way to know if ABS is functioning or not ?
Yes... do what I suggested. You should feel the pedal judder.

I have to admit that I haven't done it myself for a long time, as I'm nervous about making a car skid even in the safest situation imaginable. The last time I did was driving on ice, where the test could be done at less than walking speed and the car was not going to slide far in any direction. The judder sensation in the brake pedal is unmistakable.

Re your tour: what you should be more worried about is any problem with your braking system, rather than ABS specifically.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th July 2012 at 01:07.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 01:26   #407
BHPian

Thanks for your replies,guys. Half an hour ago I tested in ORR & the brakes are fine. Only thing I'm worried about is the ABS part. I want to be sure its not affected due to brakes cleaning.
Old 12th July 2012, 01:49   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Thanks for your replies,guys. Half an hour ago I tested in ORR & the brakes are fine. Only thing I'm worried about is the ABS part. I want to be sure its not affected due to brakes cleaning.
Buddy! You still awake! Check this out quickly and get some sleep before the trip tomorrow.
Antilock Brake Systems (ABS)
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 07:38   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr
Can anyone please tell me an exact way to know if ABS is functioning or not ?

Edit : I'm going on a tour this weekend, so I don't want to take any chance with ABS may or may not work :(
Just find an empty backroad, and brake to the hilt from even 20-30 kmph.
If you don't lockup, or if you can spot staggered kids, youre OK.

I do feel you though, even an aircon vent that refuses to stay becomes the overriding concern when going for a long drive.
Although you know it wont harm anything, but it becomes the only concern.

I hope you find peace, brother.. ....
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 07:51   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Ankan - May I know the reason for doubting the ABS working in your car? In fact the ABS activating would be more prouncedly felt in cleaned brakes.
As Thad E Ginathom rightly said you will feel the pedal judder when the ABS kicks in upon braking hard. Have experienced the judder myself on a couple of occassion in city driving and not on highways. Should work the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes... do what I suggested. You should feel the pedal judder.
The judder sensation in the brake pedal is unmistakable.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 09:24   #411
BHPian

Ok, all pros and cons (mostly pros though) of ABS are understood. Now what about all of us who drive non-ABS cars? What are the safe braking techniques to be used on non-ABS cars? I personally ensure that I don't drive over 90kmph, however, on straight open roads I do get tempted. Apart from driving slower, what else can I do?

Last edited by riturajsharma19 : 12th July 2012 at 09:34.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:29   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Ok, all pros and cons (mostly pros though) of ABS is understood. Now what about all of us who drive non-ABS cars? What are the safe braking techniques to be used on non-ABS cars? I personally ensure that I don't drive over 90kmph, however, on straight open roads I get tempted. Apart from driving slower, what else can I do?
Drive defensively, with caution and anticipation at all times.
Keep to a reasonable speed limit which will not push the car beyond its braking capability.

Once in a while pump the brakes mildly, especially when driving in wet road conditions and in the rains. This is a good practice because it removes water from the drums at the back and keeps the brakes readier for action than otherwise.

As time progresses and you consider your next upgrade, go in for a vehicle which has these modern safety aids. We do need these safety features nowadays, because of the way people are hurtling about on the roads at extremely high speeds.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 09:31   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally ensure that I don't drive over 90kmph, however, on straight open roads I get tempted. Apart from driving slower, what else can I do?
I hope one doesnt need to face such situation, but in case if you do, you will have to react with the reflexes of some super hero, not really possible to simulate ABS by pumping, but you can still give that a try, release the breaks when you want steerability and keep it stamped rest of the time. Some people are good at this with some practice, not all!

Last edited by Ketan : 12th July 2012 at 09:33.
Old 12th July 2012, 14:21   #414
BHPian

I have read in many places that better tyres aid better braking, which is why I have decided to upgrade to better and wider tyres. Would better tyres fare better in potential wheel-lockup situations?
Old 12th July 2012, 15:27   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Buddy! You still awake! Check this out quickly and get some sleep before the trip tomorrow.
Actually I'm going on Saturday. thanks for the link, it has a lot of information for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Just find an empty backroad, and brake to the hilt from even 20-30 kmph.
If you don't lockup, or if you can spot staggered kids, youre OK.
Will try this out tonight. I could not understand what you meant by "spot staggered kids" :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Ankan - May I know the reason for doubting the ABS working in your car? In fact the ABS activating would be more prouncedly felt in cleaned brakes.
I called up the workshop guy too. He told me ABS system has not been affected during brake cleaning. Will test it again tonight when traffic becomes less.
Old 12th July 2012, 15:44   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will try this out tonight. I could not understand what you meant by "spot staggered kids" :(

What the hell did i write??????

I meant staggered skids, like this:
The ABS discussion thread-ouglbj.jpg
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 22:14   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have read in many places that better tyres aid better braking, which is why I have decided to upgrade to better and wider tyres. Would better tyres fare better in potential wheel-lockup situations?
Wheel lock up happens when your tyres lose traction. When you have tyres with better grip, the tyres can hold on to the road surface better and hence reduce stopping distances. With wider tyres the contact patch of the tyre is more than a narrow tyre, so it offers better grip. Not just wider tyres, even the same size tyre with high quality rubber compound can offer better grip than the OE tyres.

Drop your speeds when you sense that the road is slippery due to wet conditions or due to sand or gravel. Maintain safe distances, so that you don't have to hit your brakes hard. Wheels never lock up when you brake gradually. Watch your mirrors. If you feel someone is driving too close for comfort behind you, let him pass.

ABS is one safety feature which I wish is made mandatory in all automobiles. It is one thing feeling comfortable that 'I drive a car with ABS', but at the same time we are driving on roads where about 8 out of 10 vehicles do not have ABS.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th July 2012 at 22:18.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 00:53   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

The tire is the main thing between you and the road. It does not matter how good your brakes are (or what gadgets they include) if your tires can't grip. Equally, it doesn't matter how powerful your engine is if your tires can't transmit that power.

At least, we should make sure that our tires have good tread and proper pressure. I'm particularly bad at remembering the pressure.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:50   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm particularly bad at remembering the pressure.
I hear you G.. Especially when it gets confusing between the bike and the car. After repeating this mistake twice, I made it a point to right down the pressure on a piece of paper and slip it in my wallet so that every time I go for a refill, all I need to do is check it up on my note before the pump guy tries the usual 25-35 technique..
Old 13th July 2012, 14:48   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

I may get thrown out of the forum for admitting this, but I am so bad about regular pressure checks that I often only realize that air is needed because the steering is feeling stiff. By this time, the lack of pressure is visually obvious! By the time that happens, not only is the steering affected, but the tire walls are being stressed in a way that can affect the safety and life of the tire.

How can I be so stupid when I know all this?

Answers, on a postcard... ... ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks