Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

This fear is at the back of my mind so I have not installed central locking yet. In case of impact cum fire, there will barely be time to open the doors and scram, leave alone fancy work with hammers etc.
Old 2nd August 2009, 21:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This fear is at the back of my mind so I have not installed central locking yet.
Did your car not come equipped with central locking? ...as opposed to remote controlled central locking....
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Did your car not come equipped with central locking? ...as opposed to remote controlled central locking....
No central locking of any kind.
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:00   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
in case of a hatch, you can release the hatch door and get out thataway if you can
In hatches like Alto/M800, the boot is locked with a key from outside. So how can we make an emergency exit ?
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Well here's my point, What in the case you meet in an accident & you are unconsious inside. There are bystanders to help but cannot do anything as the doors are locked.
My point here is why drive with the doors locked ( child locks should be used when needed ). I had a 800 with a central locking fitted. I had specifically asked him switch off this system which locks all the doors when the car starts.
Let me give you a couple of reasons to keep the doors locked.

1. I have my laptop bag in the passenger seat or the rear seat while going to office. While idle at a signal, what if someone opens the door and escape with my laptop?

2. Our signals are infested with beggars and eunuchs. I wouldn't want to be in a situation wherein they discover the car doors to be unlocked.

There can be numerous other reasons.
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:28   #21
BHPian

"Impact Sensing Auto Door Unlocking" comes standard in all i20 models and in i10 asta. I assume this will override any manual/remote/central locking in case of an impact.
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

1. I have my laptop bag in the passenger seat or the rear seat while going to office. While idle at a signal, what if someone opens the door and escape with my laptop?

2. Our signals are infested with beggars and eunuchs. I wouldn't want to be in a situation wherein they discover the car doors to be unlocked.

There can be numerous other reasons.
Exactly! The Silicon Sytems burglar alarm/central locking locks all the doors the moment the car is started. Even then I make sure all doors are locked before driving off. There have been cases where those street urchins and beggars have actually opened the rear door and come and sat right inside the car a couple of times, in my friend's car!
Old 3rd August 2009, 06:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
"Impact Sensing Auto Door Unlocking" comes standard in all i20 models and in i10 asta. I assume this will override any manual/remote/central locking in case of an impact.
Opel Corsa also comes with "Impact sensing Auto Door Unlocking & Fuel cut off"
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:41   #24
BHPian

I had read this somewhere.

If you are stuck in a situation, where there is no other alternative but to break a window/windshield, you can pull our the Head Restraint from the back of your seat (or the co-drivers) and use that to smash the glass.
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:55   #25
Team-BHP Support

Have you tried opening the car from inside with central locking engagaged? Its possible. Just turn the lock and open. Atmost the alarm will start ringing.
Unless its different in the swift where you cant even twist the locks to open from inside.
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I had read this somewhere.

If you are stuck in a situation, where there is no other alternative but to break a window/windshield, you can pull our the Head Restraint from the back of your seat (or the co-drivers) and use that to smash the glass.
Yup this works in an ideal situation. But what if you are low on energy levels post impact ?

In the ZXi, the doors unlock once the key is removed from Ignition. Not sure how it is in other models/retrofitted stuff. But guess this is kinda enough to get out with minimal efforts.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:59   #27
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
There have been cases where those street urchins and beggars have actually opened the rear door and come and sat right inside the car
This is shocking. Happened once to me and a friend who was taking his brand new A-Star home. We had stopped at a signal and the second he turned off the engine, the doors automatically unlocked and a guy who was selling magazines on the road jumped in the back seat much to the horror of my friend's girl who was in the back.

We had to tweak the security system so that this feature was disabled.
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Umm.

Junta question is different. What if the impact JAMS the door - then?

i.e neither door lock nor hatch release will work!
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:14   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

My laptop is on the front passenger seat and its strap goes thru my seat belt.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:41   #30
BHPian

During impact it quite possible that doors are jammed not due to failure of the locking mechanisms, but due to structural deformities to the chasis itself. In such a case the best way would be to break glass. The victorinox thingy and the other gadget posted earlier, at a glance, do not seem as if they would help easily in an emergency situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks