Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 16:47   #91
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Just did. Fantastic start! Have you thought of making a ten commandments kind of crisp list - ten or less, or it gets to be laundry list, five may be optimum - that every subscriber to these can stick on the back of his vehicle. Both with pride, and with the consequence of being embarrassed if violated?!
Sawyer,

How about these 5 for a start:

1. I will not drink and drive
2. I will not jump a red light
3. I will follow lane discipline
4. I will wear my seatbelt/helmet
5. I will not use the mobile phone when driving

Regards,
gpa
Old 27th August 2009, 17:21   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Sawyer,

Regards,
gpa
Very good, I think! Maybe we can have more views, on the basis that if they add one they need to specify which one goes out. Else we will have soon have 25!
Also, I am not sure that number 3 is clear enough, and needs some articulation. I am guessing there will be lot of debate about just what is meant by lane discipline.
Old 27th August 2009, 18:10   #93
BHPian

Probably, replacing the "follow lane discipline" with "stick to speed limits" might be better.

P.S. I am sure to receive brickbats for this, as the speed limits in our roads are never adhered to.
Old 27th August 2009, 18:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

Maybe we need to look to ensure that these are more generic things that take into account local conditions. Lots of places, no one knows what the limit is. Some of them are even too low to be followed, like the 80km one on the e way. A car observing that one will end up being a nuisance to the trucks in their lane! I am not saying that only laws considered correct are to be followed, all I am suggesting is that there may be a simpler and equally effective top 5 from a prioritization standpoint.
Old 27th August 2009, 18:52   #95
BHPian

In this exercise, the emphasis should be more on not endangering other road users than on personal safety actions, though those are of course important too. From what I have seen a fair amount of city drivers buckle up while the helmet rule among riders is more unpopular.

So I suggest replacing "I will wear my seatbelt/helmet" with "I won't drive on the wrong side of the road, even for a few feet".

Not talking about occasions when one goes for a few seconds to the other side while overtaking but about deliberately taking the wrong side to avoid u-turns or or going the wrong way up one-ways.

The lane discipline concept is one of those that are least understood by Indian drivers and so a more specific one may work better. I suggest changing it to "I will signal lane changes in advance as much as possible."

Last edited by straightdrive : 27th August 2009 at 18:53.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:11   #96
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am guessing there will be lot of debate about just what is meant by lane discipline.
You are right. We should come up with a few water tight ones that leave no ambiguity, yet are clear enough to convey the message in one line on a sticker. Lane disciplin in this case would amount to sticking to the right lane when driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
From what I have seen a fair amount of city drivers buckle up while the helmet rule among riders is more unpopular.
In Bangalore, neither of these are popular. Even if it were, most driver don't wear seatbelts and if the cops start stopping vehicles, it will lead to a traffic pile up, which is why they chose to ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
I suggest changing it to "I will signal lane changes in advance as much as possible."
I agree, but then again doesn't the word 'advance' leave room for ambiguity?
Old 27th August 2009, 20:25   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantumadhu View Post
I have started an NGO called SOCH. All are welcome to support in whichever way possible. Please have a look at soch.in
Something similar called "SPTM - Save Pune Traffic Movement" exists in Pune too. Here's the link for their website: New Page 1

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th August 2009 at 20:26.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:38   #98
BHPian

Quote:
..........I agree, but then again doesn't the word 'advance' leave room for ambiguity?
The word "advance" was put in just to mean that the signal should be before the turn and not during or after the turn, as often happens. Maybe we could just say "I will change lanes only after signalling/indicating the change".
Old 27th August 2009, 20:50   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Sawyer,

gpa

+

6) I will give way

7) I will not use high beam during city driving and when there is oncoming traffic on highways.

8) I will respect pedestrian crossings

9) I will not try to intimidate

10) I will keep my vehicle properly maintained

I think the term 'lane discipline' is apt as it includes everything like sticking to speed limits, giving proper warning before changing lanes etc.
Old 27th August 2009, 21:31   #100
Senior - BHPian

11. I will not start moving before the red changes to green, even if a 20 Tonne Dumper behind me makes threatening moves.
Old 28th August 2009, 06:50   #101
Senior - BHPian

As I wrote, I am not sure that adding on is a good idea. We will soon cross 25! Thoughts of a different top 5 would be a better place to start, I suggest.
Old 28th August 2009, 08:38   #102
BANNED

How about

"I will not upgrade my headlamps to illegal wattages"?

Amazing how this practice is blatantly encouraged on this forum!!
Old 28th August 2009, 08:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
How about

"I will not upgrade my headlamps to illegal wattages"?

Amazing how this practice is blatantly encouraged on this forum!!
You think that is the only one???
Old 28th August 2009, 10:45   #104
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You think that is the only one???
Well said Sawyer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
11. I will not start moving before the red changes to green, even if a 20 Tonne Dumper behind me makes threatening moves.
Gansan,

Your resolve truly inspires me. However, my friend was a victim to this when a bus driver nudged into the back of his vehicle as he refused to move at a red light. The boot door and bumper was dented.
Old 1st September 2009, 07:49   #105

The 5 commandments are great but the problem with lanes is that broad 4 lane roads become 2 lane or even single lanes in India so if we have to create awareness about sticking to lanes how do we solve this problem.
The rest are great and just by following them road fatalities can be significantly reduced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks