Team-BHP - Safe Driving in the Rains
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Safe Driving in the Rains (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/41953-safe-driving-rains-36.html)

I used Proklear NGS (Nano Glass Sealant) on my WagonR for 3 good years before selling it off. It served the purpose really well. The need, thus frequency of using wipers reduced during the rainy seasons (city+highways). It also helped a little bit to cut the glare at nights. No negative impact on the windshield observed. Would definitely recommend it!

Thanks, GTO for the informative thread. I was about to request this after reading recently posted Morning or evening drive thread.

Could any of our members give few tips for enthusiasts for lite wet roads? Thanks.

It is unfortunate that this thread is already flooded with too my posts and one has to read all of them, just in case any Bhpian contributed useful information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 4828185)
Could any of our members give few tips for enthusiasts for lite wet roads? Thanks.

Drive slowly; keep double the distance from vehicle in front. End of advice.

Quote:

It is unfortunate that this thread is already flooded with too my posts and one has to read all of them, just in case any Bhpian contributed useful information.
It's a forum. That's what happens.

For fogging windshield, I keep a garland of silica gel packs on my dashboard. Works like magic! No fogging since last 3 monsoons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 4828185)

I think we're pretty fortunate to have so much information at our disposal! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pintz (Post 4828280)
For fogging windshield, I keep a garland of silica gel packs on my dashboard. Works like magic! No fogging since last 3 monsoons.

Wow! That's interesting. Did you do a DYI to make it as 'Garland' OR is it available off the shelf? :confused:

If possible, could you please share a picture.

Thanks for sharing. The details are really informative.
The thing that worries me the most is the water logging, with Indian roads we can never be sure about its depth and the worst thing that can hepen is the car getting stalled in the middle of a puddle. So as rightly mentioned - take an alternate route.

Not sure if this is mentioned before. This is on taking care during monsoon than driving in rain. One of my uncle told me this.

Tip: Avoid driving or road trips during fist few days of rains. This is to avoid dangers by falling trees, land slides, slippery road due to oil spills which is not washed over yet etc.
All these hazards will occur mostly during first few rains and its relatively safer later on.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS (Post 4827951)
I used Proklear NGS (Nano Glass Sealant) on my WagonR for 3 good years before selling it off. It served the purpose really well. The need, thus frequency of using wipers reduced during the rainy seasons (city+highways). It also helped a little bit to cut the glare at nights. No negative impact on the windshield observed. Would definitely recommend it!

Is this the one: https://www.amazon.in/Proklear-Winds.../dp/B00QMMQGVM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 4831251)

Yes, That is the one. Make sure you follow all the instructions carefully.

If you are also going to try out the "Free" anti-fog product then be extra careful as it hazes the windshield from inside affecting the visibility if applied incorrectly. It is not an easy product to apply. One can achieve perfection through trial and error method only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS (Post 4831302)
Yes, That is the one. Make sure you follow all the instructions carefully.

If you are also going to try out the "Free" anti-fog product then be extra careful as it hazes the windshield from inside affecting the visibility if applied incorrectly. It is not an easy product to apply. One can achieve perfection through trial and error method only.

Can you please explain the application process?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 4831304)
Can you please explain the application process?

Apologies man, I don't remember the process anymore. I would follow the instructions mentioned on the label and in case of doubts, would get in touch with the manufacturer before the application.

Yes,mithun, as MunnabhaiMBBS says, simply follow the instructions -- clean surfaces with soapy water, apply pre-cleaner, wipe, and apply the actual solution. I vaguely remember having done that some 4-5 years ago !

Though I beg to differ on one point -- I found the anti fog more useful, and later bought a bigger pack from AMAZON.IN. Still use it every few days before driving in the rains, particularly on the rear glass.

These are some tips that might be helpful while driving in heavy rains:-

1.Take your time- Slow down to help avoid hydroplaning. Also, one of the most dangerous
times to drive can be soon after it begins to rain. The rain can cause oils on a roadway to
rise to the surface and make conditions slick. Waiting a while after rains begin, rather than rushing to your destination, can be a safer plan when it is raining.

2.Turn your lights on- Turning on your headlights can help you to see more clearly and also helps other vehicles see you.

3.Give other vehicles more space- Add 1-2 extra seconds of following time in the rain, which gives you, and the cars behind you, more time to react to traffic.

With the monsoons arriving soon, I thought to bump this thread up. Which rain water repellant is recommended to be used on windshield and rear view mirror and how to apply it ? Any tips and suggestions are most welcome. Thanks in advance. Drive safe :)