Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2020, 10:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: International Road Accidents

A close look at the video also reveals that there was a human near the median next to the shrubs. Did the Tesla AI algorithm decide that going straight instead of turning to either hit the human or the cars in the next lane was the best logical decision? This is not an excuse for not braking thought.
Also, apparently drivers who use selfdrive cars are apparently 'disconnected' from the car habitually and become oblivious of surroundings and the need for emergency input.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:09   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Despite the front head-on collision into a stationary box truck while slowing from highway speeds, the Model 3's airbags did not even deploy.
I wonder if the airbags didn't deploy because it was somewhat of a "soft landing" -- hitting the top of the container, which is a fairly thin sheet of metal.

Also terribly lucky for the driver that he hit the soft top-side of the truck, rather than the hard bottom / chassis.

As for the autopilot failuer, I'm sure the large white expanse on the road is something that the software just couldn't deduce, and probably thought it was glare or something like that.

I am surprised that other (non-visual) sensors didn't pick it up at all...

A few days back I saw this "Tesla avoids pig" video, and it was pretty amazing. Probably the sharpest & quickest autonomous move I've seen:

Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 20:05   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
Now after 4 years if similar thing happens then it indeed is quite worrying. Was this a software bug that did not get rectified on time?
Yes, this accident is similar to another accident with a semi. Autopilot's cameras will not be able to differentiate between a clear sky and a white semi when it is quite far. The use of Lidars would have made early detection possible and also avoided the crash.

Currently, Tesla is dependent on vision (camera) systems, radars, and ultrasonic sensors. Its high time Tesla realizes the limitations of vision systems and starts looks at Lidars.

Last edited by katchkamalesh : 19th June 2020 at 20:08.
katchkamalesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 08:48   #79
Senior - BHPian

The driver of a minivan was speeding down the 91 Freeway with a motorcycle wrapped around the front bumper the scene took place around 7 pm on Friday in California on the eastbound lanes in Corona.

Motorcyclist said he was thrown 200 feet away due to the impact.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/hit-and-run-d...y-crazy-video/

Last edited by Venkatesh : 23rd June 2020 at 08:59.
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The driver of a minivan was speeding down the 91 Freeway with a motorcycle wrapped around the front bumper
What? He didn't realize he got a bike stuck on it or was he trying to flee. The cameraman did a splendid job, perfectly positioned.
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
A smashed Range Rover
Thats absolute carnage! I cant imagine what speeds was he doing especially given this looks like a part of the city/residential area. Very very scary.
Old 29th June 2020, 00:51   #82
BANNED

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Came across this scary footage of an accident in youtube.
I am not able to find any news article regarding this accident. It stunned me numb. It also made me wonder that inspite of stressing on build quality, crash testing and defensive driving, every single safe journey requires God's grace.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th June 2020 at 09:19. Reason: Replaced dead youtube URL with another one. Thanks.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 01:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Came across this scary footage of an accident in Youtube.
I am not able to find any news article regarding this accident. It stunned me numb. It also made me wonder that inspite of stressing on build quality, crash testing and defensive driving, every single safe journey requires God's grace.
It's a scary accident no doubt. I think the reason you are not able to find the news article is because it's not from India. The cars and the SUV don't look like any Indian models to me.

I can't understand the language that well so i am not sure what is being said.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th June 2020 at 05:23. Reason: Video link deleted from quote
Old 29th June 2020, 01:08   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
The news article claims the accident to have supposedly taken place in Kengeri on Mysore road, just outside Bangalore. The article also adds that the number of casualities is unknown.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 29th June 2020 at 01:10.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:14   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Google Translate can, at last, do real-time (see it on the screen) Tamil -> English text translation. Which is a boon for me! But...

None the less, some of the comments calling out the news channel are in English, agree that it is not India, and might be from Russia.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:18   #86
BHPian

The video says it is Kengeri on the Bangalore-Mysore highway but the comments under the video say it is from Russia.

Was able to find this news article online confirming the same.

Surprised a fairly mainstream news channel carried this without verifying. Quite obvious it aint Bangalore.
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 01:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Came across this scary footage of an accident in Youtube.
That's blatant misuse of a footage by a news channel. It's quite obvious it's not India. None of the vehicles in that video looks Indian. The lead truck looks like a Hino to me.

A news channel desperately looking for some 'breaking news' is all I can see. Having said that, a lot of innocent people may have died in that accident because of one stupid man. Sad indeed!
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 07:02   #88
BANNED

Now that we know it to have happened in Russia, there is a high chance of this to have been the result of proverbial brake failure too. Anyways, this video had further shaken my view on cars, especially the ground-hugging coupes, and had left my preference for lorries-size RVs better reinforced.
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

Cadillac Eldorado sped through the fence at an auto dealership in Miami, Florida. The owner of the dealership says a total of six vehicles were hit, and the damage is estimated at $100,000.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/07/ca...ously-survive/
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 21:30   #90
BHPian

While honesty of Dubai Police is well known, I relate here an accident in which I was a party and a happy ending for all.

Year 1997-98 : Place : Dubai

On weekly off, day (Friday) the roads were usually empty in the afternoon. I was called by a friend of mine and I started from my home in battle tank like strong Ford Topaz, driving in the Fast Lane approaching a roundabout. Just before that, I overtook a battered old Car, (Ajman registered) driven by an Indian Lady in the middle lane . So, theoretically, at the exit of roundabout, I should have taken Left Turn, while she should have continued straight. But, while I continued straight, she tried to turn Left and kissed my Car in the middle. As I was travelling fast, all her front was scraped off, dragged away and spread all over on the road. All that damage to her Car, with hardly a visible mark on my Car speaks volume of its strong body. Her Car being registered in another state, I assume her to be unfamiliar with the roads of Dubai and probably changed her course.
The Policeman came, saw the accident and asked us about it.
Conclusion : It was decided to be my fault as, I was in fast lane (extreme Left Lane) and should have turned Left.
I protested that she was driving in the Middle Lane, so she should have proceeded straight. Besides, if she intended to turn Left, she should have seen my Car, and let it pass. Another strong reason - before entering the Roundabout, the road marking allowed the Lane I was in, to, "Turn Left or Proceed Straight".
At this juncture, he whispered to me, "Look at the loss she has suffered while not a scratch on your Car" and looked at me meaningfully.
During those days, there was no penalty of any sort on the erring driver for causing accident.
I understood his point, smiled and accepted it to be my fault. He smiled too and thanked me.
Result : It was decided to be my fault and my Insurance Company was going to get her Car repaired. The Cop must have checked that her old Car to be with Third Party Insurance, so got her compensated somehow.

So, he played Robin Hood at no loss to me.
Amrik Singh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks