Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 17:27   #1471
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

In Bangalore, it's very easy. 99% are bad.
People here are mostly working in IT sec and supposedly literate (I am deliberately not using the word educated )
Now if you see the way people ride and drive here, you will know that this is the most unruly city traffic sense wise.
Jerks in even high end cars do honk when stopped on a red signal.

We constantly blame rick guys, truck drivers, BMTC guys etc. And when we discuss how rash they are, we don't think how rashly we too drive.

To put it one word, driving here is like playing a video game, only difference being life of others and yours at stake. Not one bit of exaggeration, believe me.

I thought Bombay was bad (was in B'by for good 10+ yrs).
After driving in B'lore, I feel B'by is heaven.

Actually, the heading should have been "How do you spot good drivers?"

Last edited by bkbkr1212 : 14th December 2010 at 17:29. Reason: added one more senetence
Old 14th December 2010, 17:43   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Now if you see the way people ride and drive here, you will know that this is the most unruly city traffic sense wise.
if you think Bangalore is bad, head to Chennai! you'll pull out your hair and end up bald! i was there just for few days and the traffic drove me nuts! i couldn't wait to get back to Bangalore.

Quote:
Actually, the heading should have been "How do you spot good drivers?"
seriously. can we have a thread like that? would be nice.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:45   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Just wait till you drive in Hyderabad. You will think you have inadvertently entered into the world of the game "Road Rash" and playing on Level 5 .
Old 14th December 2010, 17:57   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Just wait till you drive in Hyderabad. You will think you have inadvertently entered into the world of the game "Road Rash" and playing on Level 5.
BTDTGTTS

had road-tripped to HYD in 2001 on my CBZ (night ride). spent a month or so there working with an NGO.

got almost run over many times; man, people just don't follow traffic rules. once on the way to Tarnaka saw a scooter bang into a auto. both parties get out and are at each others neck. guess what the traffic cop was doing - laughing his butt off!
Old 14th December 2010, 18:18   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
if you think Bangalore is bad, head to Chennai! you'll pull out your hair and end up bald! i was there just for few days and the traffic drove me nuts! i couldn't wait to get back to Bangalore.
seriously. can we have a thread like that? would be nice.
No no, I am already going bald though I like calling it a big forehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Just wait till you drive in Hyderabad. You will think you have inadvertently entered into the world of the game "Road Rash" and playing on Level 5 .
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
BTDTGTTS

had road-tripped to HYD in 2001 on my CBZ (night ride). spent a month or so there working with an NGO.

got almost run over many times; man, people just don't follow traffic rules. once on the way to Tarnaka saw a scooter bang into a auto. both parties get out and are at each others neck. guess what the traffic cop was doing - laughing his butt off!
Looks like all the cities in South are baaaad....

And have anyone wondered why only private cars are caught for speeding? Cabs,Volvo, BMTC etc can do whatever crap they want and still cops do nothing about it.
We are made to pay tax too for bearing up with these stupidities
Old 14th December 2010, 18:20   #1476
Senior - BHPian

^^ each city's driver thinks their's is bad. I was in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Pune and I dont see any major difference. In Hyd and Pune however people fight a lot.
Old 15th December 2010, 11:48   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
^^ each city's driver thinks their's is bad. I was in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Pune and I dont see any major difference. In Hyd and Pune however people fight a lot.
I think the drivers have reached their frustration limit- trying to deal with hoinkers, rash drivers, lane cutters etc. An argument is always waiting to erupt at the smallest situation.

The infrastructure along with the chaos has made the pleasure of driving only a dream which never will come to reality !
Old 20th December 2010, 20:00   #1478
BHPian

The saddest part is the un-restricted freedom for every Tom, Dick and Harry to drive any vehicle he/she chooses, with our without any money. The undeserving power goes to the head and the issue is of one-up-manship.

First and foremost, the govt. ought to put a cap on the number of vehicles the city can take, depending upon the roads available at the disposal of the city. No new vehicles should be brought in unless equal number of older vehicles are scrapped.

Secondly, like in Armies abroad - especially Israel, I don't know about the Indian Army, where every recruit/ soldier/officer right upto the topmost General has to regularly and periodically go in for a fresh training and re-orientation - all the drivers should be required to go in for a fresh intensive driving and road manners test periodically and regularly, which would weed out the 'un-wanteds', provided this testing is done by Army standards, without any graft or 'mamool' greasing the hands of the inspector/s - of course with Adarsh and other scandals, this too is just a day-dream, with the defense loosing all its self esteem, all because of its own doings.

All of this needs a very strong and impartial political will for the welfare of the country with National Pride, which is totally missing all through and through. So let us wait till Utopia come...and till then pay the penalty for being on the road...
Old 21st December 2010, 12:39   #1479
Senior - BHPian

look at this one! he's come with his family to see a flat in a apartment block. parks the car smack in the middle of the road blocking the other lane and just leaves! comes back 30-45mins later and by then his 'parking' has caused few vehicles to back up and reroute.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc00428.jpg

and this is the smarta$$ who thinks he can park anywhere he pleases!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc00429.jpg
Old 21st December 2010, 14:14   #1480
BHPian

We will not be able to resurrect the whole world. Here at Mumbai, We have a Club called Responsible Road Users Union - the members do not cross any red light and follow all traffic rules. When the light is red, stop before the crossing line and most of the fellow carwalas would follow. It may not be possible to control two wheelers. Do not move your vehicle till signal turns green.

I do not get tensed in road for any reason whatever be the provocation. Always drive defensively and follow all traffic rules. people may call you mad but you will be wiser in the long run.

Drive fast...but safely.
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:36   #1481
Senior - BHPian

one would think people with bigger cars would at least have some some common sense, but don't think it applies to this woman!! Indira Nagar this afternoon. the signal is red for her side, but still she makes her way from the other side of the road and stops the car almost middle of the intersection! and no, it not like the traffic was moving and all of a sudden she saw the red light and stopped - that's not it! my God the audacity of some people!!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc00452.jpg
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:38   #1482
BHPian

I was also thinking on those lines. People with big, flashy and costly cars would be well behaved on the road. Recently I was going on foot and had to cross a road. Waited for the signal to turn green. As soon as I started, once the signal turned green, a BMW gentleman (can I call him so!) blocked my whole way moving forward. When I pointed him the signal and his mistake, he asked me whether I am a cop . He gave me an earful. Of course i retorted and asked him to be cool and drive home safely.
Old 26th December 2010, 12:11   #1483
Senior - BHPian

no comments!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag1357.jpg
Old 26th December 2010, 12:16   #1484
BHPian

^^ did you blank out his number or there was no number :-)
Old 26th December 2010, 12:22   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ did you blank out his number or there was no number :-)
to hide his/her identity, i blanked it out

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks