Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2024, 20:56   #12781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

One retard in a WagonR (6058) came too close to my car in traffic and brushed the co-driver side. The impact was at crawling speeds so I let it go and continued on my way. Got down to inspect the damage at the next traffic light and thankfully there was none (foot step saved the day). While getting in, I saw this guy further ahead in traffic, bullying adjacent cars for no reason by getting really close to them. Some people never learn from their mistakes.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_2745.jpeg
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2024, 20:35   #12782
BHPian

Two kinds of trucks to stay far away from:

1. Dump trucks: these monsters not only pelt other vehicles with debris when loaded, they often have zero functioning tail lamps, like the example below, making them a massive hazard at night.

2. Overloaded vehicles like the 2nd example below. They drive slow as snails, and due to overloading take forever to respond to changes in traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_8647.jpeg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_8653.jpeg  

Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2024, 11:03   #12783
BHPian

Q: How many bad drivers would you spot/encounter within a 30 min ride?

A: Seven. 6 on two wheelers and 1 crazy school bus driver.

Today morning, my son missed his school bus and so I had to go drop him. It usually takes between 30-40 mins for me to drop him and return home. It took me exactly 30 min today and within thin half an hour, I almost lost my will to drive.

3 bike riders, without a care in the world, overtaking other cars, immediately come in front of them and slowed down as if saying, Aa bail mujhe maar!!

3 bike riders busy on their phones without a clue that their bikes, instead of going north, was heading northeast on a busy main road.

The last of these was the last case I encountered and by then I had enough, so I lowered my window and asked him to concentrate on the road ahead. Without showing any signs of regret or giving any reaction, he simply gave a dumb look. Still fuming, I looked in my rear view and what I saw left me scratching my head. That moron simply changed his lane and continued to type on his phone while driving.

But the scariest of all was the school bus (it was a private bus, not the typical yellow colored operated by school). It was in an absolute shabby condition. It came down a flyover leaf in front of me and was completely tilted on its right. So much so that a fellow in an Ertiga which was next to it, immediately moved further right. For a second even I thought the bus would topple.

After crossing underneath the flyover, it took the left leaf again to go up, and it once again dangerously tilted right. At this point I overtook it and that is when I saw through the window that it was carrying school kids.

I noted the school board in the front and after reaching home, gave the school a call and reported the incident and bus details. Hope they will take some action.

Quite and eventful morning ride I had.

P.S. Sorry no pics as I was driving.

Last edited by GTX+ : 30th September 2024 at 11:04.
GTX+ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2024, 18:35   #12784
BHPian

Another reason to keep a safe distance from commercial vehicles, especially these rashly driven tempos, and especially during the rains.
This tire is balder than my head.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_8680.jpeg  

Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2024, 14:39   #12785

Apathy of people on Indian roads

Writing this with a heavy heart.

Just a month ago, we brought home a new member in our garage, a beautiful Kia Seltos HTX IVT in Black colour.

It replaced our trusty old Honda City that dutifully served us for 9 whole years without any repairs or problems.

In the first month of ownership itself, we had a week long trip planned to Shimla (beautiful weather!), and hence could not completely enjoy the car.

Since then, it has been a breeze. At first, I was a little unsure of the car. Coming from a Japanese car with a motor that loves to rev, I had my reservations about the power delivery and handling of Hyundai-Kia cars. But the car quickly did away with my worries. The motor is a beaut, and oh the interiors! The plushness is 70% of a GLA, at just 33% of the cost (no offence Mercedes owners). I've been slowly but surely loving the car.

The care on my part has also been utmost. I ensure the car is always parked in a covered area, I don't take it to traffic heavy places, and don't park it irresponsibly.

Alas, no matter what you do, there is one idiot on the road who ruins it for everybody. Yesterday, while I was dropping off a business associate, there came a road with bottlenecked traffic. Now, the road itself was quite narrow but it was manageable.

This idiot, in a Suzuki XL6, from the opposite direction and is parked parallel to me. In front of me was a tempo that was stalled due to the traffic ahead. So while I was waiting for the forward traffic to clear, the XL6, without any pause, swerved to the right, hit the rear of my car, and ran off.

I got out of my car and ran behind it, but this man got scared and ran away. I managed to get a picture of the plates.

Through the plates, I somehow found the name of the owner, tracked down his business, and got a hold of his phone number.

Very calmly, I called the guy, with the intention of asking for his insurance and settling this matter amicably.

The man, an absolutely pathetic individual, said he did nothing wrong and did not hit my car. And that he has dashcam footage of the same. I asked him to share the same and he said "no it's my personal property". When I told him that I'll approach a legal route, he said "police kuch nahi kar sakti" and hung up.

He blocked my calls and I tried calling from multiple numbers. He blocked all numbers. Finally, I saved his number and sent on WhatsApp a picture of the damage.

S**t hit the roof. Man unblocked me and called. Now, his story completely changes. He says that there was contact with the car, but that I damaged his car. A straight up lie. How is that even possible? My vehicle was stalled by the traffic ahead, and was hence stationery. How can I hit his vehicle of mine isn't moving and he swerved right into me? The man then goes onto claim that I have "harrassed" him by contacting him again and again.

I went on to send him proofs and calmly discussing the situation, but he has neither communicated or even read my messages.

The only option I am left with, is to go to the police, which is what I will be doing. Wish me luck with the paperwork.

It is simply appalling how people blatantly lie just to not have to pay a few thousands. What's the point of driving a 15 lakh car if they can't even afford to pay for damages they cause to offers?Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_9108.jpeg
iceguy101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2024, 22:00   #12786
BHPian

One of the biggest hazards on our fancy new expressways - people entering from exits to avoid paying toll and access the highway from the spot that is most convenient for them.
Till this third world mindset stays our roads will continue to be death traps.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_8846.jpeg  

Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2024, 14:31   #12787
Distinguished - BHPian

A classic example of VIP culture

Wonder what important work requires such haste.

PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2024, 14:57   #12788
BHPian

The bane of our roads: idiots randomly stopping when and where they want.

This “gentleman” chose to stop his WagonR on the extremely busy Sion-Panvel highway for a bathroom break, that too during peak commute time.

No consideration for others’ convenience or safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_8893.jpeg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th October 2024 at 07:17. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 15th October 2024, 17:34   #12789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
A classic example of VIP culture

Wonder what important work requires such haste.
Prassy, I think it's not about any urgent work that requires such haste. It's a safety measure when the convoy contains a VIP, to avoid exposure to any possible untoward incident (like shootout/ assassination attempt etc) which is quite plausible if the convoy moved slowly & stopped at signal etc. Any slow moving car / convoy could be ambushed and the VIP will be a sitting duck for the potential trouble makers.

So, the idea is to be very swift on road to eliminate any such chances / attempts. A fast moving car is a difficult target.

So, the next question will be, these VIPs (politicians and /or senior bureaucrats) are essentially public servants and if they are scared of public than they shouldn't be holding their position. While that argument holds water, it's also true that in the world's largest democracy like ours with 140+ Crores population with such varied, diversified & polarised views / opinions/ thought process, there will always be someone/ some groups that will oppose those in power and that essentially poses risk to their safety and thus the need for VIP convoy being very swift on public roads.

Last edited by ashkamath : 15th October 2024 at 17:41.
ashkamath is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2024, 02:57   #12790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

So, the idea is to be very swift on road to eliminate any such chances / attempts. A fast moving car is a difficult target.
Simple question to ask is, does the road rules - speed limits, lane change , overtakes, honking etc. apply to them or not? Because I have been bullied by these VIP convoy pilot drivers before for just being on the road minding my business.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2024, 11:14   #12791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Simple question to ask is, does the road rules - speed limits, lane change , overtakes, honking etc. apply to them or not? Because I have been bullied by these VIP convoy pilot drivers before for just being on the road minding my business.
Legally every citizen of India is bound by the rules and regulations of road usage including the central government politicians.

However it's a different matter that the political convoys break many a rule while traversing the road. In a country where an average politician/ bureaucrat is egoistic and thinks he/she is above the law of the land and exercises his/her power in contravention to the law of land, such road rules breaking is a normal than an exception.

Changes have to come from political class. Remember earlier every two-bit politician and bureaucrat flaunted a red beacon on his / her official and sometimes their personal car. Now the red beacons have disappeared after the change in law and strict implementation.

So, it's a matter of political will and maturity of democracy that as we go ahead, we might see some strict rules / actions/ laws in this regard too..

Till then, the average citizen suffers from such high-handed behaviour and actions of the power corridor.
ashkamath is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2024, 19:39   #12792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Remember earlier every two-bit politician and bureaucrat flaunted a red beacon on his / her official and sometimes their personal car. Now the red beacons have disappeared after the change in law and strict implementation.
Interesting you bring this up because what has happened in the last 1 year in Tamil Nadu is every two-bit politician is using Red & Blue flashing LED strobes in their car grill.

When they started popping up, when seeing them in the rear-view mirror, I used to get aside and let them go only to realize they are not police or VIPs but nobodies using 500rs lights installed in some car accessories shop. It has become very pervasive in the last few months.
Yieldway17 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2024, 02:19   #12793
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I've noticed this. The VIP beacon is back.
Old 20th October 2024, 16:24   #12794
BHPian

1) Dzire driver turns the left indicator on and starts drifting to the right. Just as I am about to overtake turns right indicator on cuts the lane

2) Guy casually drives across the highway despite seeing my car. I had to break hard on wet road to avoid T-boning him

JoeMichael is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2024, 18:27   #12795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
2) Guy casually drives across the highway despite seeing my car. I had to break hard on wet road to avoid T-boning him

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=as6h54wA2To
On a wet road you are doing 90 KMPH. While the road is empty, I personally would never go beyond 80 KMPH. That possible accident though (with the Beat) can happen at any speed if you the driver is not extra cautious. Good that you kept your eye on the road ahead.

I am appalled at the speed that blue Alto/Celerio was doing on this wet rainy day
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed