Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2024, 12:39   #12706
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Wonder what rush he is in to do this, he had to overtake and get to the left most lane in the curve at a blind spot of the bus.
Let me make a wild guess. Perhaps he is getting late to attend his parent's marriage?
Old 16th August 2024, 12:56   #12707
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Wonder what rush he is in to do this. I noticed him approaching in RVM and left space in right lane so that he would overtake me and keep the rightmost lane. But no, he had to overtake and get to the left most lane in the curve at a blind spot of the bus.
Unfortunately there are dime a dozen such guys on our roads and they’re DFD Designed for disaster/death. The real problem is for those who are at no fault really but one moment of their lack of alertness or luck can result in serious damage for them!
Old 17th August 2024, 20:52   #12708
BHPian

This joker stopped in the middle of the intersection and partially reversed into the side road, blocking the left lane for 2 minutes.
When the light turned green, he zoomed off down the opposite side, executing a u-turn which he could have taken legally and properly simply by driving further down the main road.

But no, we must treat public roads like our own property, without a care for others.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_7927.jpeg  

Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 12:01   #12709
Distinguished - BHPian

A battered Delhi Jal Board tanker takes a right turn on green signal into a narrowed section of road (thanks to ongoing Metro work), even as a Creta driver honks behind and tries to overtake him from his left. I hold back as I am wary of the tanker's damaged rear bumper, which point to the fact that he may swerve without notice.

Creta driver fails to overtake, then honks hard while trying again to go past the tanker. The tanker driver stops in the middle of the road as the Creta finally manages to squeeze past on his left. Seeing the tanker stopped, I carefully drive past him on his right, even as the Creta driver pulls up in front of the tanker to block him, and proceeds to get out of the car and pick a fight with the tanker driver (not on video, since I don't have a rear dashcam in this car).
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 12:47   #12710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

A battered Delhi Jal Board tanker takes a right turn on green signal.

The Creta driver pulls up in front of the tanker to block him, and proceeds to get out of the car and pick a fight with the tanker driver (not on video, since I don't have a rear dashcam in this car).
It's a Delhi Jal Board Tanker. So probably the driver has a secure Govt job (unless the truck is on contract basis). I don't know how these things work in Delhi.

Anyways, a hypothetical question here. When the Creta blocked the Tanker and suppose the Tanker couldn't brake in time as it was totally unexpected and rammed into the Creta and damaged it severely, who is at fault here?

Ofcourse some exchange of abuses and fist blows could occur and the police may intervene and law takes its course. But is the time, effort and money spent in the process,worth it for the Creta driver? The Jal Board Tanker driver could be least bothered about the tanker, looking at the condition of the same. He could just park the tanker at Jal Board vehicle parking bay and walk away. The creta guy will have to bear all the expenses, time, effort in this instance.

So, what would have happened if the tanker had ramned the creta?
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 17:19   #12711
Distinguished - BHPian

The Creta driver tries a left-side overtake, on a curve, with a longer vehicle --- and then stops to argue about it! Crazy.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 17:32   #12712
Senior - BHPian

Angry commuters throw wheelie stunt riders' scooters off the flyover.

I don't care what others think, I am happy with the action taken by public against these idiots.

Angry with wheelies, public hurl bikes off tumakuru highway in karnataka

Video of the incident.
Warning: Very colorful language.

speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 17:40   #12713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The Creta driver tries a left-side overtake, on a curve, with a longer vehicle --- and then stops to argue about it! Crazy.
I agree.
Overtaking from the left is legally not permitted.
Overtaking on a curve is not a safe driving method, either from left or right side.
Stopping to argue. - Jantha hai mera bap kaun hai? mentality.
We live in a Crazy world. People have gone bonkers!
Old 18th August 2024, 18:06   #12714
BHPian

Hi friends,

I don't know where to share this news article so sharing it here. Mods please do post it somewhere else if there is a better thread for such news.

Just found this news online

https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...-6364227/amp/1

Honestly I'm confused if I should be angry or happy. I'm surely not the "haan mere baap ki sadak hai" type, so I'm law abiding by nature. I really feel bad if mob takes law in its hands.
But at the same time, the kid in me is happy somewhere deep down .

Some people (read laaton ke bhoot) baaton se nahi mante. Who gave them the permission t to do stunts on a busy road. Actually we only do that when we don't object to it. As I said, a small part of me is glad someone did object to the adventures of those riders.

I feel that public should not take matters in its hands but at the same time I'm silently feeling good that they did. So I'm still a confused soul.

Hope atleast some kids would learn not to think of a busy road as (mere baap ki road) after this incident.

Happy driving
sudanmohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 18:53   #12715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Angry commuters throw wheelie stunt riders' scooters off the flyover.

I don't care what others think, I am happy with the action taken by public against these idiots.
I noticed that some are happy with what the mob did with the stunt scooters while at the same time expressed that they shouldn't have taken law into their own hands

Now, the crux of the problem is the unsafe & illegal stunt riding on two wheelers on a public road on a busy day with heavy traffic movement.

Now, this stunt riding didn't just miraculously appeared one day. It's been happening over a period of time. It happens in many roads in Bangalore. I remember my cousin who stays in Banaswadi, Bangalore saying that the Banaswadi 100 feet road is used by motorcycle stunt riders in the night. So, this is a frequently recurring phenomenon in and around many cities in India.

My belief is that police are definitely aware of this menace. They even could have clamped it down a couple of times, but like Hydra's multiple head, this menace springs up again and again.

So, my POV is if the police were successful in clamping down this stunt menace, then it shouldn't have occurred on 15th August. When the police fail to clamp down the menace, the risk of getting hit, accident, casualty become real to the common road user who happens to be in the vicinity of the stunt riders on that day. Some stunt goes wrong and a few innocent vehicle riders will also be brought down and would get hurt for no fault of theirs.

So, when the risk for personal accident and grave injury on a public road during busy morning hours becomes a real possibility and no police or Govt seems to do anything about it, the public takes the pent up anger on the stunt riders. The anger is against the police/Govt apathy, the stunt riders careless behaviour and also their pent up frustration with their own problems in their own life. Add to that the mob mentality. It only needs one or two to ignite the fire and then the mob takes over.

I felt like it was a pressure cooker situation when the pressure valve release steam due to steam build up inside the cooker. There's a release and then people go their way. Of course what the stunt riders were doing was dangerous and illegal. And what the mob did was also dangerous and illegal. If people take law in to their own hand, then what's the point of having the police, law and Govt? when It's their job & responsibility to control and curb such unruly and illegal activities on a public road.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th August 2024 at 21:27. Reason: Duplicate post has been deleted as requested. Removing mod request edit. Thanks.
Old 18th August 2024, 19:41   #12716
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems to be well organised. Do I see folk below holding up traffic while the scooters are tossed?

I wonder what became of the riders? (Oh: I listened without turning the sound on). I would think that they must have been in terror of being sent flying along with their two-wheelers.

Yes, it's illegal. Yes, it's unacceptable. And yes, I admit to some satisfaction.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 21:16   #12717
Team-BHP Support

Mob justice is like stopped clocks.

It feels nice & right sometimes when something obvious and annoying and dangerous, and most importantly, the 'we'd never do that anyway!' sort of stuff gets 'set right' by a bunch of angry bystanders. Until an 'Oh, I do DO THAT!' moment comes along.

I wonder if people would cheer if the same 'public sentiment' led to vandalism and destruction of 'annoying and dangerous' expensive superbikes that a lot of people (including cops sometimes) on highways object to, even when they're simply existing just minding their business in a law-abiding way on weekend group rides and such.

The intent is not to equate any two activities, but to highlight leaving judgment to 'public sentiment' can lead to interesting unintended consequences.

Needs fixing? Sure. By mobs? *shrugs*.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th August 2024 at 00:31. Reason: A word
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 22:57   #12718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

I wonder if people would cheer if the same 'public sentiment' led to vandalism and destruction of 'annoying and dangerous' expensive superbikes that a lot of people (including cops sometimes) on highways object to, even when they're simply existing just minding their business in a law-abiding way on weekend group rides and such.

The intent is not to equate any two activities, but to highlight leaving judgment to 'public sentiment' can lead to interesting unintended consequences.
I have been a motorcycle rider all my life (With No 4 wheeler) and I perfectly understand & reciprocate your sentiments.

The bad vibes of these stunts invariably gets imprinted on the Superbikes and they get painted as villains too for no reason not fault.

Our Indian society, the Govt machinery such as police and RTO have not yet evolved to look into them with different prism of lens and thus equate them in same measure and that puts the superbike community in bad light for no fault of theirs.

We have a long way to go before these misunderstanding get sorted out. The Govt people at RTO & Police need to get educated and informed about these things and it will take time.

Let's say we are in a transition period now and sometime in future, these misunderstanding and misconceptions will be sorted out. This is a transition period and we have to just bear it. There's no other option.
Old 18th August 2024, 23:15   #12719
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I am quite neutral towards this mob justice episode.

The reason is simple, even if police try to stop these stuntmen, they won't stop.

There was a Kawasaki Ninja rider from Dehradun and we discussed his unfortunate death in one of the threads sometime back.

He was caught by police, asked to apologize on video, the video was circulated, but still this guy went back to stunts on the road and eventually died one day. Had his bike got thrown off like this, may be he would have changed location! I don't have much hope from this incident.

By the way, a Delhi stuntman lost his life from a police bullet and the stunts on the road completely stopped thereafter! One lawlessness worked against another.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 10:29   #12720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I don't know how these things work in Delhi.
So, what would have happened if the tanker had ramned the creta?
In Delhi, anyone who chooses to pick a fight thinks he's some kind of fat cat. Jaanta nahi mera baap kaun hai? (don't you know who my dad is?) is a common refrain - the dad in question being anyone from a lowly police constable to a minister's personal assistant.

The result of the tanker ramming the Creta would depend on whose dad is 'stronger'. The Creta guy (being the initiator, certainly has a baap) can produce anything from a steel rod to baseball bat to a homemade gun, and the tanker driver, to avoid assault by the Creta driver, is always quite prepared to hop out and run for his life. If the tanker guy has a 'dad', he might not run, but would choose to fight too.

It's a complex equation, but don't expect quick intervention by the local cops.

Edit: If the tanker had rammed the Creta, that post would have been in the Accidents in India thread. Had my dashcam managed to capture the rest of the confrontation, with or without guns & baseball bats, it would have been posted in the Road Rage thread.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 19th August 2024 at 10:38.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks