Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2024, 06:50   #12631
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I don't know whether this link belongs to this thread, but it surely is a recipe for disaster.

https://www.news18.com/viral/caught-...y-8903684.html

Some people won't think about their lives (and others too).

On a lighter note, may be they should be given scholarships and help to get active in sports
Old 26th May 2024, 21:25   #12632

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I recently found myself in a situation on BLR's Nice Road that could have easily turned into a 5-car pile-up, including my own vehicle.

It was a busy Saturday evening rush hour, driving from Tumkur Road towards Kanakpura Road. The highway was packed, and the average speed was around 60 to 70km/h. I was maintaining a steady pace with the flow of traffic, not doing much overtaking or blocking anyone, just driving safely.

Suddenly, a Nexon EV tried to squeeze into a tight gap between me and the taxi ahead. It was way too close for comfort! Thankfully, I've learned to stay calm in these situations and let them pass.

But then, instant karma! One of our own Dzire taxi drivers decided to show the Nexon EV exactly what it feels like to get cut off, pushed aside with an extra surprise on the shoulder on a busy highway. It was a close call, and a reminder of how dangerous these impatient maneuvers can be.

By the way, I always avoid overtaking from the shoulder on Nice Road unless absolutely necessary. It's a recipe for disaster! A little patience goes a long way on the road.

CheckeredFlag is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 21:51   #12633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckeredFlag View Post

By the way, I always avoid overtaking from the shoulder on Nice Road unless absolutely necessary. It's a recipe for disaster! A little patience goes a long way on the road.

http://Youtu.be/GNnop1AM1P8
This is the most dangerous part of driving on Nice road and especially in the night when visibility is low. Many people use Nice road as a race track.
SamDiablo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 22:55   #12634
BHPian

Despite all the advancement in traffic management in Bangalore, the roads are increasingly becoming lawless due to lack of enforcement. There are monsters out there driving recklessly with no respect for the road rules and lives of others on the road. Especially the yellow board vehicles.

I actively try to dis-engage from any sort of road bullying but sometimes, the dog just chases you smelling your fear.

For those who are familiar with the Whitefield road, Indian Oil bunk before the Seetharampalya metro station, this road is a one way and cab drivers and 2 wheelers often break the rule riding / driving the wrong side. An hour ago when I was returning home, a trigger happy cab driver wanted to demonstrate his goon skills by cutting the wrong way and almost ramming my car head on. He also had the audacity to shout at me in Kannada assuming I was a non-localite. My temper shot to my head but I could not let this ruin an evening with cool breeze. I moved on, maneuvering my car safely from the left because this yellow boarded goon had already blocked 2 other cars locking in for a fight.

Not a single cop anywhere in the vicinity. I felt so vulnerable.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_0363.jpg  

Last edited by no_boundaries : 26th May 2024 at 23:03. Reason: Rephrase some lines
no_boundaries is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 11:53   #12635

Quote:
I recently found myself in a situation on BLR's Nice Road that could have easily turned into a 5-car pile-up, including my own vehicle.

http://Youtu.be/GNnop1AM1P8
Typical scenes in NICE road after 6pm. Not sure what triggers people to drive 80-100kmpl in a 2 lane NICE road that too with lot of slow moving trucks in right lane and left lane as well.
There are several instances where a slow moving truck is trying to overtake another slow moving truck truck and this create a bottleneck and people start using shoulder of the road.
URWELCOME is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 16:59   #12636
BHPian

There is seriously no dearth of fools in our great country.

Here is one such, blissfully perched on the bonnet of a BMW, as if relaxing on his Barcalounger, driven by an underage boy (son of a govt. official) in Kalyan streets.

Link

A man has been arrested in Mumbai after a viral video showed him lying on the bonnet of a moving BMW which was being driven by a 17-year-old boy, the police said. The video shows Subham Mitalia lying on the BMW bonnet as the teenager drives it around the Shivaji Chowk area in Mumbai's Kalyan on Saturday.
GTX+ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 09:33   #12637

51, including 30 bike riders, killed in Karnataka in 24 hours

Link https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../110476969.cms

Most deaths due to reckless and without helmet
Nikhil_Pithva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 09:39   #12638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by URWELCOME View Post
Not sure what triggers people to drive 80-100kmpl in a 2 lane NICE road that too with lot of slow moving trucks in right lane and left lane as well.
Most of the vehicles would have been driving at quite a high speed on the National Highway, before entering NICE road. So the mind is still in high speed mode, which continues even after you enter slower city roads. I have observed this in myself too, and you need to consciously reset your mind to the slower surroundings. Most people not doing that, is what causes chaotic traffic in these peripheral roads.
PearlJam is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 10:13   #12639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
So the mind is still in high speed mode, which continues even after you enter slower city roads.
Its referred to as velocitisation and happens to most folks.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 10:44   #12640
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the vehicles would have been driving at quite a high speed on the National Highway, before entering NICE road. So the mind is still in high speed mode, which continues even after you enter slower city roads. I have observed this in myself too, and you need to consciously reset your mind to the slower surroundings. Most people not doing that, is what causes chaotic traffic in these peripheral roads.
Yes this is correct. When I was new to driving, this was a serious issue. Thankfully I have always been interested in the "theory" of driving and knew about it before I experienced it and was prepared. The best way to deal with it is to "drive by the book" by which I mean start using the speed meter and not go by feelings. It is important to develop a feel for the speed (without having to rely on the speed meter) but in this case it is detrimental.

With experience, I do not seem to have this problem any more. At least, this problem is much more subdued now. But others have said that they continue to have this problem even after clocking a lot of Kilometers.

A similar problem occurs when one switches to an EV. The silent motor and lack of vibration means it is often difficult to judge not just the speed but also the acceleration. Again one needs to "drive by the book" for some time till one get used to the characteristics of an EV.
Old 28th May 2024, 11:42   #12641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Its referred to as velocitisation and happens to most folks.
Thanks, it's actually "velocitation", for the benefit of others.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 12:26   #12642

Quote:
Most of the vehicles would have been driving at quite a high speed on the National Highway, before entering NICE road. So the mind is still in high speed mode, which continues even after you enter slower city roads.
Interesting point! I haven't experienced velocitation myself. Maybe my mind adjusts to the driving conditions and the situation at hand on the road in driving on. While velocitation might be subconscious, it's definitely not an excuse for reckless driving and not being attentive! I doubt the Nexon driver was affected by it - he/she was probably just a careless driver.

On Nice Road, the toll booths are notorious for slowing traffic down to a crawl, which probably wakes everyone up from any highway hypnosis. In my case, coming from Hubli towards Bangalore, traffic naturally slows down on the highway after Tumkur, dropping to around 40-50 kmph before NICE Road.

But on Nice Road itself, even with lighter traffic, I've noticed people driving erratically. It seems like the opposite happens. After being stuck in city traffic, drivers get on the open road and feel the need to speed up for a while. Nice Road needs stricter speeding enforcement with cameras.
CheckeredFlag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 12:31   #12643
BHPian

Quote:

People have the bad habit of overtaking on the shoulder on NICE road. It gets very tricky especially with low visibility due to slow moving trucks. Thank god, this particular case didn't end up in a pile up.

Last edited by graaja : 28th May 2024 at 13:32. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post
touring_spirit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 13:33   #12644
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, it's actually "velocitation", for the benefit of others.
Does NICE road have a different speed limit than the highway?

When one enters Chandigarh limits from the highway (the road remains just as wide as the highway), there is a big board that says "Welcome to Chandigarh" and just 100 metres after that, there are speed cameras for Challans.

It is amazing to see how effectively "velocitation" goes out from every driver's mind and they instantly start driving properly.

All they need is to put Speed cameras on entering NICE road and start giving out Challans to all the padhe-likhe gavaars (translation: uneducated literates).

On a different note - the lack of driving sense even in educated Indians and the sense of entitlement in Indians is unreal, whether it is North or South, East or West. When will we learn to not drive on the shoulder, let alone overtake?

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 28th May 2024 at 13:34.
Old 28th May 2024, 16:13   #12645
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠When driving from Chengalpet to Chennai on NH 45, this kind of behavior is commonly observed, particularly on Sunday evenings.

Slow-moving vehicles occupying the fast lane are a key factor contributing to this common occurrence. ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠Indeed, as you correctly pointed out, patience is essential.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed