Old 28th January 2024, 23:07   #12541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

How many bad drivers can you spot here?
SS-Traveller is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 18:23   #12542
BHPian

A person seems to have trusted Google Maps blindly and tried to drive down the stairs

How can he even think of doing this stunt, I don't believe his version of trusting Google Maps, he would have trusted his Fortuner to drive him anywhere "Literally"

vvivek85 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 12:49   #12543
Team-BHP Support

The Honda City at 45 seconds should it have stopped?

Our roads are designed in a very bad manner.

Which means every car driver must be extremely careful and be as slow as possible in heavy traffic with crisscrossing pedestrians.

https://aaafoundation.org/impact-spe...-injury-death/

Quote:

Results show that the average risk of severe injury for a pedestrian struck by a vehicle reaches 10% at an impact speed of 16 mph, 25% at 23 mph, 50% at 31 mph, 75% at 39 mph, and 90% at 46 mph.

The average risk of death for a pedestrian reaches 10% at an impact speed of 23 mph, 25% at 32 mph, 50% at 42 mph, 75% at 50 mph, and 90% at 58 mph. Risks vary significantly by age. For example, the average risk of severe injury or death for a 70‐year old pedestrian struck by a car traveling at 25 mph is similar to the risk for a 30‐year‐old pedestrian struck at 35 mph.

bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 14:49   #12544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The Honda City at 45 seconds should it have stopped?
The Honda City racing past on your left made me wince.

Traffic behaviour is getting progressively worse every day, and even the presence of traffic cops on our roads doesn't act as a deterrent. The following video just goes to show how demented the behaviour of drivers and riders is, on the roads of Delhi. Cab and bus drivers are especially crazy.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 15:46   #12545
BHPian

In life there are factors that you can control and rest are those which are not in your control. Life is much simpler if one focuses on the former.

The bad drivers is in the second bucket i.e. factors that you can't control. The issue is also not unique and limited to India. It's everywhere in bits and pieces.

So let's focus what can we control to keep us safe :
  1. Take your driving "Seriously". It's the prime thing where your attention should be when you are on wheels.
  2. Try to keep a distance with the car/truck/bus ahead in such a way that you are able to see it's rear tyres. This gives you adequate time to stop your vehicle in case of emergency. Exception for this rule is in bumper to bumper traffic. However there too maintain the safe distance.
  3. Be more vigilant when you see the vehicle in front blinking its turn indicators continuously. He/She is a sole on road embraced with deep thoughts.
  4. When you see the vehicle with very typical Number plate, exotic numbers..it's a reason to be extra cautious if you are around such a vehicle.
  5. Don't take calls when you are driving (even your car has an advanced calling feature) unless it's absolutely essential or emergency situation
  6. Be careful not to play with Infotainment system while driving and be committed to the road ahead
  7. Be cautious when the guy coming in opposite direction keeps his lights on High beam. He is a guy who is still in kindergarten of motoring.
  8. Avoid stoping on the wider speed braker even in dense traffic condition.
  9. Avoid changing lanes abruptly and be extra cautious when the road is empty (it's still a road and not F1 track)
  10. Keep Parking lights ON if you are stopping on sideways (Day /Night), switch ON turn Indicators and give adequate time for the vehicles coming from the back before you getting on the road. Always look into the ORVM to ensure there is no Vehicle coming to you before opening the door.
Safe drive, Always !!

Last edited by ampere : 27th February 2024 at 23:35.
007maverick is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 08:50   #12546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Honda City racing past on your left made me wince.

Traffic behaviour is getting progressively worse every day, and even the presence of traffic cops on our roads doesn't act as a deterrent. The following video just goes to show how demented the behaviour of drivers and riders is, on the roads of Delhi. Cab and bus drivers are especially crazy.
https://Youtu.be/GjjvXeHQzr0
Not sure whether the DL-8733 guy realised that he lost more time than what he gained through his stunts. I hate this "merge into a right turn" driving. Unfortunately many think it is perfectly legal and the right thing to do.
electric_eel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 13:48   #12547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007maverick View Post
(2) Try to keep a distance with the car/truck/bus ahead in such a way that you are able to see it's rear tyres.
Just picking out this one for disagreement: it is far too close!

Another rule of thumb which is often quoted is the "two-second rule." At least that one automatically compensates for different speeds. Do remember that there is no single stopping distance: it increases greatly as speed increases.

It is better to overestimate stopping distance!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st February 2024 at 13:50.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 20:07   #12548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just picking out this one for disagreement: it is far too close!

It is better to overestimate stopping distance!

The tyre+tarmac rule is to figure out the gap that you need to have when you stop your vehicle and not to find the "following distance". For the latter the bare minimum is the two sec rule but I find that too to be too little. I tend to slow down and increase the following distance as I get tired in a long drive.

Even the tyre + tarmac rule is not safe in Indian traffic conditions.
I often find the rear of load carrying trucks and pickups extended illegally to such an extent that the tyre+tarmac rule is mostly useless (you need to leave far more gap when you stop). Furthermore pickups carrying building material often have things jutting out so far behind them that the safest thing to do is to not follow them at all; overtake them as quickly as possible. Following them is a sure shot way to get your car a new windscreen (if you are lucky that is).
electric_eel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 21:14   #12549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
The tyre+tarmac rule is to figure out the gap that you need to have when you stop your vehicle and not to find the "following distance".
I'd never heard of any "tyre rule" before this. I just googled "tyre+tarmac rule" and got this:
Quote:
The tyres and tarmac rule is to stop so that you can see the bottom tyres of the vehicle in front and around a meter of road tarmac. Leaving sufficient gaps between the cars allows you to move off later without getting into difficulties.
Is that what you mean? nothing to do with stopping or following, but having enough space to steer around the vehicle in front. This makes perfect sense, not only when parking, but when following too.

Nothing related to a fixed distance can possible be right for stopping/following.
Quote:
For the latter the bare minimum is the two sec rule but I find that too to be too little. I tend to slow down and increase the following distance as I get tired in a long drive.
Yes, I think it is too close too. There are tables of stopping distances: it is more than people think.

Not only are people mostly ignorant of actual stopping distances, but they then allow their ego to be the judge. Definitely a way of spotting the bad drivers! Why do they have to live/drive up against the edge? Relaxing a bit, allowing safer margins: makes driving more enjoyable, and does not make it any slower.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 22:03   #12550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'd never heard of any "tyre rule" before this. I just googled "tyre+tarmac rule" and got this:

Is that what you mean? nothing to do with stopping or following, but having enough space to steer around the vehicle in front.
Yes that is what I meant. I think OP probably confused this with the two second rule. The primary reason is as you said to have enough to steer around (to give way for an emergency vehicle for example). But it also helps when you start off on a traffic signal. There is a high chance that some one will cut in front of the car ahead forcing him to slam the brake

Actually when moving off from a stop it is the two sec rule that should be used (you are supposed to wait for 2 secs before you start moving) but unfortunately in India you will be greeted with millions of honks from behind and some smart alec cutting in front of you to "close the gap".

Quote:
Not only are people mostly ignorant of actual stopping distances, but they then allow their ego to be the judge.
Yes most do not realise that stopping distance is proportional to the square of the velocity (double the speed; stopping distance increases four times (acutally more than that because there is the reaction time as well). Rather they think it is linear or worse constant. That is the reason why you often see fast vehicles like cars trying to "close the gap" when starting off from a red light. Ideally they should be doing the opposite --- allow the distance to keep increasing as they speed up.

Quote:
Relaxing a bit, allowing safer margins: makes driving more enjoyable, and does not make it any slower.
Plus you do not gain anything (in terms of time) in the process.
electric_eel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 03:55   #12551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Actually when moving off from a stop it is the two sec rule that should be used (you are supposed to wait for 2 secs before you start moving) but unfortunately in India you will be greeted with millions of honks from behind and some smart alec cutting in front of you to "close the gap".
Haha, so true! And it is not as if many of them are masters of the racing start: many actually dither, but still show impatience with the person/people in front.

I do not wait 2 seconds. Ideally, I start at the same moment as the car in front. but, I move slower, allowing them to move ahead. So yes, I believe in that increasing gap too.

I have a saying: The car that has just started moving is quite likely to just stop moving
Quote:
Yes most do not realise that stopping distance is proportional to the square of the velocity ... ... ... Rather they think it is linear or worse constant. That is the reason why you often see fast vehicles like cars trying to "close the gap" when starting off from a red light. Ideally they should be doing the opposite
I couldn't quote the maths. And I found it excruciatingly hard to memorise stopping distances for the British driving test. But we seem to think the same, and, in practice, do the same or similar, for the same reasons
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 20:55   #12552
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Moped rider taking the right lane

2. Polo driver hastily trying to move ahead ignoring two wheeler traffic in the left lane. I did slow down a bit and give him enough room to merge into the right lane ahead of me. He didn't care.

3. Creta driver failing to check RVMs and not sticking to one lane

4. Polo driver not looking beyond 1 vehicle before him, overtakes creta in a hurry, only to be slowed down by an autorickshaw. Polo driver then wants to take the right lane behind the bus without any consideration for the creta

5. Creta driver, even after seeing the Polo moving right, kept moving and brakes at the last part. He could have eased off the accelerator and let the Polo merge.

Lane discipline, looking ahead beyond the vehicle in the front, checking RVMs, not being in a hurry & letting aggressive drivers go, these simple measures can lead to stress free & safe commutes.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 2nd February 2024 at 21:00.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 01:07   #12553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Polo driver ... ... ... Creta driver
That Polo driver is a maniac. Trying to drive like a biker, and a bad one at that.

The creta is too close to the bus. If I were him, I wouldn't feel like being helpful to that Polo guy. Except that I would much rather have him far away than threatening my safety.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 10:28   #12554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

2. Polo driver
3. Creta driver
Good you kept your distance from those two. Just boggles the mind what they mean to accomplish trying to get one up on the road in the city with crawling traffic all around.

Not sure if it's still a rule, but I remember my driving instructor telling me "no overtaking on a bridge" many many years ago...
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 15:41   #12555
BHPian

What to say about this fellow Superman.

https://www.news18.com/viral/trendin...s-8768283.html

I wish such people were banned from riding/driving for life and put behind bars
sudanmohit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks