Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2023, 22:00   #12436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
Thanks man.
It is very true that being hard on the accelerator and hard on the brakes is hard on the wallet.

I admit, I don't prioritise the mileage when it comes to driving style . But nor do I senselessly accelerate when I can see that I have to brake in just a moment. Yet I see people driving to reach a red light as fast as they can! That makes no sense.

One thing that baffles me is that cab drivers are among the worst. They are driving for a living, and every wasted drop of petrol is out of the profits. I could drive a cab and make more than they do! Except that I don't have their energy and stamina for driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
How to spot one? Easy throw a stone and the chances are very good that you will hit one.
You forgot to mention closing the eyes
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 23:37   #12437
GTE
BANNED

I think you are perfectly qualified to be employed by the highway authority for their signs advising drivers like "better to arrive late than be late" etc etc. �� I keep advising cab drivers to strike but they refuse to listen. ��

Last edited by GTE : 24th September 2023 at 23:39.
GTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 11:56   #12438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is very true that being hard on the accelerator and hard on the brakes is hard on the wallet.

I admit, I don't prioritise the mileage when it comes to driving style .

To be fair, i am a college student, running on a monthly allowance for fuel. Mileage is my top priority as such. More than cab drivers, there are those electric garbage collecting autos of sorts that give you trouble. I am pretty sure that none of them know how to drive and are often on the fast lane, in a 6 lane road, cruising happily at 30, without a care for the wind.

They then proceed to swerve across these three lanes, to jump into a small bylane on the left, leaving an array of freaked out car drivers in their wake
Old 25th September 2023, 14:21   #12439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... there are those electric garbage collecting autos of sorts that give you trouble. ...
Yes!

They really are terrible.
Old 25th September 2023, 18:07   #12440
BHPian

Quote:
More than cab drivers, there are those electric garbage collecting autos of sorts that give you trouble.
If you're referring to the Battery operated vehicles of Urbaser Sumeet and the Greater Chennai Corporation, then yes, they are some of the most annoying traffic offenders in most of the residential areas of Chennai.

Very few of them have functioning mirrors. Though I read that a driving licence is required to drive those contraptions, I'm not sure if that's enforced. The traffic police turn a blind eye to them. They drive around as if they're Valentino Rossi's cousins, but in slow motion.

I have seen a convoy of such BOVs slowly amble along on the fast lane every morning near my house and they end up irritating the heck out of the local bus drivers (which I admit to watching with a lot of schadenfreude).
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 02:47   #12441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGDI View Post

What should I have done better in this situation?
I faced a very similar situation recently at a street in AECS layout. Two young folks walking with their backs to me and discussing animatedly something in the middle of the street I was turning into from a main road. We all have been there where we miss to notice our presence and I waited for a couple of seconds and then honked. They didn't appear to notice, I honked again and the guy now turned back, saw me waiting, and then returned back to their conversation without even moving an inch. There was also no room to maneuver around them as they were literally in the middle of a 20-25 feet street.

I saw red (my wrong, I shouldn't have) and started blaring the horn and that made the girl turn back and pull the guy aside who didn't want to move. By then, a house resident where I was standing came out to check what the commotion was and to shout at me. He saw these folks blocking the way and he asked something in Kannada to them which I don't know and they both also didn't know from what it appeared. After 10 seconds, the house resident came out of his compound and shouted at them and the guy reluctantly moved.

I don't even know what should I have done here, parked to the side and waited for these folks to get to their home? There are so many jerks around and yes, they can be pedestrians too.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 26th September 2023 at 02:50.
Yieldway17 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 04:43   #12442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To be fair, i am a college student, running on a monthly allowance for fuel. Mileage is my top priority as such.
Thinking about this, and your earlier post, as I understood it, and the answer is don't. Just don't!

A heavy foot on brake and accelerator costs money. Driving sedately in the right gear doesn't. Do not think that you are saving some money by being in too high a gear, effectively letting your car coast. Never coast. Always be in control.

As a young driver, I think you have misunderstood this, and need to correct yourself urgently.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 09:16   #12443
BHPian

I encountered the following situation few days ago. Please excuse my painting skills!!

Name:  Turning.png
Views: 251
Size:  10.3 KB

I had to take a U-turn and enter into the building as shown by the path.
A car next to me, wanting to take the U-turn, tried cutting me off.
I persisted in my lane and he took the turn with longer radius.
After the U-turn I indicated to turn left into the building.
It turns out that he also wanted to enter the same building.
He was blocked during his long U-turn because of vehicles parked on the other side of the road.
I proceeded forward with my left turn and he followed me.

There were no confrontations. But got me thinking. Who was the bad driver here?
Old 26th September 2023, 09:21   #12444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I faced a very similar situation recently at a street in AECS layout. Two young folks walking with their backs to me and discussing animatedly something in the middle of the street I was turning into from a main road. We all have been there where we miss to notice our presence and I waited for a couple of seconds and then honked. They didn't appear to notice, I honked again and the guy now turned back, saw me waiting, and then returned back to their conversation without even moving an inch. There was also no room to maneuver around them as they were literally in the middle of a 20-25 feet street.

I saw red (my wrong, I shouldn't have) and started blaring the horn and that made the girl turn back and pull the guy aside who didn't want to move. By then, a house resident where I was standing came out to check what the commotion was and to shout at me. He saw these folks blocking the way and he asked something in Kannada to them which I don't know and they both also didn't know from what it appeared. After 10 seconds, the house resident came out of his compound and shouted at them and the guy reluctantly moved.

I don't even know what should I have done here, parked to the side and waited for these folks to get to their home? There are so many jerks around and yes, they can be pedestrians too.

Absolutely. In my 7 years of driving, I have been in these situations many times and a younger version of me was involved in direct road rages too as when I honked, the person/persons blocking the road obviously didn't like it and you know how it can quickly escalate. But being a overthinker, these kind of incidents didn't go quickly away from my mind and I keep thinking of what could have happened in the worst case and what should I have done better. The current more responsible me gives a small honk and waits for them to notice me and give way. In this situation, I have honked twice to let them know I am there and I could see they heard my honk and by my judgement, i could have passed through them. But all of a sudden one of the guys moved further onto the road and my side mirror hit his elbow. All this while they didn't even look back while I was honking. I just wonder what would have been the case if it was a bus or a truck.
TGDI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 10:25   #12445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115 View Post
I encountered the following situation few days ago. Please excuse my painting skills!!

Attachment 2508240

I had to take a U-turn and enter into the building as shown by the path.

There were no confrontations. But got me thinking. Who was the bad driver here?
Ideally both of you should be taking the next divider gap, so that you could smoothly move into the left lane to enter your building. The problem with using this gap is that you will always end up blocking the traffic flow.

Last edited by silvercloud : 26th September 2023 at 10:26. Reason: minor edit
silvercloud is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 10:29   #12446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115 View Post
Who was the bad driver here?
Generally at such places, only the rightmost lane is marked as the U-turn lane (often indicated by a double-arrowhead painted on the road). So if this person was in the lane to the left of you chances are they were already in violation.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 12:18   #12447
BANNED

https://twitter.com/Bihar_se_hai/sta...5wobJx7rA&s=19

Alto passes crash barrier test successfully. Proud to be an Alto owner too
Altrozed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 13:29   #12448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Just when you think you have seen it all, someone goes and does something that makes me shout "what are you doing?!"

This quote attributed to Einstein comes to mind seeing such videos:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 13:40   #12449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
https://twitter.com/Bihar_se_hai/sta...5wobJx7rA&s=19

He has done such a great services for all his brothers and sisters on the road. Gone are the days when you have to stop at a railway crossing.
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 18:56   #12450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercloud View Post
Ideally both of you should be taking the next divider gap, so that you could smoothly move into the left lane to enter your building. The problem with using this gap is that you will always end up blocking the traffic flow.
Good point.The next divider gap is quite far and there is usually traffic pile up in the onward direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Generally at such places, only the rightmost lane is marked as the U-turn lane (often indicated by a double-arrowhead painted on the road). So if this person was in the lane to the left of you chances are they were already in violation.
No such markings at this location. But thanks for clarifying. Driving here is a continuous learning experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks