Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2023, 08:50   #12376
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This happened on Bannerghatta Road.
The biker abruptly stopped as his bag was slipping from his bike.

Old 22nd July 2023, 09:36   #12377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Atleast they had the presence of mind to warn traffic behind they are stopping.
But, notice the BMTC joining the main road with no signal or checking traffic. The usual and what is done by 90% of drivers and is the most annoying and top it all, like everything else, they think what they do is rigtht.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 10:06   #12378
BANNED

Atleast they had presence of mind to inform people behind.
Totally different question, whether they were following MV law, no helmet.

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/d_tI9YOtu7Q
navrddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 15:53   #12379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
A bad passenger and in this case a bad driver also. He should not have opened the sun roof in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sunroof fellow, i presume alcohol is the culprit! Just why!?!
I've seen several such incidents, a troublingly high number of them involving children.

While we do not know if there was any day-drinking involved in this incident, I'm pretty sure people need not be the slightest bit inebriated to do stupid stuff like poking their heads out of a moving car, and making their heads more prone to losing whatever little brains are left.

Which is why I personally believe that a sunroof is completely useless for most of Indian road/driving conditions.

I haven't even pulled back the sunroof blind ever since I took delivery of my Brezza. A contraption devoid of purpose, which I'd have gladly traded for ventilated seats any day.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
But, notice the BMTC joining the main road with no signal or checking traffic. The usual and what is done by 90% of drivers and is the most annoying and top it all, like everything else, they think what they do is right.
This is quite nothing compared to what buses all over India do. This is what I've experienced so far:
  • Being tailgated so aggressively that I could almost feel the bus's logo caressing my rear wiper.
  • Being randomly sideswiped by a bus from either side, without so much as a honk, let alone an indicator.
  • Being subjected to those monstrous air-horns that seem as though they are blasting directly from your driver-side mirror.
  • Being frantically overtaken by a bus from the right, just for them to stop abruptly in the middle of the road right in front of me and slowly collect an inevitably aged passenger with a ton of bags.
  • Being pushed off into the shoulder (or sometimes ditch) by two buses who want to play go-karting on an undivided highway.
The list could go on, just that these alone are enough to increase my heart rate.

Oh, and if they happen to hurt or kill somebody and someone has the guts or money to file a case against the bus drivers, the bus drivers' union leaders will arrive in their Landcruisers and Range Rovers and go on a hunger strike from breakfast till lunch until everyone is let off with a penalty and a suspension, I mean, paid leave. (I'm obviously exaggerating heavily, but you get the point).

There's no winning against these people, so I generally give them a wide berth.

Last edited by Small Bot : 22nd July 2023 at 15:58.
Small Bot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 18:12   #12380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My first thought after seeing it was exactly this:
Quote:
Atleast they had the presence of mind to warn traffic behind they are stopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Atleast they had presence of mind to inform people behind.
... followed by, how many would have noticed the venerable bovine that was tottering in front of the scooter - either the bag helped them (and the traffic behind) notice her, or she was the reason the rider's bag slipped, while braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
whether they were following MV law, no helmet.
They are liable to pay a fine for riding without helmets.

Quote:
But, notice the BMTC joining the main road with no signal or checking traffic
The scooter was also likely in the bus driver's blindspot, unless s/he had done the shoulder check, which, I think is improbable in this case. Since it was an electric bus, the scooter rider would've had a code brown situation too.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 20:08   #12381
BHPian

This clip is from my office commute today. Guess I was a bad driver today.

Watch the Maruti Celerio that does a very risky overtake between my car and another one in the middle lane. I am not going slow or anything in the right lane.

I got mildly irritated but didn't think much of it. Then after several seconds, the Celerio driver gets blocked in his lane and to me, it looked like he was trying to pull the same squeeze through stunt. Of course, he had no indicators on. Giving in to an already irritated impulse, I pressed my accelerator a bit and overtook him, being well within my lane.

The guy rolls up to me in the next traffic signal, asks me to roll the window down and asks, "En ippadi?" (why this way?). To which, I responded, "I am going correctly in my lane. You are the one weaving in and out of lanes". I rolled up my window and drove on.

The driver looked older and he was not being abusive or whatever, but clearly thinks he has the right of way whenever he wants. So I just let it go and not linger on.

Possibly a mistake from my side - I saw the car to his left after I almost passed him. On second thoughts, I should have simply let that car go ahead and not antagonized him in the first place.

Last edited by asmr : 26th July 2023 at 20:10. Reason: Corrections
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 14:01   #12382
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw a near miss experience on the road this Friday night, hats off to the super reflexes of the driver in the Thar, but he did endanger his passengers, and the Trucks ahead of him and to his right. Glad that it didn't turn into a bad accident!

AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 14:50   #12383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
hats off to the super reflexes of the driver in the Thar
It looks like it is just a stupid manoeuvre like we see too much of on city streets!'

I have to admit that I have some admiration for the spatial/speed awareness of people who bring off this scissors-type overtake, but in many cases, it just looks like they think their on a bike. And shouldn't have done it even if they were!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 15:16   #12384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw a near miss experience on the road this Friday night, hats off to the super reflexes of the driver in the Thar, but he did endanger his passengers, and the Trucks ahead of him and to his right. Glad that it didn't turn into a bad accident!

https://Youtu.be/RZc5XQzNYM8
I wonder if he was too quick to brake and stop, thought rear-ending was imminent, and in a split second made the decision to overtake.

His line was dangerously bad (came from extreme left to right), hence I wouldn't appreciate his maneuver ever. Never overtake unless you have a sighter that lane is clear enough. From the way it appears, he couldn't have a glimpse if the right lane was clear ahead of the truck. If a slow-moving 2-wheeler or car or whatever was right next to the truck, he would have rammed into it and made a mess of his car and a hell of a life to all the truckers who inadvertently would have been involved.

Last edited by funkykar : 31st July 2023 at 15:19.
funkykar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 18:40   #12385
BHPian

Quote:
This is a near miss, but only because Thar driver utterly failed to notice the truck in front of him. Best maneuver would have been to wait until one of the truck overtakes and clears the lane. This was just a dumb move with enough luck.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 19:01   #12386
BHPian

Quote:
hats off to the super reflexes of the driver in the Thar, but he did endanger his passengers, and the Trucks ahead of him and to his right. Glad that it didn't turn into a bad accident!

https://Youtu.be/RZc5XQzNYM8
That driver doesn’t deserve any compliments whatsoever. He endangered his own life and that of many others on the road.

There have been SO MANY times when vehicles of all sizes have cut me off to squeeze into a tiny gap.
As someone else has said on this thread, many people drive cars, buses and trucks like they are on two wheelers, weaving in and out of lanes with gay abandon.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 20:21   #12387
BHPian

That was a really close encounter for the Thar. It would have been disastrous for the Thar if the truck in the right lane was going at a slightly higher speed. The move was so sudden that the truck didn't get time to brake as well. The Thar's high Centre of Gravity means that it would have toppled very easily if there would have been contact and that too at an angle. The truck driver would have gotten bashed for no mistake of his.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2023 at 00:34. Reason: Typo
adi.mariner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 20:54   #12388
BHPian

Not quite “bad driving” but a massive disaster waiting to happen. This auto is carrying Gas Cylinders with just a rope to keep them from falling off!!
The lack of safety norms and the lackadaisical attitude towards workplace and personal safety in our country is shocking.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_1779.jpeg  

Mustang Sammy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 08:49   #12389
BHPian

This happened in ECR while coming from Chennai to Pondy. In the ECR there are some stretches of 4 lane roads which quickly merge into single lane road. Many times I encounter impatient drivers overtaking from the left and cutting just at where the 2 lane merges into a single lane. You can see a moron in Scorpio N cutting the Audi and immediately another absolute idiot in SX4 cuts me from the left without any idea of road manners. In fact I really don't understand where they want to go despite many vehicles going slowly due to traffic.

Sedate driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 23:19   #12390
Distinguished - BHPian

Seven on a bike caught on a video from Hapur, UP.

https://twitter.com/imrajni_singh/st...ailyhunt.in%2F
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks