Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2021, 22:19   #11881
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

All the incidents in the videos above are extremely infuriating but I'm immune to them for a while. The silver lining to my spine injury is that I can't drive for now and when I'm the car, the person driving has to go slow. The idiocy of fellow motorists has a reduced effect both on the journey and on my mind.
adwaith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 18:31   #11882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
This fiasco took place yesterday when I was travelling via NH66 :

0:00-0:06 was a diversion as the highway is still under-construction, I had reduced the speed to maintain a safe distance from the truck in front; overtake was not possible as there was oncoming traffic from opposite lanes.
Going by the Traveller's driving pattern in the first 5 seconds, he must have been riding your tail for a long while before that. As a standard rule, always let a tailgater overtake you first, before attempting your own overtake of a long vehicle ahead of you.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 18:08   #11883
BANNED

Three habits of bad driving skills I really hate are

1. Changing lanes without any indicator. People just try to squeeze in expect the person behind to stop or let them pass. What is the hurry?

2. When you give an indicator to change lane or to take a turn, the car or the bike in the corresponding lane will suddenly speed up and try to move ahead. Hold on mate, it is not a racing track.

3. When the left turn is free, some motorist block even the left most lane. This is very chaotic. Similarly, people willing to take a right turn will block 2 more lanes and create a bottle neck. This obstructs the right to way.

During peak hours, it has become more of a nuisance to drive around in city. The havoc of e-rickshaws and some drivers is unbearable these days. On some of the smaller roads, you need to be very defensive while driving. You never know when someone coming wrong side will brush your ride.

Sorry, I just came back from a drive and I am using this post to vent. I wish there were stricter rules around the lane discipline.
s.jain1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 18:29   #11884
Senior - BHPian

Some people just do not seem to know that they should stay on the right-most part of their lane when taking a right turn. On undivided roads, they go to the right-most part of the road itself (the opposite lane), thus putting themselves and others at risk.

Observed in cities as well as towns with white-board drivers, whether driving two-wheelers or fancy cars.
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 22:45   #11885
BHPian

Climbing onto the flyover from the wrong way and taking a wide turn into the traffic. The exit is curved and the car would not have been visible till very late to the vehicles goin down the exit.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-a_20211231131353.jpg
88_TANK_88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 01:14   #11886
BHPian

I am not sure whether this incident comes under this thread. Sharing a incident which happened with me recently.
Mod note - Please move it in appropriate thread if required.

I parked my car between 2 cars on the side of the road near footpath, which we all normally do. 2 guys in a Creta and Mercedes GLE parallel parked their vehicles. Creta was parked parallel to the City which was ahead of my car, and Mercedes was right next to my car (hardly leaving any place for me to even open the door).

It was bit late in the night and my 2 years old daughter was becoming fidgety. We were quite shocked to see our car blocked on all sides. I decided to let my daughter and wife stay in the car, switched on the AC to let the daughter sleep, and search for the driver of the Mercedes.

Luckily, the security of the building nearby saw the guy driving the Mercedes entering a building on the opposite side. After half an hour of searching for the guy, I found him in a bar enjoying with his mates. As soon as I approached him, he started apologizing immediately for his mistake. I feel that he was aware that he made a mistake of parking parallel to my car. Before leaving, I just told him, "Mate, just be more careful next time."

Lesson learnt - Make sure that one should not park their vehicles in such a way that it blocks someone else's vehicle (even for few minutes). One never knows what emergency the opposite person would face, and he/she might need to take their vehicle out urgently. They won't be able to waste crucial time in searching for other driver who have blocked them.

Just thinking retrospectively. "How would someone else react if they find themselves in exactly the same situation as I was?"
DrCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 01:27   #11887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.jain1990 View Post
I wish there were stricter rules around the lane discipline.
It's very difficult to change the attitude of drivers. Everyone is just too selfish in getting their way out without being concerned that they might be creating a much bigger mess or endangering anyone else in the process.
Existing rules are inadequate to cover many driving no no s
Implementation of these inadequate rules is even less.
Fines when implemented are not prohibitory in nature.

Focus is more on speeding past ridiculous and ever changing speed limits. Change in direction without indicating or not following rules (or common sense) causes more heartburn and accidents than speed by itself.

I didn't even go anywhere and still have enough angst built up to continue ranting.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 07:43   #11888
BHPian

I was just commenting to my wife about this city where people follow rules, albeit a very low bar, in that they stop at traffic lights, as opposed to the place where I work, when this happened.

Having a median has its own problems and shows the importance of following the lead given by the vehicle in front.

As commonly seen in these parts the offender has a political flag on the bonnet and driven at some speed though with headlights on he might have been under the impression he had the right of way.

Last edited by Duckdoc : 2nd January 2022 at 07:53.
Duckdoc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:38   #11889
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Fines when implemented are not prohibitory in nature.
I feel it is more about the attitude of the government. If the want, they can implement the laws. I remember the time when all of a sudden the fine on basic things was increased from Rs 100 to Rs 600. That enforced people to wear seatbelts/helmets. Even that was enough to make people not jump the red lights.

Like you said, the government is only focused on speed rather they should put in efforts to start correcting the behavior. Implement steep fines, start cancelling the driver license and see the magic happening.

There is a need of massive reform especially when it comes to the lane discipline
Old 2nd January 2022, 18:24   #11890
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno driver (rental car) must be a learner. Atleast he drove like that. Too slow and hesitant.

The ertiga driver was equally unable to make a decision. Both try to stay on their course.

When you can see 4 different automobiles ahead on 2 lanes
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screenshot_20220102182130_video-player.jpg

PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:44   #11891
Distinguished - BHPian

One inch from death

No helmet, no sense.

Sad that he rides for a living (online food delivery).

PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 15:04   #11892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Baleno driver...
The ertiga driver
Deja moo

I was once in the position of the Baleno, and got bullied out of my lane and nearly onto the median by an uncouth Renault Fluence driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Encountered this extreme case of insanity, white Renault Fluence, KA-02-MH-7848 on 25th Dec, somewhere before Krishnagiri on NH-7:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=RPf5t20ecWA

It's worth mentioning that all such heroics did not take him any further ahead than a car length or two from other normal people on the highway.

If this person is known to anybody in the forum, please advise him/her to stay away from vehicles. I wish such specimens find their way into formaldehyde jars before they reproduce. The medical community can learn a lot about insanely dangerous life forms, and the world will see one less strain of imbeciles.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 21:30   #11893
anb
BHPian

Dangerous driving by Maruti Eco driver on Mundakayam- Kuttikanam ghat road. He attempted overtaking a series of vehicles on a blind turn. He should thank the red swift driver for avoiding an accident. In spite of this, he continued to drive in the same way.

anb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 22:22   #11894
Distinguished - BHPian

I had to brake a bit to let this idiot not get PIT maneuvered by my car when he carried out that stupid overtake

PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 10:23   #11895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Going by the Traveller's driving pattern in the first 5 seconds, he must have been riding your tail for a long while before that. As a standard rule, always let a tailgater overtake you first, before attempting your own overtake of a long vehicle ahead of you.
This is not true, there was a lot of time and space for him to overtake if he wanted to do so early on. He was maintaining his distance and showing no signs of overtake until that point. Will attach some snips.

Like I said earlier, if I notice someone driving in an unsafe manner; first step from my side would be to give them side and I've been practicing this for years now.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1641962014824.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1641962014813.jpg
Venky03 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks